Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: The Perspiration Implementation

I thought Cuoco's non-verbal acting was on point this episode; I loved a lot of her reaction shots.

I also felt like I learned a bit about fencing! Say what you want about Kripke, but he's a decent instructor.

I too loudly clamour for old-school Stuart.

• Love 6

Kripke would have been tolerable if the writers hadn't decided it was worth a cheap laugh to turn up the creepy Kripke which puts him in some kind of contest with Stuart for being repellent. Amy should have picked up a fencing sword (foil?) and showed her own skill (of course it probably wouldn't occur to the writers that a woman could be talented at the sport but it would have been funny to me if she had appeared in full regalia and ready to duel).

Oh, THAT would have been AWESOME!  I can definitely see Amy knowing how to fence!

• Love 6

Amy fencing would be as funny as when the girls took Sheldon out dancing and he and Amy did the Cha Cha, I just saw that rerun.

Amy would love to have Sheldon back but if she was into manipulation she would have taken him up in an instant when he invited to to be a roomie.  I was proud she didn't drop into the 'if I'm there I can fix him' trap.  And I'm proud of her that she feels it's perfectly OK and nobody's going to stop her from seeing her friends across the hall.  She did nothing wrong to avoid him and she knows it.  And she didn't go there to bump into Sheldon.  Good for her. Leonard wanting to let them talk means nothing more than their friends want them to work it out. 

Yeah the 17 min is crap.  22 is bad enough when you watch a lot of old tv and they go about 25.  Hour shows went from 44 to 36 now.  I've been binge watching Masterchef UK and their hour shows are 55 min.  But they're smart enough to not need to start a show on the :00 or :30 over there.  It's all about making the toilet paper roll smaller in order to save money. Notice how 16 ounce products have shrunk to 12? I have senior moments too waiting for commercials.  And when I mute I often forget to unmute and I end up losing interest in the movie I'm watching right now. 

Show must have heard some of you last week who wanted to see Amy go out with Kripke and Stuart. Now we know that's impossible.

I hope next week we get the girls and guys together.  Bowling would be a hoot.  The girls going all out and being competitive and the guys doing the math on angles.  I can just see Amy's approach!  Well, everybody's.  And/or maybe a great Halloween costume episode.  I'd like to see Sheldon and Amy exchange gifts again this Xmas.  What if Penny just decides to move in and Amy takes Penny's apt?

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 5

The salaries, however high they are, are still a drop in the bucket in terms of how much money this show is making.  They don't need the revenue from the extra commercials just to make ends meet, they're greedy and know they can sell that ad time for big bucks because of how popular the show is.

Exactly. It doesn't start with giving the actors new contracts and then going "Okay, we better cram another commercial in there to find the money." The actors are only paid their high salaries because the advertisers are knocking on the door already. And that happens, of course, because we all are watching the show. So, paradoxically, the 17-min episodes are kinda our fault.

I also felt like I learned a bit about fencing! Say what you want about Kripke, but he's a decent instructor.

Seconded.  I fenced for a couple years on my college team and Kripke's instructions were on point.

• Love 4

I too loudly clamour for old-school Stuart.

Old school Stuart was only ever in a couple of episodes as far as I can remember.  He took a turn towards pathetic and creepy awhile ago now.  The way he is now is just more of the same.  It would be nice if the writers decide to have Stuart take some of the  good advice the girls gave him but I doubt that will happen somehow.  With Howard and Raj in relationships they need another voice on the show for the creepy-icky-pathetic-loser with gals guys out there.

Old school Stuart was only ever in a couple of episodes as far as I can remember.  He took a turn towards pathetic and creepy awhile ago now.  The way he is now is just more of the same.  It would be nice if the writers decide to have Stuart take some of the  good advice the girls gave him but I doubt that will happen somehow.  With Howard and Raj in relationships they need another voice on the show for the creepy-icky-pathetic-loser with gals guys out there.

While I don't like the creepy loser thing, I do have to admit the writers don't show it working.  Howard did not get Bernadette until he matured and grew up. The same with Raj and Emily.  Stuart might be a loser but it is certainly not being portrayed anything but what it is. I'd be much more upset if this sort of behavior was being rewarded.

I laughed out loud during this episode--I was flat on my back in hospital hooked up to a morphine drip.  So I watched again last night when I got home and it still made me LOL.  The  fencing was great.

Completely off topic, but I've been watching Facts of Life on TV Land and it's clear they've cut parts for commercials because they've deleted scenes which sometimes make the next scene make less sense.

Try watching the Golden Girls.  Whole scenes have hit the editing floor.

If you are unlucky enough to come down with the awful stomach bug which I found out is sweeping our area--simply pray for death.  I have never been in  as much pain as this. 

Edited by One More Time

As much as the guys dislike Kripke, I don't ever remember them making fun of his speech, even behind his back.  It is nice that they don't, but it is surprising.  They make fun of each other so they certainly enjoy that sort of humor.

It is sad what they've turned Stuart into. He's the worst version of the earlier Howard.

They've totally regressed Stuart taking him from the good character he was into the new Howard since Howard is married now.

I think Lorre and Co. kept thinking of creepy pervert loser jokes (which are never funny, IMO) and since Howard is married and Two and a Half Men is no longer on, they changed Stuart into a creepy pervert loser.  They seem to toy with the idea of turning Raj into one, as he verged on creepy when he was looking for a girlfriend.   

• Love 2

As much as the guys dislike Kripke, I don't ever remember them making fun of his speech, even behind his back.  It is nice that they don't, but it is surprising.  They make fun of each other so they certainly enjoy that sort of humor.

For some reason I think there was one scene where they did make fun of him but I can't remember it and maybe it never happened!  I loved the line Raj gave in an early Kripke episode where he was (paraphrased) "what part of America does that accent come from?"

• Love 2

There was definitely an episode where they made fun of his speech impediment (apparently it's called rhotacism) and he called them out on it. I'm not sure but I think it was the episode where Kripke and Sheldon fought over the same office.

• Love 1

There was definitely an episode where they made fun of his speech impediment (apparently it's called rhotacism) and he called them out on it. I'm not sure but I think it was the episode where Kripke and Sheldon fought over the same office.

I think it was the episode where Sheldon had to retract his findings (he forgot a decimal point, or something like that).  And yes, Sheldon made fun of it, Kripke called him on it and then immediately joked about Sheldon's mistake.

• Love 2

Thank you to whoever pointed out this was basically a 17 minute episode. What crap. The show is truly coasting right now on what remaining reputation it has. I even found the Diego Montoya variations pretty dull, like filler instead of thinking of real dialogue.

Kripke actually was quite a good instructor

And yes Sheldon mocked kripke just once for his lisp/speech problem and then immediately apologized. I forget which episode, one where he and Sheldon were fighting.

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1