Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Girl Meets Texas: Part 1

Based on the promos and Rowan Blanchard's Twitter, I take it this is the beginning of the Love Triangle from Hell™? Honestly, at this point, I think Maya and Lucas should just get together, and Riley should date Charlie (the sweet, albeit boring guy we met in "Girl Meets Semi-Formal.") At least this episode looks interesting though.

• Love 3

Riley should date Charlie (the sweet, albeit boring guy we met in "Girl Meets Semi-Formal.")

I personally wasn't too thriled with Zay when he first showed up, thought the character was too over the top, and didn't gel with the group very well. But I really liked him in Girl Meets Rah Rah, and now I'm pleased with the addition, hah, especially when he comments how weird it is that Riley's friends just come straight through her bedroom window without asking. Anyways, my point is, that with a bit more time and development spent on the character, I think I could grow to like Charlie too. I already loved how upfront he was about wanting to ask Riley out to the dance. He knew what he wanted and went for it..and admirable trait.

• Love 2

By the end of Part 3, I predict Riley and Lucas will still be together. The writers are clearly going for the "Riley is such a good friend and a selfless person that she is putting her own feelings aside to make Maya happy" angle. The writers have spent way too much time hyping up this three parter, and after part 1 just now I feel confident in saying that the relationships will remain the same by the end of it. Classic misdirection.

It seems like they're going for a one sided crush situation (on Maya's part) and Lucas is probably going to be written as acting clueless as though he had no idea Maya was into him and that he is still only interested in Riley. Sucks for Maya though but she'll move on and the friendships will remain intact.

ETA: One thing that did bother me was Riley telling Lucas about Maya's feelings..she really had no right to do so. I know her intentions are good and it's only because she cares, but that's not her place to tell Lucas how Maya feels. If Maya wanted him to know, she would have told him flat out. By bringing all of this to the surface, she's kind of (unintentionally maybe) forcing a discussion that Maya possibly wasn't ready for at the moment.

Edited by grandemocha

That was interesting.  I don't mind the triangle one way or the other.  I think that each pairing has its pros and cons.  I didn't like how Maya made Lucas riding the bull all about her.  Ultimatums just make you look like jackass and she did when she did that.  I did however appreciate how transparent her feeling were, we rarely see how much Maya cares about anything let alone Lucas.

I thought that Riley was also wrong.  Having faith doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want.  It doesn't mean that the person you have faith in will be able to ride a bull.  Its not the same as cheerleading.  Cheerleading without training is dangerous but not as dangerous as riding a bull.  I thought the whole storyline was poorly thought out.  I refuse to believe that Lucas' grandpa or any adult person would let a 15? year old boy ride a dangerous bull with no prior training.  Riley also wouldn't have been able to get to him so fast but I digress.

Riley is obviously lying about having sisterly feelings for Lucas.  She's saying what she thinks Maya wants to hear and I will be sorely disappointed in the next two episodes if Maya allows her to continue to lie about it.  I think that her heart is in the right place but that is going to hurt everyone in the long run.  

I will be satisfied if they both admit their true feelings for Lucas and he decides who he really likes.  I don't like that they wrote this storyline in such a way that is guaranteed to end in someone getting their feelings hurt.  I wish that they had Riley or Maya starting to actually like Farkle or for Riley to actually give Charlie a chance.  I would include Zay in this as well but I've seen no indications that he likes either of the girls or that either of them like him in a romantic one.  I also feel like they're too young for romance even though Cory and Topanga were the same age when they starting dating.

That's one of the things I liked about BMW is that there was never a love triangle between Cory, Shawn, and Topanga.  Shawn only went for Topanga to force Cory to admit his feelings.  It would have been nice to not have a romance be a threat to Riley and Maya's friendhsip.

Hey, Lucas's grandfather was Mr. Friendly on Lost!  He was Bo Crowder on Justified too.

Riley took her psychotic self-entitlement and used it to "encourage" Lucas.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

That's one of the things I liked about BMW is that there was never a love triangle between Cory, Shawn, and Topanga.  Shawn only went for Topanga to force Cory to admit his feelings.  It would have been nice to not have a romance be a threat to Riley and Maya's friendhsip.

I truly 150% believe that none of this will be a threat to Maya and Riley's friendship. Those two will stay BFF forever (..or at least the duration of the series, haha). However, I get why people are so quick to equate Maya, Riley, and Lucas to Shawn, Topanga, and Cory because it's so convenient, but I personally never saw the supposed similarities. Yes, Shawn = Maya makes sense in a way, and Riley is obviously a combo of her parents, more so Cory, but I have never seen any indication whatsoever that Lucas = Topanga. Not even  little bit. If anything, I'd say Farkle with his recent maturation and changing style is closer to original Topanga in the show universe. 

• Love 4

By the end of Part 3, I predict Riley and Lucas will still be together. The writers are clearly going for the "Riley is such a good friend and a selfless person that she is putting her own feelings aside to make Maya happy" angle. The writers have spent way too much time hyping up this three parter, and after part 1 just now I feel confident in saying that the relationships will remain the same by the end of it. Classic misdirection.

It seems like they're going for a one sided crush situation (on Maya's part) and Lucas is probably going to be written as acting clueless as though he had no idea Maya was into him and that he is still only interested in Riley. Sucks for Maya though but she'll move on and the friendships will remain intact.

ETA: One thing that did bother me was Riley telling Lucas about Maya's feelings..she really had no right to do so. I know her intentions are good and it's only because she cares, but that's not her place to tell Lucas how Maya feels. If Maya wanted him to know, she would have told him flat out. By bringing all of this to the surface, she's kind of (unintentionally maybe) forcing a discussion that Maya possibly wasn't ready for at the moment.

While I agree Riley did give off those vibes that she was only saying those things for Maya and Disney does often do the misdirection thing, I think that Maya and Lucas at the very least are going to give it a go. Like, you can clearly see in the promos that something actually happens between the two as Maya is adamant that Riley know about it. And they have been putting all kinds of hints about Lucas' true feelings as well. The fact that he described Maya to Zay as the 'blonde beauty' and the fact that in this very episode when they did the girls' outfit reveal Lucas' primary focus was immediately Maya with Riley as a clear afterthought. But, Lucas' obliviousness is probably going to be a thing. I see it playing out more as; once confronted with Maya's feelings he'll suddenly realize that it was her he loved all along. Happens all the time in rom-coms.

This actually is my favourite episode in the entire series because outside of the first couple minutes where she and Maya forced Lucas into a contest they had no idea about the requirements/difficulties for without his consent Riley was really likeable. I loved the standpoint she took. It was very in character considering the fact that Girl Meets Rah Rah last week dealt with her having complete support no matter how stupid her endeavors are. Of course, she'd be all for Lucas. However, it was very well handled imo. She supported Lucas because of her trust in him. And she let him make his own decision in the end. It was a lot different than last week where Maya reveals in the end that they wouldn't have let Riley ring the bell even is she wanted to.

Maya was irritating as all get out in this episode. She flipped out which is understandable since she and Riley had no idea what bull riding really was. However, I took major offense at her having the gall to attempt to impede him by using their friendship. Like, Riley apparently loves him like a brother. Okay. Yet, this love means that she's willing to see him get hurt. Whereas romantic love means that Maya can't handle it? Are we trying to say that familial is somehow not as strong as romantic? Technically speaking, how you care about someone should not determine your response to their potential endangerment. Friends are just as inclined to be terrified as significant others. It was a stupid distinction the show made just to drum up more drama for the Triangle.

Edit: And I forgot to mention, though I liked the way Riley supported Lucas, I did not like that she did support him if that makes sense. He hasn't ridden anything be that sheep or bull since he was 5. They have made it clear he quit after Judy the sheep. Therefore, he has had no training whatsoever. He definitely should not have been riding a bull. I don't care how much he thought he could do it. He obviously was being influenced by a variety of factors. Seeing as they made it seem like Austin is this tiny Hicktown, it made sense to me that his family's reputation was on the line. So I wasn't surprised he chose to go through with it. He is a 15 year old boy afraid of disappointing people.

Edited by FrumiusManxome
  • Love 3

This is a fiction, fan pandering 101. I always said it and I will stand by it. The boy doesn't even like Maya, why are we forcing this? He clearly likes Riley if this is leading to some secret feelings for Maya that all of a sudden show up when they share a moment it will be chapter two of a Lucas and Maya fanfiction. I don't buy it, there are ways so many ways to go about this and Riley sacrificing her feelings when she clearly doesn't think of Lucas as a brother just so once again Maya can have what she wants is not the way to do it. And a stupid triangle is not the way to do it either, end Riley and Lucas give it some time let them get over it and give the louder fans Maya and Lucas and we can move on from this ship thing that has turned into people pitting the girls against each other and Lucas has to choose because we're all watching GMW to see who Lucas chooses!

As you can tell, I hate this storyline

• Love 5

Whatever happened to Josh? I thought Maya had a crush on him, even though he's too old for her (at the moment, anyway). I like Maya, but she can't have crushes on all the guys in this show.

While I don't necessarily mind that Lucas was able to set a record riding Tombstone, it would've made for a more interesting lesson to have him decide against it, not because of Maya but simply because it's dangerous, and one's safety is more important than proving a silly point based on riding a sheep from years ago. Would've been a more mature thing to do. That said, I liked that Lucas went to talk to the little boy who fell off the sheep. Glad to see him with a bit more personality too.

While I'm here, can I just briefly say that I wish Texas was depicted a bit less stereotypically on TV? Yes, bull riding goes on in certain parts of the state, but there are plenty of big cities where people have never seen a horse, a cowboy, and never wear boots. I've known people who moved to TX and were astounded by how West Coast it seemed and said it was nothing like they imagined based on TV/movies.

• Love 2

I think Riley called Mya out on Mya's own feelings for Lucas because, clearly, Riley actually likes him as more than a brother and this way any potential for Mya and Lucas is 'out there' and known and has to be dealt with. It would be, to me in that position, more hurtful to not just get it out there and see if they're a potential couple or not so I could stop wondering.

The part that bothers me most is that Mya has to or should know that Riley is most likely lying. She should at least give it time to see what plays out with Lucas and Riley first before dating Lucas, if that's what occurs tonight.

Edited by Rebecca

I disagree completely that riley is lying about seeing lucas as a brother. Now, if this episode was the very first time we heard about this then maybe Id consider it as a realistic option. However, they have been building up this brother sister angle for weeks now... And for what? Just to have it not happen? I just don't buy it. I think they are doing this so when maya and lucas eventually end up together it will make more sense when riley accepts it.

Also, this was hands down my favorite episode of the series. Zay at it once again with his comedy and charm. I loved seeing maya so exposed and concerned about lucas. I also disagree that she made the moment all about her. She made it all about LUCAS. She was terrified for him and she did the only thing she could think of to get him to not get on that bull. It was a beautiful and sad moment. All of the hints are leading to one direction. They have been for several weeks now. I don't see why they would do all of this just to not have it go anywhere. My prediction, lucas and maya will be together. Now when it happens, I'm not sure yet. 

Edited by Tyakack
  • Love 2

Whatever happened to Josh? I thought Maya had a crush on him, even though he's too old for her (at the moment, anyway). I like Maya, but she can't have crushes on all the guys in this show.

If you didn't see it in one of the threads earlier this month, the actor was in a bad wreck/accident. Likely won't see him anymore this season unless he had taped some scenes before it happened.

• Love 1
Riley is obviously lying about having sisterly feelings for Lucas.  She's saying what she thinks Maya wants to hear and I will be sorely disappointed in the next two episodes if Maya allows her to continue to lie about it.  I think that her heart is in the right place but that is going to hurt everyone in the long run.

I kind of wonder if Maya telling her (in the promo for what I assume is part 3), "something happened between me and Lucas" is misdirection on the show's part.  Possibly, nothing happened, but she's saying it did to get Riley's reaction to it and force Riley into showing exactly how she really feels about Lucas.  It would certainly be payback for Riley forcing Maya's feelings out in the open. 

I think if the show wasn't on Disney, we might see small hints of growing resentment on Maya's part toward Riley and the whole situation. If I were to put myself in Maya's shoes as a 14 year old girl, I would very likely be a little bitter and resentful toward Riley. Riley is sweet as pie, has 700+ A's, has two parents who love her with good jobs & would do anything for her, a little brother who adores her, a cute boyfriend who likes her and only her, and great friends. It's hard to resent someone like that who is so nice, but throw in some low self-esteem and the groundwork for discontent is present. Then, the fact that Riley told Lucas that Maya likes him without checking with Maya if that was okay and this (my prediction for the end of GMW Texas Part 3: leads to Maya getting rejected by Lucas because he still likes Riley..well, that's going to hurt. Getting rejected by your crush is hard at any age, but getting rejected by your crush at 14 because he likes your best friend and never saw you that way is especially hard.) 

I kind of wonder if Maya telling her (in the promo for what I assume is part 3), "something happened between me and Lucas" is misdirection on the show's part.  Possibly, nothing happened, but she's saying it did to get Riley's reaction to it and force Riley into showing exactly how she really feels about Lucas.

I think something might happen in Part 2? The writers were giving out random lines on twitter that hinted that something might happen in Part 2 that Maya tells Riley about in Part 3. Oh, and apparently Charlie comes back?

The poor actor got into a really horrible motorcycle accident and I think he said he was in the hospital for a month recovering and getting treatment. I think he was supposed to come back in an episode or two, but the cast/crew just finished filming Season 2 a few days ago..so who knows? Maya can have a crush on more than one guy, plenty of teen girls are boy crazy, but obviously not all of the guys will reciprocate her feelings.

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 1

I think if the show wasn't on Disney, we might see small hints of growing resentment on Maya's part toward Riley and the whole situation. If I were to put myself in Maya's shoes as a 14 year old girl, I would very likely be a little bitter and resentful toward Riley. Riley is sweet as pie, has 700+ A's, has two parents who love her with good jobs & would do anything for her, a little brother who adores her, a cute boyfriend who likes her and only her, and great friends. It's hard to resent someone like that who is so nice, but throw in some low self-esteem and the groundwork for discontent is present. Then, the fact that Riley told Lucas that Maya likes him without checking with Maya if that was okay and this (my prediction for the end of GMW Texas Part 3: leads to Maya getting rejected by Lucas because he still likes Riley..well, that's going to hurt. Getting rejected by your crush is hard at any age, but getting rejected by your crush at 14 because he likes your best friend and never saw you that way is especially hard.) 

lol If this wasn't Disney channel Riley wouldn't be so nice about her so called best friend liking the guy she likes........

Honestly though, does Riley really want Lucas as a boyfriend or does she just like the idea of one. She said they tried holding hands, they tried saying they were a couple, and she wan't comfortable. What's Lucas supposed to do? Never have a real girlfriend because Riley has a crush, but doesn't want to really be in a relationship? It's not fair to him that he has to wait forever because she's got the mentality of a squirrel. Hell, even Auggie has a better relationship with Ava than Riley and Lucas have. 

Riley really isn't a great friend though. She accuses her best friend of stealing, points out how poor she is, demands special treatment all the time, needs coddled and catered to, signs her male friends up for things they don't want to do. Why are these people friends with her? 

• Love 2

lol If this wasn't Disney channel Riley wouldn't be so nice about her so called best friend liking the guy she likes........

Well, Riley did go straight to Lucas and tell him how Maya felt without Maya's permission...which is funny as hell, because if I remember correctly, many people were prematurely angry at the possibility that Maya would tell Riley that she loved Lucas like a brother, but in the end it was Maya that knew how to keep her mouth shut and Riley who went ahead and blabbed..

Which like I said, if this wasn't the Disney channel and Riley wasn't 50% level headed teen and 50% fairy princess who spends alot of her time being coddled by everyone around her..I would think she did it on purpose to mark her territory and keep her boyfriend by purposely causing a confrontation that Maya wasn't ready to discuss and Lucas perhaps hadn't considered. But again..this is Disney so on this channel, Riley only did it because she's sweet as pie and just the best friend ever!..

If the writers ever decide on a consistent characterization for Riley, I'd be damn overjoyed. Either she has the mental capacity of an elementary school child with her daddy as her teacher and can't take NO for an answer, or she acts her age and can accurately observe other people and their emotions. They can't have it both ways, it's a jarring contrast.

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 3

Well, Riley did go straight to Lucas and tell him how Maya felt without Maya's permission...which is funny as hell, because if I remember correctly, many people were prematurely angry at the possibility that Maya would tell Riley that she loved Lucas like a brother, but in the end it was Maya that knew how to keep her mouth shut and Riley who went ahead and blabbed..

Which like I said, if this wasn't the Disney channel and Riley wasn't 50% level headed teen and 50% fairy princess who spends alot of her time being coddled by everyone around her..I would think she did it on purpose to mark her territory and keep her boyfriend by purposely causing a confrontation that Maya wasn't ready to discuss and Lucas perhaps hadn't considered. But again..this is Disney so on this channel, Riley only did it because she's sweet as pie and just the best friend ever!..

If the writers ever decide on a consistent characterization for Riley, I'd be damn overjoyed. Either she has the mental capacity of an elementary school child with her daddy as her teacher and can't take NO for an answer, or she acts her age and can accurately observe other people and their emotions. They can't have it both ways, it's a jarring contrast.

So let's turn this episode into let's bash Riley characters for what? Just like Riley didn't seem too bothered by Maya liking her cardboard, I bet Maya won't seem too mad either because as you said its Disney channel, it goes both ways though. And personally Maya thinking Riley likes Lucas as a brother is stupid no offence (especially knowing that she is wrong because Riley doesn't), and her not saying anything isn't something that should be bragged about and applauded. Telling someone how they feel? And now finding out Maya has liked Lucas this long would only make her suspicious in my eyes, you like the guy so you convinced yourself Riley only likes him as a brother so it will be ok for her to go after him. It's a good thing she never went to Riley and tried to tell her what she feels. Anyway somehow it's because Riley is written a certain way it is her fault which wasn't even on display this episode. Riley actually behaving mature and stepping aside is seen a terrible thing? If it was Maya who did that you would be going on about how mature and grown up and a better friend she is and how it's because she had such a tough life! She never gets anything, Riley should give up everything she has because Maya's grew up in such a hard single family household with a mother who worked her butt off, and is the only one in the world to suffer. Riley should feel really bad about being blessed and having so much because Maya didn't, so she should give up her boyfriend who she has liked and shown it it since the beginning of the show

As I said, pitting the two girls against each other, damn you show!

Edited by beetlesoda
  • Love 3

So let's turn this episode into let's bash Riley characters for what?

No one is bashing Riley, no one said Riley should give up her boyfriend or feel bad about leading a charmed life and I think you may be taking this a bit too personally. I think we're about a half step away from personal attacks which isn't allowed on the board, so perhaps we should just agree to disagree and move on.

It's just a show, and a show primarily created for children at that. No matter what the resolution is, it's really not that big of a deal. 

...Moving on. Did anyone catch where exactly in Texas Lucas is supposed to be from? I thought I read up thread someone said Austin, but I actually am from Texas and lived in Austin for a few years and I can't recall any part that looks like what we saw on the show. The set designers could have easily made Lucas's family home more conventional/urban and still have had the same plot!

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 1

No one is bashing Riley, no one said Riley should give up her boyfriend or feel bad about leading a charmed life and I think you may be taking this a bit too personally. I think we're about a half step away from personal attacks which isn't allowed on the board, so perhaps we should just agree to disagree and move on.

It's just a show, and a show primarily created for children at that. No matter what the resolution is, it's really not that big of a deal. 

No personal attacks was coming from anyone and no one was taking it personal, its was you defending Maya and me deciding to defend Riley as I tend to always do. Was just a disagreement discussion of a forum. But yes, agree to disagree

This triangle stuff is annoying to me. And the jock type having girls swoon is so typical. I really thought that at some point one of the girls would give Farkle a shot. I thought it would be Maya that would give Farkle a shot honestly.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 2

This triangle stuff is annoying to me. And the jock type having girls swoon is so typical. I really thought that at some point one of the girls would give Farkle a shot. I thought it would be Maya that would give Farkle a shot honestly.

I think if one of the girls were to give farkle a chance it would be riley. I don't see any kind of spark with him and maya.

I really thought that at some point one of the girls would give Farkle a shot.

Aww, I like Farkle together with Smackle. It's too bad that the actress who plays Smackle is filming another Disney channel pilot because she'd be a welcome addition to the show.

I didn't care for this episode. While Maya and Lucas have chemistry, her sudden all-consuming concern for him seemed to come out of nowhere, as did Riley's announcement that she thought of Lucas as a brother. It's like "let's see how fast we can rework the main romantic couple."

Wasn't Papa Joe the one in the flashback coffee shop beatnik episode? The one who ended up in jail? He was kind of a dick to Lucas, and I always figured it would be Lucas's father who was that.

Not for nothing, but would Judy the sheep even still be alive? Shouldn't she have ended up as chops or a stew by now?

• Love 1

I didn't care for this episode. While Maya and Lucas have chemistry, her sudden all-consuming concern for him seemed to come out of nowhere, as did Riley's announcement that she thought of Lucas as a brother. It's like "let's see how fast we can rework the main romantic couple."

I'm not saying it wasn't still terrible, but I wouldn't say it was out of nowhere.  The show spent a few episodes building up the "like a brother" thing.

The tacit admission that Rowan and whatshisname have had zero chemistry from Day 1, while Sabrina has had it is also there, of course, but it's not like they did this all in one giant reveal.  We've known about Maya's feelings for awhile now.  As for Riley seeming OKAY with that?  If we're being brutally honest, both the writing AND the acting let us down a bit there. It wasn't at all clear through either if Riley truly meant what she said or if she was being self-sacrificing. And it SHOULD have been (made clear, I mean). I'm sure the next two episodes will explore that, but in the "show... don't tell" department, both the writers and Rowan failed here. Even Sabrina didn't do any real justice to the scene. Her parts were certainly properly readable by the audience, but the character's reactions should have been a bit more complicated than the simple two extremes of denial and desire.

would Judy the sheep even still be alive? Shouldn't she have ended up as chops or a stew by now?

Yeah, that's annoying writing. Sheep live about a dozen years at the outside. At best that sheep would have had to have been very young when he rode it and very old (too old to be used for sheep riding) now.

• Love 1

You can clearly tell that Riley is upset that maya likes Lucas but i feel like she is trying to save her feelings by saying that she loves Lucas like a brother which i think is bull also the whole time riley was telling Lucas that they were brother a sister Lucas was n to happy i think he really loves Riley and i think Riley really likes Lucas. I'm still really into the idea that maya loves uncle josh and Riley with Lucas I think that is they way it should be. maybe Riley and Lucas aren't ready for a relationship yet but i think they want a relationship and i think they want to be together. sigh.

I also prefer Maya with Uncle Josh. I know the actor had a nasty accident so I hope he recovers so this messy triangle can end. Yes I know Maya is way to young for Uncle Josh but Sabrina and Uriah are like 2 yrs apart. lol

Sheesh I keep forgetting how young Rowan actually is because she seems beyond her yrs.

I got the feeling Riley was stepping back because she wanted Maya to have what Maya wanted (seriously tired of this "poor Maya has such a terrible life" crap).  The way I see it, Riley and Lucas were uncomfortable when they tried to hold hands and became awkward when they went on a date because they are 14 years old not because they think of each other as brother/sister.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoyed the 3 part Texas storyline, but I don't think Disney needs a love triangle on this show.  The friendships between the core characters, the lessons on the difficulties that come with growing up....that's why I love this show (plus....you know....BMW fan).  

Oh and if I were Lucas, I would be pissed as hell that these two morons signed me up to ride a bull without asking me or having any concept of what a bull even looks like, much less what one can do to a 15 year old boy who hasn't attempted to ride anything since a sheep threw him 10 years ago. 

• Love 3

Episode threads are based on the episode in question. If your rave/grievance/complaint has to do with something that happened in this particular episode, it belongs here. If it involves several episodes or a trend over the course of the series, take it to a thread for that character. If there is not already a thread for the character, feel free to create one.

Please remember that we are here to snark the show and not each other. Remember PTV's Golden Rule: Be Civil to Each Other. If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, please don't say it to another user via the Internet.

If you have a complaint with the trend of discussion in a thread, you can always send a private message to me or Drogo to get our attention. If something needs attention right away, report it and it will send a notification to the entire mod team. If you just really don't like what one person is saying and would prefer not to hear from them, you can ignore them and their posts will no longer be visible to you.

• Love 2
Maya can have a crush on more than one guy, plenty of teen girls are boy crazy, but obviously not all of the guys will reciprocate her feelings.

You obviously never watched Joey Potter on Dawson's Creek.

I'm going to say that Rowan's acting has improved A LOT over the course of this show. Season 1 Rowan would have been in no way able to handle the dramatic scene, so it's been cool to see how Rowan has gotten better over the past 2 years. I also like that they give Riley these little flashes of maturity and understanding, and let her get away from her default bubbly personality.