Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: The Nose

WendyCR72

Thanks Wendy,  After that sneak peek and the look on Castle's face, just like S2 -24 The Deadly Game, I think I will be at Blindspot, and picking up Castle episodes if I have time, So Sad, what our show has become

• Love 1

I liked this episode better than last week.  There were some good light hearted funny moments.  I thought the lady with the supper smeller was funny.  The only downer was the return of Mel B.  That Hayley character is just not needed.

• Love 2

I thought this was pretty terrible until the last 10-15 minutes.  Nose lady (which could have been a really interesting concept) was annoying, Ryan/Espo drama was REALLY annoying, and I couldn't keep all the suspects straight.

But it did pick up when we got Castle and Beckett investigating together.  If Stana and Nathan want to work fewer hours maybe they could just turn it into a 30 minute show? I also thought the shirt smelling thing at the end was sweet, until I remembered that she could just drop the whole investigation and go home thing.

I did think it was interesting that they had the guy who's family originally owned the painting refer to spending his entire adult life looking for the painting. A reference to Beckett's "obsession" maybe? I was expecting them to follow up on that, but I guess it was just subtext.

And was that a wigless Beckett in the promo? Or old footage?

• Love 1

So a witness/suspect of a random murder tracked Castle to his loft based solely on his marriage to Captain Beckett? Isn't that what Beckett is afraid of when investigating this year's big bad. Did they writers not think when they wrote that or were they being ironic or whatever?

I thought it wasn't that great of an episode. The nose lady could have been a good character but because she was so unlikable as a person a little of her went a long way and we got way too much her for her to be funny.

Ryan should just pull a Beckett and skip being a sergeant and go straight to captain.

I'm not sure what the point of Hayley was in this episode. She added absolutely nothing to the plot.

It was good seeing Castle and Beckett investigating together in the end, and the smelling of the shirts was a nice moment, but that still doesn't take away from the ridiculousness of the break-up. It really does create a shadow of the show.

• Love 3

Was this episode written by two giggling frat boys? I don't like slapstick or juvenile humor and this episode was full of it, Castle farts to get the lady out the house (have we fallen that far?), the fumigation scene and the repetitive arse jokes not my scene at all. Also I don't much care for the exaggerated goofy facial expressions from Fillion to bring in the comedy moments. I like the guest star well enough she was at least memorable.

Instead of sniffing each other's clothing I wish they're start acting like rational adults and talk to each other.  I already know they're both in love so this is not news to me. They have way bigger issues they need to sort out which the writers are refusing to address.

Good to see Martha back, Susan always adds something to every scene she's in.

Lucy is now a regular secondary cast member by the looks of it. 

Less Alexis this week, much better.

Hayley is harmless and works okay with everyone but I still don't see the point of her.

Kate takes more of her stuff in yet another teeny tiny bag SIGH. She's going to have to make dozens of trips at this rate. 

Castle and Kate had a fair amount of shared moments together but it doesn't lessen my annoyance about what they're doing with so many other interesting directions to go in TPTB chose one that is blatantly manipulative and is completely unnecessary.

He wants her back yeah I think we've been beaten over the head TO DEATH with that.

Kate is wearing one of those stupid tie tops again.

Edited by verdana

I did like the case so the new writer did fine on that part but I was kinda annoyed that Espo makes Sarge. I did like the nose lady since Castle got her to live a little and she was so excited to meet Martha. We did get some competent!Castle trapping the guy in the trunk and taking down the assistant in the loft. This ep still felt like it would've been in the s4 douchbag arc. Castle would've have hope that Beckett likes him after finding out her secret instead of try to win wife back which is still not working with these depressing endings.

I kinda feel bad that these new writers are stuck with the Caskett separation instead of trying to put their own stamp on the Caskett happily married vibe so we can see how they do on that front. I guessing this new writer watched s3 cause Ryan shooting Espo was similar to Ryan almost shooting Castle tho those 2 having a tiff isn't fun either since we got the Caskett separation going on the same time.

Wasn't really a point to Haley this week, but didn't Serena Kaye have basically the same type of job of retrieving art? And we continue the s4 era with Slaughter in the next ep.

As for telling Ryan and Espo that if they can't sort out their beef "you're doing it in therapy" I wish Kate was.

Calling him babe, a hug, a touch, shared smiles, sniffing each other's clothing, building theory together, sad love songs. That ending was pure manipulative shipper bait, superficial and meaningless in the general scheme of things. Screw all that and tell your husband what your doing for fucks sake and stop lying and can Castle grow a brain and finally figure out what is wife is up to?

Previously those words and little touches and moments would have been sweet and charming but no longer they grate given the circumstances. She's left him for crying out loud and the writers are clearly trying to pretend it's no big deal whilst teasing their audience with moments like that ending and it's not working for me but looking on tumblr and twitter ALL THE FEELS MY HEART IS BREAKING! Job done.

I saw a fan say If you ignore the scenes where they’re talking about the separation, or Castle trying to get Beckett back, it was Caskett acting like they always used to do. That's exactly the problem I have with all this whole stupid contrived separation, they shouldn't be able to ignore something this serious and carry on doing what they're doing, everything that happens between them feels forced and unbelievable and the underlying sadness colours whatever I'm watching. I'm glad other fans enjoyed this episode and can look past all that but I can't. I wish I knew what this story has added to the show because I don't see it, really hampers them.

Not happy with Espo passing the exam so easily and gets a promotion over Ryan to Sergeant given his past transgressions it feels wrong somehow.

Detective ASSposito. Ryan gets careless and shoot Espo in the arse. Good to see Espo again on the receiving end literally but making Ryan incompetent now for fun... meh

Edited by verdana

So a witness/suspect of a random murder tracked Castle to his loft based solely on his marriage to Captain Beckett? Isn't that what Beckett is afraid of when investigating this year's big bad. Did they writers not think when they wrote that or were they being ironic or whatever?

Ikr? The separation is redic since everyone and their mother knows they're married and continue wearing the rings. Plus there was no mention of Locksat this week so nothing is moving forward. Another ep where clueless!Castle is still in the dark. The shirt smelling would've been sweet if Castle was on a book tour and Beckett was at home in the loft but now it's just meh. 

• Love 2

Wouldn't one cop shooting another cop be a pretty damn big deal? Like investigations, taking of his gun & being assigned desk duty, kind of big. Not oops, my bad! Hell, I suspect 90% of the audience knew that was Espo in silhouette, but we are to think Ryan would just shoot without knowing whom he is shooting at. Really? Ryan will never make sergeant at that rate.

• Love 3

I would have expected Ryan shooting Espo to be a big deal too, it's playing up stupidity for cheap laughs. Kate seems very accommodating as Captain lol.

The shirt smelling would've been sweet if Castle was on a book tour and Beckett was at home in the loft but now it's just meh.

Spot on, it would have been adorable but now these sort of scenes only serve to highlight the sheer weirdness of the most meaningless break up evah.

Pity 'The Nose' couldn't sniff out Kate's LOCKSAT secret and let poor sad sack Castle in on it because at the moment it looks like only divine intervention is going to clue him in. There is nothing funny about Castle being this goofy and clueless about his wife.

Nothing says true love like "cause I need to pick up the rest of my stuff" *applause* way to go to writers that's putting the spark back in this relationship.

It's unrealistic that a wife would leave her spouse without any explanation other than saying she "needed space" and this doesn't cause any anger in her husband. Instead of Castle desperately trying to win her back I wish he would focus on the possible reasons why she left and what she might be needing to do that requires her to be apart from him. Some fans seem to think that progress has been made on this front with the latest revelation that Beckett is very attracted to him but I don't see it.

Since when did Castle need someone to tell him that Beckett finds him hot? She's his wife, he's known her for seven years. To have Castle be so accommodating one second when she asks if she can come over to collect yet more things and then pleased over this latest news was laughably unrealistic. That was a WTF moment right there.

Edited by verdana

Not happy with Espo passing the exam so easily and gets a promotion over Ryan to Sergeant given his past transgressions it feels wrong somehow.

He hasn't made sargeant yet. He just passed the exam. I would hope that after that there are other more personal qualifications considered. Or maybe he'll become the Chief of Police.

Vikram got mentioned as working for the NYPD and since no one said, "Who?" my theory that he really went back to DC and Beckett is hallucinating him is off target. Unless there are two Vikrams (it's a pretty common name) and she has them confused in her unmedicated state.

Quite liked the story. Nice to see they are back to introducing the murderer in Minute 12 again.

95% of what they're doing they could have done without a Castle breakup. Or at least they could have found some reason for a temporary split that made the teensiest bit of sense. But being all lighthearted and changing nothing except sleeping arrangements while pretending there's a Big Bad Reason for it is just bizarre. I used to love this show. Now I'm just watching a trainwreck and I can't look away for fear of missing something even more stupendously silly. I can't imagine what insanity they're going to pull to try to tie this storyline up.

If they weren't on a different network, I'd say they should do a crossover with Heroes Reborn and make Kate's spy buddy an Evo and find out that Senator Bracken was really Noah Bennett in disguise while he had his memory wiped and Kate's mom was really part of a secret anti-Primatech activist group. Then Castle could find out and be super enthusiastic about superpowers and annoy all the villains by asking them to show off their powers at inopportune moments, thus distracting them and saving the day. And Esposito and Ryan could team up with El Vengador in his muscle car and ride off into the sunset.

• Love 4

I rather enjoyed the moniker "Asspo", both for obvious reasons and for the fact that he's my least favorite of the big four (Castle/Beckett/Ryan/Asspo). Honestly, I wish I had thought up this nickname years ago!

Everyone knows that Castle is married to Captain Beckett at the 12th lol. This week it's the gunman turning up to make the announcement - seriously the guy needs to either move or fire the doorman. If that didn't show the idiocy of Kate's desire to protect him by moving out nothing will.

Beckett told Vikram she needed to solve this case quickly and get back to Castle because she knows if she stays away too long he'll get suspicious, so why is she moving more of her stuff out suddenly? Isn't that making it more likely he'll get suspicious and clingy? How does moving out strengthen things between them and not signify to Castle she's emotionally moved on? Idiotic.

I honestly don't get how Rick can be smiling at the end there when his wife has gone and he still doesn't know why. Love doesn't conquer all, communication and mutual respect helps too.

I heard the Vikram name drop but Beckett seems to be hardly slaving away on this case based on what I've seen so far. Exactly how long does she plan on keeping Rick in the dark as she tries to solve what no one else can? Months? Years? At this rate Castle will be pushing 50 by the time she comes home.

I was surprised how easy it was for Hayley to be accepted by Beckett as part of her team, I agree she was playing the Serena Kaye role this week. It was very unprofessional of Beckett to talk to Ryan about shooting Espo in front of someone who isn't even a member the NYPD and has no business being party to such a serious matter and Hayley certainly shouldn't have been talking. That's a conversation you have in private but everything is played up for comedic purposes these days so they wanted to get the long running joke in about Espo and used Hayley's presence to do it.

It was embarrassing to watch Castle plead with the woman for her assistance in letting him know when he's being charming or annoying with Beckett, that was ridiculous. He's not a gauche teenager but a twice married man in his mid forties, why can't they have him behave like one instead of trying to make everything funny?

And why is he still chasing Beckett around like some lost puppy when he keeps on telling everyone he meets that he knows she needs space? That only makes it worse because he comes over as not only dumb but an insensitive arse. What happened to the "old" Castle who was suave, intuitive, analytical and could read Beckett like no one else? Alas no more. Castle should be devastated his wife has left him and wanting to get answers not sniffing shirts.

The best hug was not the rather one Beckett used when checking on Castle (which seemed rather half hearted to me). It was Castle's one with the nose lady when he gives her the flowers and the tickets which came over as genuine and emotionally meaningful, Fillion by that point had calmed down too and it was nice to see that side of Castle rather than the bumbling buffoon.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Lol i didn't even know EW still recaps. At least they're confused about the break up too.

Speaking of love and the weird ways we show it, the forced separation of Castle and Beckett continues to be baffling. Fortunately, Castle had another person to focus on this week besides himself and his own broken heart, and he was the better for it. Mia and Castle made a bizarre and effective team, and it was heartening to watch them identify each other’s fears and attempt to banish them.

If they weren't on a different network, I'd say they should do a crossover with Heroes Reborn and make Kate's spy buddy an Evo and find out that Senator Bracken was really Noah Bennett in disguise while he had his memory wiped and Kate's mom was really part of a secret anti-Primatech activist group. Then Castle could find out and be super enthusiastic about superpowers and annoy all the villains by asking them to show off their powers at inopportune moments, thus distracting them and saving the day. And Esposito and Ryan could team up with El Vengador in his muscle car and ride off into the sunset.

That would make the storyline more interesting but a crossover with AoS would probably work better since it's on the same network. Then Nathan can add another Whedon/Mutant Enemy production to his credits lol.

• Love 1
Who let Shonda Rhimes into the Castle writer’s room?

LOL at this on tumblr.

95% of what they're doing they could have done without a Castle breakup.

Yeah which is why this separation arc is so stupid and unnecessary, bold storytelling my arse. When you can get rid of it completely and have them interacting in exactly the same way and have everything around them the same too then what's the point? It screws up everything. I hate it can't help it.  

Continuing theme of S8 for me is sadness and frustration. Sad to see the characters pulled in unnatural and damaging directions. Majorly frustrated with the show runners. Another episode that I found enjoyable enough save for the break up. Will not be re-watching any of S8 thus far. I know I sound like a broken record on that one.

It seems likely that we are watching the last season of the show and I am reverting to a S7 was the final season mentality. I think that may be the only way I can enjoy previous seasons. Maybe I can build a wall around S8, like a certain detective we all know? Assuming that there is is no S9 to further destroy the characters and couple that have been the heart of this show.

So Hayley was Beckett's partner tonight? And the nose lady was Castle's partner? How many more random people will run interference between them? Hayley was a total waste in this episode, obviously playing Castle's role. Anyone and everyone is now welcome to investigate at the 12th? Felt very awkward.

Couple or not, I have always watched to see them together as partners, solving crimes, interacting, flirting etc. I'm not pulling out the stop watch but they are apart more than they are together. That feels wrong. Always will.

Hugging him, calling him babe, big smiles while theorizing, Beckett's pheromones(really???), all drove me nuts. Having all the normal couple elements in place during this breakup is infuriating. And not based in reality. No normal person breaks up and behaves in this manner. I really dislike seeing both of them like this. I feel for them both. Castle looks like a clueless goof. Beckett looks rigid, unfun and cold. Not who I think they are at all.

The shirt smelling scene was another no go for me. Another moment that could've been sweet in other circumstances. I can imagine the GIFs online already. People talking about how in love they are, yuck. Grown ups don't tragically sniff each other shirts and then go back to their dysfunctional not a break up, break up situation. People who are partners, who love each other don't do this. They talk! They share! Shocking, I know. Lol.

I almost choked when Beckett told Ryan and Esposito that they needed counseling. Et tu, Beckett? How many more times will they beat the viewers over the head with this stuff?

Again no forward progress on the Lockset mess that launched this unfortunate storyline. That's sad. I'm still naively wishing/hoping this won't be a season long break. I should know better though.

He's definitely safe if any random suspect can turn up at the loft with a gun. Good choice leaving him, Beckett. I'm sure the Lockset people are currently baffled as to both Castle and Beckett's whereabouts. At least until fall sweeps!

Glad for those who have been able to enjoy these episodes but I just can't do it. I want to. I just want some semblance of the show back. Hoping I'm wrong, but I'm starting to think that the show I once loved may be gone.

• Love 3

He hasn't made sargeant yet. He just passed the exam. I would hope that after that there are other more personal qualifications considered. Or maybe he'll become the Chief of Police.

Ah okay thanks for pointing that out. After his various transgressions in the past I don't think he deserves the promotion yet and I was thinking is that it? 

So Hayley was Beckett's partner tonight? And the nose lady was Castle's partner? How many more random people will run interference between them? Hayley was a total waste in this episode, obviously playing Castle's role. Anyone and everyone is now welcome to investigate at the 12th? Felt very awkward.

Having them finally teaming up at the very end only served to highlight how things have changed and made me instantly yearn for the good old days of a writer and his muse solving crime. I'll never be fully okay with them investigating with others but that's where we are and it's not going to change. 

Although I find it amusing that Castle said he was going to make Beckett fall in love with him again by going back to the time they were busy solving cases together but so far has spent precious little time doing that. Instead he's usually teamed up with Hayley, Alexis, Espo and Ryan or in this case the guest star etc. 

Hugging him, calling him babe, big smiles while theorizing, Beckett's pheromones(really???), all drove me nuts. Having all the normal couple elements in place during this breakup is infuriating. And not based in reality. No normal person breaks up and behaves in this manner. I really dislike seeing both of them like this. I feel for them both. Castle looks like a clueless goof. Beckett looks rigid, unfun and cold. Not who I think they are at all.

Both characters are being written poorly, real people do not act in this way I quite agree. Castle is coming over as stupid, desperate and needy and is it possible to make Beckett look any more unsympathetic and insensitive? That moment in the precinct where she calmly asks him as if it's no real big deal if she could drop by and collect the rest of her things...was that exchange really needed? How can the writers expect me to root for this couple and want them to get back together when they've turned one of them into a stupid pathetic doormat and the other into someone I have zero sympathy for as she created this entire situation of her own free will and refuses to see sense. Meh

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

How dense was Beckett in this one ? Not that the entire break up storyline shows us how stupid that woman became lately but seriously everytime asking How The Nose knew ???? That woman was right: Why do you want her back ? You deserve better.

I knew the brother was the killer right away. They should have given him more than that one scene at the beginning.

I had to laugh a couple of times and the episode wasn't that bad but Beckett is just overshadowing everything and Castle's I wanna win her back mantra is getting stupid. Either sit her down for real and talk or just move on. He looks more and more like a fool.

Yeah sure sniff his shirt and bawl your eyes out over it......oh gimme a break Beckett. I cannot sympathize with her AT ALL.

• Love 3

He hasn't made sargeant yet. He just passed the exam.

I didn't think about that.  It would be great if he failed some other part of the process and was back to being 'just' a detective.  If he does pass, then what does that mean exactly? (besides getting a raise in pay.)  Would he be Ryan's supervisor?  One thing I did like was that they didn't do a 'oops, there was a mistake in the scoring and Ryan passed the test after all'.  

Wouldn't one cop shooting another cop be a pretty damn big deal? Like investigations, taking of his gun & being assigned desk duty, kind of big. Not oops, my bad! Hell, I suspect 90% of the audience knew that was Espo in silhouette, but we are to think Ryan would just shoot without knowing whom he is shooting at. Really? Ryan will never make sergeant at that rate.

I wondered about that, too. It would have been better (IMO) if Ryan had shot, missed and the bullet hit something wooden or metal and a piece flew off into Esposito's behind--like a piece of shrapnel.   I figured that we were supposed to think that Ryan was still ticked about failing the test, so he wasn't thinking clearly, but it was still a stupid thing to do--to shoot at an unknown figure.  I know that it looked like someone holding a gun, but it was obviously a construction area, so it could have just as likely been a worker with a small drill or something.  Dumb!

Finally, what was that nose ring thingee that the nose lady was putting in her nose?  I couldn't see it closer, did it have little pieces on the ends so that she was using it as nose plugs to keep out the bad smells?  It just looked weird.

Obviously I'm getting old & cynical but I just don't see how smelling a shirt after walking out on someone without even telling them why shows undying love. I guess the writers message is she still loves Castle but she loves getting justice more.

• Love 3

Obviously I'm getting old & cynical but I just don't see how smelling a shirt after walking out on someone without even telling them why shows undying love. I guess the writers message is she still loves Castle but she loves getting justice more.

For me it shows self-hatred.  (Although maybe that's justified ;-) )

All I had to see was the end scene and then just went, um no.  The ratings are telling...1.1 PRE adjustment.  And bet that the adjustment will be downward.

Since Castle left the precinct poor Ryan inherited the job of court jester. Ryan really is not a very good cop at this point. So far this season he has taken bribes, failed the sergeants exam & shot his partner. At this rate he won't make it to mid season.

Had a rewatch. What are they doing with Ryan? Why is he being OOC he used to be so dependable. And what the hell was all that business when Beckett was leaning into the car and his comments? Was that meant to be funny because I thought it was kind of disparaging to his boss. 

The boys were irritating this week because of the childish way they behaved over the shooting incident. I don't find almost killing someone funny especially when it makes Ryan look like some dumbass rookie. When Ryan told Espo in the office to shoot him in the backside as a trade off my reaction resembled Esposito's..... oh please this is embarrassing. A problem if I've had with this show in recent seasons is the writers determination to force comedic moments into too many scenes and then overplay them. I disagree with Fillion and the showrunners that this show is a mainly comedy, the show has always been infused with light hearted elements true but it was never comedy hour but now they seem almost desperate to have everyone squeeze a joke in and play the fool.

It's been 5 episodes and I'm getting emotional whiplash from this show. TPTB have decided to throw the dice and hinge their season on a long running story arc based on Kate's obsessive search for the mysterious Locksat and now they've pushed that on the back burner (aside from a cursory on screen call or brief meeting with Vikram) to play up the comedy with fart and arse jokes? Okay

Hayley just waltzes into Beckett's office like she owns the place, which felt off to me.  Her involvement felt awkward, they've shoehorning her into investigations with Beckett's easy acceptance, she's not unlikeable but she adds nothing that different to the show and I don't yearn to see her return each week.

How on earth does Kate think she's going to solve the Locksat case almost singlehandedly when she can't solve her normal cases without Castle's aid and that of her team?

Despite the scene at the end I don't see the depths of emotion on display here that there should be, for all the writers claims about increasing the drama and depth of characterisation they're frantically paddling in the shallow end.

So far I've learnt nothing new about Castle and Beckett as people due to this separation, everything is a rehash of what I already know - other than they're even more stupid than I ever thought possible.

Edited by verdana

For me it shows self-hatred.  (Although maybe that's justified ;-) )

All I had to see was the end scene and then just went, um no.  The ratings are telling...1.1 PRE adjustment.  And bet that the adjustment will be downward.

No football this time around, it should still go down somewhat though. I'm intrigued ;)

As for the episode, I don't even know what to say about it, it's the reason I was sarcastic about the shirt smelling earlier.

Overall, I just don't get what showing Beckett still being in love with Castle accomplishes. That was never in question, it's about her priorities, it's about her mentality. They are not exploring that at all, they didn't even progress the case this week. It's just dragging on.

The audience needs to see why Beckett won't do this in the future, the audience needs to see Castle actually work out the truth (or get told) and show some real emotion. This is all just so....meaningless

We mostly watch because of the quirky cases, and Castle is basically a crime drama ... But the non-marriage and other stuff is making the show pretty annoying. 

So Beckett is not willing to sacrifice her day job to crack some conspiracy -- but she is willing to sacrifice her marriage? 

Beckett is a captain now, but still acts like a police detective? Wouldn't a captain have more than one case and one set of detectives to oversee? 

Shouldn't Becket be obsessively working on the conspiracy? It seems like an after-hours, part-time hobby, barely referenced. 

Sure, it's supposed to be a romantic, crime drama farce, but I'm rooting for Castle to dump Beckett and chalk it up as bad marriage #3.  (or is it #4?) 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

No football this time around, it should still go down somewhat though. I'm intrigued ;)

Football was on ESPN -- and was huge, 9.something in the demo.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Sure, it's supposed to be a romantic, crime drama farce, but I'm rooting for Castle to dump Beckett and chalk it up as bad marriage #3.  (or is it #4?)

This would make me happy.  Let her stew and be upset, while he happily moves on (to a new half-hour comedy series, but also Stana to a new hit show).    Also, #3.

Edited by TVWithPity

Beckett is a captain now, but still acts like a police detective? Wouldn't a captain have more than one case and one set of detectives to oversee?

That's what gets me about her new role, a precinct captain is not only responsible for homicides but apparently that's all Beckett seems to get involved in and she continues to treat Espo and Ryan very much like her detective pals. Whilst I'm pleased she continues to look out for them, I expected the writers to make more out of it but nothing has much has changed. 

Shouldn't Becket be obsessively working on the conspiracy? It seems like an after-hours, part-time hobby, barely referenced.

They're not making a very good job of convincing me that she's frantically working on it but then she doesn't have to be. She's already seen that Castle is very likely to be happy to wait around until she solves the case without pushing her and will then take her back with minimal upset so why rush? 

• Love 2

I really don't want Castle and Beckett together anymore, because she is just annoying as fuck now. They ruined everything. I don't buy the whole UST at all now because she's being such a selfish asshole. All I can think is Castle better wise up and dump her.

• Love 3

Castle: The Nose – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review

Lee Lofland is less than impressed with the shooting incident. 

Now for silly and unrealistic—Ryan shooting Esposito in that place where the sun doesn’t shine. Sure, accidents do, unfortunately, happen. But shooting someone’s sillouette as he passes by behind a backlit tarp is, well, totally unrealistic. And, speaking of unrealistic… No internal affairs investigation into the shooting? No suspension for discharging a weapon at a target Ryan could not see? No nothing for doing something so dumb?

• Love 2

I really don't want Castle and Beckett together anymore, because she is just annoying as fuck now. They ruined everything. I don't buy the whole UST at all now because she's being such a selfish asshole. All I can think is Castle better wise up and dump her.

It seems that you didn't get the memo from the showrunners where this shake up is supposed to get you rooting for them again. LOL

It seems that you didn't get the memo from the showrunners where this shake up is supposed to get you rooting for them again. LOL

They're doing a piss poor job of it so far. I've seen quite a few fans on tumblr say if this carries on much longer they won't be able to ship them together because of the two characters behaviour - especially Beckett.

• Love 1

I really don't want Castle and Beckett together anymore,

I don't either.  Between her reasons for the break up and Castle's juvenile and gross behavior they need other partners.  Hopefully this new lawyer character coming in will bring an adult relationship with heat for Beckett.  Castle can hook up with women weekly and they can laugh at friends who are shot and they can fart together and laugh some more.

• Love 1

I don't either.  Between her reasons for the break up and Castle's juvenile and gross behavior they need other partners.  Hopefully this new lawyer character coming in will bring an adult relationship with heat for Beckett.  Castle can hook up with women weekly and they can laugh at friends who are shot and they can fart together and laugh some more.

I don't know. I think the rampant stupidity extends to both Beckett and Castle. And TPTB's plan, if there is one, has backfired.

• Love 2

That's what gets me about her new role, a precinct captain is not only responsible for homicides but apparently that's all Beckett seems to get involved in and she continues to treat Espo and Ryan very much like her detective pals. Whilst I'm pleased she continues to look out for them, I expected the writers to make more out of it but nothing has much has changed. 

Is she captain of the whole precinct or just the homicide division? How does something like that work?  I assumed it was just the homicides of the 12th precinct and not the burglaries and hookers and stuff.  I think that we are supposed to assume she supervises other detectives and we just don't see it because they don't have the budget to hire more actors for speaking roles.  It would be nice to see them hint at it though.

It would also be nice to see Ryan and Espo having an adjustment period to having to call their friend "captain" all the time or Beckett worrying that people don't give her the same respect they gave Gates because she's been in the trenches with them.

Yeah, I think pretty much any time an officer uses his gun, there is a huge procedure that occurs. Ha ha, he shot Espo in the ass.

I think it's usually a big deal when a captain doesn't show up to work for two days and gets her whole precinct shot up by a crazed killer.  But this show doesn't take place in the real world.

I don't know. I think the rampant stupidity extends to both Beckett and Castle. And TPTB's plan, if there is one, has backfired.

I agree, that's what I was trying to say, it's just a different kind of stupidity for each.  Split them up and give Beckett an adult, fiery relationship, and Castle can have different women or a woman he can be play with but doesn't have to be too serious with.

I saw a fan say If you ignore the scenes where they’re talking about the separation, or Castle trying to get Beckett back, it was Caskett acting like they always used to do. That's exactly the problem I have with all this whole stupid contrived separation, they shouldn't be able to ignore something this serious and carry on doing what they're doing, everything that happens between them feels forced and unbelievable and the underlying sadness colours whatever I'm watching. I'm glad other fans enjoyed this episode and can look past all that but I can't. I wish I knew what this story has added to the show because I don't see it, really hampers them.

If I sort of tilted my head to ignore the LOKSAT and tilted it the other way to ignore the frat boy humor (farting as a herding maneuver? Ass-posito humor carried on too long), there was more to enjoy in this episode than previously.

One thing was the emotional warmth the Castle demonstrated when dealing with Mia. It reminded me of how things used to be between Castle and Alexis, before Alexis became brittle. And the Martha scene was well-tuned Martha (why, oh, why, don't they have an ep based on Martha's past?). There were scenes that makes me wish the particular writer could be given free rein on a less burdened episode

Another was that the B-plot felt better integrated with the A-plot, which was more of a hallmark of the early seasons.

I do like Lucy as a mascot for someone as technophile as Castle, and I actually liked Hayley as a "chaotic neutral" element for Beckett to work with (and I didn't miss the Serena Kaye parallel).

At least the "sand in the works" aspect of the Sergeant's Exam to Esposito and Ryan's working relationship is a believable and may I say, truly "organic" <g> element, even if the gunshot wounding was not.

Unfortunately, the obtrusiveness of the LOKSAT Conspiracy knocks the enjoyment meter askew. If you have to have a season-log Big Bad, at least commit to it. Does LOKSAT have a police scanner to keep them informed when Beckett is investigating a police case with Castle and sends her a text saying "taking a 1-hr break, feel free to work with hubby"? Beckett remembers that she needs to fetch more clothes, but doesn't remember that it might not be a good idea to pal around with Castle in an abandoned parking garage?

• Love 3

I agree, that's what I was trying to say, it's just a different kind of stupidity for each.  Split them up and give Beckett an adult, fiery relationship, and Castle can have different women or a woman he can be play with but doesn't have to be too serious with.

I think the only way they could possibly pull this off is by giving them each new shows....not going to happen, of course....except maybe on Vimeo ;-).