Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: The Nose

WendyCR72

Thanks for the review Cyranetta, really great read, she nails so many reasons as to why I'm uncomfortable with many of the things they're doing on the show right now, not only with Castle and Beckett but with the other characters.

I was about to post the conclusion of her view but I see SweetTooth beat me to it, her analysis on the boys dynamic is equally thoughtful and I especially liked her comment on separated Caskett. Watching them together isn't much fun any more and that's always been a major plus point of the show, Castle should send fans away happy not miserable and hurting, worried what's to come the following week on the angst front:

But watching the two of them these last couple of weeks has been painful. I once accused Andrew Marlowe of shipper sadism, but that was nothing compared to watching them deal with each other recently. Not really working together, not laughing together, not being together. And when you then give Castle someone who may make him spark romantically but has him firing on all his other pistons, it’s hard not to see the difference: the scenes with Castle and Mia are fun. And fun used to be the whole reason for watching Castle.

• Love 2

Wow. That review is amazing. It pretty much hits on everything we've been saying. I cannot believe that if EVERYONE ELSE sees it, how the writers don't. How stupid do they think we are? How brainless and empty-headed? I nearly applauded at this.

I've always liked Den of Geeks reviews. 

I don't think the problem is that they don't understand their audience. I think they figure they've got a certain audience under their thumb and they're looking for other audiences. And seriously, we don't have a ton of choices in reasonably light-hearted romantic comedy-based crime dramedy's...Bones? and just a few borderline others.

It's a competition problem.

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

I can't imagine being a new viewer to this show.

"Now, wait, why did she leave her husband, the love of her life?"

"Oh, she wanted to protect him as she went and obsessively solved this case, so she gave him up."

"But she's not solving the case. And they're always together."

"Yes."

"And the bad guy with the gun didn't get the memo that they are no longer together and went straight to his place."

"Yes."

"So, if she's not really investigating the case except at work, and they're constantly together at work, how is she protecting him? And why is he getting that nose lady to tell him she loves him, when she's already told him that a bunch of times?"

As a new viewer, I would be throwing tomatoes at the screen. Worst idea ever, followed by the worst execution of an idea ever.

That they feel they can screw us around because they have us under their thumb, is even worse. Pandering to a new audience without any thought to story or character, means they must secretly hate the show.

Oh but didnt u get the memo? This is fun, dynamic and a cosmic lovestory. I think i missed something

It's a comedy show.  The comedy is the draw, not the silly romance. 

A little off-topic:  I saw a quickie sneak for the new Super Girl and gist of the scriptlet was "What, you don't like Supergirl? What's wrong with you?" (The Calista Flockhart character is saying this to Supergirl, who was in the stereotypical Super-person ever so sneaky dark-rimmed glassed disguise.)

So maybe the new ABC PR offensive is to blame the fans if they don't like their shows.   Honestly, it might work. 

Edited by TVWithPity

That they feel they can screw us around because they have us under their thumb, is even worse. Pandering to a new audience without any thought to story or character, means they must secretly hate the show.

What new audience? Are they seeing different ratings numbers from the ones we're looking at? Ugh. 

Late to the episode, but I enjoyed it.  Not a bad first effort for a new writer to the show.  The story with Castle and the Nose had heart, reminiscent of earlier seasons and an episode like No. 1 Fan where the female guest star with a meatier role also made an impression.  I like it when the writing delves deeper into these guest star characters and actually establishes a deeper connection between them and the regulars so that their story can generate some empathy.  The actress and Nathan meshed well onscreen together soon.  I enjoyed them snarking at Assposito/Ryan.  Paper flowers was a nice touch at the end.  I thought the decontamination and the fart were funny.  Not out of place considering it was all about the smell.  I would have thought Martha's perfume might be as overpowering as Esposito's cologne :P, or maybe not.

Gotta say, seeing Assposito get his comeuppance (assuppance?) wasn't quite as satisfactory as I'd expected because they definitely overplayed that joke for too long and it was quite ridiculous for Ryan to shoot him accidentally in the first place.  Real life accident like that would have real repercussions for the cop involved.  Could be bye bye to a promotion in the near future.  I wouldn't have objected to neither being rewarded with a promotion given their last minute signing up for the Sergeant's exam in the first place, and actually Ryan strikes me as the more diligent so I would have preferred it if he'd been the one to get it if there could only be one.  Esposito being under Ryan would be something more new, and come with its own set of challenges and humour.   But it's good to see the boys have a real issue to grapple with for once in their relationship.  Hayley's British accent did add something to the 'ass', heh.

One eye rolling moment in the episode though was when Beckett told Esposito and Ryan to get therapy.  Really, Beckett?!  Coming from one who should have Dr. Burke on speed dial especially right now... I was crushed for hopeful Castle when Beckett said she wanted to move more stuff out (daggers to the heart!) and the shirt sniffing in the end didn't do much to counter that, but it is what it is.  Castle's more patient and loving than I would be under the circumstances, but that's what Beckett and I love about him.  Caskett working together had the same chemistry as ever, though yes, have to handwave the fact that they were working together and in an undercover garage too considering that Beckett doesn't want to put Castle in danger, and that a guy just held him at gunpoint in his own home.  All this should be generating realisations for Beckett, but it's like how nothing really changed after Cops & Robbers or Cuffed.  There's going to be no real movement until the writers' designated time. ;)

Liked the recurrence of Lucy and her snark.  As well as the Nose's snark.  The dialogue is generally popping much more.  Also liked Ferraris being featured some more and Castle's 'like it, want it, need it' (also did the same thing with sabres in a previous episode).  Occasional reminders of his wealth are nice considering his wardrobe, which, for a change, wasn't too bad this episode.  The red/burgundy shirt was nice and a refreshing change from all the dark colours all the time.  Beckett's belted outfit was also nice and appropriate.  As long as Luke stays away from cleavage blouses for both Beckett, Hayley, and Alexis. ;)