Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Will They Walks Into A Bar/S03.E02: A Won't They Walks Into A Bar

It was fun.  They look like they're having fun.  It's fun to watch on a Friday because I am old and I am tired.  There really is nothing I'd rather do than watch this team break live on TV.

I will be interested to see the west coast differences.  Will Leslie kiss TV's Scott Foley this time?  Tune in and see.

More Ron Funches on my TV -- Shelley is awesome.  The parts where they went off script were really funny.  Even Chris D'Elia was tolerable.

Shelley: "I can't believe you used your bosoms for evil. You know with a great rack comes great responsibility"

Justin: "Didn't need to smell your fist"

Shelley: "You normally only hear that in prison"

Bridgit Mendler is still totally adorable.

• Love 1

Fun. Ches. Fun. Ches.  Fun.  Ches.

Also I agree.  Bridgit Mendler IS totally adorable.

Even D'Elia has trouble ruining this show when it's live. I mean at least he did decent line readings, and him being a total twit is kind of drowned out by the rest of the cast being extra charming.

Are they only doing ONE actual live run through now, or is it still two?

And HEEEE at them ACTUALLY spoiling a real Empire episode to prove this show isn't pre-taped (as well as clearly giving out a real phone number and someone calling).  And then saying "October 9th" and tossing in the bit about Justin Beiber's penis.  Frankly they can't do too much of this--it actually managed to be funny every time they did it.

I double loved the camera pans (post-credits and show end) to the studio audience. And the live music performances while the camera was turned that way. Come on. That's great! Fuck Chris D'Elia still being on this. If the rest is this good who cares about D'Elia's lameness? We can survive it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I think the East Coast version seemed a little crisper and the timing was better, so I preferred it (although I don't know how much of that is having seen it first). But probably nothing made me laugh harder than when they built on the gag with Leslie kissing TV's Scott Foley. First it was funnier when she really went for it more than she did the first time, then it was funnier when Brett grabbed him and kissed him, but by the time Shelley went for it, I had lost it. (And his reaction: "I'm all right. Happens all the time." Perfect.) Hilarious.

• Love 1

I didn't see the LA run through, but my favorite part of the kiss improv was Brett saying they didn't do THAT in rehearsal! This is an amazing way to re-engerize the multi-cam format, and I think all these everyone on the show are crazy brave to do it twice a night every week. I wonder if SNL being at NBC has helped since they have a lot people in house used to pulling off Live TV every week, but even then they are doing skits, not actually telling stories.

I find D'Elia frequently funny last night, especially his punch lines, and that scrambled bit about Truth stones, truth houses.

• Love 1

Tracked down the West Coast feed and watched it.  Last time they did a live show the East Coast feed was probably better, but this time I think the West Coast one was.  Both had mistakes in them, but the mistakes only make the live show seem more authentic.

• Love 1

Ratings are always going to be bad on Fridays, and Dateline (especially one about rape) isn't a particularly good partner adjacent to it.

Live is also a tough sell. Its NOT the reason why "Best Time Ever" is also a failure, but I bet the one-two punch of both shows doing badly may doom live TV on NBC for good now anyway.

I didn't see the LA run through, but my favorite part of the kiss improv was Brett saying they didn't do THAT in rehearsal! This is an amazing way to re-engerize the multi-cam format, and I think all these everyone on the show are crazy brave to do it twice a night every week. I wonder if SNL being at NBC has helped since they have a lot people in house used to pulling off Live TV every week, but even then they are doing skits, not actually telling stories.

I find D'Elia frequently funny last night, especially his punch lines, and that scrambled bit about Truth stones, truth houses.

Doing it live really has injected an energy boost that seemed lacking in the non-live shows -- and the temptation to go off-script adds a dash of randomness that really makes it more enjoyable (plus the very timely pop culture references).

I checked this out on Roku, so I have no idea which coast I watched. I liked the energy and I think this would be a cool idea for other sitcoms. I liked Funches seemingly having more to do. Is it me or did the set change? Maybe they just got Burski and Shelly out of that booth. 

Justin and Candice make me very uncomfortable. I looked up both of their ages (29 and 22) because he just comes across as so much older. Maybe it's because she was a Disney kid? I wish they would abandon that romance. 

Yeah, 29 and 22 doesn't SEEM that bad until you think that a few years earlier it would have been 24 and 17!

But seriously, she's got a painfully young energy to her and he's projects "guy in his mid 50s" (even if he doesn't look totally like that--it's just an energy/personality thing). There's nothing technically wrong with their pairing though.

To contrast, Stephen Amell was 31 and Emily Bett Rickards was 21 when they started THAT pairing on Arrow.

• Love 1

But seriously, she's got a painfully young energy to her and he's projects "guy in his mid 50s" (even if he doesn't look totally like that--it's just an energy/personality thing). There's nothing technically wrong with their pairing though.

I agree that Bridgit Mendler and Brent Morin have different energy levels, but at the same time, the characters both also have an innocence -- they want to believe the best in people and that people will have happy endings.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the finale last season, the first 'live' show.  And when I read that this whole season was going to be live, I was really looking forward to it.  Mrs QT made a point after this show, though, and I'm starting to agree with her.  She said "I want them to sell me the story, I don't really want to watch them be actors."  Yeah.  Me, too.

• Love 2

Mrs QT made a point after this show, though, and I'm starting to agree with her.  She said "I want them to sell me the story, I don't really want to watch them be actors."  Yeah.  Me, too.

While I appreciate the show's moxie for trying to pull off an entire season of live shows, the reality is that virtually no sitcom cast has the chops to pull that off today.  The only modern-day sitcom to try this and do well was Roc, and that was basically because most of the primary cast had theater roots.  Will and Grace tried it twice, I think, with horrendous results.  Hot in Cleveland tried for one show last season, and it seemed like half that episode was devoted to Valerie Bertinelli either flubbing her lines or breaking up in the background.  I myself would have loved to see Frasier do a season of live shows.  That would have been fun.

I don't think they are doing it live for the west coast anymore. Last night's show had a note at the beginning that it was a rebroadcast from an earlier live show.

I like the way they play around with the live-ness of it, but otherwise the show is dull. Some moments drag, when they should have stronger comic timing, and I really don't get a sense of any actual storyline. It's more that there's a premise introduced for them to play with. That's ok, if that's what they want it to be. They are fun together and I can enjoy it for that. But I don't find it particularly well done, if it's just down to the writing and acting.