Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Crazy

When news about Maddie causes a media frenzy, Rayna appears on Good Morning America in hope of managing the fallout; Juliette asks Charlie Wentworth for help filling seats on her tour; Scarlett receives a surprise visit from her mother.

It may be too soon for Juliette to believably come to Scarlett's rescue, but I really want Juliette to channel her residual Jolene issues and give Scarlett's mother the verbal smackdown she so clearly deserves.

As for Luke, he can't go away fast enough.

• Love 4

It may be too soon for Juliette to believably come to Scarlett's rescue, but I really want Juliette to channel her residual Jolene issues and give Scarlett's mother the verbal smackdown she so clearly deserves.

As for Luke, he can't go away fast enough.

I totally agree with all of this. Deacon I love you but man up mister. Yes Rayna lied and as she pointed out, when you did find out that Maddie was your daughter you reacted exactly how she thought you would. I'm not saying she was right, but I can see the motivation behind it. Please writers send Zoey to LA for good she's annoying as hell. Still don't like Luke and thank you for no Layla and her husband.

(edited)

I kind of love that the show is now really embracing its soapy nature. The lame visual effects during Scarlett's flashbacks were worthy of a daytime soap opera. I know child abuse is no laughing matter but the "special effects" were unintentionally hilarious and made me love this out of the blue storyline more than I should have.

I'm tired of the Avery/Juliette jealousy merry go round. I'm glad that she was thoughtful enough to ask him if he would be okay with her approaching Charlie because that was a mature thing to do (unless she really was just trying to make him jealous). If I were in her position, I would be glad that Avery trusted me enough to encourage me to do that. The fact that she later said she was upset that he wasn't jealous was annoying, but I'm the kind of person who finds jealousy immature and annoying. I think Avery was being mature by NOT having a hissyfit when she said that Charlie tried to kiss her. He trusted her not to cheat on him with her ex which to me is the mark of someone who is secure in his relationship.

And it's a totally different situation for him to tell Charlie not to take advantage of a drunk, emotionally vulnerable Scarlett. He knew that she was upset about her abusive mother and that something was wrong with her when he saw her a few minutes earlier. To me, telling Charlie to leave Scarlett alone was the equivalent of telling a lecherous creep to leave your drunk friend alone when you see him hitting on her at a bar. It has nothing to do with jealousy or possessiveness. It's not wanting your friend to wake up the next morning regretting what she did (or not remembering what she did).

Not surprisingly, Juliette's mother is awful. Between the physical abuse, the attention whore syndrome, and the emotional manipulation, I'm ready for her to go. No wonder Scarlett wanted to get the hell out of her small town. Her mother is narcissistic and plain mean.

I'm glad that Deacon and Rayna had that talk. I think they both suspected that the other person was thinking these things since the secret about Maddie's parentage came out but it was nice to finally get it all out in the open and let them air their grievances. They have been trying to play nice with each and not upset the good place they had come to with each other, but all of those feelings have been stewing and simmering for a long time. I think that they're both right and they're both wrong, so hopefully they will be able to see things from the other person's point of view and understand why the other person is hurt so that they can forgive each other and move on.

Ha, I did laugh when Rayna asked Teddy why he can't just keep it in his pants. His jealousy of Deacon is so obvious and he's acting like a child about it. So Deacon teaching her to play the guitar is shutting Teddy out? Give me a freaking break. First of all, that is Maddie's choice. Deacon is not trying to monopolize every minute of Maddie's time. If anything, I think Deacon has shown a lot of restraint and not pushed to spend an excessive amount of time with her. But secondly, Maddie has every right to want to spend time with Decaon. She's not doing it to shut Teddy out. Teddy needs to start acting like an adult instead of a temper tantrum throwing baby. He keeps talking about how he's her real father because he's been there for her all these years, but if he were really acting as a parent, he would put aside his petty jealousy and do what is best for Maddie, which is allowing her to get to know Deacon as her father, instead of having a hissyfit every time he thinks about Deacon.

I'm glad that they finally gave Daphne a storyline. Her resentment about this whole situation is long overdue in my opinion. I totally laughed when Rayna tried to send her to her room and Daphe said she wanted to stay and listen. At least the girl is honest! And why shouldn't she stay? This involves her too since she was being hounded at school by the press.

I hope Gunnar doesn't blow all his money MC Hammer style. No gold faucets, Gunnar! Sometimes I forget that there are still places in this country where you can buy a house for $400K. I'm glad that Zoey told him she didn't want him to be her sugar daddy. There's nothing wrong with her wanting to pursue her dreams and support herself financially. I don't see why Gunnar is being so pissy about her going to LA for a few weeks. How is that worse than when he left to go on tour? Or if she had booked that last tour she auditioned for? Being away from your boyfriend/girlfriend is being away, no matter what the reason.

I loved Juliette's sweet and supportive texts to Maddie. I really like their friendship.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I'm so beyond pleased with the Rayna/Deacon conversation. They had me in tears. But I hope this means they've got their actual kid fairly sorted out because those two need to get home quick so as to deal with their pseudo-kid who is cracking up. I've very, very worried about Scarlett. Does Deacon know his sister is so horrible? Does Rayna? Good lord.

In other news, we don't have another episode for three weeks? And that's a music episode, not even plot? Why does ABC hate us?

• Love 2
Sometimes I forget that there are still places in this country where you can buy a house for $400K.

More places than not, really.   

I'm worried about how much Juliette seemed to want Avery to be jealous.   I don't really blame her.  When you've not had a lot of healthy relationships it's hard to recognize one.   Still, I think she's going to tank this with her own insecurities.

I love that she was texting Maddie.   I like how she's consistently supported that kid in a very sincere way.

I think both Rayna and Deacon made good points in that argument and it was a long time coming.  I tend to be more on Deacon's side on this, but I did understand where both characters were coming from.   

Did Luke leak the tape to try to throw Deacon off the wagon?   

Loved this episode. Many great developments. Now we see that Luke is evil, though I am still not sure what his game is. We see Scarlett's personality finally explained when Mother Dearest shows up. And Daphne is emerging as her own character (plus she finally sang without Maddie, at least a few lines).

Juliette seems so grounded and sane, at least for one episode.

I am glad they had a good talk about Maddie, funny that they chose this episode to do it. But I have to call BS on Rayna crying every day for a year. Yeah right! She was courting Teddy, getting married, having a baby, and moving on. In reality it seems Rayna shed a few tears on Deacon but within weeks had moved on. I can't stand how Rayna gets away with being so self-righteous and hypocritical, calling other people on their BS without ever truly taking responsibility herself. She is so quick to blame others and manipulate people and everybody is so hypnotized by that red mane they just go along. World class manipulator. And like Deacon said, she would have spent the rest of her life lying every single day to Deacon if Maddie hadn't found out.

Maybe I am finally embracing the soapy elements of this show, but I was glad Charlie came in to stir things up.

And it took most of two seasons but I now love Scarlett's story. I am really rooting for her. At the same time, I noticed she's only got 2 or 3 pills left in the bottle. Will she sell herself on the street to get more? And will Deacon  ever confront his she-bitch of a sister?  

• Love 1

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that Rayna can feel totally justified in not telling Deacon that he's the father of one of her children.    IMO, there is no circumstance ever in which he did not deserve to know that he was Maddie's father.  He may have been a drunk, but alcoholism is a sickness.  I'm still surprised that Maddie doesn't resent Rayna for it.  

I see a whole lot of effort from the writers to throw Deacon under the bus.  We get it.  He's an addict.  As a result, he did bad things in the past.  Not even a character on Nashville would want to be defined today by their actions of 15-16 years ago. 

Poor Teddy Conrad, the most misunderstood guy in the world.  He screwed Deacon's girlfriend and can't understand why Rayna thought it might be a revenge sort of thing.   I wouldn't be upset if Megan gets written out like Deacon's vet girlfriend did. 

During their conversation at the cabin on the lake, Rayna told Deacon that he almost killed her.  No, Rayna, you almost killed yourself.  You forced yourself into that car and you were driving it.  You had a choice. 

Was that Layla in that commercial for the movie on the Hallmark Channel ? 

More Will, please.  I don't necessarily like his storyline, but IMO, his music is some of the best on the show. 

The whole Scarlett meltdown was predictable.  The Scarlett and her mom meltdown montage reminded me of now-campy sixties TV, like Dragnet drug flashbacks.  Her mother sings better than she does.  I actually watched this episode twice and was glad to be able to forward through all of that godawful "Black Roses" song the second time that I watched.  Scarlett's hair is back in all of its' unconditioned glory. 

Please send Zoey to LA.  To me, she brings nothing to the table.  IMO, Gunnar doesn't bring much more plot-wise, but he's a better singer.  I didn't care for Zoey's demo tape song. 

I was glad to see Charlie Wentworth make a comeback.  I like the actor and the storyline. 

I still miss the Lamar storyline.  I think he got written put because of the desire for the show to appeal to a younger audience.  That could have been an interesting and complex storyline.  I'm sure Powers Boothe is somewhere breathing a sigh of relief.  His storyline was that poorly written. 

There is way, WAY too much time between new episodes.  Three weeks until the next one ?  There was a hiatus of several weeks over the holidays and a more recent hiatus of two weeks.  Not cool

• Love 1
He may have been a drunk, but alcoholism is a sickness.

But it is a choice to drink knowing you have an addiction.  Between Deacon, Teddy & Rayna there is plent of dumbassery, but Deacon is the most likeable out of all three and damn!  C Easten can handle the dramatic scenes.

The Scarlett and her mom meltdown montage reminded me of now-campy sixties TV, like Dragnet drug flashbacks.  Her mother sings better than she does.  I actually watched this episode twice and was glad to be able to forward through all of that godawful "Black Roses" song the second time that I watched.  Scarlett's hair is back in all of its' unconditioned glory.

The cheesy sixties montage is a perfect description!  And snarling singing Scarlet was painful - ugh.  Her mom, whatever her name is, is a nasty piece of work though.

(edited)

The woman who played Scarlett's mom is someone by the name of Dana Wheeler-Nicholson.  According to her IMDb page, she played the character of Angela Collette in multiple episodes of Friday Night Lights.  Having never seen her in that or anything else that I can recall,  I only know her from last night's episode.  I liked her portrayal.

Edited by Mary
(edited)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that Rayna can feel totally justified in not telling Deacon that he's the father of one of her children.

I don't think Rayna feels justified or unjustified. I think she's been tortured by her decision about Maddie for the last 14 years and she hid from it because of how horribly sad and heartbroken she was. She knows she should have told him; when Deacon says on the porch that she should have told him, she nods. It's not a matter of her feeling like, "I am in the right here! Suck it!" She made a choice out of fear and with good intentions and then got caught up in something that she had no idea how to get out of.

Deacon is an alcoholic and that's an incredibly hard addiction to control, but it's no excuse for anything. Whether or not he drinks is totally up to him and how he treats people when he's drinking is his responsibilty. It also never goes away. He seemed to get it handled for awhile, but his sobriety was obviously always fragile. He also spent something like 11 years and four rehabs with Rayna where he failed and hurt her repeatedly. So really, it's not about who's in the right. They're both right and they're both wrong. It's about how completely these people love each other and the fact that they needed to face head-on how much they've hurt one another. That push/pull is what made the scene so great. They're both so angry and hurt, and both lost so much, individually and together. But boy it was obvious that they are still very deeply connected, and I really liked how they both listened to the other and really heard it. Rayna totally owned what she did, and I think Deacon was just horrified by how deeply he had hurt this person he loves so much.

ETA: Dan Wheeler-Nicholson was great in Friday Night Lights. She played a crazy, messed-up mom there too, but she was much softer and funnier. A hot mess and clueless, but not a vicious child abuser.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

What madam magpie said. 

Yes, the fact that Scarlett's mother is abusive kinda came from out of the blue, but it really does make Scarlett a more believable character rather than a squirrelly Mary Sue, as Juliette might have it.

The entire cast really brought it for this ep.  Eric Close didn't get swept away by everyone else this time around. 

I like it that the characters are all messed up.  And yep, too long for the next ep.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did Luke leak the tape to try to throw Deacon off the wagon?

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner! Was there a retcon with Luke talking about back in the day when he pined after Rayna? I thought they had only met shortly before they started dating.

The woman who played Scarlett's mom is someone by the name of Dana Wheeler-Nicholson. According to her IMDb page, she played the character of Angela Collette in multiple episodes of Friday Night Lights.

Oh, of course! The actress certainly gets typecast as trailer trash. My favorite Angela moment was when shopping for her daughter's wedding gown and they picked one with a tasteful amount of butt crack. I also seem to remember Tami Taylor helping her out a time or two.

Is it only me that it seems a tad ridiculous that people would have to go on GMA to explain their relationship? Does anyone really care who fathered a singer's kid 15 yrs (or whatever)?

Edited by Haleth

Was there a retcon with Luke talking about back in the day when he pined after Rayna? I thought they had only met shortly before they started dating. 

I don't think so. When they met it seemed like they were friends from long ago. It's certainly been clear that Deacon and Luke have a history from when they were starting out and getting established (the whole Deacon's the one with the more talent repartee) and if Deacon and Luke knew each other it's unlikely that Rayna and Luke didn't.

No, Rayna, you almost killed yourself.  You forced yourself into that car and you were driving it.  You had a choice.
I don't think morally she had a choice. She could have been paying more attention, but she couldn't (and shouldn't) have let him drive that drunk and he didn't seem likely to wait for a cab, or for her to get someone. Actually she should have just kneed him, hit him on the rock and knocked him unconscious, but she doesn't look strong enough for that, as twiggy as she is. 

I feel sad for Rayna and how badly Highway 65 is faring. I didn't mind Charlie Wentworth coming back, but I'd rather he found a love interest of his own - maybe Tandy and Charlie can get together. I'm sure she can show him a trick or two and she can speak his language too. 

(edited)

Is it only me that it seems a tad ridiculous that people would have to go on GMA to explain their relationship? Does anyone really care who fathered a singer's kid 15 yrs (or whatever)?

I bet if that whole Liv Tyler/Steven Tyler thing happen today instead of something like twenty years ago it definately would be a big deal and GMA/Today/whomever would jump at the chance to do the interview.  Whether or not the actual parties involved would handle this situation like they did, I have no idea.  Gossip "entertainment" is huge.  I mean wasn't the E! network basically built on that premise?  I think it is absolutely plausible and while I'm not sure most real celebrities would choose that route, I understand it.  It is absolutely no one else's business but this way they assert some control over the story and not let the gossip mags/shows just run crazy with it.

Also I completely agree with madam magpie concerning Rayna/Deacon.  I think part of what makes it hard for viewers (not to speak for everyone, just my perspective of it) is that we haven't seen much of Drunk Deacon.  We got glimpses but mostly we've seen this stand up, kinda moody guy.  You absolutely believe that he'll give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.  Basically we see the guy that Rayna fell in love with.  We've never seen the 11 or so years of Drunk Deacon that Rayna did.  I think it's easier to trust a recovering alcoholic if you meet them when they're years into sobriety (which I feel is the viewer side)  It's harder to trust the sobriety when you were there for the rollercoaster that is a full blown addiction. (Rayna side)  I feel for both of them in this situation and I don't blame either of them for feeling the way that they do.  It was a crappy situation all around and they did the best that they could with it.  Now is the time that they both have to deal with the consequences of the choices they made.  I liked their talk. I like the way it was played out.  It was a heated conversation but it was a conversation between adults with so much history and baggage.  It wasn't petty or mean which I think it easily could've been.  I think the writers nailed it and the actors brought it.

Edited by Dusty
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Scarlett stuff is easily my least favorite part of this season (well the show really) but aren't there handlers on a tour?  How was Avery the only person that noticed that something was wrong with her?  Also, are fans that quick to turn around on someone- she was literally a minute into her set- it was obvious the band as confused- if I am there I think something is wrong.  Like medically wrong.

I still don't get why Gunner is upset about not having the band?  You made $400K on 2 songs- I am assuming there will be residuals too.  It is not like you can't play music.  Arguably you are the most successful of the next gen crew right now (monetarily) and based on all the drama everyone else is dealing with you would think talented song writer is the better career choice.  Get it together Gunner.

Having said all that- I did enjoy tonights episode and liked seeing Mr. Wentworth again.  

Edited by gik910
  • Love 2

Was the house for sale that Gunnar was staring at the songwriting/publishing office where he and Scarlett used to write? 

Scarlett's mother, whom I have also seen on a few episodes of Law & Order Criminal Intent, made Jolene Barnes look like a cross between Caroline Ingalls and Mother Theresa.

Jeez, Juliette's mother severely neglected her, put her around inappropriate people and relegated her to the role of raising herself and caring for her own parent.  But the show has never mentioned that she ever physically abused her.  Her upbringing also has forged a will of steel.  Scarlett's mother, on the other hand, apparently abused and terrorized the poor girl.  And is still doing so, to the point of nearly destroying her in one episode.

Ugly as it was, I thought it was a good episode.

(edited)
I liked their talk. I like the way it was played out.  It was a heated conversation but it was a conversation between adults with so much history and baggage.  It wasn't petty or mean which I think it easily could've been.

I really liked that also, combined with the fact that this show doesn't use the old "I don't know if s/he loves me" standby for its will they or won't they with Rayna and Deacon. Even when they're fighting, no matter how hurt they are, they always communicate as two people who really love and respect one another and know its mutual. That's hard to do in real life sometimes, and I think it's harder to write and to act, too. But it makes the entire story a ton more interesting.

Teddy, on the other hand, is petty and mean, and his fights/altercations with pretty much everyone often devolve into that. It seems like a purposeful thing the writers are doing for characterization, so kudos.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

The house Gunnar saw looking at is Deacon's. I think that's the first we've heard about Deacon moving out of it. Possibly this will be explained next episode.

I can't wait to figure out what Luke's deal is. During the episode I took the car punch to mean proof he was up to something sneaky, but maybe he's just frustrated cos he wants Rayna and she will never truly be his. Personally I would rather find out he has a secret agenda to be revealed in the future. Because I am still thinking he is evil!

Can't wait to see more of Will's story. That dude is magnetic and I like his songs a lot. Unlike others I really like the vulnerable version of Layla. Of course she can't go much longer before she figures out why Will never wants to bang. How will she find out? How will she react?

Juliette's manager Glen- I really like this character and hope they find a way to get him more lines.

Not too much new music the episode. I didn't really like Zoe's audition song. The music is my favorite thing about the show, so I hope they work in some more new songs. 

Funny, the song Scarlett collapsed to, I think it is the same one that got her booed a while back.  It's definitely the song Liam told her not to sing because it wasn't her. It's not really a Scarlett-type song, much more of a Juliette song. Honestly I bought the song and LOVE it, one of the best the show has ever produced. But it's interesting that it always comes with problems for Scarlett. It's almost like the shark song in Jaws- the opening chords should stir fear, especially in Scarlett. 

• Love 1
The house Gunnar saw looking at is Deacon's. I think that's the first we've heard about Deacon moving out of it. Possibly this will be explained next episode.

I'm not sure that's true. They look similar, but I read somewhere else that the house numbers are different. I hope that's the case and it's not Deacon's because it would be an asshole move to sell a house Scarlett lives in while she's away and not even discuss it with her.

(edited)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that Rayna can feel totally justified in not telling Deacon that he's the father of one of her children.

I don't think Rayna feels justified or unjustified.

I feel like she did in the beginning.  Her feelings may be less certain now, but she has chosen to perpetuate the lie.   The writers seem to have momentarily forgotten that they inferred that Lamar might not be Rayna's father.

It would have been interesting to get insight into how that knowledge played into her conversation with Deacon on the porch.  And, that was another interesting Lamar storyline that could have been pursued but wasn't.  Even if it becomes a later storyline, it would have had more dimension and options with a living Lamar.

Deacon is an alcoholic and that's an incredibly hard addiction to control, but it's no excuse for anything.

True enough, but  there's no quick or easy fix for it.  He made the choice to drink.   Rayna made the choice to sleep with him.  Rayna would have been pregnant in the late nineties.  She had plenty of options.  I imagine that the reaction an unplanned pregnancy would get from her fan base would be kinder than what might be engendered by recent events in her life (what was revealed during the GMA appearance). 

IRL Nashvillians probably wouldn't have cared less.  There was a prolific serial killer there at approximately the same time.

No, Rayna, you almost killed yourself.  You forced yourself into that car and you were driving it.  You had a choice.

I don't think morally she had a choice. She could have been paying more attention, but she couldn't (and shouldn't) have let him drive that drunk and he didn't seem likely to wait for a cab, or for her to get someone. Actually she should have just kneed him, hit him on the rock and knocked him unconscious, but she doesn't look strong enough for that, as twiggy as she is. 

My problem with it was that Rayna told Deacon that he almost killed her when it was proven to the satisfaction of the police that he didn't.  I think the best way for a mother of two children to have handled that situation was not by getting in the car with a drunk, no matter who was driving.  I think that a threat to call the police and have Deacon arrested for public drunk or DUI might have been just as effective. Who knows ?  Then again, we wouldn't have gotten our cliffhanger.

I cannot find a single source on the Internet that predicts the renewal of Nashville yet.

Also, http://tvline.com/2014/03/11/nashville-season-3-will-chase-oliver-hudson-series-regulars/

Edited by Mary
  • Love 1
(edited)
My problem with it was that Rayna told Deacon that he almost killed her when it was proven to the satisfaction of the police that he didn't.

That's not what she said. What she said was, "You got drunk and I almost died." That's the truth. And yeah, Deacon's drinking did that to them. The space around an alcoholic becomes very dangerous, and if you love him (or her) and are willing to put yourself into that space, you take a big risk and it's scary. I think Rayna resents the fact that Deacon--who at his core is a gentle, kind, really softhearted man--allows his addiction to create that danger. She resents it for herself, for him, and especially for her children. This is the guy she wanted to create a life with, really the only one she'd have chosen, and his drinking took all of that from her. It took her home, her family, her writing partner, the love of her life, etc. And Deacon let it happen. I think that's a big deal and a legitimate thing to be angry about. That's not to say it justifies Rayna not telling him about Maddie. It doesn't. But I really don't think she ever felt justified. Of course, she tried to justify it to herself. Hell, she's the one who had to live with it. Tandy tried to justify it to her. She even tried briefly in this episode to say to Deacon, "But I made sure you knew her." Her voice when she said that was so weak; she tossed it out there, but her tone made it clear that she knew it was bullshit. It was a last-ditch effort NOT to have the conversation they ended up having because it was all so painful for her. Over the course of this show, Rayna always seemed conflicted, never sure, and with the exception of that "Buried Under" song, she never really told us (or him) what she thought about what she'd done or why she'd done it, until this episode. Knowing how she felt does make her dilemma understandable and worthy of a ton of compassion, and Deacon seemed to get that. It may even have been the first time he really grasped what all of this had done to Rayna. Two of the most important of the twelve steps are for the alcoholic to really face what he/she has done and then make amends for it. Deacon has to own all of what he did to Rayna, including creating a situation that was dangerous enough that she felt she had to choose whether or not to tell him about their baby, or he'll never really be able to recover from the addiction.

Also the only reason the police felt confident that Deacon hadn't commited a crime was because Rayna woke up and told them so. She's never tried to blame him for something he didn't do.

ETA: I read a prediction on a spoiler site that Nashville would be renewed, but I don't know how much weight to give that. It may just be some guy talking. I hope it's renewed, though. I'd like to see more of this story.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

Maddie and Daphne are the role models for everyone.  Say you're sorry, sing a song, be adorable, and move on.  I just hope they don't learn from every single adult around them that the way to resolve conflict is to lie, get drunk, and destroy other people's lives.

Scarlett under the piano.  I've never seen that before. Damn. I guess the gals on The View have a whole new topic to move on to.  

I still don't get why Gunner is upset about not having the band?  You made $400K on 2 songs- I am assuming there will be residuals too.  It is not like you can't play music.  Arguably you are the most successful of the next gen crew right now (monetarily) and based on all the drama everyone else is dealing with you would think talented song writer is the better career choice.  Get it together Gunner.

Having said all that- I did enjoy tonights episode and liked seeing Mr. Wentworth again.

My thought was, you have $400,000 and you live in Nashville, quit sulking and go hire a band if you wanna play that badly.

Other than the Zoe stuff and the cheesy Scarlett freak out I thought it was a good ep, though even the cheese had entertainment value and Scarlett's singing was lovely.

I'm on board with Zoe buying a one way ticket to LA. Her part of the ep was the only part without at least something entertaining about it.

I think Luke definitely leaked the video, but I'm not sure if it was deacon or Rayna he was targeting.

He doesn't even need to hired a whole band. He just needs to replace Avery for one gig. Zoe hasn't left town yet so I'm sure she would be fine with singing the same songs again next week. I'm pretty sure that in a town like Nashville, he could find another guitar player who could learn their songs quickly enough to fill in for this gig.

Why was Deacon ransacking his house looking for booze in the morning? Couldn't he just go to the store?

Oh Gawd, Charlie again? I thought we were done with that.

I kind of love Daphne. She only gets a few lines here and there but her "I hate this!" and "Mom, I really want to listen" felt genuine.

But secondly, Maddie has every right to want to spend time with Decaon. She's not doing it to shut Teddy out.

To be fair, she kind of is. I think there's a term for it in psychology and it comes up in literary analysis but when children are dissatisfied with their parents they can fantasize about having different perfect parents. In Maddie's case, she actually does have that other parent but as we know, he's far from perfect. But given the way she idolizes and worships him, I think this is how the show is trying to portray their relationship. She sees Deacon as the embodiment of everything she wants and isn't getting from Rayna and Teddy.

OK, calm down, Nashville. "The entire world" doesn't know and care about country music scandals.

I really hope we don't have to watch Gunnar go into debt but it was very sweet of him to get studio time for Zoe. But what songs was she supposed to be cutting for that demo?

Well, old judgmental Rayna is back, up on her high horse again. Though I will admit, it's not so bad when she turns her sights on Teddy now that he's gone from just being her doormat of a husband to the awful villain they've turned him into.

Oh, God, Scarlett's mom is so camp and soapy. I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it yet. I do think it would be interesting to explore more characters who didn't make it. Everyone is just a bit too successful on this show. Scarlett playing Black Roses for her mom was such a Glee moment. I'm still not sold on Black Roses. It's just a bunch of cliches strung together. It's not a happy song to dedicate to your mom but there's not a lot of concrete stuff she can interpret in a song like that. Oh and Scarlett "emoting" is just priceless. She looked possessed and the lip-sync was so bad. The "You're not a monster. You're my mother." line made me think of Frozen, which did not help me to take this all seriously.

OK, I do think Avery should have had more of a reaction to Juliette telling him about Charlie trying to kiss her. Even if it was simple teasing or him reassuring her that he knows he can trust her. I didn't need him to get jealous but if this wasn't a plot contrivance, he would have had more of a response. I was glad we had that scene with him and Charlie later on.

I feel like Juliette was sympathetic to Scarlett but she also gave her the push she needed professionally and personally. She can't break down over everything. And this felt like a push she needed more than Rayna's push earlier in the season. Of course, Scarlett is more fragile than Juliette and she's also taking pills... and now drinking, so it didn't end well.

Thank God Deacon finally told Rayna what needed to be said. 

I can't stand how Rayna gets away with being so self-righteous and hypocritical, calling other people on their BS without ever truly taking responsibility herself. She is so quick to blame others and manipulate people and everybody is so hypnotized by that red mane they just go along. World class manipulator. And like Deacon said, she would have spent the rest of her life lying every single day to Deacon if Maddie hadn't found out.

Let's be best friends.

Why was Deacon ransacking his house looking for booze in the morning? Couldn't he just go to the store?

Deacon was looking for his booze stashes. One of the things addicts do is hide liquor (or pills or whatever) in random places that they know of, but other people wouldn't easily find. Deacon knew he had liquor hidden in that house. My guess is, though, that it had been so long since he'd been a big drunk, that he couldn't remember where all his hiding places were. So he ransacked the house trying to find the booze so he could pour it out and not drink.

To be fair, she kind of is. I think there's a term for it in psychology and it comes up in literary analysis but when children are dissatisfied with their parents they can fantasize about having different perfect parents. In Maddie's case, she actually does have that other parent but as we know, he's far from perfect. But given the way she idolizes and worships him, I think this is how the show is trying to portray their relationship. She sees Deacon as the embodiment of everything she wants and isn't getting from Rayna and Teddy.

Maddie's father was hidden from her and she wants to know him. That's all that's happening here. Because for her entire life Deacon was a cherished family friend who adored and doted on her, of course she loves and adores him too. That's their relationship's foundation, and frankly it was Rayna who made sure that foundation existed (on purpose, as she said). The fact that Maddie felt comfortable enough with Deacon to go to him and tell him that she thought he was her father actually speaks volumes about what their relationship already was. He's also a huge part of her mother's past (and a very romantic mystery at that) and a musician, which is what she wants to be. Since he found out that he was her father and that she wants to know him better, Deacon has continued to dote on and adore Maddie. He validates how she feels, treats her like an equal, and supports what she wants to do. He's also offered her some parental-like advice, which she's taken without issue, though he hasn't really been allowed to truly parent her yet. Maddie doesn't want to replace Rayna and Teddy. She just also wants to know Deacon. If Teddy would get down off his jealousy horse for five seconds and try to connect with Maddie, he'd have no trouble. Rayna connects with her fine, and Maddie does what Rayna asks her to do because, despite the fact that she dropped the ball a bit, Rayna also validates how Maddie feels, treats her like an equal, and supports what she wants to do. Teddy doesn't do any of those things, so of course Maddie is fed up with him.

Edited by madam magpie

I really want Juliette to channel her residual Jolene issues and give Scarlett's mother the verbal smackdown she so clearly deserves.

this.  please, PLEASE let this happen.  Juliette is certainly capable of it.  I would LOVE to see that.

Yes. This is one huge country music star, one almost was huge star, and the Mayor of Nashville.  People would care.  They put all kinds of stupid-ass stuff on those morning shows...

But I don't think even the women from The View are scummy enough to speculate on the disputed parentage of a minor without the minor's parent's permission, or to play that video without a release from a parent or guardian. You can't even take pictures of someone else's child in a public place and sell them without permission from the parents, so I'm sure videos--even ones uploaded to the Internet--have the same restrictions. I thought that whole thing was extremely unrealistic.