Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Fanfiction

• Start Topic

Reader Discussion 

How (thanks to Gabriel) Dean and Castiel (accidentally) raised each other (and Sam).

( @takalotti @trxr4kids )

Chapter 9

This was a cute chapter. The author captured the inherent awkwardness of 'the talk' and dumping the responsibility of giving it on to Dean was totally a John thing to do. I also thought the following talk between Dean and Castiel was very well done. Castiel was able to offer the assurance Dean needed (it is normal for sexuality to be fluid and Guck doesn't care) while also providing the space he needed to process things.

Chapter 10

John's first meeting with Castiel went pretty much how I expected it would and parallels nicely with canon Dean and Bobby's shoot first ask questions later approach during Cas' first appearance. 

Chapter 11

I loved the scene with Cas and the principal. It's so Cas to not only read the guide book, but memorize it and use the key points against the principal in a debate. I also thought it was IC for Sam to only speak up when another student felt threatened and it was a nice parallel to the scenario faced by canon Sam during flashbacks that took place in After School Special. I've mixed thoughts on Cas applying on Dean's behalf for college. I'm never a big fan of characters trying to pressure others into doing something they've said they aren't keen on. College isn't for everyone. I also thought of @catrox14 and @ILoveReading while reading this scene. I'd imagine those two would enjoy the author highlighting just how smart Dean actually is :)

Chapter 12

Yay for the power of compromise and I'm glad the author allowed Dean to do what he wanted to do rather than feeling forced into a four year degree because of Cas applying on his behalf. Poor Sammy discovering his demonic abilities for the first time. At least Dean and Cas were there to reassure him he wasn't wrong. I'm really looking forward to finding out how things change now they know of the apocalypse plans ahead of time! Zachariah is going to be one angry angel! One thing I'm not a fan of is the idea of teen Sam being able to create an exorcism spell powerful enough to kill Azazel. If that actually turns out to be the case its  Gary Stu overpowerment to me. 

Chapter 13

The talk between Sam and Cas about the loneliness he'll feel when they die stirred some emotion in me. It made me think of canon Cas and how much the same applies to him :( Balthazar felt OOC to me. I don't think he'd have been the type to so openly show affection for Cas. I think this is probably the first time I've read the authors characterization has been off. 

Chapter 14

Eh, not a fan of the whole 'Castiel can't drive' trope that has come up a few times now. While I don't think he'd become an expert race driver any time soon as far as I recall canon Cas has been depicted as decent enough at it.  Dean buying the store and suggesting Castiel as it's manager is definitely one of my favourite scenes of the fic. One of my biggest canon complaints is how utterly dismissive and derisive the Winchester's tend to be when he's depowered ('baby in a trenchcoat' or making no effort to help him while he was homeless)' so I vastly prefer fanfic scenes like this one where they're depicted as still holding a lot of respect for his ability to contribute sans wings. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Reader Discussion 

How (thanks to Gabriel) Dean and Castiel (accidentally) raised each other (and Sam).

@Wayward Son @trxr4kids )

This isn’t important, but WS's chapter by chapter breakdown made me realize I referenced the wrong chapter in part of my post and I just wanted to clarify. What I should have said was 

On 3/26/2018 at 4:10 PM, takalotti said:

I think Chapter 15: Rock Opera is my least favorite chapter. It's just a little too wacky and weird, though of course it makes sense that it would be. You'd think it would be my favorite considering certain romantic developments, but I like the romantic developments in Chapter 12 better actually.

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Reader Discussion 

@Wayward Son @trxr4kids )

This isn’t important, but WS's chapter by chapter breakdown made me realize I referenced the wrong chapter in part of my post and I just wanted to clarify. What I should have said was 

Reader Discussion 

(@takalotti @trxr4kids)

Ill have to look out for chapter 15 haha!

I am hoping to finish up either tonight or tomorrow. Do either of you have suggestions for the next fic we should read?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I am hoping to finish up either tonight or tomorrow. Do either of you have suggestions for the next fic we should read?

2 hours ago, takalotti said:

If I may, I’d like to suggest Happily Alone by Violue.

14,715 words.

Alternate universe.

I have to bow out for now, RL is a little hectic for me at this time. I look forward to reading your posts though : )

RANT JUST IGNORE

it really gets on my nerves when i see writers call sam by his nickname. for one thing the story could be pretty interesting and appealing but then not only do they write sammy they use it every 6 words. secondly, just because you love sam doesn't mean you get to call him sammy. just no. emotional feelings aside sammy is used by his brother when

he is talking/referring to him; the narrator does not get to call him sammy because he/she is simply there to narrate what the characters are doing and/or feeling. here is an example of what i am reading. "Sammy felt like....Sammy picked up the rock....Sammy looked over...." this isn't what you're supposed to do. it makes no sense why people do this and so constantly. it throws off everything, i don't feel like i am reading a story anymore by this wall break they feel is completely appropriate. i mean seriously. name one book you've read that includes nicknames in the narration. if the characters call a Margaret "Meg", that is for them to say, and you will continually keep saying Margaret because it is for you to say.

anyway that's it.

39 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

It shows it as a complete work.

I still see the last story, The Game of God in the series as incomplete or do you just mean the first story is complete? Or is my laptop being evil again? I've read this series btw, it's wonderful. It was a little hard to get into at first for me due to being an endverse but it's hands down the best written fanfic I've ever read. I even loved the OC's which was probably the first and last time that's happened.

18 minutes ago, trxr4kids said:

I still see the last story, The Game of God in the series as incomplete or do you just mean the first story is complete? Or is my laptop being evil again? I've read this series btw, it's wonderful. It was a little hard to get into at first for me due to being an endverse but it's hands down the best written fanfic I've ever read. I even loved the OC's which was probably the first and last time that's happened.

Are there different books or something? When I clicked that link it said completed with 11 chapters. Are there more? I don't already understand Ao3 setup.

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Are there different books or something? When I clicked that link it said completed with 11 chapters. Are there more? I don't already understand Ao3 setup.

Yes, it's a whole series that stopped being updated : (

https://archiveofourown.org/series/110651

ETA: I'd still read all the books though if I were you, it's truly a great work, even incomplete by a few chapters.

Edited by trxr4kids
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, trxr4kids said:

I'd love to read it again and discuss but I can't commit time to discuss : (

I get that.

8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I’d be interested in reading it with you :)

Cool. I'm writing to hear back on new job so my plans could flip but I might try to read a chapter a day.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Reading Discussion (planning)

@Wayward Son, @catrox14

Did my suggestion get missed, or is it being passively vetoed? If the latter, for future reference I’d rather just hear "not interested" than be left scratching my head.

Sorry? I didn't a suggestion? I happened to remember the fic I mentioned and posted it.

I wasn't intending to step on any toes at all. Sorry. :(

• Love 1

56 MINUTES AGO, WAYWARD SON SAID:

Sorry I must have missed it, or saw it and forgot to respond.

I’m going to try and read it on Saturday! The fic description sounds interesting :D 

Thanks for letting me know ? This will be after you come back to finish your thoughts on chapters 15-21 of the current fic, right? ?

48 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sorry? I didn't a suggestion? I happened to remember the fic I mentioned and posted it.

I wasn't intending to step on any toes at all. Sorry. :(

My toes are fine ? FWIW, I’d be down with reading at least Part 1 of the Down to Agincourt series with you and WS after Happily Alone. I only spoke up because I didn’t want to have to wait until after another epic to make my suggestion again. Think you’d want to join us for it? Just wondering if we should tag you in the discussions or not.

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Thanks for letting me know ? This will be after you come back to finish your thoughts on chapters 15-21 of the current fic, right? ?

My toes are fine ? FWIW, I’d be down with reading at least Part 1 of the Down to Agincourt series with you and WS after Happily Alone. I only spoke up because I didn’t want to have to wait until after another epic to make my suggestion again. Think you’d want to join us for it? Just wondering if we should tag you in the discussions or not.

Tag me on it. I'll check it out. :)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Of course! I should have plenty of fic reading time this weekend! I might even try and read a few of the remaining chapters tonight :D 

Since the Down to Agincourt series is quite long, I believe the first part is 150k words long and the entire saga is 1 million, we could also read some shorter fics alongside it? Especially since @catrox14 suggested a pace of only one chapter a day. 

• Love 1

@Wayward Son, @catrox14, @trxr4kids (lurking), (and of course anyone else interested)

7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Of course! I should have plenty of fic reading time this weekend! I might even try and read a few of the remaining chapters tonight :D 

Since the Down to Agincourt series is quite long, I believe the first part is 150k words long and the entire saga is 1 million, we could also read some shorter fics alongside it? Especially since @CATROX14suggested a pace of only one chapter a day. 

Let’s see how long it takes you to post about the current fic, Happily Alone, and chapter 1 of Down to Agincourt first ? THEN we can see about peppering in short fics between chapters of DtA.

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 1

Reader Discussion 

@takalotti @trxr4kids (lurking)

How (thanks to Gabriel) Dean and Castiel (accidentally) raised each other (and Sam)

Chapter 15

• I like that the author acknowledges Dean's tendency to try and make decisions for others along with his dismissive nature towards human Cas and has Cas instantly reject such notions! Go fanfic Cas!
  • The Supernatural version of Joss Whedon's Once More With Feeling. I suppose fandom had to do it at some point. I couldn't get into it most likely because I kept comparing it (unfavourably) to the Buffy episode. I think my main problem is that it was just used as a convenient tool to push the Destiel relationship forward. I would have liked to have seen the singing reveal further deeper nuances to the characters psyche rather than simply a ship propelling tool.
  • The best part of the chapter for me was Cas' sheer disgust at the inaction of the town people. I could imagine canon Cas having a similar initial reaction when confronted with such a scenario, at least in his earlier seasons. I also thought the debate with regard to whether Gabriel's punishment of the town folk equated to hunting was interesting. Although I'm firmly of the opinion that the two things are not the same. Inaction is not the same as murder and the human world has human rules for dealing with human murderers.

Chapter 16

• I loved the talk between Gabriel and Castiel about Cas making the most of Dean's 'final days'. I thought the author did a good job of remaining true to the spirit of their canon counterparts :). Gabriel was the right mix of snarky and caring. Although it would have been intriguing to see Cas treated to a Mystery Spot trial of his own or with Sam haha.
  • The Ice cream promise :'(
  • As is the norm for both canon and fanon I really don't get Sabriel. I don't think I've managed to read a fic yet, which succeeded in convincing me how these two would fall for one another...
  • Hahahaha at Ruby's death scene. Sorry Ruby, but you missed with the wrong hunter and angel gang LOL

That's all I had time to read, but I'm looking forward to reading about Cas and Sam marching into hell to get Dean back!

• Love 1

Reader Discussion 

@Wayward Son,  @trxr4kids (lurking)
How (thanks to Gabriel) Dean and Castiel (accidentally) raised each other (and Sam)

21 MINUTES AGO, WAYWARD SON SAID:

Chapter 16

• The Ice cream promise :'(
  • As is the norm for both canon and fanon I really don't get Sabriel. I don't think I've managed to read a fic yet, which succeeded in convincing me how these two would fall for one another...
  • Hahahaha at Ruby's death scene. Sorry Ruby, but you missed with the wrong hunter and angel gang LOL

That's all I had time to read, but I'm looking forward to reading about Cas and Sam marching into hell to get Dean back!

Ah, the ice cream promise! I forgot to specifically call that out in my original comments! Cas, you feel broken open because you just indirectly accepted an outcome you’ve been in denial about.

I don’t get Sabriel either, but I accept it and don’t begrudge it. Mostly because I know there are plenty of fans who do begrudge and don’t accept Destiel and I wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite. 

Haha, I forgot about Ruby's scene! It really was so great.

Canon...

Ruby gets practically a whole season and a whole arc (and a real life husband to boot).

This fic...

Spoiler

Ruby: I have information!

Gabriel: (stab!)

Sam and Cas: Cool knife.

Me: ?

Going back also reminded me of this fun bit of meta...

“You should clean the blade before you do anything else. Demon blood is a nasty contaminant.” 

“Tell me about it.” Sam took it to the sink, washing the blood off with antibacterial soap. 

“I didn’t mean-” 

“It’s ok. I was a baby without consent. Be a different story if I drank it willingly or something.”

?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

This one was great! I always get a giggly kick out of it when they use clips that line up with the lyrics perfectly. Doesn’t even have to be that obscure. "Waking up", "wipe my brow", "prison bus"...

My only quibble is that, for me, the best part of the clip when Cas slams the two angels to the ground and blasts them is when he looks up. This vid used the slam but not the look up (not even intercut with other clips).

(edited)
9 hours ago, takalotti said:

My only quibble is that, for me, the best part of the clip when Cas slams the two angels to the ground and blasts them is when he looks up. This vid used the slam but not the look up (not even intercut with other clips).

I think that is possibly Cas's most badass move in the whole of the series. When I think of the warrior angel he was supposed to have been, this is the scene I think of. (Weren't they demons though?)

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

(Weren't they demons though?)

Very possible. I’m terrible at details from that long ago. I probably think they were angels because in my head it makes the moment more badass, killing his old brothers because they were a threat to his new brothers.

2 hours ago, takalotti said:

Very possible. I’m terrible at details from that long ago. I probably think they were angels because in my head it makes the moment more badass, killing his old brothers because they were a threat to his new brothers.

Yeah, they were demons and Cas took them all out to stop Dean & Sam from finding out what he was up to, if I recall correctly. Still a badass move though!

• Love 1
(edited)

^^^^^^

The highlights for me were

1) Favorite bit : Dean grabbing Sam by the ear and saying "You're in big trouble, Mister" because he didn't answer Kevin's calls. I legit LOL'd at that one. 

2) Benny 'camping' in Dean's arm LOL.

3) Of course, every time she inserts the 'subbbtext' for the Destiel shippers, and the big subtext face over the Crypt Scene reference.  Too funny.

4) Her utter annoyance with them putting Abaddon back together.  Same, Sister. Same. LOL

ETA: Honorable mentions:

Kevin's wonky eye when he was translating the tablets. LOL
The arms touching with Dean and Benny and Dean and Cas which I think is hugging? Still funny.

Edited by catrox14
There were a lot of really funny things in this one. I can't list them ALL
  • Love 2

Thanks for posting @catrox14! I read some of the comments that were posted on YT about the video and one watcher said that she really enjoys the vids even though she only watches the SPN eps that feature Charlie. I don't think that I've ever heard of fans only watching for Charlie...

• Love 1

Awesome tribute to Dean that connects plot from season 4 and 5 to 13 in a way that the writers frankly don't deserve. I've watched it multiple times for how well the song fits and the scenes that were chosen!

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

Awesome tribute to Dean that connects plot from season 4 and 5 to 13 in a way that the writers frankly don't deserve. I've watched it multiple times for how well the song fits and the scenes that were chosen!

I should have known whose work that was without even checking, she? does the most amazing songvids I've ever seen.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

It IS an excellent video.  I don't know why the writer's don't "deserve" the plot to be connected like this.  How many people saw this coming?  At least half the board.  People don't like how the fight scene was choreographed.  Some feel AU!Michael is a deal breaker.  Whatever this issue people have with the details, the writing this season inspired this video at this time.  It's not an out-of-the-blue new way of thinking.  It's the story of Dean Winchester that TPTB have been telling all along.  This is the story I've seen.  

Again, it's exceptionally well done.  I would very much like to see it receive some fandom award. Lovingly chosen scenes meshed perfectly with the song.  But it's not an alternative telling of the show's plot.  It doesn't combine the last 13 years in different way than what the show put forth. It's a compliation of multiple seasons showing how we finally got to Michael!Dean - the plot turn most predicted since Paylefest and one toyed with as soon as we found Michael in the AU.  

4 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

Agreed! Thanks for posting @BabySpinach

• Love 2
(edited)

Not sure why this was even necessary since the creator of this vid admitted that she hasn't even watched since season 8. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

And bonus, she's a huge Dean fan!

This is always a bonus :)

Edited by DeeDee79
51 minutes ago, SueB said:

It IS an excellent video.  I don't know why the writer's don't "deserve" the plot to be connected like this.  How many people saw this coming?  At least half the board.  People don't like how the fight scene was choreographed.  Some feel AU!Michael is a deal breaker.  Whatever this issue people have with the details, the writing this season inspired this video at this time.  It's not an out-of-the-blue new way of thinking.  It's the story of Dean Winchester that TPTB have been telling all along.  This is the story I've seen.  

Again, it's exceptionally well done.  I would very much like to see it receive some fandom award. Lovingly chosen scenes meshed perfectly with the song.  But it's not an alternative telling of the show's plot.  It doesn't combine the last 13 years in different way than what the show put forth. It's a compliation of multiple seasons showing how we finally got to Michael!Dean - the plot turn most predicted since Paylefest and one toyed with as soon as we found Michael in the AU.  

What I meant was that this video ingeniously made it seem, through great editing, that Dean's Michael endgame was the plan all along, which we categorically know to not be the case. It's fans that do most of the work when it comes to thematically connecting various seasons of the show into a cohesive whole. The writers nowadays just fling things at the wall and gauge the viewers' reactions, and once in a while, by sheer chance or desperation, they hit upon something that makes thematic sense and develops an earlier story/character element further.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

What I meant was that this video ingeniously made it seem, through great editing, that Dean's Michael endgame was the plan all along, which we categorically know to not be the case. It's fans that do most of the work when it comes to thematically connecting various seasons of the show into a cohesive whole. The writers nowadays just fling things at the wall and gauge the viewers' reactions, and once in a while, by sheer chance or desperation, they hit upon something that makes thematic sense and develops an earlier story/character element further.

Agree. This is not the Michael that was wanted (by some) or foreshadowed - most certainly not the endgame that was envisioned when Zachariah told Dean he was the Michael sword. No one will ever convince me of that. There really isn't a logical reason Dean is the AU Michael's vessel, IMO, but that's another post.

And again IMO, the reason this creator was able to put this absolutely awesome video together, is largely, IMO, thanks to Jensen's acting. His gift in taking the most mediocre writing and infusing it with emotion, characterization, and too often, the history of Dean that the words don't always provide. Spectacular video. Huge kudos to the creator. It's one I'll watch again and again.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Agree. This is not the Michael that was wanted (by some) or foreshadowed - most certainly not the endgame that was envisioned when Zachariah told Dean he was the Michael sword. No one will ever convince me of that. There really isn't a logical reason Dean is the AU Michael's vessel, IMO, but that's another post.

And again IMO, the reason this creator was able to put this absolutely awesome video together, is largely, IMO, thanks to Jensen's acting. His gift in taking the most mediocre writing and infusing it with emotion, characterization, and too often, the history of Dean that the words don't always provide. Spectacular video. Huge kudos to the creator. It's one I'll watch again and again.

I'm glad you liked it, and I'm sure I'll also be coming back to it several more times, when my Hellatus pain grows too great!

I do have to confess, however, that I don't subscribe to the video's "thesis" that Dean tragically succumbed to fate in the end, as if his possession by Michael were inevitable. For one thing, it wasn't even our Michael, and for another, the entire possession and killing of Lucifer was on Dean's terms. He dictated the conditions and he got to kill Lucifer with Michael as the battery. Instead of being merely a weapon and tool for some "greater" being, Michael was the weapon and tool of "lowly human" Dean. I like to think that that was Dean's final "fuck you" to Zachariah. 

Regardless, I still love the tragic tone of the video. My favorite part may be the guitar solo, when we see Dean's various kills escalating up to his final battle with Lucifer.

• Love 6