Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Fanfiction

• Start Topic

I love all of this writer's early season fics and have rec'd them often, but for me, somewhere along the way, she became a Sam apologist. I would never say anti - Dean, but most stories seem to have that undercurrent of poor, put upon Sam. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/24/2020 at 9:06 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I love all of this writer's early season fics and have rec'd them often, but for me, somewhere along the way, she became a Sam apologist. I would never say anti - Dean, but most stories seem to have that undercurrent of poor, put upon Sam. 

Oh she still has a few good ones, but yes it was her earlier works that grabbed my interest.  Since she brought me into the fandom, I thought I would see what she came up with.  Really an outline as they are really short just shows that it can be done.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Oh she still has a few good ones, but yes it was her earlier works that grabbed my interest.  Since she brought me into the fandom, I thought I would see what she came up with.  Really an outline as they are really short just shows that it can be done.

She is a very talented writer, I won't take that away.

1 hour ago, goyour-own-way said:

Has anyone here ever gotten into the Brotherhood AU by Ridley C. James? She hasn't written anything in a few years now, and it was all a bit confusing at first, but eventually I absolutely fell in love with her universe. 

I did! I think I've read everything now by Ridley and Tidia (sp?) and even a few brotherhood verse-adjacent stories by other authors. I really enjoy them, mostly because she respects Dean so much. She/they are a good example of being able to write other characters (Sam, Caleb, John) as good/smart, without having to make Dean bad/dumb to do it. Some entries are definitely better than others, but on the whole I enjoy the verse.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I did! I think I've read everything now by Ridley and Tidia (sp?) and even a few brotherhood verse-adjacent stories by other authors. I really enjoy them, mostly because she respects Dean so much. She/they are a good example of being able to write other characters (Sam, Caleb, John) as good/smart, without having to make Dean bad/dumb to do it. Some entries are definitely better than others, but on the whole I enjoy the verse.

I’m definitely a Caleb fangirl. I miss him when I watch the show 😅 

1 minute ago, goyour-own-way said:

I’m definitely a Caleb fangirl. I miss him when I watch the show 😅 

He's a great character. Mac, too. I'm sure you know this but just in case, all the Ridley/Tidia fics are in chronological order here.

It's funny, they use Tom Selleck as actor/inspiration for Mac, but for me, I will always picture him as Gerald McRaney.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, goyour-own-way said:

Has anyone here ever gotten into the Brotherhood AU by Ridley C. James? She hasn't written anything in a few years now, and it was all a bit confusing at first, but eventually I absolutely fell in love with her universe. 

I did years ago but honestly I felt like she fell way too much in love with her Caleb.  She started out with a lot of good Dean stuff and then it seemed like it became all about Caleb. So I stopped reading because I'm not a big fanfic person anyway and you know it's bad enough Dean had all his plots shoved aside, stolen or suddenly "shared" in the show, I didn't need to see it with what was essentially an OC in fanfic. 🙂  

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, goyour-own-way said:

Yes, some are better than others and her fics also have other writers that have expanded the universe even if they don't always line up with what they created.  I do like her Caleb.  I think when she got disillusioned with the show, well, her stories really came to a halt.

44 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It's funny, they use Tom Selleck as actor/inspiration for Mac, but for me, I will always picture him as Gerald McRaney.

Love both actors,  will have to think on which one would be the better Mac...Never thought of Gerald since she always said it was Tom.    I will say the stories have stolen many hours of my life but good writers do that.  There are good fanfiction writers out there.  Some, I think would have done a better job than Dabb.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I did years ago but honestly I felt like she fell way too much in love with her Caleb.  She started out with a lot of good Dean stuff and then it seemed like it became all about Caleb. So I stopped reading because I'm not a big fanfic person anyway and you know it's bad enough Dean had all his plots shoved aside, stolen or suddenly "shared" in the show, I didn't need to see it with what was essentially an OC in fanfic. 🙂  

I am generally not a fan of OC fic, like at all. I think what's cool about this verse is that I could see this as the series if it was never meant to only be about the brothers, an actual  ensemble show. I think they do a really nice job of fleshing out the OCs, but in a way that does tie them to the SPN verse nicely. Even John is pretty much an OC in this world. And even when Dean isn't the central figure in a particular story, they always respect him. And I probably give them leeway because

Spoiler

I know that Dean is The Guardian and I love that. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I am generally not a fan of OC fic, like at all. I think what's cool about this verse is that I could see this as the series if it was never meant to only be about the brothers, an actual  ensemble show. I think they do a really nice job of fleshing out the OCs, but in a way that does tie them to the SPN verse nicely. Even John is pretty much an OC in this world. And even when Dean isn't the central figure in a particular story, they always respect him. And I probably give them leeway because

Reveal spoiler

Yeah it's been so long since I read what I did of it I can't remember many details but it just didn't seem like it was that big a deal with all the focus Caleb was getting  LOL Like I said if I'm reading fanfic it's not because I want to read about OC's who are just as good or better than my favorite character esp when pretty much the only reason I read it would be to get away from that in the actual show. 🙂 

But don't get me wrong, it was well written.  Shame the people paid to write the tv series couldn't put that much care into it the actual SPN as some fanfic writers put into their own fic series. 🙂

• Love 4
6 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Yeah it's been so long since I read what I did of it I can't remember many details but it just didn't seem like it was that big a deal with all the focus Caleb was getting  LOL Like I said if I'm reading fanfic it's not because I want to read about OC's who are just as good or better than my favorite character esp when pretty much the only reason I read it would be to get away from that in the actual show. 🙂 

But don't get me wrong, it was well written.  Shame the people paid to write the tv series couldn't put that much care into it the actual SPN as some fanfic writers put into their own fic series. 🙂

There were some Dean-focused stories in it that were pretty good. Even some cute later ones where he had a family.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Hide contents

As a general rule, I can't stand OCs. But the ones in the Brotherhood are well written enough that I enjoy reading about them. Ridley does focus on Caleb a lot, so I can see why that could turn people away, it just worked out for me because I ended up liking him so much! During the S8-S9 era of SPN I sought out stories focused on Mac, Caleb, Joshua, any of the OCs, because I was so annoyed with Sam and Dean I didn't want to focus on them 😅

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I haven't read any fanfiction since early-series, and even then, not much.

But I read these endings and I loved the second one.

Now I would like to see someone write the ending as being at S11 minus the bringing back Mary nonsense

Or the British Men of Letters...

Otherwise, same.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I wrote a little thing - my version of the series ending at 11x23, minus Mary and the BMOL. I always love feedback, and a kudo if you're so inclined would be much appreciated.

You Can't Always Get What You Want (You Get What You Need)

I read this last  night, Gonzosgirrl. 

Nice job!

I'll take this over Badd's nonsense any day.

I especially liked that you remembered what Dean once told us of his own thoughts and feelings concerning what "peace" is to him, in his life.

If only the asshats who pretended to write for this show in it's last seasons had remembered that, too. 😠

• Love 2

Those are all amazing, @BabySpinach - great stuff! His influence and effect on the powerful supernatural beings in his circle was one of my favourite things about the series, a-hole Badd's a-hole Chuck notwithstanding. In the end though, I don't think Dean ever wanted to be anything but human, flaws and all. And he was the best.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 6

I wish my excitement for the show was still alive.  I have fanfiction that needs to be finished, but the blah ending of the series is making it hard for me to get back in the grove of writing.  Any suggestions for how you've finished a story when you weren't excited about writing it?

12 hours ago, 7kstar said:

I wish my excitement for the show was still alive.  I have fanfiction that needs to be finished, but the blah ending of the series is making it hard for me to get back in the grove of writing.  Any suggestions for how you've finished a story when you weren't excited about writing it?

I look at fanfiction as my characters, and in my world, even if I'm using canon events, they are my characters. I see them outside the scope of the show. So what the show does, or what the actors think of their characters, etc., doesn't mean anything as far as my own story goes. The other two fandoms I've written in (one RPS, one a tv show) ended in a way that 95% of the fandom hated, and the actors who played the two most-written-about characters both validated it. Didn't change a single word I wrote about it. 🙂

Personally, I'm having a much harder time reading SPN fic, than writing it.

• Love 1

Since there are so many choices and preferences in fanfic and it's getting harder for me to wade through them all to find the ones I'd enjoy,  I'd like to ask for recommendations to try to find some new stories for me.  Can anyone recommend someone who is (still) writing strong, canon-compliant, gen Dean stories?  I've been reading (and writing) SPN ff since 2009, and lately most of the Dean-focused stories I see on AO3, FF.net and even places like Summergen seem to be mostly  Destiel, Dean taking care of Sam (and/or Jack) or Sam as hero taking care of weak Dean.  Quite frankly, after the last few years, I can't stomach any of the brotherly-love-above-all type stories any more.    

There used to be quite a few people who wrote wonderful Dean:  strong (even though broken), determined, with no superheroics needed, but it seems most have dropped out of the fandom or are staying quiet.  (My favorites have been Gaelicspirit, Big Pink, Hannah Korossy, RoqueClasique and Carol Davis (as well as so many writing in the early years) so I'm looking for other suggestions.)  

I'm trying to wipe the last few years of the show out of my memory by going back to my favorite flavor of Dean:  purely human, with all his issues and problems, but trying his damnedest to work through them.  No serious shipping of any flavor, because the Dean I've watched for 15 years seems (unfortunately) unable to form any deep relationships (of any kind) that include both sex and emotions.  Casefic, angst, whatever; just focused on Dean and how he handles himself and others. 

Help?

9 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Since there are so many choices and preferences in fanfic and it's getting harder for me to wade through them all to find the ones I'd enjoy,  I'd like to ask for recommendations to try to find some new stories for me.  Can anyone recommend someone who is (still) writing strong, canon-compliant, gen Dean stories?

I usually search through writers' favorite stories of the ones I've enjoyed reading. 

Here are the favs that I marked when I read them, but I haven't been reading that many lately.  Don't know if that helps or not.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1080405/7kstar

17 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

I usually search through writers' favorite stories of the ones I've enjoyed reading. 

Here are the favs that I marked when I read them, but I haven't been reading that many lately.  Don't know if that helps or not.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1080405/7kstar

Thank you!  All suggestions are appreciated (and it looks like there are quite a few interesting ones to look through!)

• Love 1

I have a lot of fantastic early fanfic that I printed and saved.  Sadly, much of it is no longer available online but I can go through and see what might still be posted and share.

There was an author, whose name I can't remember at the moment,  who wrote some pretty awesome Supernatural/Dark Angel crossover fic.

Edited by Anywhoo

I can't remember if I've ever rec'd these, but in honour of the Impala's birthday yesterday, here are my favourite stories featuring Baby. Both series are written by tolakasa.

First, Impalaverse, which is a series of stories in which Baby doesn't actually speak but is sentient nevertheless.

Second, there is Undertow, another series which I won't spoil with too much description but if you are a fan of a Dean with powers, and you aren't averse to (eventual) death fic, trust me. Read this series.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I can't remember if I've ever rec'd these, but in honour of the Impala's birthday yesterday, here are my favourite stories featuring Baby. Both series are written by tolakasa.

First, Impalaverse, which is a series of stories in which Baby doesn't actually speak but is sentient nevertheless.

Second, there is Undertow, another series which I won't spoil with too much description but if you are a fan of a Dean with powers, and you aren't averse to (eventual) death fic, trust me. Read this series.

I haven't read Impalaverse yet but I second your recommendation for Undertow which you were kind enough to recommend to me some time ago. It's awesome but the ending is definitely bittersweet IMO.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

I haven't read Impalaverse yet but I second your recommendation for Undertow which you were kind enough to recommend to me some time ago. It's awesome but the ending is definitely bittersweet IMO.

Definitely,  but such a unique story,  it's worth the pain. :) 

The Impalaverse borders on crack at times, but her attitude is briliiant.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1

I just reread Big Pink's "Fire in the Hole", first time I've read fic in probably ten years. Good God, that achy John & Dean post-Stanford goodness. I always thought that was one of the most interesting time periods in this family's life that was pretty much untouched in the show, but honestly, I don't think the show writers could've done it better than the fic writers did back then. That was one hell of a story, and her John&Dean dynamics are totally my head canon for that time in their lives. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Aithne said:

I just reread Big Pink's "Fire in the Hole", first time I've read fic in probably ten years. Good God, that achy John & Dean post-Stanford goodness. I always thought that was one of the most interesting time periods in this family's life that was pretty much untouched in the show, but honestly, I don't think the show writers could've done it better than the fic writers did back then. That was one hell of a story, and her John&Dean dynamics are totally my head canon for that time in their lives. 

I loved that story.  Big Pink was one of my favourite writers.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Aithne said:

I read that fic back in the day and enjoyed it immensely. Re bolding: I think the fic writers could have written the entire Badd years better than he and his crew did - especially with the finale. Jensen mentioned in a con that he, Jared and others had to rewrite parts of the final three episodes of S11 (the job that Badd was in charge of) in order to make them make sense and flow. That should have given TPTB a clue not to have Badd in charge of showrunning!!!!!

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I read that fic back in the day and enjoyed it immensely. Re bolding: I think the fic writers could have written the entire Badd years better than he and his crew did - especially with the finale. 

For sure. I mean, even something small like the Bobby backstory in this fic was subtler and more interesting to me than what was presented onscreen, and his canon backstory was presented when the writing wasn't as atrocious as it got later on. For sure some the fic writers could've been superior to the Dabb years (and many others, for that matter...)

• Love 1

Still rereading old fic, and wished I could find that great Cassie/Dean fic, but I couldn't remember what it was called or who wrote it. Started googling remembered usernames and happened on it almost immediately (and in the process, saw some other usernames I hadn't remembered, and I'm gonna have to remind myself of their fics tomorrow when it's not 1:30 in the morning on a work night). 

Lacuna, by innie_darling. What a lovely, dreamy fic. If you haven't read it before, look it up. It made me love Rt 666, in retrospect.