Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E01: Hannah Graham: Deadly Connections (Part 1) / S29.E02: Stalked By Evil (Part 2)

photo fox
  • Start Topic

It was a year ago that Hannah Graham, a bright, young college student with a promising future went missing in Charlottesville, Virginia, and was ultimately murdered.

Graham was last seen in the early hours of on Sept. 13, 2014, after a night out with friends. The search for her was the most exhaustive in Virginia history. And after her body was found, the investigation into her death, which generated national attention, led police to cases of other unsolved attacks against young women spanning a decade.

"48 Hours" kicks off its 28th season with a two-hour primetime investigation into who killed Graham and the terrifying fear that the accused killer may have struck before.

This was a really dense episode with a lot of moving parts, and Susan Spencer did a great job with it.

However, the takeaway for me was this:  I admire the living hell out of Trina Murphy, Jill Harrington, and RG.

• Love 3

I'm confused by the way Hannah is connected to the suspect. Did the two of them go to a bar or did he apparently spot her walking and meet up? I remember reading that the two were seen drinking together at a bar but I don't remember hearing anything about that last night.

That creep is a walking advertisement for the death penalty.

Given how spaced out the three attacks were it made me wonder if there were other victims out there who haven't been discovered because brutally beating, raping and killing women isn't typically something predators do only every four or five years.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I'm confused by the way Hannah is connected to the suspect. Did the two of them go to a bar or did he apparently spot her walking and meet up? I remember reading that the two were seen drinking together at a bar but I don't remember hearing anything about that last night.

That creep is a walking advertisement for the death penalty.

He found her walking on the downtown mall. There is no known connection between the two. The bar was after he followed her.

• Love 1

He found her walking on the downtown mall. There is no known connection between the two. The bar was after he followed her.

Yes. I followed this case really closely when it occurred. 48 hours didn't show it, but the creepiest part in the videos IMO is you see JLM walking, see HG, and then cross to the other side to follow her. You literally see that moment.

• Love 4

I agree...that is very creepy, especially since there was a fair amount of people walking around at that time.  You just think, the fact that he noticed her specifically like that, and then what happened to her in the end is just awful.

The one part I found interesting, as it was the only thing I hadn't heard before, was that the woman in Fairfax--I didn't know that someone else had come around, and that might have saved her life.  I had always just read that she got away, but I thought it was of her own accord.  I am so glad that guy came around with his car lights.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 6

That man definitely saved that woman's life.  Another hero to add to the heroines in this tragic story.  This episode had me in tears.  I really hope the evil monster gets a really stiff sentence for the rape, because I have a sickening feeling that his lawyers are going to manage to get him off on the murder charges. 

• Love 2

I remember reading that the two were seen drinking together at a bar but I don't remember hearing anything about that last night.

Yes this.  So did she know him or did he literally just pick her up off the street and they had drinks together?  He had his arm around her so that means they knew each other well enough for her to feel comfortable with him touching her or he was holding her so she could not get away.  And if the later is true how is they go and have drinks?  Why was no one in the bar interviewed or the person that waited on them? 

And what I don't get is, why was she just roaming around town/mall?  Was she looking for her friends?  Was she drunk?  It just seems kind of weird she was alone.  If they addressed this I must have missed it but I would have thought it would have been a major point in trying to find out what happened to her that night.

• Love 3

gaPeach, my undertanding is that she told friends (via call or text) that she was lost en route to a party. I don't know if she was under the influence of anything at the time but she had just left a different party and had stopped in at a pub. She and Mathews ended up at a bar/restaurant together. Then they left the bar together and that's the last anyone knows. :(

• Love 4

Yes this.  So did she know him or did he literally just pick her up off the street and they had drinks together?  He had his arm around her so that means they knew each other well enough for her to feel comfortable with him touching her or he was holding her so she could not get away.  And if the later is true how is they go and have drinks?  Why was no one in the bar interviewed or the person that waited on them? 

And what I don't get is, why was she just roaming around town/mall?  Was she looking for her friends?  Was she drunk?  It just seems kind of weird she was alone.  If they addressed this I must have missed it but I would have thought it would have been a major point in trying to find out what happened to her that night.

I don't think that since he had his arm around her that they knew each other. If she was lost and drunk, she may not have been in a mindset to tell him to stop. He's known for being very charming and used to be a cab driver.

• Love 4

I must have missed the part about her being lost looking for the party.  And if she was somewhat intoxicated I could see him putting arm around her to help her walk and guide her.

But with that said, they had a drink or drinks at bar I am surprised she did not text/call friends to come get her or something. 

So sad that we cannot trust even someone that seems to be helping us but has other ideas of how the evening will end.

• Love 2

gaPeach, yes, the fact the was so lost and obviously impaired enough to even wander as far as she did for a reason noone could really understand makes it all the more sad.  I remember when this story first came out, I couldn't figure out why she was leaving a party alone anyway.... I don't know the whole situation of why she wasn't with friends, and when she did text them saying she was lost that someone didn't come get her.  I know when I went to college we wouldn't have walked alone anyway, but I can't imagine someone not coming around quickly to help.  

• Love 3

I must have missed the part about her being lost looking for the party.  And if she was somewhat intoxicated I could see him putting arm around her to help her walk and guide her.

Speaking of someone trying to help her... did this ep omit the fact that a Caucasian man was seen following her (and later came forward), or did I miss it? I know he was cleared, but it seemed like a such a strange thing to do - you see a young woman who appears to be alone and in distress but all you do is duck into a doorway and then follow her for a while?  Kinda weird. Maybe he just didn't know how to approach her without coming off as a creep.

• Love 2

gaPeach, yes, the fact the was so lost and obviously impaired enough to even wander as far as she did for a reason noone could really understand makes it all the more sad.  I remember when this story first came out, I couldn't figure out why she was leaving a party alone anyway.... I don't know the whole situation of why she wasn't with friends, and when she did text them saying she was lost that someone didn't come get her.  I know when I went to college we wouldn't have walked alone anyway, but I can't imagine someone not coming around quickly to help.

Yes this is all so odd that she was out on her own, apparently drunk or impaired, without any friends and apparently roamed out of the area? It would have been nice to have heard more about what happened that night before she went missing and maybe interview the people in the bar that saw them together.  How did she seem?  Drunk? Scared? Lost?  

A college town must be a gold mine for persons with bad intentions.  I think college aged people are so unaware of how fast it can go bad and they are prime targets.  Lots of drinking and partying with late night trips home and the false sense of security because you are in a college town. 

• Love 4

Speaking of someone trying to help her... did this ep omit the fact that a Caucasian man was seen following her (and later came forward), or did I miss it? I know he was cleared, but it seemed like a such a strange thing to do - you see a young woman who appears to be alone and in distress but all you do is duck into a doorway and then follow her for a while?  Kinda weird. Maybe he just didn't know how to approach her without coming off as a creep.

Yeah, it's so weird that they omitted that!

The woman in Galveston is also a hero, because she recognized him and notified police of his whereabouts. She stayed in the area to guide the police even though he was glaring at her. I would have been scared to death!

• Love 6

Going from memory, I believe he was cleared rather quickly and the police were kind of 'let's not waste time on him'.  I have wondered if he was an off duty cop, or federal officer or military or something.  Not that one of those can't be a bad guy.  But something that once they started investigating and typing him into a computer, something easy to check popped up.

I'm surprised they didn't wait a couple of weeks to air this to include the sentencing for the rape that's scheduled for Oct 2nd.

He was sentenced to 3 consecutive life sentences.  He will be eligible for parole at age 60.  Not sure how that works, if he still has another 2 sentences to serve but that's the law in VA.  I believe they are seeking the death penalty in Hannah's case, in which case, he'll never leave jail.  Not sure what they are seeking in Morgan's case.

• Love 2

I'm glad he got such a harsh sentence, but how did he get three life sentences? Not one?

3 felonies:  kidnapping (because he picked her up and took her near the woods), sexual assault/rape (used his finger & attempted his penis) and attempted murder (attempted strangulation & beat her about the head)

She really was lucky that passerby came home and was paying attention.  I really believe she would be dead. 

• Love 4

3 felonies:  kidnapping (because he picked her up and took her near the woods), sexual assault/rape (used his finger & attempted his penis) and attempted murder (attempted strangulation & beat her about the head)

She really was lucky that passerby came home and was paying attention.  I really believe she would be dead. 

Ah, thanks for this. I didn't realize each of the three felonies had a max of life sentence

• Love 1

There's something so wrong about this!

omg... 60 is young enough for him to resume his ..... behaviors and murdering.  BOO. And even if it were at age 80 or 90  when he is eligible for parole (and was granted it) -- it is the principle. His victims don't get to walk the earth, hug their loved ones,  and enjoy life at any age.....elderly or not.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I'm just now seeing this on the CBS app. I missed the premiere.

So glad this guy was stopped. I hope the other families get justice as well. It would be easy for the cities to spare the expense of a trial since he's already in jail but thankfully they are still going ahead.

Was I the only one confused by the Alexis Murphy case and its inclusion in the show? Her case should have had its own episode; beautiful American teenager excited about graduating, then is stalked and murdered. I don't understand why they shoehorned her in here given there was zero connection to the other two cases. Then again, I also don't understand why I had never heard of her case at all but remember seeing round the clock coverage of the Harrington and Graham disappearances.

Good old America.

• Love 3

Besides the fact that victims of color don't get coverage, Alexis' case was solved quickly.

I think she was included of the relationship between her mother and Mrs. Harrington because they started an organization together and also perhaps to avoid some of the criticism of how cases with victims of color are ignored. However, since I often am doing other things when watching these shows, I kept thinking they were somehow going to be connected.

• Love 1