Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Free TV, streaming, whatever:  No thank you to NFL Friday, period.

Sure I might be looking forward to the game, but this was really unnecessary.

(I guess) you can mess with the collegiate level (in mess that's real games on Saturday).  Not a great thing to have a conflict opposite High School football

• Like 1

I'll still disagree, unless that injury is career ending or life ending.

Personally that's not fair based on how everything played out & the total picture.

Though I would have given him less than what he earned, but Green Bay had to pay him.  However, if a team like Cincinnati doesn't pay someone like Chase & they struggle, I don't know if people will forgo citing his absence throughout the season

10 minutes ago, Carey said:

Though I would have given him less than what he earned, but Green Bay had to pay him.  However, if a team like Cincinnati doesn't pay someone like Chase & they struggle, I don't know if people will forgo citing his absence throughout the season

that’s what I really meant.  That it was too soon to pay him that much.  Yes, he deserved a new contract, and they had to pay him something more due to the year of his rookie contract, butIMO he hasn’t earned top $ - yet.  Give him a contract equal to Baker’s for a year and then pay him t top dollar, if he earns it this season.

• Like 1

One things for sure: while Green Bay may appear to take 3 consecutive decades of "having a decent QB" to 4 and possibly 5, they were blessed to have Favre to where they didn't have to worry about not having one for a period of time.  The max from the early 90s to the late 2000s was the conclusion of the game that Brett exited from early.

Although injuries are no laughing matter, it was sort of hilarious that A-Rod found his way to IR while No. 4 was still there.  Pretty much hell on Earth at Lambeau, courtesy of the team from Foxborough.  I guess I'd call it revenge from a decade ago.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL continued having games on Fridays going forward.  However, they can do away with playing a game in Brazil from here on out.  It doesn't make sense if they're going to continue to make decisions & changes that "trend toward player safety" unless they can cash on it.  I don't know if they'd play a game that early in Europe; I don't think they have to, but as long as the Friday games are before the second Saturday of September, they'll be able to have those

2 hours ago, Carey said:

One things for sure: while Green Bay may appear to take 3 consecutive decades of "having a decent QB" to 4 and possibly 5, they were blessed to have Favre to where they didn't have to worry about not having one for a period of time.  The max from the early 90s to the late 2000s was the conclusion of the game that Brett exited from early.

Favre and Rodgers aren't just decent QBs, they're first ballot Hall of Famers.  And somehow the Packers only managed to grab two SB rings in all that time, which has to be a huge disappointment.  30 years of great regular seasons and a lot of playoff disappointments.  Who do they think they are, a slightly better version of the Cowboys? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

No Russell Wilson for Pittsburgh this afternoon.

Not on a related note, Tyreek Hill is expected to play despite being detained in Miami this morning

(edited)

NFL Summer Vacation is over. Technically it officially ended on Tuesday, but who's counting. Anyway, the first Sunday of the 2024 NFL Season starts in about 3 hours. 

Anyhow, I wish most teams lots of good luck in this new season. Except for the Cowboys (For obvious reasons. Especially that scummy loser Jerry Jones & his loser scummy son Stephen Jones), Falcons (I can't ever forget 28-3), those sorry sucky scummy Rams, Chargers (Jim Harbaugh & Justin Herbert will not ever get these clowns over the hump), Bears (I'm not going to blame their usual incompetence this season on Caleb Williams. Even he doesn't deserve that. BTW, he will not win Rookie of the Year.), Commanders (they're still unlikable), Cardinals (I can't think anything nice about them.) Texans (I may like CJ Stroud. But, their owner is downright wretched & very unlikeable.), Bills (I may enjoy the Bills Mafia, but Josh Allen is going to bring them even more failure. I'm sure their defense will bring in the suck like they usually do in big moments.) Panthers (That team & their sad excuse of an owner are a dumpster fire), & speaking of dumpster fires, the Jets (And especially their utter loser QB who can't keep his mouth shut & leave us the hell alone, Aaron Rodgers.) In fact, I'm going to enjoy him bringing the Jets even more failure this season & this time, he's going to help them.

Is there any other team, player, or owner that I missed that would hopefully have a very miserable season?

BTW, Tom Brady is going to absolutely suck as an NFL announcer. I'm not here for his worthless analysis & his off-putting know it all demeanor.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 5
(edited)

DO. NOT. CARE about Dak or his money or his stupid GM.  Glad we no longer have to hear about it.

Tyreek Hill is not a good man, and he was also done very wrong this morning while handcuffed.

I can avoid a Brady game in week one, but not a Cowboys one.  It’s like, would you like to contract COVID, or Ebola?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2

If the following makes you feel any better, Magog: CBS doesn't have a double-header today on TB12's NFL color commentary debut.  Since they moved to 18 weeks, the league added a second Sunday where both FOX & CBS had a double header, and that used to be on Week One (in addition to the final regular week of the season).

Until I saw the schedule, I figured that the NFL didn't want to have Jim & Tony working opposite them, but apparently they do have a game (albeit a scheduled kickoff 20 minutes in advance).

So the good news is that there is actually another option.  The bad news is that it isn't a great option, but thank you to the creator of the mute button.

Thanks for the well wishes.  No issue not wishing anything for Dallas.  I do not give a damn about the Cowboys.  Meanwhile, Pittsburgh will need all the good luck and that may not be enough.

While it would be anything other than a surprise to see Pittsburgh backdoor to 8 wins & a tie if not 9 wins with pending results from another Week 18 game, I do not see a win on their schedule, period. Maybe Week 8, but that is it.

Never been so happy for the RedZone.   Less TB to hear.   

Yay Dak got paid.   I don't blame him for the team not going to the SB.   That's on the GM and coach.   He never had a good coach for his career.   

On 9/7/2024 at 12:02 PM, baldryanr said:

And somehow the Packers only managed to grab two SB rings in all that time, which has to be a huge disappointment.  30 years of great regular seasons and a lot of playoff disappointments. 

Coach*.   They had McCarthy during the Rodgers years.   And where is McCarthy now?   Screwing up Dallas.   

I wish Jerry would just sell the team.

*some of it.   I think Rodgers and Favre are overrated.  Both selfish gits who got lucky once with a good team around them.

• Like 1

Oh shit.  Is Brady doing the Dallas game?  Am I going to be irritated TWICE?

Usher followed by Kendrick Lamar feels like a little bit of variety, but not much variety.  Maybe switch things up a little bit, Jay-Z?

• LOL 2

Brady and KB (with EA & Mr. Rinaldi) at Huntington Bank Field to start the third (or 4th or 5th) era in terms of a top team calling games for FOX.  To be honest, a game one can be irritated thrice, let alone once or twice.  With apologies to merylinkid & roamyn.

One more thing about the Steelers, or two more: Probably precautionary in term of RW, but that injury is probably a season-long one.  Also, thinking about another team from Western PA that loves defense.  That team finally understood offense is the way to go in football in the current day.  TBH, it might take at least 4 games for the Steelers to score 55 points (offensively)

• Wink 1

Wonder if it’s  weird for Tom Brady to have a casual conversation with Michael Strahan knowing that Strahan was responsible for stuffing Brady into the Arizona turf whilst preventing football history.

Brady said nothing but platitudes and generalities in his brief discussion about stupid Dallas.  Not feeling very hopeful here.  Bring back Greg!

• Like 2

I think there was some discussion about bringing Greg back to create a 3-man booth as a price for Tom to pay for owning Las Vegas.  Which is still hypocritical to call a game & be an NFL owner in any way.  Which also, for me, would not be surprising if someone made an exemption.  Rules are overrated, but if you're Hill, or someone else, it doesn't mean one should disobey rules & laws on the end.  TBH, I don't think I could care less if the league has no issue with it, but Greg's return this year would be something I'd love to see.

Speaking of Tyreek, to add to the comments over from mojoween, that is messed up there.  Two things can be true, however.  Or 3 things in this case.  The guy is not a great human being period.  That arrest is a bad look.  Finally?  I'm sorry, but upon seeing that and before it, I have no sympathy for him.  A total waste of time to feel sorry there

No big deal in New Orleans.  The Saints can bagel Carolina about 38-0, and I can still see Dennis Allen getting fired before Dave Canales.  Though the latter gets an early Christmas gift in the form of a pink slip, prior to Turkey Day.

Best shot at getting a win because that's not happening for the 2009 champions in any of their next five games

(edited)

Bills are a lot worse than I thought they’d  be with losing so many players. Cardinals and Kyler looking really good so far.

How is it possible for the Panthers to look worse this year? Yikes.

Edited by twoods

Any quarterback.  Well not you Deshaun.  But I will literally take any quarterback on any roster if it meant Daniel Jones would live his life peacefully anywhere other than East Rutherford, New Jersey.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kip Hackman said:

Panthers down 17-0, and the first quarter isn't even over yet. FML. 

Bryce may not have a turn around.  I thought he might do better, but granted even tho it's the first game, he's still looking horrible overwhelmed for the NFL.

Welcome to the Deshaun Hall of Lame, Dak.  For not doing anything to earn that contract.

• Like 2
(edited)

If I was a Cinci fan, I'd be calling for Zach's head.  Every dang season, they're never prepared to start the first few game.

Tho I'm happy for Mayo & Brisset.

Edited by roamyn
(edited)

Curt Menafee said we were going to Chicago with Adam Amin and Mark Sanchez and suddenly we are in Atlanta with Joe Davis and Greg Olsen  and that should be the a-team dammit.

16 teams are going to be 0-1 after tomorrow and none of them are worse than the Giants, not even Carolina.

Edited by mojoween

I was pleasantly surprised by the Pats today. Not that I was expecting much. Defense looked pretty good.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Any quarterback.  Well not you Deshaun.  But I will literally take any quarterback on any roster if it meant Daniel Jones would live his life peacefully anywhere other than East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Maybe Tom Brady will come out of retirement for you. 😄😄😄

• LOL 3

Ew gross no!  Anything (except Deshaun) than that!

Ok I swear this is the last complaint because I obviously cannot change the situation, but Brady does not have an announcer’s voice.  It’s not pleasant.

• Like 2

Both big games are 7-3 with the "favored" home team trailing.  And simultaneously, both defenses on the field at the time (Cleveland & Vegas) got the offense (Dallas & LA) off the field on 3rd down

Brady has time to get better, but boy is he awkward.  Great commentators have dynamic personalities - love them or hate them, guys like Romo, Collingsworth, and Peyton have it.  Brady doesn't seem to have that.

Of course, the better question is why Fox decided to pay him hundreds of millions of dollars when no one is tuning in to watch because they really want to hear the commentator.  Maybe John Madden could have brought in people who were on the fence, but the NFL is so popular it doesn't need the boost.

• Like 5

The thing with Brady is that he's not saying anything interesting. Even Romo says something interesting once in a while, even if it's dumb.

Vikings off to a good start! 3 preseason wins and now an opening day win.

I want Dallas to do well enough to get me points for my fantasy team. I can't believe they considered kicking a 71-yard field goal.

Meanwhile, Bill Belichick is on YouTube chatting with Matt Patricia for hour long episodes and it’s wonderful.  Must watch for football nerds. Fun segment was when they gave Belichick a pack of old football cards and the names sparked stories and memories. 
Apparently John Gruden is doing a YouTube series too. 

6 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Panthers down 17-0, and the first quarter isn't even over yet. FML. 

Every year I invite my parents over for the first Panthers game of the season and we all cook food and eat, etc… They were about 15 minutes late and in that time period the Saints had scored a touchdown and Bryce’s first throw was a pick. We knew it was all down hill from there. What a shit show. 
When does hockey season start? 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I’m still scratching my head. Who thought it was okay to give that much guaranteed money to a QB with that much baggage who isn’t very good?

Was Brady that bad?

• LOL 7

I have not seen highlights of all the games played today, but in those I've seen none of them had a field as crappy as what the Packers and Eagles played on in Brazil.  The NFL spent millions and millions to hold a game there and the teams had to play on a cow pasture.  

Best thing I saw Week One thus far: Rebecca Andrade's red coat.  I'd love to have that.  But would it look as good without all those Olympic medals as accessories?