Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Brady's finest hour.

The Superbowl win vs. the Rams* was Belichick's finest hour.

I swear that New Orleans fans cherish that Super Bowl vs. the Falcons more than Pats fans. They love to hold that against their rivals.

*The second one, I realize I have to specify.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Does anyone else, randomly and out of nowhere, just get furious with Atlanta for 28-3?

Not really.  Probably because I was living in Georgia at the time and I would have had to endure insufferable Falcons fans. 

@mojoween, we Giants fans have our four SB wins, two against Brady/Belichick, one that spoiled their perfect season and messed with their heads forever.  Ain't no one ever gonna take that away.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

One of the things that's rather vexatious is the fact that Brady has been great but when I'd be okay with him doing that to Baltimore, the exact opposite happens. 

Speaking of which, I'll never forget saying that Tom, New England, and Belichick are going to win another 3 super bowls one second after Flacco beat all odds against Denver in that then instant classic during Manning's first season there.  No big connection; just a statistic.  The team that say no thanks to Bill around their move from Cleveland won in 2000 and then the rest was history.

One thing I'll say is that Atlanta was not 100%, though Gronk wasn't even active.  I think after the end of that 3rd quarter or soon after the start of the 4th quarter, I knew that Altanta was not going to win the game.  That early pick six deep in the Falcons territory was a mistake.  Other than a 14-point swing, the defense is back on the field with no break.  Something that hardly gets mentioned.

Super Bowl 53 was great.  Everyone in Pittsburgh, well, definitively speaking...nobody was upset about that win.  Pittsburgh no longer had the outright lead for the titles, but that wasn't something new when San Francisco and Dallas were winning in the 80s and 90s.  Now it looks like that'll be a case of the same & maybe looking up, including New England if Bill stays and they get Maye or possibly Caleb.

Speaking of Pittsburgh & New England (two six time champions that played each other 16 days ago), where I already predicted today's game against Cincinnati (losing big to the Bengals), I see Buffalo's attempt to match the Pats toward winning a division title every year in the decade continuing after they crush Los Angeles.  You have to have Peacock in order to see it though!

Finally, to be fair to Bill, and IMO, Tom was the top guy toward that dynasty, but it doesn't take away the fact that Belichick was a true mastermind against the best Super Bowl of all time.  IDC what Dallas did later on in the decade; no one can put a better masterplan against the then AFC Champions than what occurred on that day

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Does anyone else, randomly and out of nowhere, just get furious with Atlanta for 28-3?

I swear, sometimes that pisses me off more than Super Bowl XXXV, the botched kick in San Francisco and the boat trip.

At first, I wasn't that furious about that game because I was shocked about the comeback. But the more I think about it, the more angry I get. I actually wanted the Falcons to win that game because I like to see teams get their first taste of Super Bowl glory. Sadly, the Falcons choked that game away & they have been dead to me since. Now, I hate the Falcons as much as I hate the Cowboys. BTW, I find the Chargers & those sorry sucky scummy Rams absolutely vile & in the same category as the Falcons & Cowboys. 

I also randomly & out of nowhere get absolutely infuriated at Russell Wilson for throwing that INT at the 1 yard line with the Super Bowl on the line. Everytime I think about it, it angers me deeply. I still haven't forgiven him for that & I'll probably will never ever forgive him for that. 

Edited by Magog
  • Fire 1

It probably will not matter in Cincinnati's Week 18 game.

I did not expect this outcome. At. All.  However, maybe I'd pump the brakes on labelling "Offensive Genius" as epic and pure gold.  To where they can turn nobody into pure gold.  Yes, backup QBs are good with an offensive coach whereas they'd be the opposite with a defensive coach.

However, the talk not too long ago was that teams need a QB or else.  Backup quarterbacks are backups for a reason.  This was never going to be sustainable.  Probably defends Minnesota's decision to boot Jake.  Speaking of Minnesota, their situation isn't looking great with their QB right now.  As for New York, we'll see.  Looks like that story is over as well.  Sure didn't go well in New Orleans.

Now I don't think this will take place with Mason next week at Lumen.  People will say they now have film on Mason.  Whatever.  There's been film on Rudolph since 2019.  Probably giving him a shot without Ben helped.  The best QB on the roster, but it might help Pittsburgh down the road when necessary, or someone else after the season ends.

Bills will win BIG BTW, I think.  Imagine if I'm wrong there!

Cris Collinsworth says back up QBs are fat because they don't get any reps in practice. At least once a game he is saying something stupid at best and offensive at worst.  

5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

George Pickens was not started in my fantasy league, that's how unexpected this performance was.

His performance did a lot towards Steeler Nation saying OK you can stay.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Magog said:

I also randomly & out of nowhere get absolutely infuriated at Russell Wilson for throwing that INT at the 1 yard line with the Super Bowl on the line. Everytime I think about it, it angers me deeply. I still haven't forgiven him for that & I'll probably will never ever forgive him for that. 

Same.  That was the subject of a Jeopardy! clue recently, and my friend had to pause the recording because I was going so ape shit over the memory of that moment he couldn't hear the next clue.

• Sad 2

Emotional win for Buffalo last week or big win from the Bills tend to lead to the opposite.  That's why people are thinking Dallas will be okay against Miami.  However, the same was said about Philadelphia, except they haven't won in a while.

I think Buffalo might regain control of its own destiny since Miami still has a date with Baltimore prior to a big AFC East game that might end up being the SNF Game on 01/07/2023 (Game 272 I believe).  Feel like a total loser thinking the Bills would cover that 12.5.  It's too many points they say, but sometimes people that are favored double that total in their rout of another team.

As much as it'll be sad when things start winding down, I think I'll be okay with it

4 hours ago, Carey said:

However, the talk not too long ago was that teams need a QB or else.  Backup quarterbacks are backups for a reason.  This was never going to be sustainable.  Probably defends Minnesota's decision to boot Jake.  Speaking of Minnesota, their situation isn't looking great with their QB right now.  As for New York, we'll see.  Looks like that story is over as well.  Sure didn't go well in New Orleans.

One bad game doesn't make or break a career.  But in the case of the Bungles it probably broke their season.  They're 0-5 in the division with only the Browns left in Wk 18. 

Rudolph did well, but I see him.as less sustainable than Browning.  He's always been up & down.

So far, fingers crossed, Flacco seems to be working out as a backup, but he's got the benefit of years of experience as a starter.  However, if the Browns push him to 40+ throws tomorrow,  that could make Thursday against the Jets a tough game for them.  No matter what, he's still 38.

The stadium playing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” was a cheap laugh, and I laughed anyways.

I re-upped Peacock just so I could watch last night’s game, so now I have to pay for at least a month…and I fell asleep before the first quarter was over.

I know I am “old woman yelling at clouds” about this, but the NFL on network TV is perfect (for me).  I have a TV in the bedroom, a TV in the living room, and that’s all I need.  No searching for the game on one of a jillion apps on the PS4 or needing to carry the tablet around.  Also, I already pay for cable and get NBC there.  I shouldn’t have to pay again for a NBC product.

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The stadium playing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” was a cheap laugh, and I laughed anyways.

Mason didn't seem amused.  How many times did he hear that moniker growing up?

I'm thinking if the cowboys beat the dolphins. The Bills game against them will go to primetime? It's weird that it still says TBA. I'm not sure if they are waiting to see the outcome of this week. As I'd imagine they'd have to to decide when the game is more then a week out. But who knows...

54 minutes ago, blueray said:

I'm thinking if the cowboys beat the dolphins.

Its not going to happen & we're hoping that its not going to happen. Jerry Jones was very very sad all week because of that ass whopping the Bills gave them. I need a similar result from the Dolphins today. 

11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Giants/Eagles last game says TBA too.  Sounds like depending on playoff scenarios the schedule will be made for maximum drama.

Well, hopefully there won't be any "maximum drama" from that game on week 18 (😒). I don't need (because of the Eagles being inept lately) the wretched NFC East having to being decided in week 18. Besides, it will really irritate me if that happens & it also doesn't help that I don't like anything "maximum drama."

17 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Cris Collinsworth says back up QBs are fat because they don't get any reps in practice. At least once a game he is saying something stupid at best and offensive at worst.  

This is very stupid - backup QBs get crucial reps in practice every week, since they are that week's opposing QB in practice going against the defense.  That means they have to act as every other QB in the league, perhaps a running QB, or a QB who relies on play action, maybe a QB who is very good at the hard count.  When Aaron Rodgers was backing up Favre, he took his role running the scout team very seriously.  He knew he had to be seen as someone who was a team guy, not only to prepare the defense and in case he had to play in that week's game, but also to develop some chemistry with the WRs, TEs, and RBs for when it was his time to be a starter.  

• Like 3

I have the Cleveland/Houston game on but I’m half-listening, and Ian Eagle keeps mentioning the Browns have no kicker.  Like, none at all? No punter, no placekicker, no kid on the bench who kicked field goals in high school?

Yikes, Seattle kept it interesting.  Thank goodness Tannehill decided to play like a rookie on his final drive.

Now, come on Lions defense!

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know I am “old woman yelling at clouds” about this, but the NFL on network TV is perfect (for me).  I have a TV in the bedroom, a TV in the living room, and that’s all I need.  No searching for the game on one of a jillion apps on the PS4 or needing to carry the tablet around.  Also, I already pay for cable and get NBC there.  I shouldn’t have to pay again for a NBC product.

I have the free version of Peacock, but I'm sure the game was not available on that (it's an old plan, no longer available to new subscribers, and the cost for being free is not only ads, but that not everything on the paid versions is available; it's plenty for me, as there's very little on Peacock I want to watch, mostly just some old cheesy movies).  I also now have access to a friend's paid account because she signed up with some Black Friday deal, and if it was a game I cared about, I'd have bothered to sign in as her and watch, but for that game I wasn't lifting a finger. 

Fundamentally, I'm like you -- I'm already annoyed I have to watch Thursday games via Prime (which I have access to via the same friend's account), so making more games only available via a streaming app pisses me off.  All of my TVs are hooked up to my satellite dish.  One is hooked up to a Fire stick.  Now, yes, I could move the stick around, but that's obnoxious -- when they're on regular TV, I can have the game on throughout the house if I want.  When it's a streaming game, I have to plop myself in front of one TV.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Fundamentally, I'm like you -- I'm already annoyed I have to watch Thursday games via Prime (which I have access to via the same friend's account), so making more games only available via a streaming app pisses me off. 

If you have NFL Network, and you don't feel the need to see the Thursday game immediately, they run the replay of the Prime game later that night.  I usually record it and watch it Friday, even though I have Prime. 

And yes, having games only available via a streaming app stinks.  This is the first year in decades that I haven't had Sunday Ticket, but for the amount of money they charge, it's absurd that streaming games (and NFLN games) are excluded.  They claim they offer every out-of-market game, but they don't.

Ah, the Jets are so very, very Jets. 

Just now, AimingforYoko said:

And congrats to the NFC North Champs.

If they're not careful, they might end up the #1 seed.

Wow - if the Packers defense had choked away this game, DC Joe Barry should not have been allowed on the plane back to Green Bay.  I'm assuming (fervently hoping) he is gone at the end of the season.  The Packers defense is inept in technique and scheme, but to compound the situation, they are totally undisciplined.  Will the Packers go after Jim Leonhard again?  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

If you have NFL Network, and you don't feel the need to see the Thursday game immediately, they run the replay of the Prime game later that night.

I do have NFL Network, but I never watch sports games at a later time -- if I'm not home to watch it live, I don't watch it.

7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

And yes, having games only available via a streaming app stinks.  This is the first year in decades that I haven't had Sunday Ticket, but for the amount of money they charge, it's absurd that streaming games (and NFLN games) are excluded.  They claim they offer every out-of-market game, but they don't.

That was eye opening last season.  My parents had Sunday Ticket nearly 30 years ago when they first signed up with DirecTV (it was free as a promo) and it was what it purported to be -- gave you access to every single game every single weekend, regardless of where you lived.  It wasn't worth paying for after that, as they don't watch much football and back then the Giants games were on TV in the L.A. market a lot since they were a good team, so I wasn't coming over to watch at their house. 

Fast forward to last season, when spending the day at a friend's house with Sunday Ticket, and the afternoon game we wanted to watch wasn't available there, so we missed half of the first quarter while they fussed around with apps and connections trying to find a way to watch it.  How the hell do you charge that kind of dough and no longer provide access to all the games?!

The only games I have interest in watching later are ones I’ve already seen - Giants Super Bowl victories.

And the Thursday game already starts at 8:15 eastern and I don’t usually make it to the end, unless it’s someone I like or is super interesting.  Watching later that night is not an option.

5 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Strange weekend.  I have to root for the Steelers and the Cowboys. I feel unclean.

Yikes.  The only time I will ever root for the Steelers is if they are playing the Cowboys.  And then I will be drinking a lot during the game. 

• LOL 5
57 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Don't you guys hold the tiebreaker?

ETA: I guess you won't if they beat you next week. 

Yeah, they hold their fate in their own hands, but it's a tough end of season:  49ers, Dolphins and Steelers, which shouldn't be a major problem, but they always are.

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have the Cleveland/Houston game on but I’m half-listening, and Ian Eagle keeps mentioning the Browns have no kicker.  Like, none at all? No punter, no placekicker, no kid on the bench who kicked field goals in high school?

They had their punter, Boroquez, who hadn't done any place kicking since junior high or something.  They had several other players with a remote history of having kicked sometimes as kids who were 'trying out' on the sidelines during the game.  But, no, they had no one who had any recent experience in place kicking available after Hopkins went down.  Instead, they went for it on fourth down a couple times and went for 2 instead of kicking for an extra point.  It worked out today, but they're obviously going to be scrambling if Hopkins isn't able to go on Thursday.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 1

Taylor Swift is at the Chiefs game today. Yay. 😒

I'm watching the Raiders - Chiefs on Nickelodeon right now & once again, its more enjoyable than the CBS Broadcast. As a bonus, there is no Tony Romo to deal with.

• LOL 2