Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The state of Quarterbacking today. Here is my list of teams which are actually happy with their quarterbacking situation:

Chiefs
Bengals
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Eagles
Bills
Jacksonville
Maybe Houston
Weirdly Seattle
Happy for now: Cowboys, Lions. And Vikings until Cousins got hurt. Maybe not for the long term.
SF is debatable.
And I think that's it. Everywhere else is hopium or copium. That's more than half the league in that particular boat.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The state of Quarterbacking today. Here is my list of teams which are actually happy with their quarterbacking situation:

Chiefs
Bengals
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Eagles
Bills
Jacksonville
Maybe Houston
Weirdly Seattle
Happy for now: Cowboys, Lions. And Vikings until Cousins got hurt. Maybe not for the long term.
SF is debatable.
And I think that's it. Everywhere else is hopium or copium. That's more than half the league in that particular boat.

You left out Pittsburgh.  I'm not saying that QB is on the level of KC, Cincy, Bolts, Miami, Baltimore, Philly, Georgia South, or Buffalo.  Basically Pittsburgh could have the worst player or coach at the spot, and spin it as if there's a chance of success

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The officials did everything they could to give the game to the Cowboys but fuuuuuuuuuuck Dallas.

Man they can't make it easy or not stressful but great win by the Eagles. 

Brandon Graham and Josh Sweat.... I love you. Great sacks in critical times.

• Like 3

The safest bet in the NFL remains picking the team that just fired its coach to win its next game. It doesn't matter if the interim coach turns out to be awful and the team goes back to its losing ways thereafter, the team always wins that first next game. My Raiders were on the receiving end of that last season with the Colts playing under Jeff Saturday (LOL), so the pendulum swings back. But I think they would have beat the hapless Giants anyway, so I kind of wish Davis had saved the McDaniels firing for a different week when the Raiders were set to play a better team. Then again, it's better that the Raiders be able to draft as high as they can...

Hopefully your Raiders will not follow the entire script from that Saturday era.  Which means you'll draft pretty high but Pierce seems like a great leader ready to turn things around for at least a year.

Speaking of the Colts, after apologizing to DrSpaceman73 for "doubting" Indianapolis, I do have to say how disappointed I am with Reich.  How are you not better prepared to at least avenge such a bad ouster from a year ago.  Yes, Carolina does not have much, but they had enough to defeat Houston with features what might be the OROY.  Any given Sunday, I guess.

Finally, I had a big grin on my face when McDaniels got livid after Antonio brought up 2007.  That was awesome!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Pointing?  POINTING?!? Pointing.  Jesus Christ.

That's a really soft penalty. It didn't even register that he did anything that could be considered taunting. No Fun League indeed.

• Applause 2
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Pointing?  POINTING?!? Pointing.  Jesus Christ.

Yeah so stupid. 

I thought flashing a peace sign was bad. Pointing!!  Come on. 

Not that it matters just longer extra point

Well the colts won but didn't go anything like I expected. 

Offense struggled which I think was due to Josh downs being out, a big 3rd down wr target and the d carried the day. The pass d in particular which has sucked for 3 weeks

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

CJ mf Stroud! Set the all time rookie passing record today. Insane game. 

My SOBs (Same Old Bucs) did what they usually do when playing a team with a rookie QB, and that is to suck so bad that they help make that QB look fantastic!  Not to take credit away from Stroud, but c'mon man!  Buc's defense should've stepped up.  Another game the Bucs could've won gone down the crapper.

The Bucs usually lay an egg on MNF too, so facing a rookie QB and playing on Primetime TV is a jinx for my team!

52 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The safest bet in the NFL remains picking the team that just fired its coach to win its next game. It doesn't matter if the interim coach turns out to be awful and the team goes back to its losing ways thereafter, the team always wins that first next game. My Raiders were on the receiving end of that last season with the Colts playing under Jeff Saturday (LOL), so the pendulum swings back. But I think they would have beat the hapless Giants anyway, so I kind of wish Davis had saved the McDaniels firing for a different week when the Raiders were set to play a better team. Then again, it's better that the Raiders be able to draft as high as they can...

Sssah..... Don't tell the players that! ☠️

48 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The pass d in particular which has sucked for 3 weeks

Yeah, but they weren't playing the Panthers those three weeks. 

We've cured a lot of defenses this year. 

Texans have 9 sacks all season- 6 against Carolina. 

Edited by Kip Hackman

Man, the Bills are horrible.

As mentioned, a totally pathetic penalty against Allen.  While the night will end with Cincinnati crushing the AFC East Champions, I hardly think the league would want one of its star players not being available due to a DQ over taunting.  

The officials can get away with that in the NBA (more often than not); but I guess it was surprising since worse has happened but was never called

3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Chiefs
Bengals
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Eagles
Bills
Jacksonville
Maybe Houston
Weirdly Seattle
SF is debatable.

Not only that  you look at all those teams happy at qb theyre all under 30....the exceptions being geno and dak if you're including them.

I'd throw in Cleveland with Watson if he's healthy but im.not sure he is. 

Derek carr in New Orleans?  

Rodgers is still lingering out there but even if healthy he's not a qb of the future he's 1-2 years for a sb chance. 

Combine that with a qb class that may actually be better than the 83 class and we are looking at a future where when rodgers retires of almost all under 30 qbs except for dak and geno Smith

There's at least four qbs who would likely be starting now if in the nfl 

Bo nix

Penix

Maye

Caleb williams

Throw in Quinn ewers amd Riley Leonard as likely on the right team. 

Cousins has one more year of dead cap hit that's big but they're drafting a qb given given the chance. 

23 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'd throw in Cleveland with Watson if he's healthy but im.not sure he is.

I don't know that I'd include Cleveland.   There seems to be drama with Watson every week.

And I'd change Houston from 'maybe' to definitely happy with their QB.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, twoods said:

Ugh time to turn this shitshow off. Doubt the Bills will get a WC with this team. 

Well, they probably will not based on their position & the members of their division.  I guess New York is the team for that division, but other than that, I don't see anyone (else) passing Buffalo for the title

Reading the article about Damar Hamlin naming 10 scholarships after the Cincinnati medical staff that saved his life brought tears to my eyes. It’s not often that these doctors and nurses get recognition for the hard work that they do, and it’s wonderful how Hamlin continues to give back to Cincinnati.

• Like 3
  • Love 9

It has been a flat out terrible last 7 days for Jerry Jones & his Cowboys. First, the Texas Rangers finally win a championship & he feels envious & downright salty about it. Then, the Rangers throw a victory parade & it made Jerry even more jealous & salty. And now his Cowboys was yards short of a touchdown to win the game & end up losing to the Eagles 28-23. Jerry Jones downright sadness & the Cowboys failure right now is bringing me absolute joy. Its like Christmas has come early.

Hopefully, this result will put an end to this nonsense about who's going to win the NFC East talk every week & the Cowboys being Super Bowl contenders (as if). 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
21 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Teams play:

Their own division teams twice (For Buffalo: NYJ, NE, MIA)

A different AFC division in rotation, this year AFC East plays AFC West 

An NFC division in rotation, this year AFC East plays NFC East

For the remaining two AFC divisions not yet accounted for, the corresponding teams in terms of placement last season. Buffalo, having won the 2022 AFC East, plays the winners of of AFC Central and AFC South. So that explains the Cincinnati game and adds the Jaguars.

And now since they added a 17th game, that's just an NFC Team that corresponds with team placements somehow.

Source: NFL.com

I don't know how they choose where to play in the case of games vs. teams outside of division. I assume there's some sort of leaguewide rotation, but it probably looks random unless you delve into all of the history. Bills vs. Bengals game history.

Just looking at my team's division (AFCN), the placement games (where you play the team that placed the same as yours last year): All AFCN teams play their AFCE placement team at home and their AFCW placement team away.

They all also play their NFCN placement games at home, whereas, last year, they all played their NFCE placement games away.

There is a pattern in place.  It's not random who they play and where... just when.

• Useful 1

Yep. There's no need for Sunday Night Football to take place on November 12. It's a win for Las Vegas. The only reason why it's happening (besides the lack of a flex) is money. The storyline of New York leaving Allegiant with a win there is just silly.

Nice try, but no reason for Vegas to play a game that'll be a win.  Why risk injury after all the adversity that took place a week ago.   Instead, just like the old days, wrap up Sunday football with a very lovely football game starting the Giants and Cowboys followed by 60 Minutes (after changing to the other network of course)

8 minutes ago, Carey said:

Yep. There's no need for Sunday Night Football to take place on November 12. It's a win for Las Vegas. The only reason why it's happening (besides the lack of a flex) is money. The storyline of New York leaving Allegiant with a win there is just silly.

Nice try, but no reason for Vegas to play a game that'll be a win.  Why risk injury after all the adversity that took place a week ago.   Instead, just like the old days, wrap up Sunday football with a very lovely football game starting the Giants and Cowboys followed by 60 Minutes (after changing to the other network of course)

STOP JINXING MY TEAM!!!!!! 😂

• LOL 5

You never know when it comes to the Jets.  Or really anyone in the NFL.  That's a big reason related to why the worst NFL team would crush the best Collegiate football team.

I figured a close loss or win for New York at home.  Similar to a do or die case for Dallas, also on Monday and featuring the Chargers, the latter needed to win in order to save its HC.

Furthermore, the Jets gave Philadelphia its only loss.  Though at the time, the Eagles were not playing that great.  Sometimes losing helps solve one's issues.

But yeah, twoods.  That defense for New York will have success against that new QB.  At least they should.  The offense for the Jets might struggle enough to where it wouldn't matter.  Short week, on the road, with Pierce running the show.  That could be disaster.  However, not that I'm saying the NFL is scripted (it's not though the jokes been made in the past), but the more people go with Vegas (sorry for the pun), the better for the Jets

On 11/5/2023 at 5:13 PM, Carey said:

They stay healthy, they're the NFL favorites.

They still have San Francisco, and we'll see how they adjust during their bye week.  If all goes well & they torment the Niners on the way toward another win, then they're winning the Super Bowl.

Cannot wait for Ravens/Bengals one week from Thursday.  Cincinnati has won the division twice in as many wins.  However, the AFC North champions have benefitted in a huge way with the 2 time World Champions dealing with injury, including Jackson

Have the Ravens played Philadelphia this season? I think Eagles are better than 49ers.

On 11/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, Fukui San said:

Chiefs
Bengals
Chargers
Dolphins
Ravens
Eagles
Bills
Jacksonville
Maybe Houston
Weirdly Seattle
SF is debatable.

O'Donnell wants to keep Cousins as quarterback--he really likes him. I guess it depends on $$ and if Cousins can perform with a healed Achilles. I'd like for Kirk to come back. Maybe have him come back and draft a quarterback. I'd like to see Hall play some more, maybe we wouldn't need a new quarterback. Or we could keep Dobbs. 

7 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Have the Ravens played Philadelphia this season? I think Eagles are better than 49ers.

No.  Baltimore is not scheduled to play the Eagles this year.  They'll host them next season however.  The only way the Ravens and Philadelphia play each other is if they get to the Super Bowl, and in both cases, it is currently more probable than not.

As far as Philly is compared to San Francisco?  Right now they're better.  Despite the structure of the schedule, the NFC West is getting the tough AFC North, while the NFC East gets the sorta easy & kinda overrated AFC East.  Unfortunately for the Niners, they've lost one-too many games to where a win at Lincoln Financial Field still will not give them homefield.  They'll need help, assuming they beat Philly, which I will not predict as reality right now.

The good news is that Philadelphia still has a game at Arrowhead, but the bad news is that the 49ers still have Baltimore to deal with later on in the year

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

O'Donnell wants to keep Cousins as quarterback--he really likes him. I guess it depends on $$ and if Cousins can perform with a healed Achilles. I'd like for Kirk to come back. Maybe have him come back and draft a quarterback. I'd like to see Hall play some more, maybe we wouldn't need a new quarterback. Or we could keep Dobbs. 

Shanahan has always drooled over Cousins. If the Niners don't get a SB win this year, I expect Shanahan to demote Purdy and bring in Cousins.

To be fair, the entire AFC North played at home, but in all fairness, that's sad for the AFC East.  Two of those teams were playing at home, and one of those teams avoided a date at Arrowhead.  At least the Bills have an excuse.

Speaking of the AFC North, as mentioned, if the season were to end today, all 4 of those teams would get into the postseason.  That's probably not going to happen.  Los Angeles won so they should be okay.  There is optimism; as mentioned, Buffalo & Miami are not as epic as earlier.  However, can't rule out Houston & even Indianapolis, especially the former.

FWIW, 2022 was the closest we came to having every team within its division make the playoffs.  Of course, to the shock of nobody, it was the NFC East

• Like 1

Normally I hate the clickbait headlines social media managers put into push alerts, but the one I just saw is making me revisit that -

“Seven-year NFL vet Blake Martinez joins Panthers practice squad; unretired this year after Pokémon card scam allegations”

• LOL 1

No flex for Week 11's Sunday Night Football.  FYI, the 11/19 game features the Vikings & the Broncos.  I think the only candidate would've been Browns hosting Steelers.  So TBH, I'm sorta glad they left that game alone.  Despite both teams being in the hunt (currently in but they're both still borderline along with currently out teams like Houston & Los Angeles), nobody wants to see boring, blah offense, and the league probably isn't ready to put Watson on primetime.  Sure they already played at night, but flexing them in before Week 18 might be something they'd want to avoid right now.

As a result, I think I'll be able to enjoy a free night doing something else (or getting some rest).  So Thursday you'll get Bears/Carolina (hard pass), Sunday it's Jets/Raiders (soft pass), and Monday it's Buffalo hosting Denver (we'll see).  One week from Thursday is Ravens hosting Cincy.  So to validate my luck, Baltimore and bad luck will mix against a team like Cleveland.

Anyway, no games have been flexed right now.  Hopefully they don't make moves to flex games for the sake of flexing games. In other words, doing so because they haven't done it yet.  What'll happen are people getting flexed to Thursday & Monday, but not Sunday night.  Not holding my breath, but man! It's basically vexatious that we went from 1 Thursday of football to the full year within a period South of a decade

The only storyline here is that Chicago has a chance to improve their second first round pick (the one they earned in exchange for Carolina obtaining Bryce Young).  Or the Panthers can do whatever it takes to make sure the Bears don't profit, but I don't think they'll have much success

At the end of the day, the fact is TNF featuring the Chicago Bears & the Carolina Panthers will be the most watched program.  That's what typically happens

I'll go with the Bears for the win tonight, and no way the over hits.

It's not a good game at all, and that's definitely the case on paper.  However, to be fair, that's on paper; sometimes the worst games end up actually being okay at least.  Like 17-13 or whatever.  Whereas the best games like Cowboys and Giants end up being the worse than the worst.  Replace New York with San Francisco and you're current.

Anyway, I don't see tonight being one of those days where a crap ass game is the opposite.  So I'll go with Chicago winning 4-0.  Short week, and Carolina has to travel with people that make up a football team.

Sure you never know, but nothing these teams did in the offseason warranted them being on Thursday this year.  This would've been better off buried on Sunday afternoon with Jacksonville & San Francisco playing on Prime instead

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Johannah said:

two safeties?

No.  Just a touchdown.  Carolina is so awful that Chicago is giving them a head start, beginning the game with a score of negative 2 to nothing

• LOL 5