Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Ok, so can we just have glimpses of Taylor, and not Brittany, who is seemingly glomming onto that ride for all that she is worth?  I could go the rest of my life without seeing their secret handshake.

And honestly that goes for Merianne Do as well.  A little bit goes a loooooooong way, networks.

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Taylor Swift is not only worth a fortune to the TV networks in extra viewers, she is also apparently a key contributor to the Chiefs success. They're 4-0 with her in attendance, are scoring like a TD more per game, and Kelce himself does more than twice as well.

image.png.0a21fe22a5e1b596a6e232ae558fe5db.png

I love how sad Kelce looks on the screen next to good stats. 🤣

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Taylor Swift is not only worth a fortune to the TV networks in extra viewers, she is also apparently a key contributor to the Chiefs success. They're 4-0 with her in attendance, are scoring like a TD more per game, and Kelce himself does more than twice as well.

I'll agree with the part on how she's worth a boatload to the TV networks.  Love her or hate her, I cannot get behind a movement to cut down or cut out her appearances.  That makes zero sense.  If she turned out to be a vile human being, then they'd stop showing her.  There's nothing that trends toward that level right now.

Now, I'm not getting any of that money, so I couldn't care less about what TPTB collects in terms of revenue, but no way will I sign a petition saying, "Please stop showing Taylor Swift during football games thank you!"

As far as Kelce's production, that I think I'll agree to disagree there.  Those stats are facts.  However, it is coincidental.  Travis goes into Canton in 2028 had he retired after his second title.  The man was pretty good before Patrick got there.  BTW, that alone is a key point why people would rank him over Gronk.

I'll also disagree about that statement saying Swift is the reason the NFL is epic.  Before Taylor was born, the biggest three teams in terms of accomplishments on a collective level combined for nine super bowl titles.  Those 3 teams did pretty well without her.

Nonetheless, no reason to stop the Swiftgate.  I actually enjoyed seeing her yesterday bigtime, and for the first time

Two things can be simultaneously true:

1. The networks and league would be nuts not to play up Taylor Swift's attendance

2. I hate with every fiber of my being whoever came up with that "You belong with TE" graphic

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Now, I'm not getting any of that money, so I couldn't care less about what TPTB collects in terms of revenue, but no way will I sign a petition saying, "Please stop showing Taylor Swift during football games thank you!"

Well, I've got my pen ready.

• LOL 1

Too bad Justin Jefferson is hurt. Cousins could throw him a long ball -- holy cow! Addison just scored on a long ball! Just 7 seconds left in the half!

So far Vikings haven't been embarrassing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I kind of feel like the Vikings are getting favored with these penalties, but that's OK.

Mattison used to be able jump over guys when he ran with the ball. I haven't seen him do that lately.

No matter who wins or loses, this has been a super game to watch. I was getting so I couldn't stand the suspense and was going to go to bed, then we got the interception. 

Three minutes and it's 4th quarter this time.

• Like 1

Basically the tables have turned on San Francisco (fuck Cleveland).  Forget how they look like a team that'll crumble after a physical game, they have to play on Sunday against another team from Ohio coming off of a bye.  It's getting to the point where a win against the Eagles might be moot.  Especially if they the A+ version of Baltimore during the holiday (if so, Philadelphia losing at Arrowhead might not matter)

Good win for Minnesota.  Probably not many saw that given Kirk At Night.

Big win since the opposite will be happening during the NFC North / AFC North matchup later this season.  More important, that's a conference win that might favor the Vikings this time around, since there's not going to be a New York team that'll ruin everything

9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Or until he dumps her.  

Not that I give a damn either way.

The contract between the two of them would prohibit him from ending the fake relationship.  It would hurt her brand to be broken up with, and that is an absolute nonstarter.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1

I don’t think it would hurt her at all because she is literally an economy. The Swifties won’t bat an eye and will still love her regardless of what she does. Now Chiefs fans may blame her if they start losing after they break up. 

Surprising win for the Vikings without Jefferson. I’m glad that Jordan Addison got to shine on prime time because he was very good at USC.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, twoods said:

Purdy doesn’t look that good without Deebo, or maybe defenses have figured him out.

It's not that I'm rooting against Purdy but I really hated how the media talked about him as if he was the next Tom Brady.

14 hours ago, Carey said:

I'll also disagree about that statement saying Swift is the reason the NFL is epic.

Seriously?  Someone said this?  First of all the NFL was doing fine before Taylor and they will be doing well after Taylor.  And second, Swifties might be paying attention to the Chiefs but are they watching any other games?  And when she leaves for her world tour are they going to continue to watch the Chiefs?

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The yearly Harbaugh to the nfl rumors have started. 

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2023/10/21/jim-harbaugh-bears-rumors/

If they ever really ended

Well, assuming the rumors are true and Michigan is heading for a major scandal and penalties for sign-stealing; Jimbo is probably not long for the job there.  The NCAA already has his number, and the self-suspension last season was probably not enough to stop them from coming after him specifically if the allegations are true (and they seem to be).

42 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Seriously?  Someone said this?  First of all the NFL was doing fine before Taylor and they will be doing well after Taylor.  And second, Swifties might be paying attention to the Chiefs but are they watching any other games?  And when she leaves for her world tour are they going to continue to watch the Chiefs?

Exactly.

• If somebody said that, they did not understand that the NFL is BY FAR the biggest thing on TV
    • However, the difference between 20 million viewers normally, and 27 million on a Swift attended Sunday night game is INSANE
    • So maybe she helps it be more epic?
  • No! The Swifties are not watching any other games, although the NFL is such a great sport that it's possible that if this goes on for a while, it might create a few more football fans. 
    • I saw a super fun reel on Instagram where it was "I ask my girlfriend to identify NFL Teams by their logo. The young woman got Patriots right, but the city very wrong. She called the Rams something like the swooshes, and go another one not even remotely close.
    • Then they showed the Chiefs logo and she immediately said, "Oh, that's Taylor Swift's team, the Kansas City Chiefs.  So I think that answers the question if they're interested in any other NFL games.
  • And, no, when Swift heads off to South America next month, it is unlikely that any Chiefs games will have a significant bump in ratings.

And all of that is why I've made peace with "When she is at the game, it would be criminal negligence not to put her on TV." 

I seriously can't dedicate even 0.0001% of a feeling to be annoyed that TV coverage of a three hour football game spends at most three or four minutes showing the extraordinarily popular pop star a few times.

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I saw a super fun reel on Instagram where it was "I ask my girlfriend to identify NFL Teams by their logo. The young woman got Patriots right, but the city very wrong. She called the Rams something like the swooshes, and go another one not even remotely close.

Now this is what annoys me.  The continued belief women don't know football.  Now yes there are women who don't but there are plenty of men who don't.  I work with only men and at one point two of the five men I worked with didn't know football.  When my husband was alive and if we were out and the subject of football came up my husband would point to me and say talk to her she knows more than me. 

10 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

And all of that is why I've made peace with "When she is at the game, it would be criminal negligence not to put her on TV." 

I can live with the camera panning to her.  As long as they don't show Jackson Mahomes. 

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Now this is what annoys me.  The continued belief women don't know football.  Now yes there are women who don't but there are plenty of men who don't.

For sure! It could have just as easily been a man who was only now aware of the Kansas City Chiefs. (But it does seem like this particular spike of interest in that  specific NFL team is mostly young women.)

We shared a fun video here back in the summer that was put out by the Titans as part of their schedule announcement on social media. They did the same thing with team logos to random people wandering around that main street in Nashville. It was both men and women who were unable to identify the team logos. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm used to the showing of celebrities and find it mildly amusing sometimes (Hey, Joan Jett is a huge life-long Orioles fan!  Who knew?) to see who is in the crowd.  And it's educational!  I just knew Swift was a popular pop star and now I know what she looks like.  I get her and a few others, like whomever sings the SNF intro, mixed up.  Not that I know anything any of them sings.  I'm old.  Joan Jett old.

But like bluegirl147, it is annoying that people think women don't know or watch football or that Swift is bringing women/girls to watch it.  Maybe more females, but there have been a lot of female football fans for years.  Just look at the crowds at the games.  My girlfriends and I even have a fantasy football league.

• Like 6

In non-Swift news, this was a really interesting week. A lot of teams that were previously anointed "Could be the best team in the NFL" sure as heck didn't look like that.  I think Detroit gets a bit of a pass from me, as playing Llamar Jackson and the Ravens is almost always really challenging for NFC teams. I think there's a really telling stat about it, where the Jackson led Ravens almost always beat NFC opponents. 

I don't think we can give a pass to the Bills, Dolphins, or 49ers. (Although Miami had a tough battle against the officials in their game.)  All three of them backed up shaky games with a loss.  

Then there is Philadelphia who bounced back with a good win, and Kansas City practically clinching the AFC West before Halloween.

Everybody else just sort of the the middle of the pack. It's like a battle for who can stay the healthiest and have things bounce their way. 

29 minutes ago, Johannah said:

But like bluegirl147, it is annoying that people think women don't know or watch football or that Swift is bringing women/girls to watch it.  Maybe more females, but there have been a lot of female football fans for years. 

This quote below about the impact to the ratings for the Amazon game a couple weeks ago clearly demonstrates what you're saying.

A third (32%) of the typical viewing audience is female. It's significant, and nobody who understands the business side of the NFL would ever discount that women are a huge part of the fan base.

Perhaps most telling is the female viewership for the game, which saw an increase similar to what NBC experienced when the network broadcast the Chiefs-Jets game (which Swift also attended). The Broncos-Chiefs game averaged a female audience of 4.92M, which is an increase of +15% over the average female viewership of TNF’s first four games this season.

Female viewership made up 36% of the total audience, compared to about 32% across the previous four games.

In the 18-24 demographic, female viewership soared 29% to 303,000 (up from 234,000 across the last four TNF telecasts). In the 12-17 demo, female viewership was up 19% to 120,000.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I believe the stat they said this morning is that Lamar Jackson has lost to a team from the NFC 1 (one) time in I can’t remember how many total (10? 18? the memory isn’t what it used to be) games.

16-1 vs the NFC.  I think the blemish was a big deal given the QB on the other team needed to beat him in order to join about a half dozen people in the category of "beating every team in the NFL during the period the guy played in from start to finish"

The Giants beat the Ravens last year 24-20 with Jackson at QB. 

It is fair to say that the Giants coaching staff had plenty of experience with the Ravens, which went a long way. 

Llamar threw an atrocious interception with the Ravens leading 20-17 with three minutes to go, which was the big reason they lost that game. 

• Useful 1

Thank you, JTMacc

I don't know why I thought the Saints game at M&T Bank was much later in 2018, but I knew that the Flacco Era ended mid season after Ravens/Steelers.  I guess I got things mixed up with the refs calling flags in favor of New Orleans during Week 16, only to do the opposite in the NFC Title Game.

Helps to do research, I guess.  Except I kind of did.  Nothing came up at all, gotta do better.  What didn't help is the AFC North plays the NFC East every general election year, so that game was the first in a World Cup year due to the 17th game.

Point is New York did have somewhat of an advantage against Baltimore.  That aside, as mentioned, the NFC (and others) don't see the Ravens a lot, so it is not easy to prepare for that skill

I remember reading somewhere that around 40% of the NFL fans are female, so anyone who thinks that women don’t know anything about the NFL until Taylor came along can suck it. My daughter gets annoyed at school since she knows more about football than some of the guys that are so called “fans” do. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

I sorta already picked tonight's game. You'll see Buffalo falling short on hitting the over on their own. 42-0 will not be enough to go over 43.5. BTW, the Bills are favored by 10, which is way too low

On 10/25/2023 at 8:21 PM, twoods said:

I remember reading somewhere that around 40% of the NFL fans are female, so anyone who thinks that women don’t know anything about the NFL until Taylor came along can suck it. My daughter gets annoyed at school since she knows more about football than some of the guys that are so called “fans” do. 

When I was an undergraduate almost 50 years ago, I used to watch football with other students in the dorm rec room.  The guys' jaws routinely dropped because they didn't expect a girl who could comprehend and discuss football in any terms other than "ooh, he's so cute."

• Like 7

Week 8 Picks: Jacksonville, NY Giants, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Houston, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Detroit

ATS & O/U: Dallas, Cincinnati, Chargers, Detroit.  Plus Houston, Cleveland, and Baltimore.  Only the over hits in the SF/CIN game.

San Francisco being favored is a blessing in disguise.  The second team the Niners face off of a bye is starting its rise.  So if the Bengals lose, IMO, it will not be by much.  Looks like the Browns are great defensively to where they might lose the game but not by much.  Until the refs make their presence known.  Even though I said Tampa would not win this year, they have but the team I thought they would be has started to play out.  Within that division, Carolina might be that team that doesn't win, but this would be huge if they beat Houston.  I don't see it, but it'll help since the team that has their first round pick is hosting them later this season.

Detroit will be fine, but I don't think they need to do much against Vegas.  Finally, Dallas & the Rams probably will both find a way to lose, but I do think before triple zeros hit, a defense TD puts the Cowboys over that 6.5 spread

Jets & Giants play each other today. Yay. 😒

19 minutes ago, Carey said:

Finally, Dallas & the Rams probably will both find a way to lose, but I do think before triple zeros hit, a defense TD puts the Cowboys over that 6.5 spread

😒

Frankly, I wish there was a way both of these sorry, sucky, scummy teams lose. Its basically another root for neither type of game.

Another root for neither type of game today is the Chiefs at Broncos. It snowed in the Denver area yesterday so hopefully there will be snow on the ground and/or its snowing pretty good today. Otherwise, this game will possibly be downright unenjoyable & a probable beatdown. Maybe, Taylor Swift will be at the game today in the suite to bring me even more stomach-turning content.

21 minutes ago, Magog said:

Maybe, Taylor Swift will be at the game today in the suite to bring me even more stomach-turning content.

Taylor is not going to make Chiefs/Broncos.  Though I probably can't blame her; that's worse of a Venue than US Bank Stadium

As for Cowboys/Rams, maybe the game will end in a tie.  So it's not a case where both lose, but a case where neither win either.  I'm okay with LA, but barely.  Either way, it's a "not gonna watch game" for me.  That's for sure!

The NFL Today did a funny segment where they modeled throwback jerseys.  Nate Burleson wearing a throwback Seahawks jersey while flapping his wings like a bird was adorable.

Seeing Phil Simms in a throwback 11 brought a tear to my eye.  And also causes me to make an admission that, 37 years ago next month when I became a rabid Giants fan is because my 13 year old self laid eyes on Phil Simms and said “oh he’s so cute!”

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1

😒 Watching the Jets - Giants (7-3 at halftime) right now is downright torture right now. 

Speaking of torture, I should thank those sorry, sucky, scummy Rams right now for being what they really are today. Getting beaten down by those equally wretched, vile Cowboys 33-9 at halftime. I can't stand those scummy Rams & it still makes me sick to my stomach that they somehow a Super Bowl a couple of years ago. F--- them picks, indeed. What a bunch of losers.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Did Tyrod get injured for the Giants? I see that the backup DeVito is in, but then the Giants scored a TD on a field length drive where every gain was a running play to take the lead.

Yes. Tyrod Taylor is at the hospital right now for a rib injury. If something bad happens to Tommy Devito during the 2nd half, then Saquon Barkley will be up next to quarterback for them.

Edited by Magog

Yes Tyrod came down hard on his stomach and left the game with a rib injury.  And apparently Tommy DeVito has never ever thrown a pass in his life, because the coaches are not allowing him to try.

They showed a shot of the booth and the announcers were standing - Matt Ryan is seven feet tall?!?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

my 13 year old self laid eyes on Phil Simms and said “oh he’s so cute!”

I still think it's a crying shame your parents didn't get you the glasses you so desperately needed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 9