Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The ManningCast is adding a third host.

This is probably just me, but when I first heard that Peyton and Eli were doing the extra broadcast during MNF, I was excited to watch them watch games and give their thoughts on what was happening on the field.  Then I tuned in and for the most part, it…wasn’t.  It was all these extra people promoting their shit and talking about other things with a small sprinkling of on-field action.  Maybe it’s not always like that, but I’m not going to watch and find out, especially with a THIRD person.

• Like 3

Today is the official end of my NFL Summer Vacation. Most of that NFL offseason nonsense & bullcrap is downright migraine-inducing. Here's what I'm hoping for this upcoming season.

The Jets & Aaron Rodgers falling flat on their faces. I will root for them to massively failing like I do when it comes to the Cowboys.

The Chargers finding even more ways to suck. I don't ever want them to get that Super Bowl win. I rather see Trevor Lawrence & the Jaguars get to the Super Bowl & win than those constant choking sucky Chargers. At least the Jaguars parade will be way more fun to watch than the Chargers parade.

The scummy Rams will find even more ways to suck. 

The Dallas Cowboys & Jerry Jones being nowhere near the Super Bowl & also sucking in the process. It really infuriates me that we can't go a week during the season or offseason without hearing from them, their big mouth sad excuse of an owner, & his loser mush-for-brains son (Stephen Jones).

Patrick Mahomes & the Chiefs do not repeat. I do not want to start hating on Mahomes like I do Tom Brady. But, him being in that Not Worth A Damn  NFL GOAT debate with Tom Brady or if he's going to catch Brady's Super Bowl wins (7) absolutely irritates me. Plus, Steph Curry being a big fan of Patrick Mahomes makes me want to root against him even more. Its very annoying that some people are comparing Mahomes to Steph. I know that Mahomes most certainly has Steph being Steph-type mannerisms when he plays.

Maybe, we well get somewhat lucky & the Detroit Lions might actually get in the Playoffs & possibly win a game in the Playoffs. I'll rather root for that than root for the Jets to win the Super Bowl.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

Maybe it’s not always like that, but I’m not going to watch and find out, especially with a THIRD person.

The third host thing was just a setup for their "audition" promo video. It's pretty silly.

Like you said, it's a lot of them just joking around with random guests, but when they stop and focus on the football game, it's pretty interesting. The two of them just immediately recognize what is about to happen and point it out. Then if it's a bad idea, Peyton gets incredulous and Eli both agrees and kind of eggs on Peyton to rant and rave about it.

I most likely won't be watching ANY Manningcast broadcasts this year, as I'm a Spectrum customer with no current plans to find an alternative way to watch live ESPN stuff. I'm assuming that the local broadcasts of the home team games will still get broadcasted on an over the air channel (although if that ends up being ABC, I'm still hosed), and I can survive without MNF games generally speaking. 

32 minutes ago, Magog said:

The Jets & Aaron Rodgers falling flat on their faces. I will root for them to massively failing like I do when it comes to the Cowboys.

The Chargers finding even more ways to suck. I don't ever want them to get that Super Bowl win.

The Jets, Chargers, and Cowboys all have plenty of good teams to face on their schedules. There's ample reason to be optimistic that they'll lose just enough of those tough games to find themselves on the outside looking in.

• Chargers have their own division games, AFC East, NFC North, and Dallas, Tennessee, and Baltimore
  • Jets have their own division games, NFC East, AFC West, and Atlanta, Houston, Cleveland
  • Cowboys have their own division games, AFC East, NFC West, and Chargers, Carolina, Detroit

The Jets defense was pretty damn good last year. I think Rogers falling on his face will be directly tied to whether or not that unit plays like that again this year. If they do, all he has to do is not be directly responsible for losing games and the Jets will probably win quite a few of those tough games on their schedule.

The only time Rogers won a championship in 2010, the Packers had the #2 ranked scoring defense in the league. This Jets team could put him in that area code again.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Magog said:

The Dallas Cowboys & Jerry Jones being nowhere near the Super Bowl & also sucking in the process. It really infuriates me that we can't go a week during the season or offseason without hearing from them, their big mouth sad excuse of an owner, & his loser mush-for-brains son (Stephen Jones).

Patrick Mahomes & the Chiefs do not repeat. I do not want to start hating on Mahomes like I do Tom Brady. But, him being in that Not Worth A Damn  NFL GOAT debate with Tom Brady or if he's going to catch Brady's Super Bowl wins (7) absolutely irritates me.

From your lips...

I'm starting to hate Mahomes, and that makes me sad because he doesn't seem like a bad guy and because it's not like it's his fault that his wife and brother are demons.  At least, I don't think it's his fault...

• Like 4

This is not good.

I'll never be able to prove it, but before the above news, I was planning on taking Detroit and the points, and thinking of an outright win.  Plus, I don't think I was putting KC 4th place again, but I definitely wasn't putting them in 1st place (or 2nd) at the end of the season for the AFC West

My Wish list for 2023:

DeShawn being good again.

Pissburgh falling on its face

Arizona players proving their owner wrong and winning, so they don't get in the Caleb Williams line.

Detroit being good again.

Justin Fields or Brock Purdy winning Offensive PoY

Philly having a post SB hangover

Russell Wilson getting benched

Another season of injuries for the Cravens

Redemption for Riverboat Ron and Washington, just to rub it in Snyder's face.

McCarthy shitting the bed...again

17 hours ago, roamyn said:

Arizona players proving their owner wrong and winning, so they don't get in the Caleb Williams line.

That's a TALL order. That team seems to have used the Cleveland Indians roster building technique from the movie Major League. The starting QB right now is a guy who just got there like a week ago. 

You know, not too long ago, I think Mike Florio said that it'll be when not if in terms of the league going to a lottery system.  I forgot where he mentioned it or if it was Mike to begin with (could've been Chris Simms or someone else), but I think I would not have a problem with one.

I'll laugh if Caleb stays in school if Arizona has the worst record in the league.  Williams in the NFL is great for the league, so if there was anyway to sabotage the Cards plans to lose on purpose I'm all for it.  That team doesn't deserve anything good.  Same for Houston, Cleveland, and to a lesser extent, Tampa Bay

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I'll laugh if Caleb stays in school if Arizona has the worst record in the league.  Williams in the NFL is great for the league, so if there was anyway to sabotage the Cards plans to lose on purpose I'm all for it.  That team doesn't deserve anything good.  Same for Houston, Cleveland, and to a lesser extent, Tampa Bay

I don't know what is so special about Caleb Williams that his presence will be great in the NFL. He'll be just another quarterback in the NFL. If Caleb Williams somehow turns out to be another Patrick Mahomes-type player & having similar success like him, then it'll be great for the NFL. 

As for teams that don't deserve anything good, I will definitely put the Cowboys (especially Jerry & Stephen Jones), Falcons (28-3), Bears (they can live off that 85 Bears team forever for all I care), those scummy Rams, Chargers, & Dolphins on that list.

Edited by Magog
34 minutes ago, Magog said:

As for teams that don't deserve anything good, I will definitely put the Cowboys (especially Jerry & Stephen Jones), Falcons (28-3), Bears (they can live off that 85 Bears team forever for all I care), those scummy Rams, Chargers, & Dolphins on that list.

This is totally fair enough.  I can't believe I left out Dallas.  Same with Miami and the Chargers, but Dallas?  Yeah no for Caleb.  I'm okay with the Rams since their culture is actually decent.  Not as decent as Cowherd thinks but it's probably & currently Top 5 or Top 10.  I left out teams like Cincinnati & Carolina for obvious reasons.  Cincy, while not awful in terms of culture isn't good either.  Plus, they sorta have someone that's great right now.  Carolina just got Young.  However, I don't know what to expect in the first year.  Too soon to boot that guy, and furthermore, it's rather too early to determine whether Tepper is a great owner or not.

Indy and New England I probably should have included on that list as well.

As for tonight's game, I might have to wait until the 11th hour to make a pick.  That's in terms of who's winning the game.  It can go either way; I thought as much this time 2 days ago, albeit to a lesser extent.  FWIW, I had Detroit at least covering the spread, and I still do.  As for an outright victory or a win that emulates what Kansas City did to New England six years ago on this date, I'm currently not sure

So my question is is Caleb Williams good enough to make a bad team (and if you are getting top five draft pic and using it for a QB you are probably a bad team) good or is he going to be a product of his environment and play at the level that his drafting team already has?  We all know how many QBs Cleveland has drafted over the years.

Edited by bluegirl147
12 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So my question is is Caleb Williams good enough to make a bad team (and if you are getting top five draft pic and using it for a QB you are probably a bad team) good or is he going to be a product of his environment and play at the level that his drafting team already has?  We all know how many QBs Cleveland has drafted over the years.

Probably not in the first year.  Now, anything could happen if, say, Tampa gets him.  That division, while likely to be better in 2024, has to send someone to the postseason.  Tampa lucked out last year before actually getting destroyed by Dallas, but maybe this time around, The Bucs enjoy homefield.  Then, maybe they turn into those Giants teams that rolled through the postseason.

Of course, if a team that is awful in 2023 traded their first round pick to a 2023 playoff team, it's high enough to trade up to the first overall pick, the team holding that pick doesn't need a QB (ex Carolina, Buffalo), and the same team has another first round pick, Caleb could end up in a very good situation.  It could be a team that's one QB away from contenting for the title

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Cleveland's track record should be used as a cautionary tale as opposed to an example of what normal results might look like.

There are some quarterbacks where pretty much EVERYBODY agrees that the kid has everything you want to see and will be all that and a bag of chips. Elway, Peyton Manning (although some people liked Leaf better, oops), Andrew Luck and more recently Trevor Lawrence were all first overall picks that came with the evaluation of "It's all there."

SO MANY other quarterbacks went first overall because they were very good prospects and the team drafting first needed a QB.  Some turned into really good to great QBs, others were not good to bad.

Here's what profootballnetwork.com currently says about Caleb Williams as a prospect:

Current Draft Projection and Summary

Williams is an immensely gifted playmaker. He’ll enter the NFL as one of the premier arm talents and creators at quarterback on Day 1. His ability to devastate the will of defenses after evading pressure is reminiscent of peak Josh Allen.

Unlike Allen, though, Williams consistently makes good decisions with the ball and avoids turnover-worthy plays. Williams lacks Allen’s immense size and ability to shed would-be tacklers similarly, but the two thrive in chaos that we’ve rarely seen.

The biggest area Williams can prove himself is as an anticipatory passer on three- and five-step drops. Riley hasn’t prioritized this because Williams is trusted to be even more effective when breaking the play’s design.

Williams shows good instincts and vision when he plays within the scheme, but I want to see more of it to know whether it’s an actual weakness or something he decides against using more.

Williams will transform the organization he lands with very early in his career. He’s a slam-dunk top-two quarterback in the 2024 class and has the tools and skill set to be an All-Pro in the NFL.

This isn't quite "he's one of the best prospects in the last 20 years" like people were saying about Trevor Lawrence, but it is a VERY positive profile that makes it sound like he's somebody who could immediately make a bad team better. 

And yeah, he could totally pull a John Elway and say "I'm never playing for your organization" to the Cardinals. They way they run things there, it's not an unreasonable thing to say.

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

One more sleep!

I’m still not quite sure why the talking heads are so enamored with the Lions, but we’ll find out sooner than later.

The Lions were really fun to watch the second half of last year going 8-2 after the 1-6 start. They had a bunch of draft picks in the first two rounds this year, and look like they managed to improve their roster materially from where they ended the 2022 season. 

They had no reason to play hard against the Packers in their week 17 game, as opposed to the Packers who needed to win to get to the playoffs, and they won that game 20-16.  

Everything about the Lions at the end of last year made you think that the Lions were going to be a really good team this year.

BUT last year was last year and there is no guarantee that teams will pick up where they left off. 

8 hours ago, Carey said:

As for tonight's game, I might have to wait until the 11th hour to make a pick.  That's in terms of who's winning the game.  It can go either way; I thought as much this time 2 days ago, albeit to a lesser extent.  FWIW, I had Detroit at least covering the spread, and I still do.  As for an outright victory or a win that emulates what Kansas City did to New England six years ago on this date, I'm currently not sure

Kelce's out. 

4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

There are some quarterbacks where pretty much EVERYBODY agrees that the kid has everything you want to see and will be all that and a bag of chips. Elway, Peyton Manning (although some people liked Leaf better, oops), Andrew Luck and more recently Trevor Lawrence were all first overall picks that came with the evaluation of "It's all there."

And we saw what happened with Trevor Lawrence - completely hobbled his first season by his then-coach.

For even a very talented QB to succeed, two pieces in particular need to be in place: A good coach, and a good OL. Even the greatest QBs have looked utterly human when their OL can't give them protection.

The problem so much of the time - heaven knows I've seen it ad nauseum with my Raiders - is that a team that's missing so many quality players first go and get a QB, and consequently sets that QB up for failure. Better front offices get some other crucial pieces in place first and then get a QB.

I don't know that I would bother to hold out if I were Williams. Arizona may not be the most quality organization, but they aren't the worst, and odds are the following year will be an org as bad as or worse than AZ. And of course, draft picks get traded, so that's a wild card. I think Williams should just ask himself whether he feels he needs another year of experience before he turns pro, and let that be what makes his decision.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Kelce's out. 

Lions 41, Chiefs 28.

The line, which was 4.5 from 6 (or dropped from 6.5 to 5) in favor of Kansas City, dropped to 4 and then 3.5 upon the news of Kelce.  I didn't even need to look at what caused the rapid drop.

We'll see how Patrick can play without Travis for the first time.  That 31-point surge New England had over six years ago occurred without Gronk.

Speaking of New England, Mahomes first game as a member of KC concluded in a surprising win in favor of KC at the expense of the Pats.  That occurred on this date in 2017.

If the face of the NFL can get it done, IDC that it's at Arrowhead.  That shows that it doesn't matter who's in and who's out.  That's scary for the other 31 teams, but not for KC.

I'll post my other stuff later, but I do have Kansas City finishing in 3rd place in the AFC West without any wins after 01/07/24.  I have Detroit winning the NFC North.  Not sure I can post how far they go in the NFC but I don't have them winning it

Edited by Carey
Some 2023 NFL Picks

Regardless of the outcome, I was planning on picking Detroit to win its division, or I was always going to pick them to win the NFC North.  Plus, I still think that this is the year Kansas City doesn't win its division.  Sean Payton can be & has been sneaky good.   In addition, the Chargers might have a decent structure to where they finally overcome their division foe.  Especially if Bosa is around throughout.

It was important that I mentioned that before kickoff so that it didn't look like I'm predicting stuff in the moment.  KC can easily be down 0-2 after their trip to Jacksonville.  That, IMO, will cost them big.  As for Detroit. no bandwagon jumping for me yet.  However, Minnesota's schedule is brutal, Green Bay may be an unknown but I think they're mediocre at best, and there's nothing too exciting about Chicago.  So if all goes well, then Detroit can finally be the 31st team to win it's division since the current alignment took place (or 32nd if somehow Cleveland gets there first)

If being happy KC lost is wrong I don't want to be right.

55 minutes ago, Carey said:

KC can easily be down 0-2 after their trip to Jacksonville.  That, IMO, will cost them big.

Every single loss for teams contending matters. As you said in that division the Chiefs could easily fall behind.

Detroit is one of those teams that I've never felt any animosity towards. Unlike Dallas. Or NE. So I am happy not only they won this game but could very well win their division or at least get a playoff berth. 

• Like 6

As I may have implied with my previous post, I'm not impressed with the Chiefs wide receiver room for 2023. Their lack of production, specifically dropping passes, last night was a BIG reason they lost that game. 

Keeping Kelce on the field will go a long way for this year's team, but they're going to need somebody to be reliable at WR to beat some of the better teams. I thought their defense played really well last night, even without Jones (who is just loosing a million dollars a game when he HAS to know the Chiefs aren't going to pay him.)

I'm pretty comfortable with assuming the Chiefs will figure it out and win their division again like they do every year. They have a great Coach and a great QB; they'll figure out how to deal with the problem.

The Lions can hang their hats on this win however. Like my Giants, they're a feisty bunch who will win close games when the other team makes more mistakes than they do. 

It's always nice to see a Lions' win (especially since I can't stand KC and the way the refs and commentators favor them).  But I'm not on the Detroit bandwagon yet - I've been burned too many times!

KC receivers need to step it up  - with or without Kelce.  But for now, I will revel in my team being 1-0 and Patrick Mahomes leading the league in interceptions.

One thing that's worth mentioning is that Detroit winning was impressive in a game where, maybe they could've won by more had the refs had put their foot down on Jawaan Taylor.  So while Detroit might've been gifted with a defensive score that may have made the difference, the officials not caring about KC's RT jumping early was a pretty big deal.

Sure 41-28 (or 42-27) in favor of Detroit might've been silly in terms of predicting a score, but I was on the fence throughout the week.  I still had them covering win or lose.  As mentioned, Jones isn't getting paid.  IMO, this isn't going to be a mid-90s Emmitt situation, but it's more probable than not that KC needs him more when going opposite some offensive greats.  Fortunately the brutal part of KC's schedule doesn't occur until after Week 8

16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

And we saw what happened with Trevor Lawrence - completely hobbled his first season by his then-coach.

For even a very talented QB to succeed, two pieces in particular need to be in place: A good coach, and a good OL. Even the greatest QBs have looked utterly human when their OL can't give them protection.

There is no better way to ensure that a young QB will fail than to put him on a team that goes through two coaches and three offensive coordinators in his first three years.

Take any year and look at who the top 8-10 QBs were that year, and you'll find that maybe one or two guys had a career that started that way. It's a very difficult position to play, and QBs who find themselves on a team with a stable situation have a MUCH better chance of turning all of their talent into success at the NFL level. (And if Caleb Williams does end up being the clear #1 player in next year's draft, I would not hold it against him at all if he told a dysfunctional organization like the Cardinals that he'll never play for them.)

54 minutes ago, Carey said:

maybe they could've won by more had the refs had put their foot down on Jawaan Taylor. 

That is all over the news.  And not just sports news.  For people who think the NFL and the refs play favorites this has them saying I told you so.  And honestly it does look bad.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

That is all over the news.  And not just sports news.  For people who think the NFL and the refs play favorites this has them saying I told you so.  And honestly it does look bad.

TBH, TPTB and company playing favorites is the opposite of unprecedented or surprising.  This is common throughout sports.  In a "coin-flip" situation I understand it because having the stars persevere is good for sports or the sport.  Kansas City winning, while as boring as New England in the past, is good for business.

That being said, it was so blatant.  If they let him get away with it once or twice, so be it.  But it was all the time.  He should've been flagged to put him on notice, but they did not, and he took advantage of it.  If they call it, that doesn't happen throughout the game.  Then if it were to occur later & it's not called, people would complain, but then it'll just be TPTB stretching the rules.  Instead...well, this is not great for the league

1 minute ago, Carey said:

it was so blatant.

That is the issue for me.  I think most people know and will grudgingly accept some calls are not going to be made and some calls will be made simply because it's beneficial to a particular team in a particular game.  But blatantly allowing a player to continue to get away with something that could have allowed his team to win is too much.  Were the Lion's coaches raising hell on the sidelines about it?

Knowing Campbell, he was just doing he best to overcome the situation they were in.  They were the inferior team.  FWIW, no sense in going crazy when it would've been the point where they'd had throw the flag

MY 2023 STANDINGS

AFCW: Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders
AFCS: Jaguars, Titans, Texans, Colts
AFCE: Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Bills
AFCN: Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns

NFCW: Niners, Seahawks, Rams, Cards
NFCS: Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Bucs
NFCE: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Commanders 
NFCN: Lions, Vikings, Packers, Bears

AFC Postseason

WC: Los Angeles over Kansas City // Cincinnati over Denver // Baltimore over Miami
DR: Jacksonville over Baltimore // Los Angeles over Cincinnati
AFCCG: Jacksonville over Los Angeles

NFC Postseason

WC: Philadelphia over New Orleans // Detroit over New York // Seattle over Atlanta
DR: Philadelphia over Detroit // San Francisco over Seattle
NFCCG: San Francisco over Philadelphia

SUPER BOWL LVIII: San Francisco 49ers over Jacksonville Jaguars 

Week One NFL Picks: Atlanta, Baltimore, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Minnesota, New Orleans, Washington, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, New England, Seattle, both New York Teams

Chicago, New England, and both NY teams all cover. Over hits in SNF, under in Pats, Bills, and Packers games

Edited by Carey
Edited to add Week One Picks
  • Like 1

Week 1 is finally about to start. I'm certain that the Falcons will find a way to lose to the Panthers because they absolutely suck like they always do. 

Speaking of teams that suck & finding ways to choke in games, I except that type of performance from the sorry sucky Chargers today. 

As for those Cowboys, here is their theme song to help them start the season. I can never ever get sick & tired of this song. Hopefully, we will hear that song a whole lot this season. Especially when they (hopefully) lose to the Giants tonight. 

ESPN - Mediocre Team In Big D

Edited by Magog

Since the Bills and Jets play tomorrow and the Giants play tonight, my teevee options are…San Fran vs. Pittsburgh or Cincy vs. Cleveland.  Normally I would just watch baseball but a. rain delay and b. the Yankees made me mad so they’ve been relegated to the iPad.

Don’t know why we’re so AFC North heavy up in here, but I guess the Bengals it is.  Be better if this was in Cincy though.

• LOL 1

@mojoween do you have the RedZone? It’s the BEST when your team is in prime time or on a bye. I had RedZone in today except for a little bit of watching the Niners smack around the Steelers. 

Where are my Tampa fans today? I told you that I thought predictions of an all time bad season was an overreaction. Big win for their confidence. 

• Like 1