Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

I just read the comic and I'm really disappointed. Not with the content as such, just that I read it in five minutes, if that. Also since when does Oliver 

call Roy 'Speedy'?

. There's no lead up to that in the show. 

Edited by Angel12d

I thought it was a nice way to kick off the comics. There wasn't a lot of characterization which I'm happy about because I'd rather that be saved for the show. Regardless, I thought it was fun, short, and simple. It's nice to see Team Arrow in the swing of things again.

What I didn't like was Digg being sidelined (in the comics no less!). I hope that changes and I hope he gets more than one line :/ Then again, these are short comics so I doubt we will. 

24 chapters? How is that possible? 

I really don't like that, that's going to run through S3...how is this supposed to act as a gap between S2/S3 when it's going to run through the end of S3?

God, that is...so stupid. And each tiny edition is $.99?!

Yeah, no thanks. I thought I was curious, but I'm not THAT curious.

I rather enjoyed it. I've just finished reading the second collection of the S1 comics so the short format was what I was expecting and I don't begrudge my 69p every two weeks for it. Also - and I can't believe no one has mentioned it given the feelings on this forum - there is absolutely no Laurel, not a mention, not an allusion, not a whiff of her. Surely that's worth 69p?

Also, the 'boxing glove' arrow made me giggle :)

Edited by Tallis
  • Love 1

Thank to everyone who took one for the team and shared the results.  I think I'll wait for the print version.  I laughed at how prominent the scars are in the cover picture, way, way more than on SA.

It seems like the reason for skipping 8 months on the show is a manipulation to get everyone to buy the comics to find out what happens.

Good to know there's no Laurel..... yet.

This is a spoiler thread?  So no need to put things behind spoiler bars?

I guess I just don't understand how these comics lay the groundwork for this season when we'll only get to read 3 out of 24 chapters before the season airs?

Yeah. That makes no sense.  Unless it is just a manipulation to get us to buy comics we wouldn't have otherwise.

Edited by statsgirl

Wow, I didn't know there would be so many issues of this comic. Maybe they intend to have the stories that bridge S2 and S3 be in the issues that run until October and then continue the comic like the did with S1's, where there are little side stories and small character moments independent of what is going on in S3. 

I wasn't impressed with the S1 comic (in fairness I am not comic reader, just not my thing.) I didn't feel like I was getting any information that was necessary so I'd be fine ending my subscription when S3 begins if that is what they are doing.

I haven't really read many superhero comics - having only read the the big crossover/mainstream graphic novels (just started sandman, ode to kirohito/doctor jack, watchmen, maus, some chris ware etc). But the artwork seemed fairly poor, is that a standard for this type of book?

Hopefully this is not a dumb question, but is it possible recommend the best artists for DC? And to keep on topic, the best run of Green Arrow?

People point to Mike Grell's run as great, especially The Longbow Hunters.  There's also Year One which was written by Andy Diggle, both series are the "basis" for Arrow (tone more than actual events).  I've been debating reading Quiver by Kevin Smith, I like Smith's writing but I haven't seen too many people praising the series so I've held off for now.

I started reading n52 with Jeff Lemiere and The Kill Machine is a great read, my personal favorite of the GA stories that he wrote for the past 2 years.  The Outsiders War is also good but I was a little disappointed with the quick resolution.  Andrea Sorentino's artwork is regarded very highly (from what I've seen) but I tend to pay more attention to the writer than the artist so I'm not sure where he ranks among DC Artists.

• Love 1

Just caught up on BoP and the final GA issue by Jeff Lemiere (in spoiler since it was just released yesterday).

I have a different take on the BoP ending, yeah the team is scattered but I doubt it will last too long.  They ended Deathstroke's run last August and just launched the title again.  If they're smart they'd actually give Sara/Black Canary more exposure on Arrow and then try to relaunch the BoP title (with better writers, this creative team didn't seem to have a big story in mind just trudging along).  Anyway my first thought on the Kurt/Dinah situation was wow major deviation from previous canon, Dinah/Drake are not OTP and they won't be having a daughter anytime soon (obviously anything could change...on a whim).  I also felt that the Dinah/Kurt resolution was too quick and a bit haphazard, the writer obviously used a trick to tie up the lose ends but it rang false.  However, it seemed the main purpose for wrapping up Kurt/Dinah/Ben triangle was so they could end the story on Dinah/Ben.

Now onto GA Future's End Tie-In #1.  

This story takes place 5 years in the future, Oliver is going to retire as GA and join the Outsiders provided they help him take down Cadmus since they're experimenting on Superhuman's from Earth 2 (I guess they could use Earth 2 or any other Earth to re-introduce Dinah Laurel Lance...if they wanted to but I don't know why they would to be honest).  In this story, Emiko is a teenager, she's taken over wearing the hood and calling herself Green Arrow because Oliver disappeared weeks ago and Seattle needed a protector.  Naomi is still by her side and is fighting the good fight, only now she's going out into the field as Red Dart (using Dart's wrist launcher).

I haven't read the comics from the re-launch so I have no idea if this is something that is supposed to have happened in the missing 5 years or that happened earlier in the run but the comics hint to Oliver and Lois Lane having had a relationship in the past,  I thought that was interesting.  Oliver/Shado/Emiko have a family reunion and the issue ends with The Outsiders going to rescue the Earth 2 peeps from Cadmus with the promise that Oliver will return in some other hero guise but from this point on Emiko is Green Arrow.  The story will wrap up in Futures End #21 which I'm going to buy simply because I want to see what happens to Oliver.
No mention of Diggle or Fyfe in the issue.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

The Green Arrow stuff, was that a part of the New 52 series?

From my post?  Sort of, it was the Green Arrow 52 title but a special edition tied directly to the Future's End Storyline that's taking place in all of the DCnU. http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Green-Arrow-Futures-End-1-(Standard-Ed)___452857

The wrap up for the story-line is New 52 Future's End #21 which should be released on 9/24 (the title comes out weekly).  IIRC the Future's End story-line started in May and introduced Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond into the n52 universe.  The story runs weekly and is supposed to last a full year (until May 2015).  

It holds no connection between the events of Broken and whatever AK has planned for the title once he takes over in October. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

For those of you who aren't familiar with the comics (just like me), this is an interesting read that actually sheds a lot of light on how insanely baseless the 'but comics' argument is:

x

It's quite long, but very interesting indeed. 

• Love 1
There was no Sara, in any incarnation, yet we have one on Arrow and not only that, she is also the original Canary whose title will pass onto her sister (and most likely, as you’ve predicted, once she dies because that is how Dinah in the comic books acquired her title). However, unlike the comic books, the title will be honorific but at the same time trying to distinguish itself from the previous superhero but also respecting the Sara’s and Laurel’s respective identities.

That is pretty much stating that Sara will die so Laurel can take over because that's how it happened in the comics (the first BC died so they second one can take over). The only difference they are saying will be Laurel putting the color of her outfit in front of her name. Because somehow "Black" Canary really differentiates her from The Canary. 

Arrow and Green Arrow will be the same person, because comics. Laurel taking Sara's name will never make her different than Sara. Their backstories don't matter, no one the Canary saves knows where she came from or what she did before they only know her as the hero. 

Edited by Sakura12

Ah, I think that's more of a prediction ("and most likely, as you’ve predicted"), I didn't see it as that person saying "Sara has to die". And that's actually a popular theory within the fandom. The person who runs that blog (from what I can see) doesn't want Sara to die in order for Laurel to become BC, I've actually had a conversation with her before and she explicitly stated that she'd rather both the sisters be alive even if Laurel were to become BC. :)

It's not the having to die part that bothers me it's the Laurel has to become BC because comics. But for everything and everyone else comics don't matter. Even when they go on to say that right now Dinah Laurel Lance doesn't exist in the comics and she only goes by Dinah never Laurel. So Laurel not being Oliver Queen's endgame doesn't have to happen because of the comics, but Laurel becoming BC will happen because of comics. 

It's not a good argument when you contradict yourself. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I've always presumed that, that's where the EPs were taking Laurel. They haven't stated otherwise, and MG has been known to say that Laurel will take steps towards her comic counterpart which indicates that Laurel will become BC. It seems as though the EPs are hellbent on making Laurel BC and follow the comics, but it doesn't HAVE to go that way as stated. At least that's how I took it? IDK. I can't really tell you the intentions of the writer, but I don't think they explicitly stated that Laurel has to become BC. 

@Sakura12 - You are absolutely right, the Comic argument that allows Olicity/Diggle/Thea/Moria/Team Arrow TO happen also allows Laurel as the Black Canary to NOT happen. Personally I think some, not all of course, Olicity fans are very concerned with not being seen as anti-Laurel so they give her the Black Canary as her destiny. I really enjoy reading the blog authors posts and I feel a lot of them are spot on, but the lengths she (and others) go to defend Laurel makes me shake my head. Sara is so much closer to the Black Canary then Laurel could ever be at this point. 

I still think the EP's are hellbent on making Laurel the Black Canary. I still think the popular (in terms of quanity not quality) theory about Sara dying will probably be true. And I still think it will be a disservice to the Black Canary name. I wish more Black Canary fans called BS. 

This comment probably belonged in a different thread, probably a few of them.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 4

I saw that blog last night and that comment made me shake my head too.

I also don't get the Comics argument. ..stuff happens all the time in comics that is totally eradicated later. Look at the story in The Futures End Comic, I mentioned above. That takes place 5 years in the future. Does that mean those characters will always end up in that position? Hell no, a new creative team could kill one of those characters off, marry someone off, knock someone up, etc.

Joe Bennett is the penciller here, with inks by Jack Jadson, colours by Jim Charalampidis and letters by Deron Bennett. For the most part, the art reflects the characters as they are in real life on the show, but occasionally there are panels where that’s not the case.

This guy is apparently blind or heavily medicated...the characters look nothing like the actors.

• Love 3

Two of the things mentioned in that link are set up in this issue of the GA tie in. GA faked his death on national TV (Deathstroke "kills" him) and upon his death Naomi is supposed to send Lois the mystery box.

Unfortunately this is the problem with limited reading I'm not actually following the Future's End storyline (seemed like a total money grab) especially when combined with Earth 2 Worlds End (both stories are tied together...I think).

That seems odd that this came out in August and the GA title just came out. LOL

But yeah DancingNancy is right September = November. ..

Edited by Morrigan2575

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55428

Coming into the "Green Arrow" comic and seeing that even before that they started to incorporate a lot of elements that were derived from the TV show or were in the spirit of the TV show, taking that and now you get to take that and run with it -- what's been fun about seeing your TV creations integrate into the comic book and to be able to go and do more with that yourself?

It's fun because in a way it's sort of like its own crossover episode: you always like those episodes of "Star Trek" where the "Next Generation" group got together with the "DS9" group, and to have scenes that have Felicity and have Dig but also has Naomi and Fyfe and Emiko -- the TV characters and the comic book characters and they're all existing in their own way. It's just fun. It feels like an all-star comic. And what's also fun about it is that we also have Oliver in the comic book getting to interact with Bruce Wayne and with some of the other big DC Comics characters that we obviously could never do on the TV show. Watching Felicity get to be in a scene with Lex Luthor -- that's fun for us!

So it looks like Naomi and Fyff are still part of the team. I'm really excited to see Felicity interact with Lex Luthor, that could be really interesting.

Anything specific about the plot or the villains you're using that you want to tease?

We have a brand new villain that we're introducing -- The King, to Oliver's Queen. And we're really excited about that. We think that we have a really good story and I think we're really excited for people who watch the TV show who've never read the comic to check out the comic, and then people who read the comic and for whatever reason haven't caught on to the show -- we love the idea of cross-pollination. And the Felicity that's in the comic isn't quite the Felicity that's in the TV show -- we were very clear in the beginning that we did not want to do an adaptation of the TV show. We wanted to do this new "Green Arrow" comic book that had an echo of the TV show, so it feels current and of its time

I'm curious to see what Comics Felicity is going to be like...I hope I like her and she's as awesome as Show Felicity Edited by Morrigan2575

Well, that's interesting. I think I just might purchase the Green Arrow books by Kreisberg and Co., if only to see Felicity interacting with Lex Luthor. I hope the artwork is a little better than Arrow 2.5, though. From what I've seen of the previous works and the promo covers for the upcoming ones, the GA books look pretty good.

So, uh, that Arrow 2.5 cover that was just posted... Is it just me (and I swear I'm not being pervy) or can you totally see the outline of Oliver's underwear? I guess this means Oliver prefers wearing boxer briefs? Heh. But that green leather is seriously unforgivingly tight. Maybe, that's why Oliver's so grumpy on that cover.