Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Are you saying you're worried AK will bring Dinah Drake into the GA title?

That's definitely one of my concerns, and given the status of BoP, I'm also concerned how Dinah's future in comics will go.

I don't read the comics at this point (my son does) BUT if DC wants to keep the comics and show connected, then I'm likewise concerned about how things shape up on the show regarding Laurel and Sara (and whoever ends up as the ultimate BC). 

I agree that Show!Laurel is hardly Comic!Dinah - in any variation I've read personally or have heard of. 

That being said, AK did a number, IMO, on Dinah/BC when he wrote GA/BC (which is what turned me off of GA comics).  So I'm prepared to be bitter all over again, i suppose.  but this time I won't be ticked from the vantage point of a comic book fan.  My frustration will come from the show only.

If BC doesn't appear in AK/BS's version of GA, I think I'd actually prefer that.

• Love 2

Interesting news for DC's New 52 Green Arrow series. If Felicity Smoak is going to be reintroduced again in comics canon, I imagine this could play out in several different ways on the TV show and our Girl Wednesday's character development:

1. Arrow Executive Producer Andrew Kriesberg and writer Ben Sokolowski have been tasked with writing the New 52 series and said their take would be "more about cross-pollination" in taking what worked for the show and the comic balancing them out. If this is the case, Felicity may be doing more than being just the brain of Team Arrow, because in Green Arrow comics canon this role is already occupied by Naomi Singh.
  2. Naomi comic plotlines could parallel Felicity's in Season 4 and beyond. I can't find anything else about Naomi's backstory, which is odd because it seems that she's in several GA comics.
  3. Everything that we hear in terms of the show sticking with "canon" re: Oliver/Laurel is now turned on its head because now they share the same creators. If Oliver/Felicity become comics canon, this is a way for TPTB to have their cake and eat it, too -- while also taking it to the bank.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Interesting news for DC's New 52 Green Arrow series. If Felicity Smoak is going to be reintroduced again in comics canon, I imagine this could play out in several different ways on the TV show and our Girl Wednesday's character development:

Arrow Executive Producer Andrew Kriesberg and writer Ben Sokolowski have been tasked with writing the New 52 series and said their take would be "more about cross-pollination" in taking what worked for the show and the comic balancing them out. If this is the case, Felicity may be doing more than being just the brain of Team Arrow, because in Green Arrow comics canon this role is already occupied by Naomi Singh.

Naomi comic plotlines could parallel Felicity's in Season 4 and beyond. I can't find anything else about Naomi's backstory, which is odd because it seems that she's in several GA comics.

Everything that we hear in terms of the show sticking with "canon" re: Oliver/Laurel is now turned on its head because now they share the same creators. If Oliver/Felicity become comics canon, this is a way for TPTB to have their cake and eat it, too -- while also taking it to the bank.

I suggested (somewhere).several months back that they could introduce Felicity into the comics as part of the Oliver/Diggle/Roy Original Team Arrow story, which took place the first year after Oliver escaped the Island. Current story is 5 years post Island escape.

They can have Oliver or Diggle go to her for help now because they're broke or whatever. Naomi existing could be a problem for including Felicity since it's the same character/function. Fyff does the hardware while Naomi does the software stuff. So Felicity kind of overlaps both but really Naomi=Felicity down to just about everything (including romantic under tones).

As I mentioned earlier AK/BS could kill Naomi off like Lemire killed Jax at the start of his run. Or Oliver can tell Naomi that he doesn'the love her and she decides to leave. Or my personal favorite Naomi can leave because of Emiko. Emiko tortured Naomi and Naomi watched as Komodo killed Jax, I think Emiko was quite gleeful over that. So it's possible that Naomi is all, i don't cate if she's your half sister, this little psycho and her "father" tortured me and her mother lied to you and took you out of town with while Richard Dragon took over and now we have hitmen after us. Fuck this shit, I'm out!

I don't want Naomi to leave I like her but I don't want a love triangle (even if the current one is barely played in the comics) and I just don't know how they can keep both unless Felicity becomes more hardware and they get rid of Fyff instead?

As for what this means for Felicity in the show well, I think the possibility that they will kill Felicity off to further O/L has been eliminated.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Naomi existing could be a problem for including Felicity since it's the same character/function. Fyff does the hardware while Naomi does the software stuff. So Felicity kind of overlaps both but really Naomi=Felicity down to just about everything (including romantic under tones).

[....]

I don't want Naomi to leave I like her but I don't want a love triangle (even if the current one is barely played in the comics) and I just don't know how they can keep both unless Felicity becomes more hardware and they get rid of Fyff instead?

Thanks for bringing this over, I wasn't sure where to put my last post, @Morrigan2575! I am really glad I can discuss this with someone familiar with GA comics, because the interwebs do not say anything about Naomi and whether or not she was the true inspiration behind Felicity's CW character.

From the little that I do see, I would hate for DC to kill off Naomi or worse, fridging her (although I guess that was already done when she was tortured by Emiko). Plus, as a fellow woman of colour, I like that she is Asian. (Sidenote: From CW's main cast, I just realized that Diggle is the only person of colour. Wow.) 

Felicity wouldn't be the same if they didn't have her as a computer genius at the very least, so I'm betting Fyff will go. However, this doesn't solve for the romantic undertones already there between Oliver and Naomi, and adding Felicity in the mix as a trusted colleague/romantic rival would be terrible. On the other hand, it would be kind of awesome to have Naomi join the CW and become BFFs with Felicity, who hasn't really interacted with any female peers other than Sara.

(edited)

On the other hand, it would be kind of awesome to have Naomi join the CW and become BFFs with Felicity, who hasn't really interacted with any female peers other than Sara.

It would be great for Felicity to have a female friend but unfortunately every time they bring on a new character, the roles of the existing characters shrink to give room to the new one (e.g. Diggle was more of Oliver's confidante before Felicity came into the cave).  And having her as a romantic rival would be worse.  

Would it be possible to give Naomi some of the role of the original Felilcity Smoak and have her run a tech company outside of the daily interactions with Oliver?

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)

I don't know if Naomi is the inspiration for Felicity. What I do know is that the original GA creative team wanted to use Chloe Sullivan (Smallville) in the comics but DC said no. The creative team then decided to create an original character to serve the same function.

So Chloe/Smallville=Naomi/Green Arrow=Felicity/Arrow.

As for killing Naomi I'm not pro/against she hasn't had a big enough role in the comics (17-32) to blow me away and Lemire made a big mistep in having her be automatically jealous/catty with Shado (IMO). I love Felicity more than Naomi so I'm more than willing to change but I do like Naomi.

On the other hand, it would be kind of awesome to have Naomi join the CW and become BFFs with Felicity, who hasn't really interacted with any female peers other than Sara.

Why? If you don't read the comics why would you care about Naomi on Arrow? Or DC killing Naomi to make way for Felicity?

For example, I started reading with 17, in that issue Lemire killed off the CEO of QI an old friend of Robert Queen who also knew Oliver. He later blew up Q Corp and "killed" Naomi/Jax, their deaths meant nothing to me, I didn't know or care about the characters.

Adding Naomi to Arrow would be just as problematic as bringing Felicity in GA but one gains readership (they hope), adding Naomi to Arrow isn't going to increase viewership, she's not a big enough character. So why bring Naomi to Arrow what does it gain? You have 23k issues sold/per month, and over 2 million viewers/week for Arrow. DC wants to bring Arrow viewers to the comics.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I don't know if Naomi is the inspiration for Felicity. What I do know is that the original GA creative team wanted to use Chloe Sullivan (Smallville) in the comics but DC said no. The creative team then decided to create an original character to serve the same function.

I never read a confirmation for that before, but I had heard rumors. :) Chloe and Ollie worked on Smallville, and DC knew that from the start. And they probably said no to Chloe on GA because they were planning the Smallville digital comic -- that's still on-going, btw, and that features Chloe and Ollie as happily married. And expecting a baby.

I never read a confirmation for that before, but I had heard rumors. :) Chloe and Ollie worked on Smallville, and DC knew that from the start. And they probably said no to Chloe on GA because they were planning the Smallville digital comic -- that's still on-going, btw, and that features Chloe and Ollie as happily married. And expecting a baby.

I can't promise anything but ill see if I can find the link to the confirmation I saw. I was cruising a Chlollie forum on LJ and someone provided a link when I asked for explanation (but that was last year)...my memory isn't that good.

BQM is still writing Smallville S11 and I know that BQM was forced to limit Oliver in his title because of DC. Don't know if it was confirmed but I heard it was bc of the Arrow and GA titles. Arrow is gone as far as know; I think you can still get the digital version but the paper (?) version wasn't selling.

Hmmmm, maybe I saw that and just forgot? I follow that LJ comm as well. Will look and/or ask around, hee.

BQM is still writing Smallville S11 and I know that BQM was forced to limit Oliver in his title because of DC. Don't know if it was confirmed but I heard it was bc of the Arrow and GA titles. Arrow is gone as far as know; I think you can still get the digital version but the paper (?) version wasn't selling.

Yeah, there was never a confirmation there, but DC took Oliver away from BQM for awhile there, but now he's back. I'm kinda only buying the Smallville comics when Chloe [and Ollie] are in it, because where Chloe goes, so goes my nation.

But to bring this back to Green Arrow comics, maybe they will mix Arrow!Felicity with pre-new52 comics Felicity, not with the Firestorm storyline, but instead of IT girl she can be CEO of a software company, or something like that. And yes please, no romantic triangles, especially not one in which Naomi and Felicity are basically the same character.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think they can stray too far from Show Felicity since the whole point is to bring Arrow viewers to GA comics, she's going to have to be mid-20s, blonde and babble or else what's the point? Felicity, like Diggle has to be recognizable to the show's viewers while trying to fit into the comics universe.

They could make her the head of a tech company or tie her in as part of Oliver trying to get QI back. However, that will be problematic since I don't think they'll want to parrallel the show/comics too closely.

Maybe they'll find a way to keep Diggle, Naomi, Fyff and Felicity on Team Green Arrow but I'll be damned if I can figure out how. Personally, I don't like Fyff that much so I'd vote him off the Island first. I like Naomi more than Fyff but she lost a ton of points with that jealousy crap.

The Outsiders War didn't do Fyff/Naomi/Diggle any favors, I really felt like they were forgotten. Hell, we still haven't had an Oliver/Diggle reunion (haven't read 33 yet). I wonder if AK/BS can find a balance with Team GA in the comics?

Edited by Morrigan2575

From the main characters on Arrow, the ones they could bring over to the comics and keep more or less the same are Dig and Felicity. Dig is already there, and when they bring Felicity, yes, I agree, she definitely needs to have a similar enough personality/quirks/traits.

They can probably use most of the villains, and ARGUS personnel [Deadshot would be fun!], but I really can't see how then can use any of the Lances -- because different Dinah married to different Lance; and now that I think about it, Thea is probably out of question as well, because of Emiko. And is Roy still running around with Jason Todd and Starfire? If so then he's also out.

(edited)

Yeah, no Thea because of Emiko but, maybe they bring Mia back? AFAIK Roy is still in Red Hood and The Outlaws but I don't read the title.

I think Tommy is the other person they can bring into the books. He's alive and out of his coma (last I heard). So best friend or (sadly) evil Villain Tommy could show up in the GA title.

I'm guessing Amanda Waller and ARGUS (or does she run a different organization in the comics?) could play a part as well.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Dammit #33 was freaking awesome! Talk about a cliffy...who lives? Who dies? Urgh!

I have to give Lemire credit I didn't think I'd ever like Emiko but that little psycho is kind of entertaining.

Loved that Naomi saved Ollie and Emiko with a fire extinguisher. Still not feeling Fyff but I loved the Flashbacks to 4 years ago.

Why? If you don't read the comics why would you care about Naomi on Arrow? Or DC killing Naomi to make way for Felicity?

While I'm not someone who is a superfan, I still enjoy a good story, especially when they feature strong, well-written female protagonists. I like the character Felicity, and since it seems as if Naomi is essentially the same, I have a feeling I would like her character too, which makes me want to see her in live-action format. I also am not a fan of killing off female characters to create more angst for the male hero, which was why I cited Gail Simone's Women in Refrigerators trope. (Full disclosure: I'm more of a Batman fan, and Barbara Gordon/Batgirl was my favourite heroine growing up, which influences my opinions here.)

That said, you're right, I'm missing a lot of the context because I am not a Green Arrow reader. So I care, but I'm not really that passionate about what happens to Naomi either -- I would just think it would be a waste to lose her if she is as likeable or important to Oliver as Felicity's CW character in the show. I also agree that having overly similar characters together risks making a hot mess -- hopefully this can be avoided by giving each of them more unique characteristics outside being Oliver's potential love interest and being good with computers.

Would it be possible to give Naomi some of the role of the original Felilcity Smoak and have her run a tech company outside of the daily interactions with Oliver?

@statsgirl, that would be interesting too, however, I think overall the general consensus may be correct to assume things aren't looking good for Naomi. It seems that having a smart, competent, female computer expert is like Highlander: there can only be one.

(edited)

While I'm not someone who is a superfan, I still enjoy a good story, especially when they feature strong, well-written female protagonists. I like the character Felicity, and since it seems as if Naomi is essentially the same, I have a feeling I would like her character too, which makes me want to see her in live-action format. I also am not a fan of killing off female characters to create more angst for the male hero, which was why I cited Gail Simone's Women in Refrigerators trope. (Full disclosure: I'm more of a Batman fan, and Barbara Gordon/Batgirl was my favourite heroine growing up, which influences my opinions here.)

I guess I'm just wired differently, if I don't read a comic or watch a TV Show I really don't care what happens. It has no actual impact on me so it doesn't phase me.

As to how popular/important Naomi is to Oliver and Green Arrow comics? I'd say not very. I'm basing that on every review I've ever read on the titles. Reviewers almost never mention anything Naomi related in their reviews and neither do the commentors.

I just read 7 reviews of 33, not one reviewer or poster talked about Naomi or Fyff in this issue. They talked about Diggle, Emiko even Brick (old school GA villain) not a peep about Naomi or Fyff.

ETA: I found a review from 23 which mentions that Naomi is the only hold over from pre-Lemire run. Kind of funny given the current topic.

http://batgorilla.dreamwidth.org/4610.html

The only holdover from the previous run is Naomi Singh, the tech expert responsible for Oliver's coolest trick arrows. She provides an ordinary human perspective, and fills a role somewhat similar to Felicity Smoak on Arrow.

- I found one of the origins of the "confirmation". It might be up to interpretation so not 100% solid.

http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/showthread.php?157768-The-Chloe-Oliver-Relationship-Thread-13/page494

veronicacris

@jtkrul why use Naomi if you can use Chloe Sullivan?

11 minutes

J.T. Krul

@veronicacris Excellent question, but your premise is wrong.

. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Well all this talk about the comic forced me to actually do what the show runners wanted me to and I bought the last couple issues to kind of catch up. It's seems universal - I love Diggle. Need more Diggle.

The way the end of the comic ended, the new writers are really in a position where they could make some radical changes if they wanted. Clear house, if they choose. Dig just needs to be brought in as a regular part of the team but I'd feel,bad if Naomi was set aside for Felicity for no good reason. That said, it seems clear writing a good reason wouldn't be hard. No mater what, I'm probably now going to be a regular comics reader. Crap. How did that happen?

Oh and about that, are the GA comics about the normal length to a comic? It just seems really short for something people wait months for.

(edited)

Comics are getting shorter and the prices keep going up. Marvel now wants 3.99 (32 pages) and 4.99 (48 pages). DC is only asking 2.99 (32 pages) and 3.99 (40 pages) for now. All 6 of the titles I buy are 32 pages.

I believe Lemiere has one more issue, #34 which comes out early August. He'll have to wrap up Broken in that issue and then AK/BS take over in 35.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Thanks, @Morrigan2575 -- a friend also pointed me to that same convo before I saw your reply. :) It does make sense that JT Krul wanted to use Chloe, but DC vetoed it because they were planning to give BQM the Smallville comics. I frankly admit that I love it that Chloe started the trend of Oliver Queen needing a computer expert lady in his life no matter what iteration.

I've fallen behind on Lemire's run -- I really don't like island stuff, be it on the comics or on the show -- but I'm probably catching up before AK/BS take over.

(edited)

I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Spoilers thread...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/DC-Arrow-Comics-1084098.aspx

DC Entertainment is bringing back the Arrow digital comic series:

[ArrowSeason 2.5 is being designed to fit seamlessly into the TV series' storyline. "We've tried to put in all the elements that people like about the show, so there will be Oliver and Felicity banter," Guggenheim promises. "We're going to see what's happened to Detective Lance after he collapsed in the season finale. A good chunk of the burning questions left over will get answered in the tie-in comic."

The comic, which features art by Joe Bennett with inks by Jack Jadson, will also set the stage for new elements to be seen on TV. "Particularly towards the latter half of the series, we're going to start introducing characters who you'll see in Season 3," Guggenheim teases. "If everything goes according to plan you'll start to see characters in the comics before they show up on TV."

The first chapter of Arrow: Season 2.5 is scheduled for a digital release on Monday, Sept. 1, followed by the first chapter of The Flash: Zero Year on Monday, Sept. 8. The series will alternate releases every Monday at readdcentertainment.com and via the DC Comics app, the iBookstore, Nook Store and Kindle Store.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

"We're going to see what's happened to Detective Lance after he collapsed in the season finale. A good chunk of the burning questions left over will get answered in the tie-in comic."

This is the worst.

If I want to read the comics, I'll read the damn comics. Don't try to drag me into it by giving me the info I watch your show to, you know, find out, by making me pay for a comic so I can see what happens to the characters I'm invested in. I mean, we've got Lance becoming Captain, we've got (if the synopsis is to be believed at all) Oliver to the point where he's ready to ask Felicity out, and the city LOVES Arrow now? This is important character/story development, and room should be made for it in the actual show.

There's a good way to tie the show and comics together, and stunts like this aren't it. How much are these issues going to be? If they were free, maybe I'd feel a *little* differently, but I'm guessing they're not.

(I'll buy them though, because I care and I want to know and I hate myself for that, ahhhhh)

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7

That's a sneaky thing to do. Answer questions in a comic people have to pay for so you don't have to bother on the show. If it's important it should be on screen and if it's not, why would I want to pay to read it?

• Love 1

In particular seeing Oliver come to the point where he feels comfortable to take Felicity on a date. That seems fairly important because up until now we weren't even sure he had deep feelings for her.

And Lance I don't mind not seeing him recovering. But certainly being made captain and how the city thinks the Arrow is it's darling now. Team Arrow telling Roy about his misdeeds. Why wait 5 months?

What in the world Laurel will want to do in the Arrowcave. It bums me out that I won't get to see some things straight after they return from Lian Yu.

• Love 1

What everyone is saying. Generally I'm ok with both tie-in things - books, comics, whatever - and with this show's tendency to say that it's happening in real time.

But in this case, it seems to me that the show has not one, but three major moments that should be covered in the show, and not skipped over just because the CW has told its affiliates it won't be providing new episodes until October.  There's whatever is happening to Laurel, which is of interest to Laurel and non-Laurel fans; there's Oliver and Felicity, and then to me, the HUGE biggie and the one I'm most interested in:  The city reaching the point where they agree that Arrow is a hero. That's the bit the show has been building up to for two whole seasons, and I want the emotional payout from it, you know?

(makes plans to buy the digital comics in September, thus encouraging this sort of behavior in the future. I may have a problem.)

• Love 5

Something tells me this is a last-ditch effort to keep the Arrow comic from being cancelled entirely. I read comics but I don't read Arrow: The Comic and won't pay to read Arrow: The Series, so we'll see how well it works out.

I'm just hoping someone on the interwebs will spoil it somewhere. I'm really not feeling the tptb right now to give them more of my money. And I really prefer to see stuff, especially with Oliver's development played out on screen

• Love 3

I thoroughly dislike the entire notion that the show is requiring viewers to also read the comics to explain things that the show won't be dealing with.  I've recruited people to watch this show - only 1 of them is a comic book reader. 

I appreciate the tie-ins but this is taking it way too far.

Seems par for the course, though, with KC's glib 'read the comics' comment to a fan - is this the attitude the EPs will be taking on as well?   

A TV show is about showing what's happening, not requiring people to do their homework before and after an episode to know what's going on.  There are plenty of other popular TV shows on right now that are based on books and movies that don't require that kind of effort from fans.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think they're requiring people to buy the tie-ins.  I don't think I'll be lost in 301 (If I actually watch it) because I didn't read the comics.  The Arrow digital comics are supposed to be a connector to give you some extra information.  It's like the stuff from S1 with Oliver giving Felicity/Diggle $1 Million dollars severance...was it necessary to know in S2?  Not really, IMO.  Did we need to know the how/why of Oliver leaving after the S1 finale to understand why he was on Lian Yu.

I think this is them same situation.  They'll give details as to how Lance becomes Captain or what's going on with Oliver/Felicity/Team Arrow, etc but it's not something that will impact the viewer's understanding of the situation in 301.  However, if they do go there, like BSG and Heroes used to do then I'd call shenanigans. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

I see what you're saying @Morrigan2575, but I disagree. Oliver becoming a hero was a journey we spent all last season following. No, I won't be lost if the whole city sees him as a hero in 3x01, but considering I've been invested in the journey for two years now, I'd like to see how we got there. Same with Oliver and Felicity (provided that isn't a trick or misdirection). We don't need episodes devoted to it, but it should be shown. Last we saw, he was using her as bait to trick Slade. What changed for him in the time since?

To me, the $1mm gift to Digg and Felicity is a throwaway detail. I could even consider Lance becoming Chief as throwaway (like Digg telling the Team that Lyla's pregnant). I don't REALLY need to see any of that. But character/story growth (which the hero business/date are) should be shown. Even if it's in a montage or something, I shouldn't have to pick up a tie-in to see it.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see ep 1 (or at least read one of 2.5ms comics to see what kind of things are included). For now it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 3
But character/story growth (which the hero business/date are) should be shown. Even if it's in a montage or something, I shouldn't have to pick up a tie-in to see it.

I agree with you but since I have no idea what will be included in the comics and what will happen in 301-302 it's hard to judge. 

I see what you're saying @Morrigan2575, but I disagree. Oliver becoming a hero was a journey we spent all last season following. No, I won't be lost if the whole city sees him as a hero in 3x01, but considering I've been invested in the journey for two years now, I'd like to see how we got there. Same with Oliver and Felicity (provided that isn't a trick or misdirection). We don't need episodes devoted to it, but it should be shown. Last we saw, he was using her as bait to trick Slade. What changed for him in the time since?

I'm with you entirely. I've spent a long time with Oliver seeing him overcome the need to kill to become a hero instead of a murderer. Now people love him, he apparently has open feelings for Felicity, Laurel is...Laurel.

Does Starling view him as Superman or Spiderman now? Is it a plane? Is it a bird? No it's the Arrow who used to kill but doesn't anymore so we love him and he's a hero. Totes. I really want to read said comic just because of developments I'm interested in and wanted to see happening.

One of the things I love about Oliver and Felicity's relationship is being able to watch it grow an change and adapt. I feel slightly cheated because I've seemingly lost 5 months of development on that front (from recent spoilers) because I didn't even know he had feelings for her (other than my little shipper heart).

In that way ep1 in s3 will be crucial really.

• Love 2

It's like the stuff from S1 with Oliver giving Felicity/Diggle $1 Million dollars severance...was it necessary to know in S2?  Not really, IMO.  Did we need to know the how/why of Oliver leaving after the S1 finale to understand why he was on Lian Yu.

It wasn't absolutely necessary for the show, but then even some of what they show on air isn't.

I think that it provided character information on Felicity, that even though initially she was only on board until Walter was found by the end of the season she was so into the mission that she spent her $1 million on re-fitting the lair rather than socking it away to grow interest. It also makes me wonder what Diggle did with his, did he put it into savings because he knows from his military days that you may find yourself unable to work and need that money?  It also tells me that even though Oliver was crushed by Tommy's death and only wanted to run away, he still thought enough about his team to make sure they were financially secure.  You can guess at it in fanfic but it's not the same thing as canon.

It's going to be even worse this season -- we won't get to see how Laurel reacts to Quentin being wounded trying to save her (will this bring on memories of Tommy dying for her?), we probably won't get to see Oliver and Laurel talking about him being the Hood/Arrow because it would be ridiculous to wait 5 months for that conversation, we won't get to see how Oliver first adapts to being homeless and with little money, or Diggle and Felicity looking for new jobs.  It may all get explained in the comics but the TV enactment is writer + actor + director, and that makes for much richer information.

• Love 1

DC Comics October solicits are out, and there's a description for the Arrow comics, which they're calling ARROW: SEASON 2.5 --

ARROW: SEASON 2.5 #1

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art by JOE BENNETT

Photo cover

1:5 Variant cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

On sale OCTOBER 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • Digital First

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

An all-new digital first series begins! Bridging the gap between seasons 2 and 3 of the hit TV series Arrow, Season 2.5 follows Oliver Queen’s story as he battles the Church of Blood, with the fate of Starling City hanging in the balance. Featuring an all-star cast of Oliver’s greatest allies and enemies including the Huntress, Black Canary and Deathstroke!

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/21560-dc-comics-october-2014-solicits-beyond-the-new-52.html

Grain of salt: this stuff is written by DC's marketing monkeys to convince retailers to carry the book, so them saying "Black Canary" probably doesn't mean anything other than them listing recognizable hero/villain names.

To me, the $1mm gift to Digg and Felicity is a throwaway detail.

Yes and no.  I have a problem when the show does or tells me something and I can't make sense of it.  I find it very problematic that I'm supposed to turn to tie in material to give me answers about the show.  In this case I spent months wondering how Felicity redid the lair. Did she come from money herself?  Did she have a fund left over from Team Arrow days?  Did she syphon off money from Queen Consolidated?   

I didn't find the answer until months later when someone brought it up in the forums and then I didn't know if that was an official explanation or just someone's fanwank.

Maybe it isn't a huge detail, but it affects my enjoyment of the show and the fact that they only give those answers in a paid format irks me.  I'm already paying for my programming through Dish.  I bought the first season of the show.  Shouldn't that be more than enough?

That said. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up season 2.5.  I need to know these things. 

• Love 2

We actually don't know if she spent the million, people assume she did but it wasn't in the comics, AFAIK. The S1 comics end right after The Undertaking, Oliver visits Laurel in the hospital, Lance tells him she's in bad shape. Then there's a Diggle/Oliver heart to heart where he talks about the severance (I believe) the last panel is Oliver boarding a plane and leaving town.

So the S1 comics don't explain anything about the 5 month time jump and it was never mentioned on the show. For all we know Felicity was using QC or Arrow related accounts that Oliver had set up in S1.

There really wasn't anything in S1 comics that would have affected the S1 storyline, they just added some information, why Laurel/Sara learned to fight, how Oliver got to Bludhaven to rescue Walter, stuff like that.

So will Deathstroke's appearance in 2.5 begin and end with someone tossing a steak down his hole, or...? I honestly can't wait until the inevitable continuity errors catch up with the show and either the comics become AU or the show is forced to explain away things that happened in the comics with zero context. Or maybe 2.5 will end up out of necessity as just over-hyped inconsequential footnotes and they're reaaaally desperate for readership. Probably that.

DC Comics October solicits are out, and there's a description for the Arrow comics, which they're calling ARROW: SEASON 2.5 --

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/21560-dc-comics-october-2014-solicits-beyond-the-new-52.html

Grain of salt: this stuff is written by DC's marketing monkeys to convince retailers to carry the book, so them saying "Black Canary" probably doesn't mean anything other than them listing recognizable hero/villain names.

yea, not gonna spend money on this (if they have important information to share they should do it for free $3 is alot of money for a college student). i'll simply take myself to the nearest book/comic book store (i do believe we have a handful of them in my town) camp in it for 20 or so minutes and just read it, put it back and go off to get myself a cup of coffee and ready for the new season- which i believe is premiering that same night)

all that saying in the hopes it won't be wrapped in plastic.

"Particularly towards the latter half of the series, we're going to start introducing characters who you'll see in Season 3," Guggenheim teases. "If everything goes according to plan you'll start to see characters in the comics before they show up on TV."

This is the only part I find troubling

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2011/green-arrow-35

Welcome new series writers straight from the hit TV show Arrow! Ollie is trying to put his life together after the grueling events of “Broken,” and finds himself back in Seattle on a mission from a mystery woman. Who is she – and what’s next for Green Arrow?

Issue description for #35 (AK's first GA issue).  I wonder if the "mystery" woman turns out to be Felicity?

LOL...so true, I also love the "mystery woman", "mysterious past" etc....those descriptions are so generic and almost seem boiler plate with comics and comic book shows...it's like mystery and painful/tragic pasts are a prerequisite for any character.

• Love 2

"Batman finally meets Agatha Smith, a straight talking woman with an obvious agenda whose entire past is easily found online. Unable to deal with this shocking change of plot, Batman goes bonkers, to the joy and relief of the Joker."

• Love 4