Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

if anyone is interested, the digital Arrow 2.5 comics will eventually be released in traditional form, you can order the issue starting with the October release.

My comic book guy has apparently dropped GA title since AK is taking it over, even though he loves Felicity and she may eventually show up, he's not going to bother with the title now that they dumped Jeff Lemiere.  DC has also changed creative teams on a lot of titles starting in October, including Batgirl and Catwoman.

I know a lot of people are unhappy with AK taking over the title (myself included).  I'm not sure what this will do to sales in October, it seems like DC is banking/hoping that tying the GA title to the Arrow universe will increase sales but I think they were better off trying to get Lemire to go in that direction rather than replacing him.  Although, maybe they did try and Lemiere said no, which is why they gave the title to AK?

Wow, that looks nothing like Stephen Amell...lol. I've only seen a few scans of the S1 comics but they seemed much closer to the actors in appearance.

The art work for the S1 comic varied WIDELY. Some of them looked exactly like SA, DR & EBR. Others they were completely unrecognizable. Diggle had it the worst (although the issue they gave Felicity a hooked witch nose was pretty bad) his skin tone, size, and facial appearance changed within the same issue - let alone from book to book. Oliver's age is the part of him that changes the most and going by those preview panels that will continue to happen. At times he seemed late teens - early twenties, others he looked to be pushing 40 years old. If they want to pull the Arrow TV audience into those stories they have to do a better job with the artwork. I understand that there will be different styles and abilities from artist to artist but I should be able to look at each character and immediately know who they are suppose to be.

Just one of the many, many reasons the S1 comics were a disappointment for me

(the others were having Laurel hit Tommy and then fall into bed with him and dumming down Felicity for a man because he showed interest in her.)

and I wasn't planning on continuing to buy it but they roped me in by saying they would show the lead up to S3 in them. I'll give it one more shot.

The 2.5 comics are coming out in September and the first Green Arrow Comic book with Felicity Smoak as a character is coming out on October 1st. I will probably be buying them both.

Do we know for a fact she'll be in #35?  I know that she's being introduced into the GA title when AK takes over the run and I know the solicits for #35 say a mystery woman gives Oliver and new mission but I'm wondering if we know for a fact that mystery woman=Felicity?  I suspected that it did but I was just looking for confirmation that #35 was her first appearance in the title.

Do we know for a fact she'll be in #35?  I know that she's being introduced into the GA title when AK takes over the run and I know the solicits for #35 say a mystery woman gives Oliver and new mission but I'm wondering if we know for a fact that mystery woman=Felicity?  I suspected that it did but I was just looking for confirmation that #35 was her first appearance in the title.

I am not sure but I do think that Andrew Kriesberg tweeted about Felicity being in #35. Let me check his older tweets.

They lured me in.  I've bought the last three GA comics.

The arc ends with Oliver back home in his city, vowing to not leave it exposed again and promising to do better and to set up a team to make that possible. He has a half sister who looks about 8 in the comics that he promises to train.

His current support staff didn't get killed off so that's nice. They set it up so that Naomi realizes that the other guy she works with to help GA (I've forgotten his name already) loves her and she seems open to the idea.

Diggle and Oliver reconcile and Diggle is back on back on the team.

Really, they left it so that they could very easily shuffle all the pieces around and make room for a Felicity. 

I'm strictly digital.  The only comic I'd ever purchased before was a comic for Firefly that filled in some time between where the show left off and the movie began. 

In a large way, I don't appreciate comics, the format.  I'm a reader and "reading" a comic takes so little time that it almost doesn't feel worth it.  I try to make myself study the picture and get the most out of the image but that's not me.  I'm the person who flips through friends photographs at warp speed and can NOT comprehend standing and studying a painting more than five minutes. 

BUT, I found a function on the app that lets me download the comics very helpful.  It goes close up to each important scene and then moves frame by frame, sometimes even within the frame to give reading the comic a more live action feel.  It forces me to slow down and see everything and since it also zooms in makes it more intense, so that's a nice plus over the hardcopy. 

I'm the exact opposite I hate the idea of digital comics, still can't get into digital books either. I love getting my books and having them in my hand. There's also the fun of going to the local comic book store and talking to other fans.

I'm a convert to digital books too though in that case it's more about storage and accessibility than real preference.  You can not really browse for a book or a new author on a digital platform.  It just isn't set up for finding the unknown and that is a real disadvantage. 

With the comics, I'm only looking for the specific issues so I don't miss out on the browsing.  I think you might find the digital version very pretty to look at but yeah, if you have the social aspect of the experience then why change? 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I'm strictly hard copy, myself.

I've read most of "The Kill Machine" tpb. Good stuff from Jeff Lemire. I can see why he'll be missed when he leaves the book. And I think it's easier to get into than his Animal Man stuff.

Question for any fans of GA: how do you feel about Arrow stuff bleeding into the book? Does it get annoying for comics-created characters getting short sticked, or is it a non-issue?

I only started reading GA title after watching Arrow so I can't answer your question in regards to GA but as a general comics fan, no I don't have a problem with it.

Without TV Shows/Movies/Cartoons, there would be no Jimmy Olsen, Harley Quinn, Renee Montoya, Terry McGennis (DC) or Firestar, Agent Coulson, X-23 (Marvel),  in the comics.

http://geektyrant.com/news/10-comic-book-characters-that-were-created-outside-of-comics

Not to mention no Barbara Gordon

The character was created by Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino. At the request of the producers of the 1960s Batman television series, DC editor Julius Schwartz called for a new female counterpart to the superhero Batman that could be introduced into publication and the third season of the show simultaneously. The character subsequently made her first comic book appearance as Batgirl in Detective Comics No. 359 titled, "The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl!" (1967) by writer Gardner Fox and artist Carmine Infantino.[1] Written as the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon, her civilian identity is given a doctorate in library science and she is employed as head of Gotham City Public Library, as well as later being elected to the United States Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gordon

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

ugh! to the comics pics. first Oliver looks nothing like Stephen. now neither do Felicity and Diggle looks nothing like Emily and David.

right now my desire to even read it is going down. i have a thing that if you're doing a portrait of a person it should look like that person (unless it's obvious it's a "hack" drawing). i'll probably just end up searching for a review or synopsis someone did of the book when it comes out. :-/

It's most likely they can't draw the characters looking like the actors for legal/image rights reasons. They'd have to pay the actors to use their faces, and DC probably doesn't wanna do that. The Smallville comics sometimes get super close to the actors' likeness, depending on the artist, but it's never a perfect match.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2

It's most likely they can't draw the characters looking like the actors for legal/image rights reasons. They'd have to pay the actors to use their faces, and DC probably doesn't wanna do that. The Smallville comics sometimes get super close to the actors' likeness, depending on the artist, but it's never a perfect match.

maybe, but.. it's about the show, it's connected to the show. as far as i am concerned this a part of the show- especially since they're saying it will fill in gaps between the seasons.

i would have accepted even a close likeness, this is not even close.

Ugh, sorry everyone i'm overly bitchy and emotional today and this is giving a great way to "punch" something without having to physically punch something (unless you count my poor keyboard)

I'm just going to forget I saw these so I don't have to think that Felicity has been stress eating up to 350lbs in that last panel and that Diggle is now wearing pink eye shadow. 

They have to do better with the art work if they want to pull the TV fans over.

• Love 1

Hmm, I thought the panels and characters were nicely done.  I've come to accept the legal reason why they only resemble the actors so that's ok.  I guess my eye isn't seeing the issue with Felicity in the last panel and the picture of Diggle is too small for me to really come up with much of an opinion. 

Just read issue #34, Jeff Lemiere really is a great writer, beautiful wrap up to his story arc. We have one more Lemiere issue in September, tied to the Futures End crossover. I'm going to miss Lemiere and Sorrentino, I hope AK doesn't destroy the title.

Here's one more pic from the comics:

screen-shot-2014-08-09-at-3-09-47-pm.png

Source:  

‘Arrow’ EP shares sneak peek at Felicity and Diggle in digital tie-in comics

Posted on August 9, 2014, by The CW Source

http://cwtvsource.com/2014/08/09/arrow-ep-shares-sneak-peek-at-felicity-smoak-in-digital-tie-in-comics/

Ok, in that pic Felicity does look like a linebacker.  I think they need to tap the artistic talents of the fan base.  I've seen soooo much better. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I already put my order in for October.  The artwork is going to take some getting used to, not bad (at all) just a very different Oliver than what Sorrentino drew.

And yeah, Felicity's skirts are too short...so I guess that settles the question "Is Felicity the mystery woman giving Oliver a new mission?"  LOL

ETA: Thanks for bringing this over.

ETAA: Found another link on twitter, if I'm reading this correctly, guy with black hair is Malcolm Merlyn?

http://insidepulse.com/2014/08/13/olicity-in-new-52-channel-52-reveals-malcolm-merlyn-felicity-smoak-join-john-diggle-in-dc-comics-green-arrow-in-time-for-cw-arrow-season-3-spoilersish/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by Morrigan2575

According to this article, Felicity and Malcolm Merlyn are gonna be featured in the Green Arrow comics starting October:

http://insidepulse.com/2014/08/13/olicity-in-new-52-channel-52-reveals-malcolm-merlyn-felicity-smoak-join-john-diggle-in-dc-comics-green-arrow-in-time-for-cw-arrow-season-3-spoilersish

Thanks for the link - that's a really interesting article.  The new comics' images of Felicity and Diggle look nothing like their depictions on the CW Arrow Facebook page (shown in the article).

Pic of Roy from the digital comics...

bu3jdf0ceaegurh-large.jpg?w=428&h=264&cr

‘Arrow’ EP shares sneak peek at Roy Harper in digital tie-in comics

http://cwtvsource.com/2014/08/12/arrow-ep-shares-sneak-peek-at-roy-harper-in-digital-tie-in-comics/

Edited by tv echo

So Felicity is a sexy librarian stripper? That's why it's hard for me to read comics all the women look like they should be working on a pole not saving people. The men get to be covered head to toe but the women wear the least amount of clothing possible. That's probably why I mostly read X-Men because most of the time the women have clothes on.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
That's probably why I mostly read X-Men because most of the time the women have clothes on.

Storm, Goblin Queen, White Queen, Boom Boom/Meltdown, Magic, Viper and Psylocke would beg to differ.  Probably more but those are the ones that come to mind.  As for Felicity's look...it's comics, female characters will always be drawn to look like sexed up male fantasies. Even when female characters that are fully clothed are drawn in sexy poses or have insane proportions...my personal favorite, 12 year old Jubilee 5'1, Chinese American tween drawn with triple D boobs and an itty bitty waist. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

Yeah, I wish they'd give Felicity a skirt a couple of inches longer, but at least it's something she wears on the show, and it's been pointed out by other characters, even. I'm just glad her boobs aren't bursting out of the shirt, to be honest.

Btw, have you guys seen the upcoming redesign for Batgirl's uniform? It's fantastic!

http://www.mtv.com/news/1864359/batgirl-exclusive-dc-comics/

du2dc0cjd0kbjaiberdb.jpg

No idea if this next run will be good -- they're taking over Gail Simone, and she kinda writes the best Babs ever -- but the new look gives me hope.

• Love 4

I actually don't like her new outfit it's too retro reminds me of the Batgirl outfit from 60's Batman series.  Which is ironic since I used to love Batgirl in the 60's show, would get so excited when the little motorcycle ran across the credits.  LOL

Btw, have you guys seen the upcoming redesign for Batgirl's uniform? It's fantastic!

http://www.mtv.com/news/1864359/batgirl-exclusive-dc-comics/

No idea if this next run will be good -- they're taking over Gail Simone, and she kinda writes the best Babs ever -- but the new look gives me hope.

Major like! I saw this awhile back and loved it! it is realistic and age appropriate (isn't she like 19?); then i did the mistake of reading the comments of the article it was posted in (not the mtv one you posted i think it was a comic book website), i felt zero surprise that all the male commenters were annoyed at the change of outfit, but the women were mostly happy. i don't read comics, preciously for the reasons you wrote, i can't get over the EE breasts (I say EE because I know a couple of petite women who are DD, and none of them are as big as the comic book women so no way the comic book versions are DD) on a very small frame.

According to this article, Felicity and Malcolm Merlyn are gonna be featured in the Green Arrow comics starting October:

http://insidepulse.com/2014/08/13/olicity-in-new-52-channel-52-reveals-malcolm-merlyn-felicity-smoak-join-john-diggle-in-dc-comics-green-arrow-in-time-for-cw-arrow-season-3-spoilersish

And if we go by that preview image, Felicity's skirts ARE still too short. *g*

and excuse me while i go jump up and down from join at Malcolm joining too. I bet Barrowman was besides himself!!

the skirt is short but not too much (hey at least it's not a leotard!), overall she looks better than the Arrow comics version Felicity- to be honest. Plus outfits can be changed. i'm just happy her breasts are in her shirt and look a somewhat normal D or DD size to her frame (as i said above i know DD petite women, so she's actually kind of accurately drawn). she looks smoaking (pun intend) but in a good way. hopefully they can maintain it, but yea add an inch or two to the skirts dear sketcher. would it kill yea?

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

I think it's just a combo of the large eyes and the lack of comic mandated gag boobs.

And it's still weird to me that they're streamlining Green Arrow and Arrow into a big green pile. If I actually read Green Arrow it would probably really bother me.

Edited by JayKay

It seems as though the comics are trying to mirror the relationships on the show (Felicity/Oliver/Digg). IDK about any of you, but if I were a comic reader, I don't think I would be happy about that. I think it's wise to keep the comics and tv show separate.

Bring on the comic fanboys calling this fan pandering *rolls eyes*

I'm surprised DC doesn't just launch a separate Arrow title with tie-ins the show and keep the other Green Arrow comic as is. Lord knows there's a ton of separate Batman titles.

(Disclaimer: I think re: Batman. I'm only reading Marvel right now with one DC exception (Grayson) and I don't think I will continue because I don't want to see Dick Grayson as a spy. I want Nightwing back.) 

I think the comics and the show should remain separate. Different mediums and all. Now, them doing a special comic based on the show, apart from the regular series, is fine so long as they make it clear it has no impact on the main comic.

Honestly, the Green Arrow comic has to do something to improve it's numbers. It averages around 23,000 copies sold each month and is 128th most popular seller (for July). The comic fans can complain about "fan pandering" to the TV show or to a character or to a relationship but if they don't do something to change those numbers it will go the way of the BOP comic. They are banking on the large Felicity and Diggle and the Team Arrow Dynamic following to improve sales. It's a good theory. I'll be interested to see if they can pull it off.

Comic sales info. http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-07.html

Edited by Orion
  • Love 3

As a Green Arrow comic book reader, I have no problem with it.  As a general comic book reader I have no problem with it.  Comics have a very long history of including TV/Movie characters into their universe.  If Comics never included characters from TV Shows or Movies, there would be no Batgirl, no Jimmy Olsen, on Harley Quinn no Firestar, no X-23, no Coulson, etc, etc, etc.  Comics have been doing this for years, both Marvel and DC.

Also, I haven't seen many comicbook readers complain about Felicity or Diggle being added to the comics.  Most of the complaints have been leveled against AK and the fact that he's replacing Jeff Lemiere.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

I've been reading GA on and off for a few years now, and the supporting cast of the book has changed so many times, this is just gonna be another time it happens. Except this time, they're adding characters I already care about, so: bonus.

Also, I haven't seen many comicbook readers complain about Felicity or Diggle being added to the comics.  Most of the complaints have been leveled against AK and the fact that he's replacing Jeff Lemiere.

This has been my experience as well. Comic fans are pissed Lemire is leaving, and the consensus I've seen is the majority of readers don't trust AK's writing bc they hated his previous comic book work. The only people I've seen complaining that Felicity being added the comics = fanservice are the same people who complain about the same thing in the show [also, super double standard alert! Nobody said anything when Diggle got added to the comics months ago. Why is Felicity fanservice but Diggle isn't? Oh, right, bc it's only fanservice when it has to do with lady characters and romance. Ugh. #feminiiiiiist].

Also, accusing DC of fanpandering is a notion I find pretty hilarious, considering their  looooo[...]ooong history of pissing fans off, instead of catering to them.

• Love 6

It's not like the Green Arrow comic readers are clamoring for crossovers. I don't like to address the pandering concept in general since it's entertainment and we're consumers anyway, but adding the characters isn't appeasing a certain fan base. If it's about potentially increasing readership, fair enough, but I still think in the long term it could be looked at as a cash-grab. But I guess that's where the medium's at now.

I'm more curious about if these writers will manage to trainwreck Felicity in the comics since they won't have the actors around to elevate their material.