Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Lost Hours

greenbean

Kiera, injured during her and Brad's escape from the future soldiers, has a renewed desire to return to her son in the future. Brad reunites with the future soldiers in a bid to gain their trust and work from the inside. Alec gets revenge on Kellog by hacking into Piron which causes unexpected consequences and revelations.

The story picked up well from where it finished in S3.

I guess things are building to send Kira home after all. I thought the scene where she woke up in her timeline was touching. It actually fooled me. I thought the story would continue from there, but it was her implant.

I didn't realise I missed a bunch of these characters until I saw them. Love Kellog and Garza. It's such a shame the show didn't become bigger, there's a sense of "what could have been" when watching.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 8

Kellog and Garza are my favorite kind of villains.  They really aren't redeemable but they are relatable.

I might like Brad more if I knew they had 2 full seasons left, but with just 6 episodes, I'm not really feeling it.  I did like the Alex/Kiera interaction and the reference to the barn.

ETA: I forgot to mention the new special effects.  I liked them.  I didn't like that it made Kiera more vulnerable (for the most part) but from a technical perspective, they made sense.

However, I am going to be really upset if either the whole series was a CMR simulation or old Alex makes her think it is.

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 1

Towards the end of the episode, did anyone else get a flashback to Kira's first season (I think) hook up with Kellogg and think that was Chekhov's Flask of Love that Carlos offered Kira?

What exactly is the agenda of the bad guys in the super suits other than killing Kira?

I mean: What future are they supporting and who sent them (i.e., future Kellogg or future Sadler)?

I'm assuming it has to be Kellogg since nice Alec survived.

It's such a shame the show didn't become bigger, there's a sense of "what could have been" when watching.

I've thought (if not always posted) the same sentiments from nearly the beginning. *sigh* This show is like an old boyfriend. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
I didn't realise I missed a bunch of these characters until I saw them.

I think I screamed whenever a different character came on screen (Garza! Jason! Carlos! Lucas! Kellogg!) I just love this cast of characters. 

I was feeling the premiere from the word Go. Love that it picked up right where things left off at the end of last season. Seeing Carlos and Keira working together again was great. And I see Kellogg is still carrying a torch for Keira. 

It was just so nice to have the gang back together again. I'm just going to remain in denial that we only have five episodes left.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 6

I got a kick out of seeing the motley crew of people at Alec's apartment that had all been at odds with each other in the past: Lucas, Emily, Julian, Jason…

And the fake future scenario Kiera's CMR dreamed up was kind of hilarious in how it invented a 3-year time lapse, all so they could use the actor that plays Sam. Kid's gotten huge!

• Love 5

Yes to the pleasure of seeing all the characters again, although I miss Travis and Sonia (yes, Betty too.)

I think the Kellogg Chorus is there to give Kellogg the Big Win so that he doesn't end up as a mere player in an internecine war that really screws up good living. 

The future tech is supposed to be the reinforcements that gives present day Kellogg everything, I think. The protector is a target because she's an obstacle to his total domination of all he sees. 

On one level, I would like to see Keira find her way back home, and that would be very satisfying. But on another level, her home is a really crappy future. I guess it's better than KelloggWorld, but what kind of standard is that? I would like to see somebody find a different way to something better. Old Alec had coopted Liber8, partly by using his old connection with Julian, but it is still anybody's guess as to what Old Alec wanted. The characters who want something different from the status quo need to step up. 

The traveler and Curtis are still wild cards, but I'm not sure wlld cards always make for a good game.

• Love 1

After the mess of timelines from season 3 (and that felt like ages ago), I couldn't remember what was going on, but I was happy to see all the characters again. I'm hoping they find a way to bring back Sonya for one last appearance before the series ends. People never truly die on time travel shows.

They freaked me out with that short scene with Keira waking up back home. If everything had been a suit-induced coma sim dream, I would have punched the TV. I'm glad it was only motivation for Keira to want to go home-- though I'm a bit confused because now that she changed the past, does her future and her child still exist? This is what confused the hell out of me last season with all the shifting time lines and whatever it is Curtis and his Traveler friend are trying to accomplish.

Then again, I don't care as long as Keira and Carlos are back to being partners, Alec is once again guiding her from a computer screen, Garza is causing chaos, and Kellog is smarming it up.

Did Syfy always show Continuum at 11pm? It's such a late time slot!

• Love 1

I think I screamed whenever a different character came on screen (Garza! Jason! Carlos! Lucas! Kellogg!) I just love this cast of characters. 

Chen! Who has switched allegiances so many times I have no idea what you are doing!

And Dreadlock guy! Who I think we have only seen for five seconds but you are apparently important!

And the return of kickass Emily!

One of the things I like about this show is the fact that the writers put a lot of effort into constructing all of the various timelines and, as messy as any story about time travel will be, have paid a lot of attention to detail. For example, I suspect Brian Markinson won't show up as Dillon, but appreciated the mention of his name because his character was so important to the story. Same thing with Sam. His appearance so early makes me think Keira won't make it back to her timeline, but I liked how the writers used him to acknowledge her motivation.

I'm gonna miss Rachel Nichols running around in that bodysuit.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

I'm so glad the show is back.  Loved seeing all the characters again.  I still don't like Brad and hope he doesn't end up with Kiera.  I'd rather see her with Carlos.  And I don't remember the show being on at 11pm either. 

It was on at 10pm last season.

I would also like Kiera + Carlos. They have great chemistry. I loved their scene in his office that ended with the hand-holding on his foot.

Everybody teasing Kiera about Brad being her boyfriend was kind of hilarious, though.

• Love 2

In terms of who Keira gets with, I'm pretty open. I like her with Brad and with Carlos (they just have such an amazing partnership). And I am that person who loved the little flirtation she had with Kellogg in S1 and S2. As long as she doesn't get back with that boring husband in 2077, I'm good with whoever they put her with.

• Love 5

The choreography in this show is excellent. It was something I found frustratingly bad in Dark Matter. You can tell the actors work hard, and the kidnapping scene with Emily was thoroughly enjoyable. It's nice that they got 6 episodes to wrap up the series, even though I would have liked more.

• Love 2

I've always loved the fight scenes for this show. Especially when it's Rachel Nichols doing it, she's so tall that her size makes it believable when she's kicking the asses of several dudes. I find Emily less believable even though they stage it well.

• Love 1

The choreography in this show is excellent. It was something I found frustratingly bad in Dark Matter. You can tell the actors work hard, and the kidnapping scene with Emily was thoroughly enjoyable. It's nice that they got 6 episodes to wrap up the series, even though I would have liked more.

I've always loved the fight scenes for this show. Especially when it's Rachel Nichols doing it, she's so tall that her size makes it believable when she's kicking the asses of several dudes. I find Emily less believable even though they stage it well.

I just watched the second episode and if you like the choreographed fight scenes...  :-)  

• Love 1

I really wasn't feeling this episode. After so much of last season was about Kiera accepting her life in the present, the quick turn around since the show was canceled was a little too much for me. I can already see that they are dropping the Kiera/Brad relationship, which I really grew to like.

• Love 1

I was surprised I was able to follow along as well as I did because it's hard to remember everything that went on last season. The brief recap they showed before the episode definitely helped. In a way I'm glad there's only six episodes and they have a definite target date for an ending.

What exactly is the agenda of the bad guys in the super suits other than killing Kira?

The whole bit with Brad and the future soldiers is the hardest part for me to grasp because that seems like such a blur from last season. Near as I can figure, future Kellogg sent them back because Brad's signal meant he failed to do whatever he was sent back to do, which seems to be making sure nobody screws up Kellogg's future. The thing is, in the flash-forwards to Brad's future, wasn't Kellogg just as young looking as he is now? Does that mean he time traveled back to the future? That's the part I don't get.

And who is in the hologram Kellogg turned on at the end? Future Kellogg? Or weren't we supposed to see?

• Love 1

The Kellogg in the flashback-forward was older. Gray beard. And that's who was in the hologram that Kellogg turned on at the end.

As for Kiera seemingly backtracking on her acceptance of never seeing her son again... I liked her better with the fatalist attitude but I don't really find it out of character for her to backslide after having that CMR-induced hallucination. She'd accepted it because she had a "mission," but that's seemingly done now and, however unlikely it'll be for her to get back to Sam (I noticed that she just wants to get back to the kid, no mention of the husband), what else is there for her to do? She's never really connected with anybody in the past. Carlos is the person she's closest to, I would say, but it's not enough for her to want to stay. So far.

• Love 1

I was a bit disappointed by this episode. Hadn't even considered that the entire series could be a CMR hallucination - that better not happen!

I get that missing her husband and son are huge reasons for Kiera to want to go back, but she surely knows by now that her world is not better than the present (or even tidier, what with the drug abuse and folks losing their lives because they have too much "life debt."). I would have appreciated some thought that she wanted to make changes in the future. Kiera and Garza as a team, I can get behind that in 2077!

Kellogg didn't seem to know he was a leader in an alternate future, I can't remember if last season he was clued in. But the hologram seemed to be Kellogg, klan leader, so he will know now. Considering how much he loves his current comforts, what are the odds he pushes to avoid that future?

Slightly off topic - I was watching Caprica last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see multiple actors on both shows! Emily, police captain and Julian.

Edited by Mrs peel
  • Love 1

OK, I'm a week behind here, but did anyone else hear Alec say to Keira "Brad says to get out," during the scene in future-soldiers hideout, when he was talking about Jason? Or did I somehow mishear that? And what happened to the sonic screwdriver thingy that she stole because Alec and Jason told her to? Did the soldiers take it back when they caught her, or did she get away with it?

If I'm not mistaken Dredlock guy is the guy who went back 1000 years and started the Freelancers. I think Chen is still on the original mission, get the time line as close to it was without time travel. That means a lot of Alec's future would be rewritten.

It's possible for Kiera to get her son back and fix the timeline. There's no causality out of the timeline. Keira is still there even when there's no Kiera in future 2077. What Alec should do is pluck Sam out of the future before it ends.

I still have a little theory that future time travel is not possible. We've yet to see it in all the time jumps in this series.

• Love 1

I was a bit disappointed by this episode. Hadn't even considered that the entire series could be a CMR hallucination - that better not happen!

I get that missing her husband and son are huge reasons for Kiera to want to go back, but she surely knows by now that her world is not better than the present (or even tidier, what with the drug abuse and folks losing their lives because they have too much "life debt."). I would have appreciated some thought that she wanted to make changes in the future. Kiera and Garza as a team, I can get behind that in 2077!

Kellogg didn't seem to know he was a leader in an alternate future, I can't remember if last season he was clued in. But the hologram seemed to be Kellogg, klan leader, so he will know now. Considering how much he loves his current comforts, what are the odds he pushes to avoid that future?

I think you are on to something especially with the CMR hallucination. Just a theory. Assuming the timeline has been interfered with ie a repeating loop Alec knows what happened in the past and knows Kiera is the key. He starts grooming/prepping her future to coincide with the original Lib8 escape because he knows that will change the future. To keep Kiera motivated he has to give her a reason to complete the mission/stop Lib8 ie a CMR illusion of son/family although early flashbacks and first epi seem to contradict that. Eh, just a theory.

Kellog is a huge wildcard here simply because his mother/grandmother was killed in S1 which probably was the first big alteration in the timeline swinging a different/new timeline to Kellogs favor or influence.

Question is who really wants the dark future the most-Alec, Kellog or freelancers.

When the future soldiers referred to the  female soldier from the future(one of the doctors from Helix) did they refer to her as Garza. One of them said where's so & so after she realized something was going on so she pretend walked casually toward for the weapon. Garza's mom?