Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Cake

• Start Topic

it's restaurants, hotels, and other food outlets outsourcing desserts and not investing in a proper pastry kitchen, like dessert is an afterthought and not its own entity. Even standalone high-rated restaurants do this and that's something that is more expected from substandard chain restaurants.

No disrespect intended, but I remember reading a newspaper article a few months ago that said desserts are really a loss-leader for a restaurant. They offer them because they're expected to, but don't really make a profit from them.

And seriously, when Paul Hollywood calls someone a Baker with a capital B, it's the highest accolade he can give.

• Love 1

I think the seasons are screwed up because PBS didn't know if this show would fly here in the US.  But, it's become a big hit, so they're going to go backwards to catch us up with previous seasons.  I wonder why the US version of this show tanked so badly?

When I saw some of the angel food cakes, they looked so heavy and with bad texture.  Angle Food is supposed to be light as a feather and shouldn't plop out of the pan.  It's not an easy cake to do, but when done right, it's wonderful.  My mom used to make this cake, cut it in one inch layers, and then put chocolate whipped cream filling between the layers.  Then the whole cake was frosted with 7 minute icing.   YUM !!!!!

The one thing that drives me crazy with this show is how the judges and hosts bug the bakers.  When you're nervous and under time constraints, they need to find someplace to be and not bother them with their inane comments.  

Just an FYI to the other US PBS viewers so they don't make the same mistake I did. Apparently the first episode of season 6 (the current season in the UK) is also called 'Cake'. So if you go in from the main menu directly to a thread, make sure it's S04E01: Cake and not S06E01: Cake.

• Love 2

I think the seasons are screwed up because PBS didn't know if this show would fly here in the US.  But, it's become a big hit, so they're going to go backwards to catch us up with previous seasons.  I wonder why the US version of this show tanked so badly?

I think part of the problem was the judges. Paul Hollywood really didn't seem to understand American tastes. One of the contestants made a sweet dish with bacon, & he had never heard of using bacon in something sweet before. The Southern dishes seemed to confuse him too, so I never felt like he knew what he was doing. Also, the fact that Paul & Marcela had an affair & it became very public probably turned off some viewers. 

I thought Jeff Foxworthy was great as a host though, I kept hoping they would bring the show back with him but different judges.

• Love 10

Just an FYI to the other US PBS viewers so they don't make the same mistake I did. Apparently the first episode of season 6 (the current season in the UK) is also called 'Cake'. So if you go in from the main menu directly to a thread, make sure it's S04E01: Cake and not S06E01: Cake.

Additionally, the season 6 threads also have a spoiler tag. I'll untag it once PBS shows it.

• Love 2

I think PBS really could capitalize on the success to float another american version. 

We have an old season but it is good to share with friends and family - my sister now wants an angel cake pan - Sandra Lee kind of ruined them for her, but the baking show makes her want to try them again. 

It's strange, I feel instantly invested in season 4 - the folks really seem nice to each other - it's great wind down entertainment.

It's strange, I feel instantly invested in season 4 - the folks really seem nice to each other - it's great wind down entertainment.

The theme music and all the wonderful things shown in the introduction just make me happy - and hungry!

Additionally, the season 6 threads also have a spoiler tag

Athena, I know they do, but I went in from the Content You Follow screen where you can click directly on the thread with the most recent comment. That shows the thread title but doesn't tell you if it's got spoilers.

• Love 1

As a pastry chef, I can attest that that attitude is prevalent within the industry. If it's not constant snide insinuations that I'm lesser than and not well-rounded (a bunch of bullshit because aside from desserts and other baked goods, I can easily cook savory. I can dice up a mirepoix, cook risotto, grill meat, etc. Meanwhile, find me a savory chef who can whip up custards, cakes, mousses, etc. I'll wait), it's restaurants, hotels, and other food outlets outsourcing desserts and not investing in a proper pastry kitchen, like dessert is an afterthought and not its own entity. Even standalone high-rated restaurants do this and that's something that is more expected from substandard chain restaurants.

Testify! Where were you when I was watching the most recent season of Masterchef Australia and posting in that forum? ;) Quite a bit of savory snobbery and putting down of pastry chefs vs. savory chefs there. RME. Therefore, I'm glad this show celebrates baking and puts a spotlight on making desserts, because that attitude is so annoying and common place. I rarely even eat dessert, but I highly respect the science and technicality that goes into it. This show is so fun to watch and I feel like the judging is usually pretty fair.

• Love 4

No disrespect intended, but I remember reading a newspaper article a few months ago that said desserts are really a loss-leader for a restaurant. They offer them because they're expected to, but don't really make a profit from them.

And seriously, when Paul Hollywood calls someone a Baker with a capital B, it's the highest accolade he can give.

That's because most restaurants and restaurant owners don't understand their market or clientele and how to give them well rounded menus and meals.  So many restaurants serve such ginormous portions that dessert isn't even a feasible possibility.  Cutting down portion size and offering smaller dessert portions have been an ongoing trend the last 5-6 years, and thank god.  The massive chocolate layer cake situation in chain restaurants was fucking DIRE.

I think savory chefs bag on pastry chefs because they are jealous.  Seriously.  Watch Top Chef and the collective shitting of pants every time they are given a dessert or baking challenge.  Ha ha, I laugh just thinking about it.

I'd love an American version of this show, but I'm afraid we'd ruin the charm. 

Edited by larapu2000
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

That's because most restaurants and restaurant owners don't understand their market or clientele and how to give them well rounded menus and meals.  So many restaurants serve such ginormous portions that dessert isn't even a feasible possibility.  Cutting down portion size and offering smaller dessert portions have been an ongoing trend the last 5-6 years, and thank god.  The massive chocolate layer cake situation in chain restaurants was fucking DIRE.

Yep. When the appetizers and entrées are all rich, fat-laden, heavy, and served in huge portions, most people can't fathom having dessert. Appetizers should not be fried or smothered in cheese and cream. Nor cost as much as an entrée. Entrées should not be 2.5 meals and smothered in cheese and cream.

One of the most egregious examples is The Cheesecake Factory. It's right there in the name; the whole point of going there is the dessert and yet, their entrées are gigantic and doesn't really put people in the mood to eat cheesecake.

I think savory chefs bag on pastry chefs because they are jealous.  Seriously.  Watch Top Chef and the collective shitting of pants every time they are given a dessert or baking challenge.  Ha ha, I laugh just thinking about it.

That and the fact that, at least where I work, we don't always have to wait until day of to prepare our items. We can get stuff done well in advance so when the time comes, we just need to plate it up. We've gotten a fair few of the snide comments that we have enough downtime to take our corporate- and government-mandated unpaid breaks (that we very rarely take anyway) while they're running around to get stuff done on time (note: I work in a hotel). What's worse is that the executive sous chef is the primary source of the shitty comments, so I can't fire back unless I want to get fired.

1) Paul was being snarky when he said that.

2) He absolutely meant it as a complement.

Can I say that I hate angel food cake? Just don't like the spongy texture or the taste. (Or lack of taste, it's been quite a few years since I've had one.)

That's why some people (me!) use it for triffle. I chop it up and layer it with pudding, berries, and chocolate. Or yogurt if pudding sounds too heavy. I don't care for whipped cream.

Blasphemy! :-)

it just tastes like sugar air.  I don't care for cotton candy either.  But a good egg custard I can dig into.  Must be  texture thing. 

By the by, what is "clotted cream"?  I've always wondered.  I guess I could go google, but ya'll seem smart.

My local PBS buried this somewhere on the schedule so I just binge watched online. Twice the Paul! ;-) so glad to see my blue-eyed hottie back. I really like Kimberly (such a great smile) and Ron (or is it Rod?) the rocket scientist. I loved the bear decoration named Paul!

On 9/8/2015 at 6:53 AM, Bad Example said:

I've got an immediate dislike for Negative Ruby.  The oft-seen British downplaying of skills is one thing, she just seemed like an attention-seeking Debbie Downer.

I’ve been binge watching all the seasons (cause, quarantine), and I hadn’t realized just how close we had gotten to a Ruby less season. It would have seemed so much lighter. She just seemed to pull the whole season down. 

• Love 3

So late to this topic, but as a dessert person I hate that restaurants put the desserts on a separate menu and give it to you later (and sometimes don’t even bother to bring it but make you ask for it).  If there is a dessert I want, I will go lighter on my entree and skip the appetizers completely.  Asking for the dessert menu first gets you a big side-eye from new people in your group, and sometimes husband needs me to look somewhat sane about sugar and chocolate.

Poor Toby-the pressure really got to him, and then he just spiraled, but he still managed to keep his smile.  He could be a model for Ruby.  I was sorry to see him go, but somewhat relieved that he left while retaining all his fingers.

• Love 1