Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E21: Episode 21

• Start Topic

Yeah, I feel like recent seasons of BB have kind of omitted stuff like the Have/Have Not situation, which used to be cause for much drama. I mean, it tended to be more like someone whining about how they've been on the losing side and been a Have Not for three weeks now and the slop is making them crazy. But it was SOMETHING. Between that and a lot of the interpersonal drama happening off-camera this season, I feel like the editors are really falling asleep on the job. 

Maybe they're TRYING to omit things so we feel like we have no choice but to pony up for the live feeds? Good luck with that one.

Also there used to be competitions for food that the Haves could eat.  I used to enjoy those too. Wine , beer vegetables meat etc all had to be won.

• Love 3

It's kind of a shame that HNs have become a volunteer thing - it used to be a great way to force non-allies to bond on some level, whether over something small like not getting to drink booze one night or something big like having to sleep together every night. And occasionally you'd have someone be an HN for a long time and their game would suffer because they were so sleep deprived and irritable. Last year, Frankie refusing to volunteer was the only HN-related drama we got. This year, none.

• Love 4

I don't like it when people throw around armchair diagnoses like "might be borderline autistic/Asperger's" but I have to say, it just might be true of Steve with what we've seen. 

Is somebody saying somebody is Borderline?

It's kind of a shame that HNs have become a volunteer thing - it used to be a great way to force non-allies to bond on some level, whether over something small like not getting to drink booze one night or something big like having to sleep together every night. And occasionally you'd have someone be an HN for a long time and their game would suffer because they were so sleep deprived and irritable. Last year, Frankie refusing to volunteer was the only HN-related drama we got. This year, none.

Still shaking my head.  On Survivor--as you say--there's considerable strategy involved with inviting people along on your rewards and MANY unexpected bonds are formed when people are randomly sorted or stranded in groups separate from their chosen alliances.

This show is on three times a week, FFS!  It's a mystery why the producers would waste an opportunity to develop an extra sub-layer of tension and skullduggery.

I'd tilt the dental chairs or reconfigure the glop until that volunteering nonsense tapered off.  C'mon, it's 500k.  "Oh, snap, I was forced to perform in a boyband."

Too Roman coliseum of me?

I keep forgetting to note my most curious moment:  Dentist Johnny telling Clay, "Okay, I'll do what you want, but that's not the best thing for my own game." 

I just don't understand these people.

Edited by candall

James' commentary during the HOH competition was hilarious.  It help make that arduous competition fun to watch.

One of my favorites, "Meg you might win this....if everybody quits" lol

Edited by SpringTulips
  • Love 3
Steve and John are both adorable, I don't care what anyone else says.

I'm right there with you. They may not be playing the best games, but it's refreshing to have such genuinely likable people in the house. 

• Love 5

'I've worked Black Friday. I know how to deal with Vanessa.' Um, that was awesome.

I heard it but I don't get it.  She's implying Vanessa is ... frantic for the best deals?  Seems like a reach.  

I don't like it when people throw around armchair diagnoses like "might be borderline autistic/Asperger's" but I have to say, it just might be true of Steve with what we've seen. I actually feel kind of sad for him, all alone in that lounge room talking to himself, the cameras, the glass bottles. Weird.

I'm always the cynical one but I feel like Steve is acting like that to be seen as more like Ian, probably at production's suggestion.  Like how I think Shelli is trying to be the next Rachel.  

I heard it but I don't get it.  She's implying Vanessa is ... frantic for the best deals?  Seems like a reach.  

That's a three-pointer.

I'm always the cynical one but I feel like Steve is acting like that to be seen as more like Ian, probably at production's suggestion.  Like how I think Shelli is trying to be the next Rachel.

I would doubt that solely because Steve has previously taken express action to minimize Steve/Ian comparisons, not enhance them. Heck, outside the House he normally goes by Steven; in the Game, however, he thought "Steven" sounded close enough to "Ian" to invite the drawing of unwanted parallels - and thus was "Steve" born.

• Love 1

Again, Austin's DRs are the absolute worst. Ever. Just show us a still photo of him with the audio of his commentary, and we'll have a better performance.

Best idea I've heard today. He keeps presenting himself as the voice of reason or the go-to narrator or some such, which, no. Why do we have to see him at all, BB? Why?

Also there used to be competitions for food that the Haves could eat. I used to enjoy those too. Wine , beer vegetables meat etc all had to be won.

Or they would compete to establish the menu for the whole house that week. It's been years since they did that, so bringing it back would at least be different, and new to many viewers.

Edited by Kris117
  • Love 5

Or they would compete to establish the menu for the whole house that week. It's been years since they did that, so bringing it back would at least be different, and new to many viewers.

I used to love seeing them go for the "beer and wine" category first before, say, meat. "Well houseguests we have won beer and wine and.... cereal for this week." Good times.

• Love 4

I used to love seeing them go for the "beer and wine" category first before, say, meat. "Well houseguests we have won beer and wine and.... cereal for this week." Good times.

Hey now, don't knock Budweiser on Frosted Flakes.

That kept some of my college buddies alive for years.

• Love 2

I don't miss the silly "vote for sardines and celery or tapioca and tartar" stuff.  Or the big key wheel.  It is kind of odd to have a 'have not' room/food and not see any of it but I guess that's supposed to entice people to pay for the extra content?  I don't know. 

I do think Vanessa has become a pain. I know I always think they're all acting but I feel like she's pretending to be an emotional, indignant hothead, and not doing a good job of selling it.  I think she overacts.  But maybe that's the real her, I don't know.  I would expect someone in her profession to be a good liar and actor and read a room well.  

I'm watching Survivor China right now and there was a pro poker player and a pro wrestler, but of reverse genders from BB.  Neither played well.  And the poker player annoyed the crap out of everyone his entire stay, and seemed to take pride in it.  I didn't get that strategy, either.  But I don't play poker.  

I would expect someone in [Vanessa's] profession to be a good liar and actor and read a room well.  

I'm watching Survivor China right now and there was a pro poker player and a pro wrestler, but of reverse genders from BB.  Neither played well.  And the poker player annoyed the crap out of everyone his entire stay, and seemed to take pride in it.  I didn't get that strategy, either.  But I don't play poker.

I do on occasion, and I don't necessarily see the poker player's applicable skill set (picking up on tells) as translating well - if at all - from a gaming table to the BB House:

• The timing issue. In a poker game, the time duration between identification and verification of a potential tell is minutes; in BB, the duration can be days or weeks. Unless the player in question has an eidetic memory, I dare them to recall so-and-so scratched behind his/her left ear when passing on that bit of info which was exposed as a lie a week later.
  • The intent to lie. In a poker game, the one thing you can count on your opponent having absolute knowledge of is the content of his/her hand; observing throughout the course of the game how they represent different types of hands is the fundamental basis of learning how to read another player. Not necessarily the case in BB, however; what if, by passing on second-hand information, they're telling you a lie they believe to be true? :)
  • Love 3

thanks for all the explanations.  This is the first season I've watched all the way through, and I had no idea about the room assignments or the Have/havenots stuff.   I wish they'd START the season explaining that stuff.  People like me, new to the show, have no idea of the rules.   

• Love 3

I miss the food comps, too.   As for the HNs, no volunteering should be allowed.  It should be determined within the food comp for the week or a separate contest.  

I loved the excitement of everyone working together to win good items.  A satisfying selection of food was not available in the pantry in those days; their fare was limited.   They were desperate to win things they could not get.  They craved things like popcorn and steak or Chinese food delivered.  

BB and Survivor would do well to take a look in the past and bring back things that were a success and entertained.  

Easy on the game twists, too.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I miss the food comps, too.   As for the HNs, no volunteering should be allowed.  It should be determined within the food comp for the week or a separate contest.  

I liked the way TPTB used to do the HN designations on occasion; first 3-4 people to drop out of the HoH competition were the HNs for the week. Very democratic, and - more importantly - it provided at least SOME disincentive for throwing the HoH comp.

• Love 9

I liked the way TPTB used to do the HN designations on occasion; first 3-4 people to drop out of the HoH competition were the HNs for the week. Very democratic, and - more importantly - it provided at least SOME disincentive for throwing the HoH comp.

Yes.  I had forgotten this.  I like it.  

• Love 1

I don't miss the silly "vote for sardines and celery or tapioca and tartar" stuff.  Or the big key wheel.  It is kind of odd to have a 'have not' room/food and not see any of it but I guess that's supposed to entice people to pay for the extra content?  I don't know. 

I do think Vanessa has become a pain. I know I always think they're all acting but I feel like she's pretending to be an emotional, indignant hothead, and not doing a good job of selling it.  I think she overacts.  But maybe that's the real her, I don't know.  I would expect someone in her profession to be a good liar and actor and read a room well.  

I play poker and there are A LOT of players that act just like Jean-Robert (ugh).  Not so many that act like Vanessa, in my experience, but I've watched her play (poker) she's the polar opposite of how she is in the house.  She's usually the calmest/quietest one at the table.  I think she has absolutely no clue how to translate poker logic to BB logic, and I think she thought it would be a lot easier to do. Hence all the "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SO AND SO IS DOING THAT... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!" To her, it legitimately doesn't. I get Vanessa. I also don't think I could ever play Big Brother well. I'm still rooting for her over many others though. 

Edited by yankee1151
  • Love 4

Hence all the "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SO AND SO IS DOING THAT... IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!" To her, it legitimately doesn't. I get Vanessa. I also don't think I could ever play Big Brother well. I'm still rooting for her over many others though. 

I seriously, SERIOUSLY cannot STAND the "it doesn't make sense" crap.

Probably because it became Zuckerman's clarion call in BB16. 

In THAT context, or course, "I don't understand, it doesn't make sense" directly translated in Amandaspeak to "How dare they not play the game the way *I* want them to, for my benefit???" - which is so stupid-brained as to beg for euthanasia.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1

The "It doesn't make sense" makes me wonder if they watch the show.  Though I guess if you're a professional game player of any sort and devoting your summer to it you'd study it.  I did feel a bit better when Vanessa ended what I think was her last "It doesn't make sense!" DR with the conclusion that if Becky isn't making deals, what it means is Becky isn't making deals WITH HER, which is a red flag she might be in trouble, which was (finally) astute.  

I like Vanessa.  She reminds me a ton of a niece of mine.  Who also often seems to be acting and is a genius.  I kind of wonder if that's how many quiet, contemplative types socialize in groups -- they play the part of an extrovert when it's called for.    

I, too, miss the food competitions. One of the few moments I enjoyed from BB8 was when they had a food competition where they had to pick the foods they were getting for the week. One of those was sweetbreads which the HGs thought meant cornbread, not the organ meats that was sweetbreads. And then we saw them trying to figure out how to eat them.

• Love 4

Oh, I had forgotten about that one! It was funny. Yes, sweetbreads are not equal to sweet breads.

Given that the lying in poker involves controlling your facial expressions rather than actively telling falsehoods, I can see where Vanessa's skills in that game haven't been translating into playing BB well over the past couple of weeks.

I can't believe no ones' mentioned this!  I loved that, at the start of the scene of Becky calling everyone up to see her HoH room, some of the women sang part of the theme for the room along with the music!  These are true fans to remember the music played during it!