Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Dare to Dream

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

The comment about Mia doing the choreography this year makes me wonder how much of the DCC choreography Judy actually does herself anymore? Does she even demonstrate any of it herself when she's teaching anymore? In the last episode we heard her talk the girls through the kickline, but it has me thinking. Have we ever seen her actually dancing on the show? Or does she always do it from a chair, Abby Lee Miller style? Granted, she's 50-something now, but it seems she is more like the assistant director than the choreographer. And does Charlotte actually have anything to do with the DCC after training camp is announced?

ETA

I don't think we've seen anyone NOT choose dance except for Jordan Daigle. If I recall correctly, she showed up at Kitty's finals prep session and when it was time for everyone to show their talent presentation, Kitty acted like Jordan was a loser for singing. For some reason I remember the little pink dress Jordan was wearing. Kitty reacted as if she was offended. Her attitude was almost like "how dare you NOT dance??? If you don't dance, you are a LOSER and you'll never make the team."

When did Jordan do this?? I'd be interested to go back and watch

But I'd find it very strange that they would allow singing when they want to showcase dancing

When did Jordan do this?? I'd be interested to go back and watch

But I'd find it very strange that they would allow singing when they want to showcase dancing

Season 7, her rookie year. I find it strange that they're not required to dance, and think anyone who chooses to sing instead had better be DAMN good to justify not doing a dance solo. From what I heard of Jordan's singing while she was a DCC, she was not a good enough singer to do that her rookie season and I always found it strange that they took her to camp. Edited by Oranaiche

Starr Spangler sang in the 2 hour original episode. Not very well, but at least she could dance.

I think she danced and tumbled, plus sang a line of a Shania Twain song. She's what I like to think some of the Toddlers and Tiaras girls grow up to be LOL. 

• Love 1

I would love to see someone do a "dramatic interpretation" for finals. LOL. Like a girl doing Hamlet's soliloquy would get them into training camp?

Judges: and what will you be doing for finals?

Finalist: I'll be doing an interpretation from Act 2 Scene 8 of Othello

• Love 9

I thought the singing audition was added after Jordan's year...no? And that it was in addition to the dancing, not in lieu of...

There were pictures of her singing at finals though, and I believe she was wearing heels so I don't see how she could have done any serious dancing?

• Love 1

I hope they show a good snippet of Kat, Holly, and Megan C.'s solos. Just a lot of solo footage in general. I liked how they did the 15 second Twitter videos this year, but it just wasn't enough! And I wish they would post footage of the girls who got chosen for camp after the episode airs or something.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

Anyway.

I hope they show a good snippet of Kat, Holly, and Meghan C.'s solos. Just a lot of solo footage in general. I liked how they did the 15 second Twitter videos this year, but it just wasn't enough! And I wish they would post footage of the girls who got chosen for camp after the episode airs or something.

They post videos of fan videos so I agree, I wish they put all the videos up for finals because I would love to see them! Especially girls like Holly

• Love 1

On the topic of choreography - I didn't care for Mia's that the semi-finalists did. It looked clunky and a bit disjointed. I know Mia has worked with Judy for awhile. Is this her first time creating an audition piece? 

I can't wait to see the final solos! I'm glad they banned the use of props, many of which were cumbersome. Though I wish we got to see more of the entire auditioning process, from freestyle dances through to the final solos.

Edited by Kaedee
  • Love 3

Interesting that Kitty was so hard on Kat and Colby in the clip for this week coming...both girls trained regularly at her dance studio?? I mean, they were in Michelle Keys' classes but still...would she never have seen them and offered some criticism? Maybe she's not allowed...not sure how that works.  But telling Colby to eat a sandwich the day before finals...LOL  Who was the blonde girl that she made cry?  I didn't recognize her...  Amy's just made me sad.  I really like the girl but oh my, she was so not prepared.  If I moved my life from one state to another for ONE purpose you best believe I'd have a flawless routine.  

I think the audition piece looked good when done right and with confidence. Holly, for instance, was awesome and after watching hers I was like, oh, I like those moves!  I would have liked to see MIa do it lol 

• Love 1

Reminder once again. If you have a problem with what is going on in the forum do not bring it up in the thread. Send a report to the report center, send me a PM so I can see what is going on and deal with the situation, or use the ignore button. Do not call out other posters because someone may go off topic or you do not care for some of the rules on here.

Please remember to use spoilers tags when you are posting about something not seen or talk about on the one episode or was not seen in next week's episode previews. If you cannot figure where to post, please read the guideline pinned post at the top of the forum page or send me a PM.

From now on anyone who calls out posters or the mods on here will have their posts hidden or will be ask to edit their posts. Be civil on here or do not post at all in any of threads.

I had to check myself. Here's a link to some finals pics that year. She's pic 37. Sorry this is off topic mod...didn't know where else to post it since it's in line with the last few posts.

http://www.dfw.com/2012/05/22/626235/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-2012.html

I didn't realize Jordan sang for her audition! I knew she did at show group auditions but wow...that takes guts to not dance.  I thought her voice was really solid though, definitely one of the best in power and projection lol

On the singing front, are we talking show group? I know people sang for show group. I didn't know anyone could sing for preliminary auditions. Did people do that for S10 and I missed it? Or any season?  I like the no props in finals decision by Kelli et al. :)

On the singing front, are we talking show group? I know people sang for show group. I didn't know anyone could sing for preliminary auditions. Did people do that for S10 and I missed it? Or any season? I like the no props in finals decision by Kelli et al. :)

Finals, in lieu of a dance solo. They also hold singing auditions for the National Anthem and for show group.

Edited by Oranaiche

I think I found the potential hairy armpit, but I'm calling it potential because I can't tell what's going on.  It's in the twerking section of prelims, and flashes for not even a whole second (I think it's 10:11 or 10:12).  She's got dark medium length hair and a purple top on.  It's unclear if she didn't shave, if it's just an unfortunate shadow, or if it just looks like she needs to shave because her hair is so dark and her skin is fair.  I thought I saw a flash of hairy armpit when I first watched the episode, but told myself no way would someone show up like that.  But then someone asked here and I got motivated to keep a sharper eye out.

I also would like to see how the vets prepare for auditions!  Even if that just got folded into the finals episode, it would be cool to get a glimpse.  I recall Mackenzie coming by Kitty's prep class, as the only vet, and Kitty gave her really valuable advice.  But it would be cool to see them working on solos, taking technique classes, and/or watching them learn the auditions routine.  

In rewatching this episode, I started wondering about Kaitlyn, who I thought was quite pretty and was surprised she didn't get into finals.  I'm not sure about the logic of taking someone who looks and dances like Taylor or Colby over her.  Maybe she messed up in the dance more than the episode showed.  While it's awesome she earned academic scholarships to SMU, I was kind of wondering about her family's economic crunch as I watched her rehearsing in that beautiful in-home dance studio with dark wood walls and floors. (I can see the living room or family room through the doorway.)  Crisis or not, good for her for taking the reins of her own education, and I'd like to see her try out again next year.

Oh, episode 2, how are you still more than 24 hours away?

• Love 3

It was me who mentioned the hairy armpit chick lol and it was during the tweaking segment . It could be a dark shadow but wow it stood out and not at all in a good way lol surely no one would show up like that but then again you know people these days, desperate to get their face on TV.

I saw the girl you're referring to as well, but I think if there really was a girl with hairy pits at auditions, they'd have drawn our attention to it more (i.e., a slow motion zoomed in shot of the offending pit).

Finals, in lieu of a dance solo. They also hold singing auditions for the National Anthem and for show group.

Seriously? Did we ever see that? I've watched all seasons and don't remember seeing that option for the finals.

On the hairy-arm-pit front: I don't remember seeing that at all! Darn it, now I'm going to have to go back and watch AGAIN.

• Love 1

Seriously? Did we ever see that? I've watched all seasons and don't remember seeing that option for the finals.

On the hairy-arm-pit front: I don't remember seeing that at all! Darn it, now I'm going to have to go back and watch AGAIN.

For show group, yes.

For show group, yes.

I remember the show group vocal audition. Oranaiche said they used to do vocal auditions for finals in lieu of a dance solo - unless I misunderstood what was initially said.  If that happened, it was before MTT, cause I've seen all seasons of haven't seen it.  

I remember the show group vocal audition. Oranaiche said they used to do vocal auditions for finals in lieu of a dance solo - unless I misunderstood what was initially said. If that happened, it was before MTT, cause I've seen all seasons of haven't seen it.

I posted a link to finals pics from 2012 (Jordan's rookie year) up thread. It's further up on this page. Pic 37 shows Jordan singing in high heels at final auditions -- not show group auditions. She also was featured at Kitty's prep class that year and Kitty was essentially laughing at her for singing instead of dancing. Someone also posted the official statement yesterday saying finals is a talent presentation and can be dancing, singing, dramatic reading, etc. Not sure what else I can say, lol. I'm not saying all girls do this, it is optional. We should probably move on though because this is pretty off topic.

Here is the link again. Just go to pic 37 and it is pretty clear Jordan is singing with a mic in her hand.

http://www.dfw.com/2012/05/22/626235/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-2012.html

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 2

Wow. Considering how Kelli and Judy are about the skill level of girls dancing, I'm surprised anyone would be able to substitute a vocal audition for a dance one. Just, wow.

Exactly what I have been saying this whole time. The year this happened I was shocked they took her to camp, and even more shocked they brought her back the next year after the being late to the first game incident. But she must have had a good season after that.

Anyway, this all relates back to the question about Kat dancing with a ball at finals this year, so not completely off topic, lol. :)

Exactly what I have been saying this whole time. The year this happened I was shocked they took her to camp, and even more shocked they brought her back the next year after the being late to the first game incident. But she must have had a good season after that.

Anyway, this all relates back to the question about Kat dancing with a ball at finals this year, so not completely off topic, lol. :)

Was Kat dancing with a ball prop or doing a rhythmic gymnastics routine that included a ball (which would be very close to acro dance). It's a fine line between the ball being mandatory in some parts of rhythmic gymnastics - they use hoops and clubs sometimes, too - and a ball as a dance prop, I know.

They have the option at FINALS to dance, tumble, sing, etc. Kitty told Jordan she was auditioning for a DANCE team, so it was stupid to sing. I agree.

In training camp, they have the option to audition for show group. Used to be optional at least.  Kelly would ask some of the girls why they didn't audition, and some with busy schedules/jobs/kids, etc., usually didn't have time for it. The last season Lauren Williams auditioned, It looked like it might be mandatory, and that singing the anthem was a mandatory part of show group auditions. May have been edited to look like auditioning was mandatory, but not sure.

• Love 1

Was Kat dancing with a ball prop or doing a rhythmic gymnastics routine that included a ball (which would be very close to acro dance). It's a fine line between the ball being mandatory in some parts of rhythmic gymnastics - they use hoops and clubs sometimes, too - and a ball as a dance prop, I know.

They have the option at FINALS to dance, tumble, sing, etc. Kitty told Jordan she was auditioning for a DANCE team, so it was stupid to sing. I agree.

In training camp, they have the option to audition for show group. Used to be optional at least. Kelly would ask some of the girls why they didn't audition, and some with busy schedules/jobs/kids, etc., usually didn't have time for it. The last season Lauren Williams auditioned, It looked like it might be mandatory, and that singing the anthem was a mandatory part of show group auditions. May have been edited to look like auditioning was mandatory, but not sure.

I'm not asking about Kat, someone else did. Just trying to relate all these singing posts back to the thread, LOL. The discussion started by someone asking about props being allowed and it snowballed into this.

• Love 1

I'm not asking about Kat, someone else did. Just trying to relate all these singing posts back to the thread, LOL. The discussion started by someone asking about props being allowed and it snowballed into this.

haha i made the mistake of asking who'd sing the anthem - thanks to the monitor who added spoiler tags, I totally wasn't thinking that, either - so I contributed to the veering off topic.

• Love 1

My questions tend to lead to off topic discussions. But thank you all for explaining the prop rule to me. Bi remember either Judy or Kelli said in an earlier season (4 or 5) that props can be used to hide weaknesses and after Danielle's injury I thought they were eliminated altogether. I was just surprised to see a prop again.

I just watched the twerking segment and saw unfortunate shadow but not pit hair lol

I'm having to re watch the episode because I'm having difficulty telling the difference among several of them. So many similar looking blondes.

I completely agree with many of you who said Christina's kicks did look better...I wish they showed the left too.

I wish Ashley learned to dance more fluidly in two years. I don't see any difference. L

On one last observation, in the clip they continuously show of the kick line from last year, someone down at the far right is very low and very tight. I wish I could figure out who it is.

I have seen Season 7 several times (Jordan's rookie season) and I never saw the part where Kitty called her out for singing for her solo. What am I missing here?

Ask this in the proper thread, it has already been discussed here.

On one last observation, in the clip they continuously show of the kick line from last year, someone down at the far right is very low and very tight. I wish I could figure out who it is.

I went back and looked just because you said this, and the low kicker at around 4:35-4:39 definitely is Breelan. And it sticks out because she was right next to Lacey (who kicked herself in the face last year). I remember someone in the media thread posted a video that Lacey's dad put on youtube, and if it's not a video of the same performance then that's how Breelan's kicks/jumps looked all the time, apparently.

No she was cut. I felt bad for her and I think you might be assuming it was stress. Maybe she was really was just sick and didn't want to puke right on the floor. I give her the benefit of the doubt. If you're not used to kickline, even Kelli said it can be nauseating. I was hoping they'd give her another shot. 

Sheridan, please try out again because you have a great look and otherwise I fear you will be forever refered to a "puke girl".   :(

Edited by mardo4
  • Love 2
Now Kelli says over 500 girls tried out from 37 different states!!

I call BS. The highest finalist number was in the 320s, wasn't it? If there were 500 dancers, it seems odd that there wouldn't be even ONE finalist in the last 175 or so girls. Which makes me think the real number was well under 400. And every time they talk about how many other places the girls come from, I wonder how many flew in from elsewhere specifically for the auditions vs those who were born elsewhere, but actually live in Dallas now because their family moved when they were little or they moved for college or something.

Did Kelli say anything this year about people coming from other countries? It seems like there's always someone from Japan.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

I call BS. The highest finalist number was in the 320s, wasn't it? If there were 500 dancers, it seems odd that there wouldn't be even ONE finalist in the last 175 or so girls. Which makes me think the real number was well under 400. And every time they talk about how many other places the girls come from, I wonder how many flew in from elsewhere specifically for the auditions vs those who were born elsewhere, but actually live in Dallas now because their family moved when they were little or they moved for college or something.

Did Kelli say anything this year about people coming from other countries? It seems like there's always someone from Japan.

I have a theory on this! I think they reach that 500ish number by vets, girls that are recruited and get to bypass prelims, and girls who either apply and don't show up or at least make an inquiry.

It's a somewhat common thing in the private school and college admissions world when people need to pad their numbers to make the it look like there is a higher level of interest. Someone might call or email for info on auditions and BOOM they are "one of over 500 applicants" even if they never set foot at try outs.

Edited by Dccfan126

So I was trolling the CMT site looking for new clips (to sustain me until tonight!) and I finally found the bonus segments for episode 1.  One had a fuller version of the judges' discussion about Colby and Kat's appearances, and whether or not they were too skinny.  Re Colby, one of the judges straight up said "too much plastic surgery."  I was kind of like ouch, dang, but yes!  

• Love 2

So I was trolling the CMT site looking for new clips (to sustain me until tonight!) and I finally found the bonus segments for episode 1.  One had a fuller version of the judges' discussion about Colby and Kat's appearances, and whether or not they were too skinny.  Re Colby, one of the judges straight up said "too much plastic surgery."  I was kind of like ouch, dang, but yes!  

That has to sting for her if she sees that commentary. I'm sure she's a nice girl, and she's obviously very fit, but something tells me that she wouldn't have actually made training camp without the fan vote.

In that same video they were talking about Kat, Kristi Scales said "On our 60 yard wide, center hung digital board, skinny people look normal and normal people look fat. [Kat] will look perfect on there." I just think that Kat is soooo thin, to the point I would seriously worry if her body type happened to become the new standard.

• Love 1

I call BS. The highest finalist number was in the 320s, wasn't it? If there were 500 dancers, it seems odd that there wouldn't be even ONE finalist in the last 175 or so girls.

I'm with you. Usually in each Episode 1, you get a long shot of all the women sitting in the stadium, a big block of dancers, and you can do a quick count -- rows times seats in each row. I've never, even counting generously, been able to get over about 350.

In my eye, Kat looks very thin, but Colby looks too skinny and less than totally natural.  I often judge by what I consider the "bobble head factor," when someone's head looks too big for their body and I deduce that the body should have more mass to it, or by ribs showing through when the body is upright and relaxed.  I wouldn't go so far as to say I thought Colby had real bobble head, but it's close, and the veins standing out in her muscular arms and lack of any ass just scream "not enough body fat" to me rather than healthy or sexy.  In the preview for the next episode, when Kitty told her to eat a sandwich, Colby glances down and smiles in a way that says, "F U, Kitty Carter.  I like my ripped body and I'm not gaining an ounce for you!"  Which, of course, is her right.  But so far, neither her dancing, looks nor demeanor appeal to me.  Kat also has a thin frame and narrow face, but I find her look a bit softer and much more natural than Colby's, dyed blonde hair aside.  Kat also came across as more genuine to me and at ease with herself when talking on camera.  I'll be very interested to see both of them dance at finals tonight, and hopefully get a glimpse of them in interviews!

• Love 2