Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Breakfast of Champions

• Start Topic

Soooo, the braces are part of the character?  Whatever.

Ray better let that damn dog in.

It was great to see Bridgette get her snotty ass put in place by that teacher.  Conner is too stupid to be Ray's son.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ha, I laughed when Bridget's teacher told her that he wasn't going to hand out extra credit. For the record, I went to a public high school and most of my classes didn't have extra credit assignments available (especially not in any of my math classes!).

I had hoped that Abby being in Boston would mean a lack of Abby in the episode. Sadly, no.

As for Mickey claiming that he will be there for Terry when he starts getting really sick, riiiiiiighhhhht.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Greatly enjoyed seeing Ray wash dishes. lol

I assumed that they were writing in something to explain Katie Holmes' real braces? 

The Terry storyline breaks my heart.  Such a tragic figure.

Interesting to see Abby is annoying as fuck in every setting.

• Love 4

I assumed that they were writing in something to explain Katie Holmes' real braces? 

I saw her interviewed doing promos for the show, and she's not wearing braces IRL. Apparently it's only for her character on the show. She didn't explain why though, something about migraines which really didn't make much sense to me. 

• Love 1

Whatever one thinks of this show (I think it is pretty good),there is no denying that Jon Voight is showing once again, 46 years after Midnight Cowboy, that he is a great, great, actor. I have to stop myself occasionally to remind myself that I'm not actually watching an elderly Boston Irish sociopath and thug.

• Love 9

Braces to treat the jaw misalignment causing migraines is not uncommon, although it's a bit unusual as a plot device.

Yeah, TMJ crossed my mind, but I don't know what it adds or explains about the character. It's stress related?

• Love 1

Yeah, TMJ crossed my mind, but I don't know what it adds or explains about the character. It's stress related?

Yeah, I suppose, and if the writing is good, it can be used to show how chronic pain shapes behavior, and how superficially unpleasant behavior is sometimes a complex response. If the writing is mediocre to bad, it will be solely used to evoke a sympathetic response from Ray and (shudder) an all too predictable sexual relationship between the two. It would be so much more interesting to have these two strong personalities not be physically intimate, despite any physical attraction, while they develop a complex relationship. Tied to this is the hope that they allow McShane to not portray the standard ruthless television plutocrat, but instead write the character to show why he can inspire loyalty and dedication, while also being a shrewd and, when need be, pitiless operator.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 2

I have a hard time understanding what Katie Holmes is saying. Actually I'm finding myself putting this show up louder in general, but especially during her scenes.

Mickey will be around for Terry alright. If he see's Terry not well, he might actually call Ray or Abby to do something about it, or just assign Daryll to watch him as his next job. Shut up, Mickey, you won't do shit.

Bridget can annoy me, but good for her for not giving Ray a hug or whatever he wanted by telling her to come back. Seems like Ray really wanted credit or something from her for coming home... for once. Yeah, telling Abby to come home was being a hypocrit, but I hate Abby so much not even that made me on her side for a second, it's just a true statement that happened. They're both terrible parents.

I refuse to accept that beautiful dog is dumb enough to come back. Unless he knows Abby isn't home and is looking for some food.

• Love 4

Ha fake Vanna really turned the tables on fake Pat Sajak (after Ray bitchslapped him a little).

So Finney said he didn't want to sell an American institution but it turned out to be a studio making Wheel of Fortune (which makes a lot of money but is dreck) and one of their leading men wants to marry a younger Kaitlin Jenner (she had some biceps).  And Finney's son wanted to make some stupid movie with cereal mascots?

That's some legacy to protect!

After watching Finney and Paige deal with each other, Ray decides to go home, try to mend things with his kids.  But Bridget is about to fuck her teacher and Conner went all Mickey Mantle when he couldn't upgrade from "making love" to his bed.

So Ray's new "damsel in distress" is a damsel with ... headaches? That's a big step down from a damsel with a gimpy stalker.

Whatever one thinks of this show (I think it is pretty good),there is no denying that Jon Voight is showing once again, 46 years after Midnight Cowboy, that he is a great, great, actor. I have to stop myself occasionally to remind myself that I'm not actually watching an elderly Boston Irish sociopath and thug.

Totally! This x 100!

So Ray's new "damsel in distress" is a damsel with ... headaches? That's a big step down from a damsel with a gimpy stalker.

Totally! This x 100!

• Love 1

I miss Lena and Avi.  They're still in the credits; are they coming back?

Maybe the next shot will be Ray and the dog, huddled in bed.  Abby can stay in Boston.  Absolutely none of her conversations there, with people I didn't know or care about, were interesting.  Just get the damn divorce and move on.  As long as it isn't Ray moving into Katie Holmes's bed, although that would be the obvious plot device.

Is either parent going to get a clue on how their bad behavior is breeding bad behavior in their kids?  This isn't the first time Conor's gotten violent.  Not that those assholes didn't deserve it, but still.

Ha, I laughed when Bridget's teacher told her that he wasn't going to hand out extra credit. For the record, I went to a public high school and most of my classes didn't have extra credit assignments available (especially not in any of my math classes!).

I had hoped that Abby being in Boston would mean a lack of Abby in the episode. Sadly, no.

As for Mickey claiming that he will be there for Terry when he starts getting really sick, riiiiiiighhhhht.

None of the other characters being in Abby's scenes made her easier to ignore though.  

Yeah, I suppose, and if the writing is good, it can be used to show how chronic pain shapes behavior, and how superficially unpleasant behavior is sometimes a complex response. If the writing is mediocre to bad, it will be solely used to evoke a sympathetic response from Ray and (shudder) an all too predictable sexual relationship between the two. It would be so much more interesting to have these two strong personalities not be physically intimate, despite any physical attraction, while they develop a complex relationship. Tied to this is the hope that they allow McShane to not portray the standard ruthless television plutocrat, but instead write the character to show why he can inspire loyalty and dedication, while also being a shrewd and, when need be, pitiless operator.

As someone that deals with migraines, tmj, and unrelated chronic pain, I didn't find her relatable or feel sorry for her, so I'm assuming those without personal experience with any of those didn't empathize too strongly and fear that we'll end up going down the bad path.  I hope not though.

• Love 2

So they explained Katie's braces.  So is that just a plot device, or is she wearing braces for real and they had to cover for it on the show?

The dog is the show's breakout star.

Bridget and the school teacher looks to be heading to creepy town.

I wonder if the wheel they used on that game show was borrowed from the set of Price is Right.

I could have watched Ray slapping fake Pat Sajak for at least another five minutes.

If I ever watch Wheel of Fortune and see Vanna hosting and Pat doing the letters, I'll know Ray is there backstage somewhere.

• Love 3

Hi Frisco Jones and Cheryl Ladd, the latter was Damn near unrecognizable.

Really hope Five Head and her teacher don't cross the line.

Poor Terry, Eddie Marsan is killing it this season.

This show and The Walking Dead, Austin Nichols is getting dem coins.

So Finney's lackey is Paige's husband?