Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: A Hollow Man

(edited)

It's pretty sad when Drill is making people spell out his messages via anagrams using scrabble tiles.  It was just so tense when they didn't show that the tiles spelled out 'kill him' or something similar. </sarcasm>

And Lena, in her conversation with a sparking wire above her house, somehow determined that translated to killing this Thomas guy, complete with an address to go to, and where in the house he was located in order to gun him down. 

And somehow, attempted murder is something Wes can just sweep under the carpet. Are they going to pay off Phlox to keep quiet ?  Two people show up asking questions about his son -- and coincidentally his son gets shot the same day.  I like how both Rollins and Wes walked right down the stairs past Lena and left her holding a loaded handgun.  How did Lena not hit Claire or Sean ?

What was the point of Rollins kidnapping Henry if only to hand him over to Sean/Claire on some foggy backroad ?  Who was babysitting Henry and didn't put up a fight when Rollins grabbed Henry ?  Henry tells Sean/Claire that Drill sounded angry -- and you wouldn't like him when he's angry.

According to Thomas, all the nukes set off on Earth acted like a beacon and were detected by an alien near the star Chi Sagittarius.  The only problem is that all the nukes set off on Earth were NOT magical nukes -- and any radiation sent into space by those explosions would have traveled at the speed of light.  And as they indicated in a previous episode, Chi Sagittarius is 220 light years from Earth.  Somehow, Drill 1.0 came down with the radio signal that Phlox detected from Chi Sagittarius in 1982, but nukes had only been going off since 1945 -- so only 37 years occurred between the first nuke was set off and a signal was received.  Shouldn't it have taken 220+ years for the aliens to detect the numerous atomic blasts, and then another 220 years to send back a reply.  Did Drill 2.0 come down with that space rock ?  If it did, it sure wasn't traveling at the speed of light (because, you  know, it can't). The math just isn't adding up.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I don't know how long I can put up with the main character's entitlement issues. "How dare you betray the partner you had for 3 days who withheld information from you."

Seriously ? That woman is nuts. He doesn't owe you any loyalty, he's risked his life and his job like 4 times already for you and you've done nothing but lie to him since the minute you met him.

Also why did she cheat on Peter Petrelli ? Why is Wes who threatened to expose NSA secrets to the public allowed to wander away after contacting someone who committed treason and only managed to ANNOY THE ALIEN.

*sigh* Someone has been shot and is presumably bleeding to death and you're yammering on about how you want to know how to kill Drill FOR YOUR SON. Yeah we get it... You have a son who you sometimes remember exists and you don't want him talking to strangers or something...

If I was Drill I would have taken away Henry's hearing as retaliation for their assassination attempt.

Is anyone on this show remotely likeable except perhaps unbelievably loyal to blond woman cop partner ? I can't be bothered learning their names at this point.

• Love 3

Yeah, nukes going off starting in the 40s would not have reached a star system over 200 light years away unless these aliens can detect light in hyperspace. I mean come on and then the Hulk reference. When has Drill been nice to adults to begin with Henry, you stupid kid! Yeah, have Minx and her entire family be the way to stop Drill. Get rid of all of them, because there is no one likeable on this show. "What's that you have their honey?" "It's a loaded gun, Drill says to kill people with it." "Oh that's nice, do you want mac and cheese for dinner?" 

• Love 1
(edited)

Something has to be done with that Minx child. Seriously. (And the name is making more sense now...she just can't be reigned in.) 

It seems as if someone is always preparing snacks for children -- with huge knives -- while they are up to no good. At this point, I really think it would be acceptable to lock them in the basement with the lights off. 

I did appreciate that Wes' first instinct was to distrust his adult wife, but believe his six (?) year old child who has proven herself to be untrustworthy and has even hacked his computer. 

What's happened to Harper? My guess is that the actor became unavailable so they dropped that character - but I'd love for her to make surprise appearance at the end and be the Keyser Soze linchpin to everything.. 

And Lena, in her conversation with a sparking wire above her house, somehow determined that translated to killing this Thomas guy, complete with an address to go to, and where in the house he was located in order to gun him down. 

Obviously Lena's brain is not fully developed, so maybe Drill can communicate with her better than most adults?? Or a wizard did it.. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Obviously Lena's brain is not fully developed, so maybe Drill can communicate with her better than most adults?? Or a wizard did it..

Maybe he thinks she's a child with the way she's been acting.  She's hands down the dumbest character, just go along with Drill's word, it's not like he can just go behind her back like he's been doing all this time.

• Love 1

Something has to be done with that Minx child. Seriously. (And the name is making more sense now...she just can't be reigned in.) 

It seem as if someone is always preparing snacks for children -- with huge knives -- while they are up to no good. At this point, I really think it would be acceptable to lock them in the basement with the lights off. 

I did appreciate that Wes' first instinct was to distrust his adult wife, but believe his six (?) year old child who has proven herself to be untrustworthy and has even hacked his computer. 

What's happened to Harper? My guess is that the actor became unavailable so they dropped that character - but I'd love for her to make surprise appearance at the end and be the Keyser Soze linchpin to everything.. 

I saw a commercial for an upcoming movie (Ant Man?) and Harper is in it, so that could be why she hasn't been shown much in the past few episodes.  The focus seems to be on Henry and Minx anyway. 

Hollow Man? WTF does that mean?

Something has to be done with that Minx child. Seriously. (And the name is making more sense now...she just can't be reigned in.) It seems as if someone is always preparing snacks for children -- with huge knives -- while they are up to no good. At this point, I really think it would be acceptable to lock them in the basement with the lights off.

If there is anything to be learned from this show, perhaps it's a parable for extremely bad parenting. All of these parents seem so afraid of bruising the delicate little psyches of their precious angels, they continue to act like nothing is wrong and leave the kids to their own devices. Even when they know some malevolent, alien force is working through them and that at least two children have attempted murder, once successfully. And still we find Minx upstairs in her room talking to Drill and crawling out the window onto the roof while mommy is downstairs making lunch. GEEZ already. Lock that kid up! Round 'em all up and lock 'em all up! 

I guess we at least got some exposition out of this episode, ridiculous as it was, but how predictably frustrating and annoying that the minute they find someone who knows how to kill Drill he up and gets shot. Because of course we can't have nice things.

I would hope he wrote the answer down somewhere in his Basement O' Crazy because, you know, that's important information to pass along to future generations. A crazy book of atomic testing details over the last 50 years? Not so much.

I'm not sure about the significance of Thomas killing his brother. Is it the method by which he killed Drill? Or was it simply an order Drill gave him to distract his NASA scientist father from any further research?

• Love 2

If there is anything to be learned from this show, perhaps it's a parable for extremely bad parenting. All of these parents seem so afraid of bruising the delicate little psyches of their precious angels, they continue to act like nothing is wrong and leave the kids to their own devices. Even when they know some malevolent, alien force is working through them and that at least two children have attempted murder, once successfully. And still we find Minx upstairs in her room talking to Drill and crawling out the window onto the roof while mommy is downstairs making lunch. GEEZ already. Lock that kid up! Round 'em all up and lock 'em all up!

Exactly, and they keep leaving these kids alone, even after knowing about Drill.

Exactly, and they keep leaving these kids alone, even after knowing about Drill.

Oh man, I'd have these kids locked in a secret, undisclosed location with candle light only.  And books, no electronic toys.

At the very least, Minx needs to be in handcuffs, and tethered to a parent with one of those kid harnesses at ALL times, including bedtime.

• Love 3

At this point, the only scenes I can actually tolerate are scenes with Sean, naturally Claire is ruining those for me as well, and the black agent. I just ff through everything else because they explain everything ninety times, so you still find out what happened with the characters you can't stand, and you save at least 30+ minutes an episode. At this point, I'm just watching for completion and that's getting harder to do with each passing episode.

(edited)

I'm starting to actually hate Lilly Rabe and any scene she is in.  I think she's a terrible actress.  And I can't stand snotty little Minx.  She needs to be kept in the basement.  And the new character they just introduced holds the key to getting rid of Drill, so, of course, he's been shot and can't tell them.  Will he live, will he die, will they ever get rid of Drill?  Only two weeks to contemplate this.  When is this show going to be over?

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4

Hollow Man? WTF does that mean?

I googled 'hollow man quotes' and once I eliminated the quotes from the movie of that name, I found a poem 'The Hollow Men' by T.S. Eliot.  I don't know exactly what parts of the poem might pertain to things in the episode, but the last lines (which I've heard many times) are:  'This is how the world ends.  Not with a bang, but a whimper'.  I noticed in the episode, that Thomas' notebook was entitled 'This is how the world ends'.  Other than offering that quote, I got nuthin'.

• Love 2

It's usually 13 episodes (unless this one is different) so about 5 more.

Thanks.  I don't know if I'll make it.  Coming here to read the snark is what keeps me going.

• Love 1

I got the title no problem, knowing it had to be the "Ends with a whimper" of course I can take it a double meaning. Such as this show ending as a whimper since it has such bad writing, acting and I'm sure Ray Bradbury is looking down on the producers and going: "Did you even read my story?" "You got the stupid kids right but the adults at least had intelligence." 

• Love 1

I saw a commercial for an upcoming movie (Ant Man?) and Harper is in it, so that could be why she hasn't been shown much in the past few episodes.  The focus seems to be on Henry and Minx anyway. 

She almost ruined Ant-Man for me because all I could see was Harper. Gäh. She was slightly less annoying in it though.

It's usually 13 episodes (unless this one is different) so about 5 more.

Bloody hell. I usually finish what I started but they are not making it easy. At all.

• Love 1

Oh man, I'd have these kids locked in a secret, undisclosed location with candle light only.  And books, no electronic toys.

At the very least, Minx needs to be in handcuffs, and tethered to a parent with one of those kid harnesses at ALL times, including bedtime.

I can get denial for the first few days but at this stage every parents' reaction to this situation is downright bizarre. They act as though their children are utterly incapable of any rational judgement (and kids ARE capable of judgement, very much so) while at the same time letting them run free with no care or concern that they're being manipulated by an invisible malevolent alien. It's gone from annoying to bizarre.

That scene where Minx clearly lied and he then took her word over his wife's... I mean, WTF. Anyone who's dealt with children ever would have walked out of that room and gone, "wow, she just totally lied to us, this is bad". And this is a married couple and their child as well. No way that scene plays out like that. So dumb.

Maybe he thinks she's a child with the way she's been acting.  She's hands down the dumbest character, just go along with Drill's word, it's not like he can just go behind her back like he's been doing all this time.

Minx's mother is painfully stupid to the point where the crack about Claire thinking she was just a dumb housewife seems more self-awareness than criticism of Claire. Because... yep. She had a kid because she was too stupid to get a job. And now she is the worst mother in the universe. (That, by the way, in the interests of not unwittingly offending anybody is not saying that housewives are people too stupid to get a job or that people have children because they can't do anything better. I'm saying that about HER specifically, not motherhood or housewives generally). End of disclaimer.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 1