Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: B.Y.O.B.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Two podcast in 4 days! Oh thank you Baby Jebus! These podcast are what keeps me sane on my bus ride to and from work. You guys are better than Xanax. Plus more podcast get us closer and closer to Emily Valentine.

Edited by savannah31401
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's a coin toss for my favorite comment - WMST, Moist-FM (guaranteed to be worse than jazz) or flipper baby. Both made me laugh out loud.

As for the episode, had the writers ever been to a high school party? I went to some in the "rich" neighborhoods, and we still never had blended margaritas in actual margarita glasses, with lime wheels. That is some fancy shizz right there. Did Donna hire a bartender? Were there also banana daiquiris?

I thought it was fancy when we had Jagermeister, but then I also thought mixing Boone's farm flavors was a good idea. We still only had red Solo cups though.

Donna's outfit, with the bra top and headband? Was she on her way to Jazzercise or something? Wow.

Edited by KateeBar
  • Love 1

I once tried to convince my mom to let me buy a bra-type top (clearly meant to be worn at a nightclub by a 20yo and not to school by a member of the under-thirteen set). When she initially said no, I responded with "But Donna Martin on 90210 wears stuff like that all the time!" This did not win her over.

I'm actually surprised she let me keep watching after that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I went to some in the "rich" neighborhoods, and we still never had blended margaritas in actual margarita glasses, with lime wheels.

Girl, there is "rich", and there is RICH. Thats just how the West Bev kids roll. Red Solo cups are for peasants like us ;)

All kidding aside, I do think this was one of the ways for the writers to remind us just how different and worldy and sophistaced the rich Beverly Hills kids were. That was one big element of the show in season 1. These kids go out clubbing! Their school has valet parking! They have no curfew! They drink cocktails at house parties! Etc.

When she initially said no, I responded with "But Donna Martin on 90210 wears stuff like that all the time!" This did not win her over.

Well, Donna Martin did have the coolest mom ever, Felice ;)

• Love 1

I remember being very much Team Brinda when this show originally aired, and I was a little afraid that this re-listen would make me regret even more the terrible choices I made as a teen. But honestly, as bratty as she was, her family is genuinely terrible to her. Like, the way most bratty teens perceive they're being treated is genuinely how Jim treats her. It's appalling, really.

On the other hand, I didn't have a problem with Brandon either. I mean, I never thought he was cute, but I didn't recognize what a braying jackass he was until these podcasts started up. Thank you, ladies, for helping me see the light.

• Love 3

As noted (and usual), the sound design with the "background" people "talking" is HILARIOUSLY terrible, but it speaks to the show's overinvestment in Brandon that it depicts so many people giving a shit whether he sips a froofy blended drink or not. There was practically an impromptu referendum on the subject!

• Love 4
(edited)

This is the episode I hold up as the illustration of how the Walshes treat Brandon way better than Brenda, to the point of ridiculousness.

I don't blame her that she's bratty, and some of her brattiness this episode is that she completely covers for Brandon and he throws her under the bus. His tone to Dylan about how terrible jail was was hilarious. Dude, you were there for a couple of hours and your parents bailed you out. And then somehow they  still got angrier at your sister. I wish Brenda, anytime Jim got all huffy at her in later seasons, would just yell back "MONDALE!"

I agree on Doherty's hair- the bangs are amazing and I want them. She's a season or so away from maximum gorgeousness -I always thought it was funny that Kelly was supposed to be the class beauty. Garth is totally attractive but Doherty is distractingly so.

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 3

I watched 90210 in its original (the first three seasons maybe?) run but have never watched them after that. However, these podcasts are the best thing to happen for me all summer. Not only am I appalled that I remember so much of these episodes, I am appalled as to how many clothing styles I recognize as having been worn on my own body. It is horrifying. I just wanted to say thanks - I chortle to myself an awful lot and end up frightening both my dogs and my husband with random outbursts. Top notch stuff, ladies. (And Dave. Oh, and John for filling in when needed, of course.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Even though I had a tiny crush on Jason Priestley back in the day, I still remember thinking he behaved like a total tool in this episode. Then and now, I still want to smack him for his behavior in this ep. 

He was a liar and an idiot who drove drunk, and he threw his sister under the bus. Jerk.

Edited by sinkwriter
(edited)

Another great podcast. I am getting pretty annoyed by how Brandon and Brenda are always trying to shame their parents for punishing them. They must know on some level that they have it coming.

On another note, the personal stories you guys are sharing are even better than the show. Love it.

Edited by gpgurl50
  • Love 2
(edited)

On another note, the personal stories you guys are sharing are even better than the show. Love it.

The put-a-condom-on-the-giant-dildo-while-blindfolded story was the best! Very practical life skill, that is!

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 1

The put-a-condom-on-the-giant-dildo-while-blindfolded story was the best! Very practical life skill, that is!

I imagine it must be a very embarrassing thing to have to do in class, when you're a teenager, but I'm pretty impressed that they taught that kind of information. I don't remember my school teaching us that. (Unless I was so mortified that I blocked it out? Which is entirely possible. LOL.)

• Love 2

Seriously Jim and Cindy treat Brenda kind of awful.I know she's a brat more often than not and granted deserves a smack in the head. It it makes me wonder if she's always on offenses with them because she expects to be the bad one. It makes sense.

I think the writers were trying to give Brandon the whole "teenagers tend to think the world is all about them, they blow things up to dramatics" but the way they do this with Brandon, first with the 'free at last'speech when he quit his super fancy job- I mean, really.. anyone knows where that quote comes from and no teenager THAT self centered would use in that context. And this 'now I know why convicts want to escape prison" WHAT???? I feel like Tara and Sarah need to add a "shut up Brandon" to the podcast. It applies.

Love Kelly's drinking logic: "My mother drinks.I sip"

Part the 1st - OMG Brandon is so much of an asshole SO MUCH. The fact that his parents don't even seem mad is just insane. Part the 2nd - I feel a tiny bit bad for Brenda (I KNOW hear me out!) because I was the oldest and yet because I was a girl EVERYTHING was my fault. I cannot even with the fact that her parents SCREAM at her about the mess but he's given the "oh poor you" I can't with that.

Part the 3rd - how Cindy didn't smack the ever-loving crap out of both of them is a testament to self restraint.

I love the eps where you guys rip into Brandon which is like every ep so I love it all. Brandon was always the literal worst but someone was the best even when he's a near murder. Anya you're too good for him! Will you guys get to season 5? Or 6? I liked this ep, Dave did something funny. OMG the grandma story made my night.