Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E28: Solo Battle: Round 1

• Start Topic

Jeanette officially takes over the Candy Apples and brings an epic routine featuring the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles to competition. Meanwhile, Abby tests the girls with a challenging prop; and Kendall and JoJo go head-to-head in a bracket-style showdown to see who will get a solo at Nationals. Later, Kira and Kalani make a big decision that determines their future with the ALDC.

That would have been a really nice episode except for one thing - Kalani's mom.  In watching the last show, it appeared that Kalani had her favorite dance teacher back.  She won first place because her dance teacher was back.  She had fallen behind in technique because of Abby.  So they left.  Makes sense.   SO WHY ARE THEY BACK?

Kalani's mom begging for Kalani to be put in the dance must have been set up.  No one in their right mind would expect to quit with drama, storm out, and then waltz back in unannounced demanding that the dance be changed to their kid can dance.

And Kalani's mother looks about 50 years old, so it was surprising to hear she is pregnant. 

SO WHY ARE THEY BACK?

And Kalani's mother looks about 50 years old, so it was surprising to hear she is pregnant. 

I think they are back because they signed a contract and were required to come back. 

Kira said she was having complications with her pregnancy.  I think that's why she looked so bad.  My sister looked horrible through a couple of really complicated pregnancies.

• Love 1
(edited)

Exactly, they have a contract until the end of the season and Abby knows it - hence why Kalani was at the opening of the new studio. They've seen how well those who try to break the contract were treated.

Jill really needs to keep her mouth shut as it makes her look like such a fool. Complaining about Kira and yet how many times does she continue to argue with Abby even after Kendall tells her to be quiet.

The dances - not a fan of Kendall's but the dance and  costume were gorgeous. With good choreography she does well and I enjoyed it. There was no way Jojo could have beat it with the routine she had unless Kendall failed miserably.

Poor Jojo - even with the hug Abby gave her, last nite's episode really demonstrated to me how vile Abby is and how mentally abused these kids are. Thery're like battered women - emotionally broken. And then to call her out in front of everyone. It's sad when the first thing that comes out of any of the girl's mouths after flubbing or forgetting the routine is, " Abby's going to kill me!" I never once was frightened of my dance teacher's reaction. Yes - I was disappointed in both myself and for my teacher - but I was never scared that she'd call me out or embarrass me in front of everyone. Forgetting lines or steps is just human and the best dancers and actors do it.

The routines: in my opinion Jeanette's should have taken first. I was moved to wet eyes seeinghow Jay's speech impacted the girls and their moms. I thought it was beautiful. Though, I hate that everyone, Dance Moms, Big Brother ect.. are getting on the transgender gravy train due to Bruce / Caitlyn Jenner.

I also liked the ALDC dance but the fence hid from view whether it was clean or not.

No wonder Abby didn't give Maddie a solo this week - 1st place Emma - she does not want the golden child embarrassed - no matter what she said at Pyramid.

Edited by tessa
  • Love 3

What happened to Cathy???  Did she sell her studio?  I'm happy poor Vivi won't have to be an unwilling prop in dances anymore or be subjected to fake "heart to heart" conversations with her mom at Ye Olde-Timey Ice Creme Shoppe. Let the kid eat her sundae in peace & off camera.

• Love 4

Cathy left? I'm so confused. Anyone have the backstory?

I had a random thought with the focus on Jeanette. Considering the issues between Abby and production, do you think they are testing the waters to move forward with Dance Moms with Jeaneatte's studio and leave ALDC behind?

I am thinking one of the reasons why the other group may have lost (if it was not due to producer manipulation) is because the judges were not privy to the whole backstory as we were, so they may perhaps saw it in a less emotional way than the TV viewers??  But of course, it was probably staged this way, and that's the only reason!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Maddie standing ominously behind Kendall while Abby was taking about next week's solos cracked me up too. I half expected to hear some creepy music in the background.

Edited by Nettey78
  • Love 2

In what galaxy does the ALDC group number beat Janette/Candy Apples's?   Do the judges get any sort or pre-performance information about the routines that they will be scoring?  Even if they don't, I mean, really?  Janette's number was beautiful and Ava's height actually worked in the overall context of the story.  I was very impressed with the kid's and mom's reactions to the concept and to gentleman who had transitioned and whose story was being told.   BTW, did you catch Melissa's "who farted?" facial expression when Kira and Kalani showed up.  I suspect that Melissa is always looking over Maddie's shoulder when Kalani is around because she's afraid of her possibly usurping her golden girl's false crown.  And again, Kalani showed what a high class kid she is when she held Jo Jo and tried to buck up her spirits after she tanked her routine.

• Love 4

Anyone watch the throwback Tues where there was an interview following the episode with Melissa and Maddie? Sorry but just the promo turned me off with Maddie's " I was a cute kid" statement. Any other kid saying that probably wouldn't have bothered me but with the scrren time we've seen of Maddie moments lately - I didn't want watch it and fake Melissa. Are they trying to get the ratings up or pushing them down farther so they can cancel Dance Moms.

• Love 3

They're doing individual lookbacks at 10 for the next several weeks, starting with Melissa and Maddie. All of the girls and Moms will be featured, though Kalani and JoJo will split an hour since they haven't been on from the beginning. 

I saw bits and pieces in flipping channels last night and Maddie did pretty well I thought. She's matured a good bit. The only part that bugged me was her discussion about her friendship with Chloe which apparently has been non-existent since Chloe left ALDC. Seemed like she was trying to act upset but wasn't too successful about it. She and Melissa both delivered some good snark on Abby. But Maddie is starting to think of herself as an actress as opposed to simply a dancer, and while I can see it on the dance floor (they showed about a 30-second clip collage of "Maddie Face" - even she thinks she looked constipated), I'm not really seeing it yet in her admittedly limited acting roles.

• Love 1

Yes, they are pretty bad, especially given the show's ratings in earlier seasons.  Shows that approach a cable network's average prime time numbers are in the danger zone.  Those networks don't need more shows at or below their average.  They need shows with much, much higher numbers to pull up their ratings. 

You know - I will miss Dance Moms - it is one of the only shows I watch any longer. Maybe they can drop the ALDC and introduce another studio. I liked Dance Moms Mamai and was sorry when they didn't have another season.

Syndication isn't really a thing for reality shows.  No network is likely to pick up Lifetime's discarded Dance Moms.  It's already shop worn.  Hm, what network is farther down than Lifetime that would want to pay to air it?  The show is on it's last legs and really Lifetime would have to slash costs to make season 6 viable.  Abby and the current cast seem to be foolish enough to want more money and more fame and control.  That's the kiss of death to negotiations at this point.

I watched that special show w/ Maddie and Melissa - I thought they came across as a kid who's going to have serious issues when she grows up and her horrible mom that's causing them all. I have never really thought this very much until seeing this show. The stuff about her wanting to be perfect all the time, and not wanting to upset Abby, and then Melissa's sitting there agreeing w/ her about these things like its totally fine and cool that she feels this way? - she is such a bad mother - saying she needed to kiss a boy she didn't want to kiss cause it's for an acting role? That is so wrong.

• Love 4

Melissa made the comment that her ex said that dancing destroyed her marriage and followed that up with "My boyfriend knows how much the dancing costs,HE signs the checks!" 

And Kira is pregnant and dealing with this bs. She's sure living her dream through Kalani. She's so happy Kalani is getting fame

If you look at the audience and the stage of contestants there was barely anyone there. Was this a real competition?

None of them are.  They are invitationals set up specifically for the show, and I'm pretty sure the show selects what studios are allowed to compete (meaning you can't just randomly rsvp the invitation, you must be accepted).  Also, they sell tickets to these invitationals, real dance competitions don't charge admission, however, dance conventions do charge for "observers", I think as a means to weed out some of the parents because those hotel rooms get ridiculously crowded.

(edited)

@tessa, no.  NYDE had no more tour dates for the season last time I checked in March.  Here is their current schedule, so if any coincide in the future it wouldn't be an invitational.  You can always check against the Dance Moms Wiki site as well, though the links and references are better for an episode when it's in the "spoiler" area then once it's aired in my estimation.

eta: when I call them fake it is because of the invitational aspect of them, some of them are actual competitions that tour, but when the show records them, they aren't true full competitions open to anyone to register.  I think the hiring of Emma for DWTS probably happened after the invitational studios were set, time wise.  Also, this is the week that Maddie did the trio on DWTS which probably explains why she didn't have a solo.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

I have to go on record here with something I keep forgetting to say. Outside of Mack, I really, really love Kendall. I know that Jill is a little nuts, but I think that she looks beautiful performing myself.