Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Silence Of The Cicadas

...I think they're going with the crazy talk...

After a few prison riots and guard deaths, prisons stopped arming guards with the walls of the prison....

Crazy talk, cuckoo science, irrational reasoning, etc., yes, but back IRL, just wondering: Would prison guards have tear gas?

In Crazy Talk Land of Zoo, that should make those defiant pupils behave better.

• Love 1

I think they're going with the crazy talk - those horses are nice and placid now that their eyes are soaking in a formaldehyde filled jar.

And that actually makes sense for horses, right? Isn't it a common tactic to cover a horses eyes when it's being all panicky and wild, then the horse become docile and cooperative?

And that actually makes sense for horses, right? Isn't it a common tactic to cover a horses eyes when it's being all panicky and wild, then the horse become docile and cooperative?

You are right, it certainly does for horses. But then the talk about how animals looking through their defiant pupils (or however it was phrased) changed the way they perceived the world seemed, to me, to indicate that at least old man Oz was leading in the "let's blind all animals" direction toward finding a solution. Though how that would work with bats and echolocation....

Why they even went to bats for the plane scene baffles me. A flock of birds could do the same thing and make more sense. Though maybe they didn't want to remind anyone of Hitchcock's movie.

Why they even went to bats for the plane scene baffles me. A flock of birds could do the same thing and make more sense. Though maybe they didn't want to remind anyone of Hitchcock's movie.

Maybe they just wanted to emphasize how unusual the behavior was. Bats aren't out in the daytime. A flock of birds wouldn't automatically be known to be an ambush.

• Love 1

Maybe they just wanted to emphasize how unusual the behavior was. Bats aren't out in the daytime. A flock of birds wouldn't automatically be known to be an ambush.

I suppose, although clanstarling's post makes me wish it was parakeets or cardinals, but we wouldn't want to see them getting smushed. That might also be why Hitchcock went with crows—an enemy bird of farmers.
  • Love 1

I suppose, although clanstarling's post makes me wish it was parakeets or cardinals, but we wouldn't want to see them getting smushed. That might also be why Hitchcock went with crows—an enemy bird of farmers.

I kind of love the visual, shapeshifter. Very colorful kamikaze birds. I was thinking more like a flock of seagulls. They already swarm - though usually it's over a piece of bread.

• Love 2

After a few prison riots and guard deaths, prisons stopped arming guards with the walls of the prison. Even without guns, the guards shouldn't have run screaming into the prison without shutting the gates/doors behind them. That was beyond stupid. I think most of them have automatic systems to lock down the facility - but even so, there was time to just shut the damn doors. It's not like the wolves have opposable thumbs.

Were ALL the doors open at the same time?? It's a prison. The wolves shouldn't have made it past more than the second gate! Sorry, I still can't get over how dumb Wolf Prison Break was.

I will be here to see how they top that, though.

• Love 2
(edited)

But that wouldn't work at all -- wouldn't a flock of seagulls run, they run so far away.  They couldn't get away.

Thank you! I was looking for that joke, but it didn't come to me. You nailed it! LOL

Edited by clanstarling

But is the defiant pupil supposed to be a symptom, or the cause of the changes in the animals' brains? It's hard to see how changes in the eye could bring about changes in brain chemistry, communication, and cognition, but if it's only a symptom, then removing the eye wouldn't accomplish anything.

Wait, why am I trying to force the zoopocalypse to make sense?

• Love 1

But is the defiant pupil supposed to be a symptom, or the cause of the changes in the animals' brains? It's hard to see how changes in the eye could bring about changes in brain chemistry, communication, and cognition, but if it's only a symptom, then removing the eye wouldn't accomplish anything. Wait, why am I trying to force the zoopocalypse to make sense?

I'm guessing the pupils are supposed to indicate a change in neurochemistry that distinguish friend from foe. Without eyeballs/ eye sight the horses can't be aggravated by the sight of humans. So a symptom ...

Of course if a human can only tell if an animal is hostile by looking deep in their eyes then they're good as dead if they're not a main character.

What I find frustrating is that the shadowy head guy organises an entire strike force/ think team to deal with the animal kingdom revolution and yet apparently he has something better to do than help.

• Love 1

What I find frustrating is that the shadowy head guy organises an entire strike force/ think team to deal with the animal kingdom revolution and yet apparently he has something better to do than help.

Probably has to figure out a way to weaponize those defiant eyeballs!

I'm wondering if the use of bats rather than birds means the defiant pupil® is a mammals-only effect?

Not according to next week's promo. I'm still going with vertebrates until we see a gaggle (?) of killer octopuses/octopodes (they're already intelligent as hell and clairvoyant!) bringing a sub down.

• Love 1

I don't know if this thread is the place for this, but anyhow ...

I downloaded and read the novel, and now I just have to ask.  Why does Hollywood option a novel and then (a) not use the characters in the novel; (b) add new, useless and annoying characters; © change the plot so it no longer makes any sense; and (d) take scenes from the novel and put them in places in the story where they make absolutely no sense?

I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone but y'all ought to give the novel a read.  Get it from the library if you don't feel like parting with your ca$h-bucks.  Patterson is no Faulkner (he's not even Dean Koontz IMO) but he can at least write a straightforward plot.

That's my opinion, anyhow.

• Love 1

I downloaded and read the novel, and now I just have to ask.  Why does Hollywood option a novel and then (a) not use the characters in the novel; (b) add new, useless and annoying characters; © change the plot so it no longer makes any sense; and (d) take scenes from the novel and put them in places in the story where they make absolutely no sense?

I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone but y'all ought to give the novel a read.  Get it from the library if you don't feel like parting with your ca$h-bucks.  Patterson is no Faulkner (he's not even Dean Koontz IMO) but he can at least write a straightforward plot.

That part is easy. Film is a visual medium, and audiences require ACTION. Books are introspective. I think that's why most of Stephen King's books fail as movies; in the book, we know what the character thinks and feels. There's no image that goes with that.

• Love 2

Been watching since the second ep of this and loving it!  Cheesy, WTF but great summer fun.  Never knew BB before but like Mitch.  He reminds me of MacGuyver (RDA) in looks.  Love his snark  and knowing he's an "acquired taste".  Agreed the reporter has an annoying voice (I feel sorry for the actress if she's reading feedback.....takes a bit to modulate and drop your voice...voice trainer....but it can be done).  The guy playing the death row guy is awesome creepy.  Out-Manson indeed.  Prison massacre was in the WTF category for what you guys have said.  There must be sharp shooters who could come down from the towers....easy access since the wolves were running wild thru all gates.  And there must be emergency shut down buttons throughout the corridors.  But I loved it.....

Looking forward to tonite....

And I just have to ask, why does anyone have to read the book to enjoy what is just (IMO) a WTF, campy, fun TV show?  Sometimes I don't want to know the back story; I just want to enjoy what's on the screen.

*SIGH* Read the novel, don't read it, whatever.  I read it because I was curious and I found it diverged from the series significantly.  Doesn't stop me from watching the series; I think it's silly and fun.  Thought the same of the novel as well, BTW.  But I thought people who are watching the series might find it interesting to compare it to the novel. 

And the majority of my post was about Hollywood taking perfectly acceptable plots and characters and making changes for the worst for no discernable reason except possibly for the fact of assauging someone's ego.

• Love 2

What I want to know is how those wolves got IN the prison in the first place.  From what I've seen from years of watching "Lockup", most prisons don't offer an "open door" policy, with multiple doors and gates just standing open all the time.  Doors to the actual buildings are usually closed, and I've not yet met a wolf who knows how to open one.  All those guards running away from wolves only needed to go through a door and close it behind them to escape.  And how did the wolves open the doors to the cells to kill all the other prisoners?  Inquiring minds need to know.

I love this piece of summer fluff like I love cotton candy.

• Love 1
And how did the wolves open the doors to the cells to kill all the other prisoners?  Inquiring minds need to know.

That's why the wolves attacked the guy in the kitchen so that he would "accidentally" start a fire that would set off the fire alarm system and open all the doors in the prison, including the cell doors.  It was all part of the plan of these super-intelligent wolves, which was to make it look like a full-blown attack and kill everyone but it was all just a diversion for a jailbreak.

You know, they never did show how Manson-lite got out of that chain-link fence run he was in -- the one with the barbed wire missing above the door so he probably just climbed out.  These wolves have to be super-intelligent since they not only dug a hole under the fence for all the wolves and Manson-lite to escape, but then filled that hole back in to cover their escape.