Type keyword(s) to search

It's A Lunchtime Poll!

• Start Topic

POLL OPEN

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(edited)

I think it's the same like 2 people complaining about others snarking on lead characters or posters using nicknames weekly. I don't think the opinions and humor of many should pander or change to please the few. If a character is on the lead story and the show centers around them it should be ok to talk about them or snark on what they're doing. They are fictional and no ones family members. LOL.

People did the same to Sami and EJ and do it about Dan and Nicole and Will and John ect ect. Now suddenly I feel I should edit my criticism and all paranoid because of chronic complaints and flagging. I mean its a soap. They are going to be characters who are trashy or villains and mocked. My favorites are mocked too. I enjoy it.

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 2

I like to read character-specific ranting and praise mixed in with all the other ranting and praise.  It keeps things interesting.  Also, I'm lazy and don't want to have to keep track of more than a few threads.  So my preference is to keep keep things as they are.

• Love 4
(edited)

Since statistically Failure is onscreen at least 3x a week, and pushed and pushed, I think it's just fine discussing her on the current episodes.  Not sure why there is this kerfuffle.  If you like her just say so, nobody's going to bother.  So much show time deserves comments.  Dingy Dan too.  Nobody's getting into a bother about that as far as I can tell.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

I don't complain about it, so it's not just "the same 2 people", but (and I guess I'm complaining about it now), it's sometimes a pain to wade through multiple posts in the current plot thread that do little more than validate a shared hatred (or love) of a few characters and don't actually add to the discussion of the topic. I've learned to skim over most posts that mention Abby because so many of them are repetitive, and I've taken to skipping a post entirely once I see Sami's name unless I'm in the mood to revisit the past. I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

• Love 1

I also skip over the many, many posts about the character Abigail as most are not about the show but about her looks.  I don't complain because to each his own, but it would be great if was in a character thread.

• Love 1

I like the character thread in some instances.  For example, the Sonny Corinthos thread at the GH forum is useful, especially because the character has such a long - and loathsome history, so the daily thread isn't clogged with old his old and numerous messes.  

Abigail doesn't have the sort of history, at least not yet.  But as oceanblue said, a character thread could be a place to share complaints, comments, etc., that aren't really show-related.

But I'm against separating out current characters because posters have divisive feelings about the character.  Recent happenings with that character do have their place in a daily events thread, as do conclusions based upon that characters behavior, and other character's attitude towards them.

I don't always like, and I certainly don't always agree with everything I read, and I'm positive that sometimes my posts annoy some of you.  How could both those things not be true sometimes?  But I read most of them anyway, skim through some, and in a few instances, use the Ignore feature - but not very often.   As oceanblue also said, "to each his own".  

I enjoy this board too much to get bothered by opinions that might not mirror mine. 

Besides, you all are too damn witty for me to want to skip very much!

• Love 5

We don't need a separate thread for characters..I like  that in this site in that we don't engage in fan base wars..I like Will and Guy Wilson and I do not get offended by the criticisms leveled at the character and actor..We are all entitled to our opinions and we are doing it in fun and love for our crazy show...

• Love 4

I read the GH board which has several threads dedicated to specific characters/families. On the one had it's nice because it helps prevent the main thread from being filled with pages and pages of posts talking about one character, on the other hand, it can be tedious and a bit overwhelming to log on and see that 9 threads that I'm interested in all have new posts.

I feel the number of posts made about Abby correlates with how often she's on. If she weren't on screen or being talked about by other characters 12 times a week I doubt there would be so many posts about her. Giving Abby her on thread would probably be welcome by people who like her or are neutral but I think it would also interrupt the flow of discussion. And as boes said, I don't think Abby has a long enough history to warrant her on thread. Every discussion about her is based on current happenings or happenings in the not so distant past.

• Love 3

I'm on the fence about it, but if you do, please use the character's REAL name and not some of the stupid made-up nicknames. Newbies will thank you ;-)

Also could we please use the correct spelling of a character's name? IOW, the correct spelling for Stefano is Stefano!

To add some clairity it's not just a few posters complaining about Abigail today. It's been an ongoing underlying problem that we get reports & PMs about on any character with pile on posts. (Meaning a bunch of posts that add nothing to the discussion except "I hate that character.") It's totally fair to snark about a front and center plot line involving a character you hate full stop. There is also the time when it becomes boring and repetitive to read. You should be able to see that I am SUPER laid back about this and have only asked that you guys dial it back. I don't delete posts or edit them and I am pretty nice about letting you guys roll along. This is my attempt to help make this place a spot where everyone likes to post and have a great time by making you included in the decision making process. I just want to keep the conversation moving!

• Love 7

I'm not even sure an individual character thread is needed for some of the less tenured characters. Maybe a catch all thread for people we hate, where we can vent about Daniel's chest hair or Will's pursed lips without interrupting the flow of current plot discussion?
Or maybe one for each core family, similar to the teen scene thread, where we can discuss particular characters, past and present, when it doesn't have any bearing on current plotlines?  It's fun to dissect people like Sami or Nicole, and people love to hate on the Hortons, but it's very easy for that kind of conversation to take over. It'd be nice to have a proper place for it. 

• Love 2

To add some clairity it's not just a few posters complaining about Abigail today. It's been an ongoing underlying problem that we get reports & PMs about on any character with pile on posts. (Meaning a bunch of posts that add nothing to the discussion except "I hate that character.") It's totally fair to snark about a front and center plot line involving a character you hate full stop. There is also the time when it becomes boring and repetitive to read. You should be able to see that I am SUPER laid back about this and have only asked that you guys dial it back. I don't delete posts or edit them and I am pretty nice about letting you guys roll along. This is my attempt to help make this place a spot where everyone likes to post and have a great time by making you included in the decision making process. I just want to keep the conversation moving!

This is all so true and the free-wheeling place that is Previously.tv - within the limits of respect to other posters and ditching slut-shaming and the nasty terms that even our own soaps far too often use for women is why I visit this site more than any other place on the internet.  It's my first stop in the morning and I'm dropping by throughout the day.

We've all had other forum experiences, and perhaps some were as unpleasant as mine were at times.  I stayed away from forums for years after getting burned by the toxicity of one that shall not be named.  But this place is fantastic, both in the smarts, wit, humor, and the freedom of it all.

And, the most important component in making this all work are the mods.  You do a great job, and you are appreciated - a lot.  

• Love 7

Maybe a "History" thread could be created where people can talk about past characters or stories that don't have anything to do with current plots. And maybe if someone just wants to scream out 'I hate this character" without adding anything relevant to the current discussion it can be put in the "Bitterness" thread. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I also think that when we deviate from the current episode at hand, it can give it more depth..For example, if we are talking about the Wilson storyline, we can reference Will's past and his family dynamics to give  us a better understanding of the character and  to inform people who were not watching Will, when he was growing up in Salem...People don't attack each other on here, we can agree to disagree..Like I said earlier, it is not a fan base war on here....Alot of the complaints on here are universal in other forums, like the dominance of the orange doctor and the stupidity of the Wilson/Paul triangle, the ineptness of Ken Corday e.t.c ...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

I like to be able to read all the comments in one place.  It's easier, and often times it's impossible to talk about just one character without referencing others.  The history of the show is very likely going to come up in discussion when it involves a character that has been on the canvas for years.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think that core family threads would be better than ones on individual characters. Having individual threads would create too many potential threads.   Also, much of the discussion of characters include discussions on family history or how a family is being portrayed. I like the idea of family threads because then we could talk about the show history without it feeling like we're getting off track. Some of the individual character venting has its root in the way a family as a whole is being written or represented in Salem. ETA:  I enjoy reading about the family/show histories in the main thread. However, think it would be a good middle ground between one main thread and multiple character threads.

In terms of Abigail, she's on a lot.  Discussion gets repetitive because the writing is repetitive - the lack of character growth does Abigail no favors. She is and will continue to be one of the show leads with her storyline expanding to bring more people in. I don't know if a character thread would help lessen the discussion on her when she is on roughly a third of the show.        

Edited by Wowzer
  • Love 4

Abigail's discussed for pages even when she's not on the episodes  or even worth talking about, the daily discussions end up being pages of just Abigail vitriol. Which a lot has nothing to do with what ever happened on the episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the reason there is so much contempt for Abigail is because just like the orange doctor, she is forced down our throat as a heroine, when she is clearly not one...She was one when played by Ashley Benson, who was great as Abigail..Kate plays her as a vixen.....She plays her more like a Johnson than a Horton...The one thing that is consistent with all of the Abigails is that she was always a bit obsessive....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Abigail's discussed for pages even when she's not on the episodes  or even worth talking about, the daily discussions end up being pages of just Abigail vitriol. Which a lot has nothing to do with what ever happened on the episode.

And that's why the show is giving her so much screentime. Positive or negative, she generates discussion. That's all the show cares about. lol

• Love 2

OK there are some good suggestions here! I like the idea of a history thread for the families just because examining those relationships historically is fun. I also like taking your "ARGGGHH" comments to the Bitterness thread so it's not cluttering up daily chat. Also if someone just posts a lot and you really really hate what they have to say all the time, consider the ignore feature. It works really well to make your experience a pleasant one!

So I'll work on it and see if I can make some little changes here and there and see what you think. Keep in mind we can make a thread and if it doesn't get any traffic we can delete it. (or I can anyway!) So things can be fluid and we'll see what works. 

Thanks for being involved and making sure I know what you think works and doesn't work. All my soaps are divided up differently so it's good to know what works for each forum population. I'm the soap mod for ALL the daytime soaps except GH so some days it's all I can do to remember which Hope is which and am I talking about Sami or Maya? It can be a little headspinning! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I rather things stay the way they are. If characters have their own threads, chances are I'm not going to look in it. I just like discussing them in the current storylines that they are in. As far as Abby goes, it's not just her that is bad mouthed it's Dan's character as well along with Eric and we talk negatively of Jen, Will, Paul, John,Clyde, Ben, & Xander as well. If you're on 4 days out of the 5 days that Days is on, you're gonna get talked about. I can bet that if she wasn't on so much she wouldn't get talked about a lot. Kate has barely been on recently and she hasn't been mentioned in quite a bit or her roles when she's on is so minimal it's not worth talking about. 

When JJ and Eve were having an affair we talked about them a lot cause it was featured heavily. I love snarking I have to entertain myself somehow when the shows that are on is just flat out boring. Plus I recap it for people who are not able to watch the show so I think I'm due a snark here and there lol.  

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 8

I kind of like the idea of family threads. Where you can discuss more general themes regarding characters especially if discussion on the current stories thread starts delving into history more than the current show.

• Love 2

I voted for "I don't care but I think you are the best mod ever!" so I don't really have a personal opinion here. But, looking at who has chimed in, I would say that there is no point in separate threads - the people whose posts would be most relevant to those separate threads have all come down on the side of no. So those separate threads would be doomed to fail because those posters wouldn't participate, and it means that those who were hoping to get such posts into other threads than the Current Plot Discussion one will not get their wish. So nobody would end up happy.