Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Viper in the Palace

Molly and Sammy go to Abbudin to address the dispute over his inheritance; Jamal and Tariq's feud over military strategy reaches the point of no return; Barry is afraid his cover will be blown and that those who helped him could be in danger when the Army of the Caliphate arrives.

I guess this will now unite Barry and Jamal. Jamal saying Barry was right all along and feeling wrong that he killed him, added to Barry refusing to run and fighting for his country. 

Molly and Sammy could go back to America. Them being there is so pointless. Isn't she a doctor too? They have to have money, they need the family money inheritance so bad they'd go back to Abbudin.

Glad Barry killed that Pig, then gave his wife the bracelet.

She definitely was going to kill herself back at the village.

Now it's getting interesting, with Barry finally saying enough of this shit

And Jamal admitting,he was wrong.

The opening had me cringing, when those people were killed.

• Love 4

This was a pretty good episode except for the brief unnecessary scene of Molly, Sammy and creepy lawyer guy at the airport. I'm surprised they were able to get Visas

Wouldn't Barry be able to do more for Abuddin by getting out and free where he could speak to Western Powers? How will his being a foot soldier help at all?

I continue to love Jamal as a character. I just wish they hadn't made him a rapist in the early episodes. They could have made him a despotic playboy while his father was alive without making him so worthy of hate. Although the paradox of him being ruthless and sociopathic vs wanting to be a good leader and ruler is probably what makes him fascinating.

• Love 2
(edited)

I gave up on this show last season, but caught a few of this season's episodes. I thought this was the best episode of the season. 

I like how they showed how women and children are the true victims of these brutal men's (including Jamal's) ruthless pursuit of power. Barry killing the two men was the first time that he acted in character this season or at least the first I recognized and believed that it was him. 

Barry and Jamal are clearly going to become reluctant allies, unbeknownst to Jamal. Barry will end up having his own army that rival Jamal's. His army will be comprised of the villagers and the Bedouins. I thought that Barry would kill Jamal, now I think that his military or the militants will kill him and Barry will become the Tyrant.

I always read complaints about Barry's family, but Molly and Sammy returning is an important plot point. They will be Jamal's hostages and guarantors of  Barry's loyalty and good behavior when Jamal finds out that he is alive. I don't even think that Sammy really wants the money as much as he wants to see Abdul. He is a teenager in love so he is acting irrationally. The previews indicate that it is only when he goes to court that the reality of his actions hit him.

Edited by SimoneS

Adam Rayner continues to be utterly unable to emote.  There were some pretty high emotion scenes happening around him but he just looked like he couldn't decide if he wanted Chipotle or Panera for dinner.  It's a nerve-wracking decision, I tell ya.  

I really hope they give Emma something to do because otherwise it would be disappointing to lose the only likeable character (apart from the Bedouins).  Perhaps there will be future plot reasons for Sam and Molly to return, but it still stands that they've had them return for the most unlikely reason in a most contrived way.  No way would they have passed through passport control without being whisked away to a private room.  Also no way would the Al-Fayeed family not be made aware that Bassam's kid would be making court appearance to claim a significant amount of money.  It's all so ridiculous, and this isn't even touching on the part where no way would a mother have agreed to this thing so soon after her husband was just 'executed' and she was told to get out and another gassing took place just down the road from where she had been staying.  I mean, seriously.  Who cares if the kid is going to turn 18, a parent would say, "hey, I know you can just go on your own when you turn 18 in a few weeks/months, but lets just wait and breathe for a minute and maybe watch the news and monitor events so that we can be a little more prepared because I'm your parent and it's important for me to teach you how to be a person instead of encouraging you to run off whenever you get a wild hair up your ass."

I am almost hoping that Jamal pulls a "Bassam and I planned for this all along" when it's discovered that Barry is still alive and that he's working against the terrorist army from the inside.  Jamal is so despicable, but he's also such a great joy to watch.  I don't want Barry to win at anything.  

• Love 3

So, as some mentioned last week, Caliphate really is their show's version of ISIS, right down to American citizens getting recruited, only to find out what they really got themselves into, especially the women.  It really sucks that the second wife was spared execution, only to end up being taken prisoner as a potential rape victim for the Caliphate leader.  And the fact that it was the guy's other wife that actually suggested it, just makes it even worse.  Hope go down hard.

Of course, they get the first victory over Tariq's helicopters, so this is going to be far from over.  Despite being Leila's dad, I really wonder how much he has left here.  Jamal never really was a fan of him, but it's been getting worse and worse this season.  He's been ignoring Jamal's wishes and now he's practically falling on his face.  Jamal is right that he is underestimating the rebels, and I won't blame Jamal if he feels like it's time for some changes.  In short, watch your ass, Tariq!

Glad Barry's host chewed him out for always running and hiding, and Barry's now finally going to do something.  It sure looks like he's anti-Caliphate, so I have to think this is going to lead to what was thought impossible: Barry and Jamal re-teaming, to stop that threat.  That's good, since the only times I ever really care about Barry are when it involves Jamal.

Oh, look: Molly and Sam are now here.  That's nice.  Moving on...

• Love 1

Of course, they get the first victory over Tariq's helicopters, so this is going to be far from over.  Despite being Leila's dad, I really wonder how much he has left here.  ... he's practically falling on his face. 

Tariq is Laila's father? I thought he was Jamal and Barry's father's brother? They both call him uncle, dont' they? Why would Barry call Laila's father "Uncle"?

I actually have a bit of a problem with the way Tariq was protrayed in this episode. The guy is ruthless and shrewd. I find it hard to believe he could miscalculate so badly several times in a row, and then also be tongue tied about it in front of Jamal. From his persepctive, after serving Jamal's father, Jamal is just an inexperienced "prince" to be tolerated, not someone to fear.  Or maybe almost getting strangled knocked some sense into him.

They really softened Jamal. Season 1 Jamal would have had Tariq put on a rack for repeated screw ups.

They did get Isis right but that leader doesn't look right with the groomed do and trimmed beard. He looks like youthful Tom Cruise from Rain Man. He's Kid Mullah.

Looks like Rashid has some misgivings about the behavior of his university classmate. Maybe he turns on him.

Barry gets the jump on a couple of guys, kills them in self defense, but now is going to be a fighter? He may care about his country of birth and even Jamal but over his immediate family? It would make more sense if he got to Lebanon, called home, only to find Sammy and Molly are in Abbudin and he goes back.

I guess maybe the rest of the season could turn into a war action movie, at least for a couple of episodes and that could be entertaining, maybe draw better ratings.

But that could mean they shelve the moral questions raised in the first season.

As if they weren't taking enough risks already, Molly decides to start quizzing her son about his ex-boyfriend in public in a country where homosexuality is illegal.

How the hell did this woman get through high school, much less college or medical school?

• Love 7

Tariq is not Leila's father; her father was the telecommunications mogul from last season who was threatened by Jamal. We haven't seen him since. Tariq is Jamal and Barry's father's brother.

IIRC the telecommunications guy was the father of Jamal's daughter-in-law, not Leila's father.

• Love 1

It's all so ridiculous, and this isn't even touching on the part where no way would a mother have agreed to this thing so soon after her husband was just 'executed' and she was told to get out and another gassing took place just down the road from where she had been staying.  I mean, seriously.  Who cares if the kid is going to turn 18, a parent would say, "hey, I know you can just go on your own when you turn 18 in a few weeks/months, but lets just wait and breathe for a minute and maybe watch the news and monitor events so that we can be a little more prepared because I'm your parent and it's important for me to teach you how to be a person instead of encouraging you to run off whenever you get a wild hair up your ass."

That's not the only ridiculous thing in this episode -- those two rebels just HAPPEN to mosey over the hill right near where Bassam and what's-her-face are?  And one of them is her "husband?"  The pretty second wife is released back to her family, only to be abducted five minutes later?  What the hell?

That's not the only ridiculous thing in this episode -- those two rebels just HAPPEN to mosey over the hill right near where Bassam and what's-her-face are?  And one of them is her "husband?"  The pretty second wife is released back to her family, only to be abducted five minutes later?  What the hell?

I actually thought those two things made complete sense.  The husband and the other rebel beat up the man Bassam stayed with and the son then revealed where Bassam would be going and how he would get there, the path being pretty specific.  Then the husband and other rebel took off.  They were able to catch up since Bassam and wifey took so much time chit chatting and also dealing with sprained ankle.

The only reason the pretty wife was saved is because Caliphate leader had already decided he wanted her.  I suspect that it's to illustrate that he's not a true believer, but enjoys the power he gets by being a leader in the movement.  Some of that power is to steal and rape women.  It seemed as though this sort of thing happened before.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Well that one was hard to watch. I guess it was too close to reality. So are Jamaal and Bashaam going to team up against the Caliphate? The Tyrant keeps changing. Molly and crew just cause the show to come to a grinding halt.

Edited by Rhetorica
I always read complaints about Barry's family, but Molly and Sammy returning is an important plot point.

That's all the are though. The complaints are that the family is boring and ignorant. There's complaints about the actor, but Molly's been written all over the place.

I did laugh when Sammy called Abdul and Molly was like "a *friend*?" Because all gay dudes hit it like rabbits. Nice parenting, Mols. 

No way would they have passed through passport control without being whisked away to a private room.

Seriously, I'm surprised they weren't put on a no-fly list. Not that their dangerous, but entering the country is a huge diplomatic nightmare. 

I am almost hoping that Jamal pulls a "Bassam and I planned for this all along" when it's discovered that Barry is still alive and that he's working against the terrorist army from the inside.

If it's not going to be my Preacher outcome, I'll take this one. 

I find it hard to believe he could miscalculate so badly several times in a row, and then also be tongue tied about it in front of Jamal.

To be fair, the real life IS was underestimated in terms of organization and firepower too. Plus, they thought the guy was dead, though they couldn't find the body, so they stopped paying attention. That was the short sighted part. Had they tracked him to Syria, they might have been better prepared. 

Barry gets the jump on a couple of guys, kills them in self defense, but now is going to be a fighter?

That would be ridiculous for me, which is why I'm pushing my Preacher analogy. He's already a "healer" and seen everything up close. He can motivate everyone with Big Speeches. Which will be cool because Jamal will hear of this Preacher character and wonder who it is. 

That's not the only ridiculous thing in this episode -- those two rebels just HAPPEN to mosey over the hill right near where Bassam and what's-her-face are?

No, they were told where the checkpoint was by the family, when they were beating the father. The son said "Lebanon" and then presumably from how it looked, they told about the checkpoint. So they probably hustled to the checkpoint and worked there way back. It's a tv cheat, but ok for me. Molly and Sammy getting into the country is far more egregious. (And I see it was already explained.)

I think it might have been better to end last season with Barry being dumped in the desert and being found. To move things along a little quicker. 

I think it might have been better to end last season with Barry being dumped in the desert and being found. To move things along a little quicker. 

I think it might have been better to end last season with the entire Barry family getting wacked and then we could just watch Lord and Lady Macbeth battle rebels, ISIS, their own stupid offspring, the Chinese, and bloodthirsty uncles. Jamal and Laila can carry this show all by themselves. We dont' need Barry, Molly or Sammy AT ALL.

• Love 3

Wouldn't Barry be able to do more for Abuddin by getting out and free where he could speak to Western Powers? How will his being a foot soldier help at all?

I continue to love Jamal as a character. I just wish they hadn't made him a rapist in the early episodes.

I couldn't even figure out what team Barry thought he was going to join to "help his country." 

The original insurgents used to be the designated good guys, in spite of that one understated exchange several episodes ago when the journalist father asked his daughter:  "And when you overthrow Jamal, who will run the country?  Will the fundamentalists be in charge or will there be a democracy?  Will the leaders be religious or political?  "  And she handwaved all that pesky stuff away, with "We'll figure that out after the Al Fayeeds are deposed."   What the fuck???

So now the anti-oppressors are even more oppressive.  Messy. 

Will Barry start picking off the Caliphate with his sniper rifle or go back to Jamal or drum up his own army from the pure of heart?  He'd have packed the most punch continuing on to Lebanon and dialing The International Herald Tribune.

But that's just not Barry's way, snort.

I'd like to empathize with the improved and conflicted Jamal, but I'm a grudgeholder and I still can't get past that woman whose family watched her being raped every few days.  Seems like Season One Jamal would still be snipping off some fingertips here and there, just to relieve the pressure.

I thought Faisal's wife must be an Amanda Lindhout captive type and was shocked when she turned out to be a disillusioned volunteer.  ("Comforter.")   But that was good.  If they could find the time, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that perspective, although maybe the two Bedouin sons will serve that purpose. 

Yes, Molly's ". . .friennnnnnd?" was the episode howler.

• Love 1
(edited)
I did laugh when Sammy called Abdul and Molly was like "a *friend*?" Because all gay dudes hit it like rabbits. Nice parenting, Mols.

I took it as Sammy is a horny teenager more than he's a horny gay teenager. Mileage, and all that.

Edited by dubbel zout

Here's a salute to the German woman.  She only had one line and her death was mainly a tension builder for whether Second Wife would be next, but it was just so good to include that story--i.e.  the opportunity for a large chunk of the population to significantly improve their living conditions, how it was ruined and why those offers won't be extended again anytime soon. 

I know this is being called a soap opera, but someone in the writers' room is doing a good job painting the smaller pictures, like the volunteer from Chicago and the solar liaison from Germany.

• Love 1

I have to say the special effects with the shooting down of the helicopters was pretty good for a TV show, especially the way the last helicopter spun around after being hit and then crashed into the village.

But some people noted they were taking down the copters with RPGs, not SAMs?  Oh well.

The other thing is, Tariq is used to repressing unarmed or lightly armed civilians but he may not know how to deal with quasi military, which are well-armed and organized.

Maybe Jamal has to call on the bastard son.

(edited)
handwaved all that pesky stuff away, with "We'll figure that out after the Al Fayeeds are deposed."   What the fuck???

So now the anti-oppressors are even more oppressive.  Messy.

Usually it's interfering countries like the US that handwave the potential for a messy aftermath when deposing whoever they deem tyrants. (Afgansistan, cough, Charlie Wilson's War, cough, cough)

I'm actually liking the way this is shaping up. It's looking less like a soap opera (or would if we could get rid of Barry, his family, and all the eyerolling stuff around them) and more like an interesting show about the complexity of bringing any change to decades of one Tyranical regime, which almost always results in replacing it with something equally as bad, if not worse. At this point we have any number of potential "Tyrants" to fill the title role, and that's where the fascination for me is.

Plus Ashraf Barhom is hitting it out of the park consistently every episode, no matter how INCONSISTENT his character is written. I can believe ALL of it. If only they'd cast someone that good as Barry, I might believe his character too. At the moment, he's just a 2 dimensional cardboard set piece.

Moran Atias is amazing too. I missed seeing more of her in this episode.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1
I took it as Sammy is a horny teenager more than he's a horny gay teenager. Mileage, and all that.

I question whether she'd say "friend" like that if Sammy said, "that was my friend Lisa." And if so, ew, Molly. It's still intrusive. Why say it at all? "Oh, I didn't you kept in touch with anyone from here. That's nice."

Do they not have FB, snapchat, etc., in this world? I asked my class of 18-20 y/o if anyone regularly chatted with friends from other countries. 50 out 50 hands went up. 

• Love 1

I asked my class of 18-20 y/o if anyone regularly chatted with friends from other countries. 50 out 50 hands went up. 

This surprises me and makes me ridiculously happy.  I bet you couldn't find 100 passports in my county.  Progress!!

However, in some politically repressive regimes, it could be risky to use social media.

A gay guy in the US communicating with a gay guy in an Arab or Islamic country may be taking on more risk than two people in different European nations sending snapchats to each other.

Normally teens wouldn't be so clingy like they appear to be making Sammy?

I'm not talking about gay. Friends snapchatting with friends in other countries is common was my point. Or FB messenger. Or whatsapp. Take your pick. The point that Molly found that surprising is weird. I would think both the kids have friends from all over even if they never met irl.

I question whether she'd say "friend" like that if Sammy said, "that was my friend Lisa."

If she'd recently caught him bed with a girl, probably.

Do they not have FB, snapchat, etc., in this world?

Only when it's convenient for the plot. 

Even so, just because you caught your near-adult child having sex doesn't mean they're having sex with everyone they talk to on the phone. I mean, come on. It was a clunky line. 

It was a clunky line--and foreshadowing, I think, that Sammy is about to have a major storyline with the same-sex prohibition.  Lucky he brought legal representation.  Maybe Barry will be forced to make a dramatic entrance!

Seems like I just watched all this with Loras Tyrell and the High Sparrow in Game of Thrones.

(edited)
I guess this will now unite Barry and Jamal. Jamal saying Barry was right all along and feeling wrong that he killed him, added to Barry refusing to run and fighting for his country.

I predicted in the episode one thread that the brothers would team up against Tariq and a military coup. Battling the show version of ISIS is almost as good.

I can't figure out what Barry thinks he is doing. By almost any measure, getting a message out and being rescued and then talking to media would do more good for everyone involved then losing himself with the bedouins.

You knew that The Gay with his son was coming back, eventually.

Edited by Ottis