Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Tut for Tat

• Start Topic

Oh boy! Another scene where people get angry that they got assigned a tough tattoo, because obviously the honorable thing to is for the skull-picker to take all the difficult ones for themselves. I hope we get another round of people explaining that rib tattoos are difficult.

• Love 6

There have been times in the past when the skull-picker deliberately took a difficult one to "show off what [he] could do". It usually backfires. I had hoped they had buried this aspect of the show when we hadn't seen it in prior episodes this season.

Eh, I didn't mind the guest judge.  At least he was honestly critiquing the work based on what the challenge was supposed to be.  And if he (or anyone else) knocks down some of these inktestants who find the need to continually remind us how awesome their awesome awesomeness is, fine by me.

Drawing a blank on the name of the guy who got booted but that was too bad because I think he was a genuinely good artist.  Certainly better than the weepy chick.  And far, far less annoying than St. Marq who needs a big old mug of STFU.

• Love 3
Eh, I didn't mind the guest judge.  At least he was honestly critiquing the work based on what the challenge was supposed to be.

I actually didn't mind him so much either and didn't think he was too harsh. But I don't think the sarcophagus challenge was explained well. The actor guy kept basing his opinions on how authentically Egyptian they looked, but did anyone ever say that that was the goal?

I actually didn't mind him so much either and didn't think he was too harsh. But I don't think the sarcophagus challenge was explained well. The actor guy kept basing his opinions on how authentically Egyptian they looked, but did anyone ever say that that was the goal?

It seems that they did say they wanted them done authentic but they stressed moreso that detail was what they were looking for.  Given that the majority of the "teams" didn't go for Egyptian, I would say the directions weren't explained well or no one was listening. 

I do recall the actor/guest judge saying that the sarcophagus would tell a story about the life of the person inside which I thought was cool.  The inktestants should have been told that.

• Love 2
(edited)

I fell asleep last night during the elimination tattoo critique and woke up when they sent someone home, and when I woke up this morning, I remembered absolutely nothing about the whole episode - subject, guest judge, nothing at all - except that St. Marq was a dick.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole season so far.

Edited by AnnieBananie
  • Love 4
(edited)

It seems that they did say they wanted them done authentic but they stressed moreso that detail was what they were looking for.  Given that the majority of the "teams" didn't go for Egyptian, I would say the directions weren't explained well or no one was listening. 

I do recall the actor/guest judge saying that the sarcophagus would tell a story about the life of the person inside which I thought was cool.  The inktestants should have been told that.

Maybe it was explained and it was cut out--after all, there needs to be enough time to show us multiple instances of shit-talking instead! That said, I feel like, if none of the finished sarcophagi were all that Egyptian in nature, the best rendered work should have won. It's already kind of a blur to me not even 24 hours later but I don't feel like that was the case.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
(edited)

Have absolutely no problem with who got sent home. MV might be a great artist normally, but that sphinx body looked like a shar-pei. There was no saving that monstrosity.

I was thinking something along the lines of a pitbull who put on a baggy union suit and went as a Shar-pei for Halloween...

Speaking of absolutely no problems, I had none with the guest judge or his comments.  The more he talked, the more I got to look at all that pretty of his.  Maybe that was clouding my mind, but I did enjoy most of what he had to say.

I love Egyptian art so I was kind of dreading it this early, but outside of a few glaring exceptions most of them put out some pretty nice looking work.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2

I admire how much this show is willing to do product placement. The sponsor is Kraken rum? Fine; everyone has to tattoo a kraken. There's a Tutankhamun miniseries? The whole episode can be Egyptian-themed. Nothing really gets in the way of the show, since they need a theme each week anyway. 

• Love 4

I liked MV.

Annie, I think every episode should be SUBTITLED: St Marq is a dick, i.e., Tut for Tat: St Marq is a dick. Season Finale: St Marq is a dick.

I actually didn't think anyone could be a bigger dick than Scott Marshall, but there ya go. At least Scott Marshall has serious tattoo chops.

Because it can't be said enough: Joshua Hibbard FTW!!! (I'll never give up the dream.)

• Love 4

As much as I hate underboob tattoos (the new tramp stamp), the Isis that Tyler did was stunning. I was rather torn between his black and grey Isis, and the color version done by Dave (which was equally gorgeous). In the end, I think that the black and grey gave Tyler the opportunity to get some more minute detail and shading that got the judges attention.

And I'm going to disagree with the judges, but I liked Earl's Anubus a lot more than Katie's (which looked like a one-eyed rabid dog). Anubis is kind of a zen, above it all Death deity so to have him snarling and baring teeth just seemed wrong. Kruseman and Craig both did beautiful Nephritis images (again, the toss up between black and grey vs color) and only Big Ceeze got the Tut mask right. I also liked Chris's sphinx (the only one who got it right). The Elvis smirk on Marisa's sphinx still has me chuckling, but at least her's is fixable (unlike MV's). 

Starting a collection to purchase a muzzle for St. Marq...

• Love 1
(edited)
As much as I hate underboob tattoos (the new tramp stamp)

There's nothing wrong with a "tramp stamp" (stupid name)--I think it's an awesome spot for a girl to have a tattoo. And maybe even kind of bad-ass a little too, considering how much that spot hurts compared to lots of other areas...in my opinion, anyway.  

The Shar-Pei sphinx looked crazy. But it also looked like the work was done well. From what I could see anyway; they should show the work more closely and for longer. I mean, I can stop it and stare all I want, of course, but that gets old fast (and when I'm drinking, I don't control the pause button so well sometimes).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
(edited)
Yeah, I'm tired of the "tramp stamp" thing. Apparently some tattoo artists are calling rib tattoos "skank flanks." Nice. Way to alienate all female clients.

It's also mocking their own craft! It doesn't really say much about a tattooist if he's badmouthing, yet still doing, the work. And "skank flank"! Holy hell, man--all we hear is how tough that spot is to endure and yet it's viewed as some trashy thing to do (for women, that is; maybe men are rugged and respected for it).

I am proud to say that my tattoo guy doesn't do that! He's used the term "tramp stamp" in a conversation (with me, but I'm also now his friend and not just his customer) but he also makes it clear that he thinks that spot on the body is almost always flattering and is also a good "canvas."

Also, your user name! I just noticed it! HA!

Does anyone here have a rib piece? I'm wondering how it felt? Does it matter how much "padding" there is on the area? Everyone's different and all, so grain of salt but I'm curious. My friend just got a big old kraken on his side and he said it felt awful.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I liked MV.

Annie, I think every episode should be SUBTITLED: St Marq is a dick, i.e., Tut for Tat: St Marq is a dick. Season Finale: St Marq is a dick.

I actually didn't think anyone could be a bigger dick than Scott Marshall, but there ya go. At least Scott Marshall has serious tattoo chops.

Because it can't be said enough: Joshua Hibbard FTW!!! (I'll never give up the dream.)

I co-sign all of the above.  Most especially Josh for the win.  I floved Josh.

I loved Scott and thought Josh's arrogance and whininess far out-paced his talent. St Marq makes me laugh, he's a tool for sure. His Tut tat wasn't bad at all, if it had been a challenge on shading but it wasn't and he screwed himself. lol.

I decided that this show is much more amusing when I pretend that it's a comedic parody. That way when St. Marq says things like, "As a self proclaimed tattoo god," I just laugh. When he says things like "more happy," This guy is just butchering the English language ("I'm the least guy you want to go up against"). I pretend he is deliberately being ignorant of the English language. My imaginary parody situation also makes Chris wearing overalls every week somehow make sense because that's his costume.

Also hilarious this week:

Tyler: I'm from Miami. I love underboob tattoos!

Katie: It looks like it came to Egypt by way of TIjuana.

It also cracks me up when people on reality shows say things ilke, "I'm not playing anymore." Oh, so you were just lackadaisical in previous weeks but NOW you're going to make an effort?

I didn't think the guest judge was any harsher than the other judges. I liked that he had very specific critiques (like the yellow parts on the two wings not being even).

Ha, Marissa's sphinx definitely had a marble mouth and that alleged snake on the headdress was just a weird blob. But she lucked out since she was against the sharpei sphinx.

• Love 2

Damn Katie was annoying. Her Tattoo looked like someone had released a rabid Rottweiler in an Egyptian display and wackiness ensued.  She also pissed me off with the "Mandala" on the Sarcophagus.

Marisa was clearly the weakest of the bottom three. MV might have put a Shar-Pei on the body of a sphinx but at least it was detailed. Marisa scratched out a crude Elvis sphinx with absolutely no detail. No detail in a detail challenge and yet she stays...Shenanigans!

• Love 1

Marisa was clearly the weakest of the bottom three. MV might have put a Shar-Pei on the body of a sphinx but at least it was detailed. Marisa scratched out a crude Elvis sphinx with absolutely no detail. No detail in a detail challenge and yet she stays...Shenanigans!

I agree, Wasn't this challenge about detail? MV had detail, Marissa's sphinx looked like a child drew it, it was awful. And while I could fnd no sharpei sphinx images, there are plenty that emphasize the lion part of the body, wrinkles and all: https://www.google.com/search?q=sphinx+drawings&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDkQ7AlqFQoTCLP988yq4sYCFUR7kgodCU8KqQ&biw=1280&bih=891

• Love 1

Wow, that guest judge was pretty.  Almost as pretty is that one contestant with the really stupid face tattoos.  I'm face tattoo neutral, but his are ugly, make no sense, and distract from what would otherwise be a mess of pretty.  

• Love 2

I wish I knew names better so I knew who y'all are rooting for. I like the black guy with the huge ear things...I think his name is Craig.

Except for the winners I thought the sarcophagus' were too busy and so bright they hurt my eyes. I know the real ones have faded over time but were they really that bright to start with?

I'm glad St. Marq got a little bit of YSDS this week. He seemed to still think it smells great though.

Wow, that guest judge was pretty.  Almost as pretty is that one contestant with the really stupid face tattoos.  I'm face tattoo neutral, but his are ugly, make no sense, and distract from what would otherwise be a mess of pretty.  

Young guy with shiny hair?  Tyler, I think. He reminds me of someone and I just can't put my finger on who.

Young guy with shiny hair?  Tyler, I think. He reminds me of someone and I just can't put my finger on who.

I think he looks like River Phoenix.  Only with stupid face tattoos and ugly ear gauges.

• Love 3