Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I think part of it is that MG oversold the crap out of it and he underestimated his audience. We knew it was a flashback episode and it looked like it was just Oliver/Thea on the island in present day. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Felicity would be in Oliver's Starling City flashbacks. They have also set the bar pretty high for Olicity scenes - I love yous, last shot before he dies, the date scene - this is small stuff. If it were Season 2 and Olicity was still in question, then it would have broken the internet. This? Cute. But nope.

• Love 12

I know that Olicity fans do organized Twitter trends weekly, but I'm kind of curious about something if anyone knows. Last season, did Olicity stuff trend regularly during the Wed. night episodes? It doesn't seem like there have been many Olicity related trends during the episodes this season, but there hasn't really been a whole lot of Olicity moments this year, either.

Felicity and Olicity normally trend on their own, during a good (for them) episode.
  • Love 5

According to his twitter messages, SA is in New York right now. Is there any Con or other public event taking place this weekend? Or is it an entirely private trip of his? Maybe he is visiting Colin Donnell?

I'm not aware of any con that SA is attending this week.

• Love 1

Yeah, I always find that interesting. Whenever you see pics like those, half the time the celebrity is all smiles and appears to be genuinely happy to be hanging out with their fans (whether they actually ARE is another matter) and the other half their expression tends to be more of a blank, radiating a sense of either "at least I'm getting paid" or "how much longer?"

They still haven't released who the panelists will be for Arrow at PaleyFest, right? I find it really odd that Arrow is the only show without a panelist list. I wonder if it's just because they're still talking all of the regular cast and SA into coming since he has that con he committed to already. Or, maybe it's because they're going to announce a surprise cast shake-up? Maybe they're waiting for more feedback after the ATOM suit reveal to determine whether they'll announce Brandon Routh as a regular in the 4th season, or have him continue as recurring, or give him his own spinoff.

Oy vey. I'm so not interested in Palmer becoming part of the Team. An other worldly-powered Iron Man-lite superhero just feels too much for a show that's supposed to be about this unremarkable guy who gradually becomes a superhero after overcoming tortuous odds and honing himself to become extraordinary in order to save his city (with help from his crew of partners who, themselves, honed their own skills to remarkable heights). It's a little weird to be half-dreading the 4th season already when the 3rd season isn't even done yet.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 6

I find it weird. Paley Fest is pretty much mandatory I don`t think they need to "talk" him into going even if he signed him up for another con since he's the lead of the show.

I think the lack of panel announced is either because it's Ray Palmer related or maybe they're killing of a character or 2 and that person doesn't want to attend Paley fest but the producers are afraid that would spoil the death and are trying to convince them to come? LOL I know that's a stretch but it's just something I was thinking. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure why they haven't released the attendees from the cast - since BR is recurring through the end of the year, couldn't they just invite him anyway, regardless of what they may or may not announce? Paleyfest is during the mini hiatus, and all the main characters still seem to be alive after Nanda Parbat, so it's not like they're holding back an announcement because someone is dying before the panel. Maybe it is something to do with Stephen - but since he confirmed that he's not going to Paleyfest because of the con, he must've cleared it through someone first, right? 

Edited by apinknightmare

I think it's very weird that the main character of the show isn't attending Paleyfest. I admire SA for keeping a commitment to his fans but in a season where it already feels like his character is being pushed aside for everyone else, it doesn't exactly send out a reassuring message if the lead actor isn't there for an important panel.

I'm not sure why they haven't released the attendees from the cast - since BR is recurring through the end of the year, couldn't they just invite him anyway, regardless of what they may or may not announce? 

That's what I'm thinking. There's no reason it would be a surprise to have BR on the panel. Colin Donnell, maybe, if Zombie!Tommy is going to be an actual thing, but even then you could still couch it in Arrow stars, past and present. Either way, it's weird that no one from the panel has been listed. 

Thanks, I just looked Arrow/Flash panel is 3/14. 3 weeks from now, maybe they're waiting to see how Ray/ATOM is received after 315 to decide if they should bring BR? Or not, they brought him to TCAs, not sure why this would be different.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I can't imagine them not having the list finalized this close to the panel. Whether or not they have an announcement with BR shouldn't make a difference, he is apparently playing a big role in the last half of the season so him being there shouldn't be a surprise. 

I'm wondering if they are anticipating a backlash like the TCAs and want to hold it off as long as possible. In which, they do it to themselves and need to grow up. if that is what it is, release the list and hope the dust settles.

Is it a single panel with The Flash again, or does each show have its own panel? If it's both shows, maybe they're trying to winnow down what would be a very crowded stage.  The cross-over panel was bad enough and it didn't have Candice Patton, Jesse Martin, Victor Garber, Robbie Amell, Katie Cassidy, Paul Blackthorne, Willa Holland, Brandon Routh, John Barrowman or Matt Nable.  (I don't see any reason for Nable to be there since he's just occasional but they love their Ra's.)

I think the lack of panel announced is either because it's Ray Palmer related or maybe they're killing of a character or 2 and that person doesn't want to attend Paley fest but the producers are afraid that would spoil the death and are trying to convince them to come?

If it's mandatory, the actor would have to go, and if he/she were being killed off, all the more reason to get the last bit of publicity you can.

I'm wondering if they are anticipating a backlash like the TCAs and want to hold it off as long as possible.

People were right to be upset at the White Men Rule! panel.  If they're anticipating a backlash, they need to figure out why fans would be upset and fix it now rather than deal with the p.r. mess and the possible loss of audience later.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
Is it a single panel with The Flash again, or does each show have its own panel?

It's a joint panel again.

The general public can buy tickets right? Maybe that's why they aren't announcing it, in hopes that people will buy tickets to see Stephen Amell, EBR, David Ramsey and the like. Stephen Amell not going isn't common knowledge yet I think? So they don't want to risk people not buying tickets because he won't be there. 

• Love 2

Did Stephen Amell say the reason he wasn't going was because of the con? It just seems weird to me that the studio wouldn't force him to go to Paley Fest. Like it would be the equivalent of a film conflict. 

They took KC to the TCA, and there was a whole lot of "Where's EBR?" cries.  Could they really want to repeat that mistake again?  At least there was a (poor) excuse for having KC there instead.

Stephen Amell does enough press for the show that I could see why they would let him off.  But KC and MN there and not EBR?  Could they be that clueless?

I think the network took the 'where's the women?' as the bigger offense. Which I would agree was the larger issue. They may see taking Willa/KC as good enough. Emily's storyline seems to be all about Ray with some Oliver. They clearly view Ray as the most important part of that so they are probably going to have BR there to sell it as they have been doing all season. 

I think the network took the 'where's the women?' as the bigger offense. Which I would agree was the larger issue. They may see taking Willa/KC as good enough. Emily's storyline seems to be all about Ray with some Oliver. They clearly view Ray as the most important part of that so they are probably going to have BR there to sell it as they have been doing all season.

The way you said there makes me sad for EBR. I HATE that she is the only one who's mainly interacted with overrated Ray a newbie but she can't get her own Goddamn story when she has one they refuse to explore.Nope it's all about forcing Ray down people's throats and it ain't really working well. Putting her with Ray as a couple even temporarily sure won't work either. Edited by jay741982
  • Love 6

If Stephen doesn't go (and it looks like he isn't), that clears the way for BR. I doubt Emily is going to be there.

I think its going to be KC, DR, BR, CH, WH, MN/JB maybe PB.

and again what does that say to the public? Everyone in the cast plus a recurring character gets invited and one series regular is deliberately excluded. ..because? You don't think that's going to raise more questions then anything else?

I couldn't even begin to imagine the shit storm that would happen, EBR and her agent wouldnt be happy.

• Love 6

Other than speculation based on what happened at the TCAs, why do we think EBR won't be there? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised, but I think the PR backlash if she's excluded (and SA bails for a con) but everyone else is there would be immense. For one of the major 5 networks that's been around for quite some time, some of their PR decisions boggle the mind. 

I did catch a new CW promo spot that only had SA, DR, and KC in it. (It's possible I missed other Arrow folk.) I'm sure it was old footage with new iZombie stuff spliced in, but I still shook my head at it. 

• Love 1

The only reason I'm thinking Emily might not be there is because of their PR history. I think it will be a huge mistake and quite a few people will be pissed off, but I don't have much faith they will get this right. And by right, I mean have all the show regulars there and exclude the special guest stars.

The Arrow/Flash panel at Paleyfest in NYC is scheduled for Mar. 14.  SA's guest appearance at Planet Comicon in Kansas City, MO, is scheduled for Mar. 14 and 15 (two days).  I can't believe something couldn't have been worked out if both parties wanted it to work out.

Not identifying the Arrow attendees on the Paleyfest panel is ominous because it just seems like they're anticipating a backlash or, as someone else said, wanted to sell more tickets by deceiving people that SA would attend.

• Love 1
I love that Susanna has self respect

That confuses me...not like the show treated her badly or anything. If it's just the fact that they killed her...well then anyone who's been killed off a show has been treated badly. 

That confuses me...not like the show treated her badly or anything. If it's just the fact that they killed her...well then anyone who's been killed off a show has been treated badly. 

Many actors would actually argue just that, heh.  Depending on the death scene in question, of course.  I once got cornered by an actor who will go unnamed who was still upset about this years later. 

The Arrow/Flash panel at Paleyfest in NYC is scheduled for Mar. 14. SA's guest appearance at Planet Comicon in Kansas City, MO, is scheduled for Mar. 14 and 15 (two days). I can't believe something couldn't have been worked out if both parties wanted it to work out.

Not identifying the Arrow attendees on the Paleyfest panel is ominous because it just seems like they're anticipating a backlash or, as someone else said, wanted to sell more tickets by deceiving people that SA would attend.

Paleyfest is in LA, and I was fooled into buying tickets to the panel because I assumed that the actor playing the main character would be the one person guaranteed to attend. And I am really bitter because I just had an epiphany about why they're delaying on announcing the attendees from the "Arrow" cast.

With the way the show has gone this season, and SA's absence at Paleyfest, I think the focus of the panel will be on the other superheroes that have developed on "Arrow". Think about it-- there will be the whole "Flash" cast, and then BR, KC, CH, and maybe WH as the new heroes on "Arrow", and Greg Berlanti will probably talk about "Supergirl". There won't be any backlash about representation like the TCAs because the main "Flash" cast is pretty diverse, so I don't think David Ramsey gets to go this time, and certainly not EBR.

I just don't see any other reason for why SA wouldn't go, unless he already knows the panel will not need him to talk about Oliver Queen. He's cancelled on con appearances for show events before (he had to back out of a con in New Orleans to go to the TCAs) and it wouldn't have even been a last minute cancellation with almost 3 months between the panel announcement in January and the con in March.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

Many actors would actually argue just that, heh.  Depending on the death scene in question, of course.  I once got cornered by an actor who will go unnamed who was still upset about this years later. 

I feel like it's not just that they killed her but why they did it. She really was poorly used in season 2 and her death was an uncreative way to give Oliver more angst.

• Love 7

Tommy was killed and Colin Donnell keeps coming back.

The show seems to treat its actors with a lack of respect, except for some who shall go nameless.  Manu Bennett complained at one of the cons in May that they hadn't offered him anything so he didn't know if he was coming back because he has to put his career first.  Caity Lotz was going to do more episodes, at one point MG said five, but they booked her for three and apparently after Canaries she said "nope, no more". If Susanna Thompson has been treated the same way by the EPs, I can see why she would say no to a few seconds in a flashback episode. She doesn't need the money and she's got her self-respect.

Isn't that the point of any characters death in the history of tv? I can't think of any example where a death wasn't used to give angst to another character. 

Tommy died a hero's death, saving the woman he loved.  It was his choice. 

It was also a plot arc to help Oliver become a hero.

Shado, Moira and Sara were all helpless in their deaths with no choice.  (Moira's choice being either she dies or one of her children die is not a choice. If Slade had let her fight back and she had a chance, that would have been different.) 

They didn't die for something important, Shado and Moira died solely to give Oliver yet more angst, and Sara's death was completely wasted because she didn't need to die, being kidnapped could have spurred Laurel too, and once Sara had died, it was a completely wasted plot line to prop Malcolm and Ra's.

• Love 6
except for some who shall go nameless.

You can name her. EBR. 

Tommy died a hero's death, saving the woman he loved.  It was his choice.

I'd argue he had every intention of escaping with Laurel and not having a metal rod go through his chest. 

Manu Bennett complained at one of the cons in May

He should know that May is too soon to know anything about an upcoming season of television. 

Moira may not have been prepared to die (it's rare that anyone is after all) but ultimately she has been what she always was. Someone willing to protect her children. 

You can name her. EBR.

I was referring to Katie Cassidy. Both Tommy and Sara died to further Laurel's journey, IMO two better characters than Laurel. No one has died to further Felicity's journey, or indeed got short-changed for her character unless you could Laurel no longer being Oliver's love interest but that was going to happen anyway, whether there was a Felicity on the show or not.

May if not too soon to know if they are going to need a character for an extended use.  The EPs said that they start planning the next season as soon as shooting for the last one ends.  And since he got less than five minutes of screentime in The Return, I wouldn't be surprised if Manu Bennett said no to any more returns.

Moira may not have been prepared to die (it's rare that anyone is after all) but ultimately she has been what she always was. Someone willing to protect her children.

My point was that all the male characters, from Robert to Malcolm to Tommy to Slade to Oliver himself, were given a chance to fight back. Robert chose not to, the others all did. Moira's hands were tied literally and figuratively and neither Shado nor Sara had the chance to fight back.   It's the difference between black and white.

• Love 5
I was referring to Katie Cassidy.

I know...but she hasn't exactly gotten the best treatment. Whilst Felicity is always right, the light for Oliver, been called the show's moral compass, crossed over to Flash too many times. 

Both Tommy and Sara died to further Laurel's journey

So? That's why characters die on tv shows as I said before. 

If Laurel died to further Sara's story I'm guessing it wouldn't be as criticized as Laurel must be hated for everything she does. 

My point was that all the male characters, from Robert to Malcolm to Tommy to Slade to Oliver himself, were given a chance to fight back.

Maybe but none chose to die. 

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 1

So am I the only one honestly wondering if Amell wants out, and them bringing in Routh is an attempt to try and replace him with a character who has a lot of similarities? It seems crazy, because Amell has been all about this show, and seems really invested in the fanbase. But crazier things have happened.

If it is that (and I doubt it is, but I just can't discount it), then they've gone about it completely the wrong way, by having their new guy interact with only one of the other regulars. Never mind that his interactions have come across as creepy and stalkery to many, and never mind that a large part of the fanbase actively do not want to see him interacting with that character. But it seems like everything they've done this season has suggested that Oliver Queen himself is very replaceable in the world of the show. He can be replaced by Roy 'I've had at least six months of training' Harper, Laurel 'I had a few boxing lessons and now I'm a badass martial artist' Lance and Ray 'I really want to be Iron Man, but I'm not smart or rich enough' Palmer. All those chumps can replace him, and Oliver's own friends will act like shitheads to him when he almost dies, so does anyone really need him at all?

It could just be that they've pissed Amell off with their shitty writing, and he's tired of being the poor schmuck who has to defend it, so he's trying to make a point by skipping this PR jamboree.

SA announced on his FB page about an hour ago that he "got offered a great job in a super cool movie". It has nothing to do with "Magic Mike" nor with the "Justice League". He added: "I'm not being purposefully vague. I can't talk about the movie yet. " Are there any rumors you know of? I'm so curious!

Few people choose to die, but the men were given the option to fight back.  The women weren't.

Since MG brought the Star Trek reference to this episode (topic!), I'll quote the Klingon battle cry "It's a good day to die."    Why? Because they could die fighting, a hero's death.

So? That's why characters die on tv shows as I said before.

I disagree.  It's why characters die on this show, only female characters in the last two seasons.

Other shows can motivate character growth without killing the women, even SHIELD is doing it these days.  The only reason Sara had to die was because she was a better Canary than Laurel will ever be.  Laurel's line about always heading towards the mask is pure retcon in terms of who they wrote the character to be for the first two seasons.  Even in the flashback here, she only stayed in Starling City because her father guilted her into it, not because she wanted to help those who needed help. 

Taking the comments on Moira to her thread.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

But it seems like everything they've done this season has suggested that Oliver Queen himself is very replaceable in the world of the show. He can be replaced by Roy 'I've had at least six months of training' Harper, Laurel 'I had a few boxing lessons and now I'm a badass martial artist' Lance and Ray 'I really want to be Iron Man, but I'm not smart or rich enough' Palmer. All those chumps can replace him, and Oliver's own friends will act like shitheads to him when he almost dies, so does anyone really need him at all?

This is what I don't understand. The Show is sending very mixed messages. On one hand, when Oliver "died," Team Arrow stepped up to continue fighting crime on a street level. They were alright, barely keeping it together. They had to enlist an entire neighborhood to beat Brick, and weren't doing so great until Oliver swoops in to inspire the crowd and take down the villain. You would think that would cause some reflection in TA minus O who might think "hey, maybe Oliver does bring something unique to this team that we can't do without." Instead, it's all we're fine without you, deal with the new order. 

Last year, when Nyssa came in with the LOA to help defeat Slade and the Deathstokes, I never got the impression that Oliver wasn't needed or wanted (by the characters or the Show.) This year, I am getting that impression, and it's very confusing. I understand expanding the universe and have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the series being set up as a 5 year journey of how a spoiled, rich douchebag became the great hero, Green Arrow. If this show is determined to be look at our shiny new heroes, how will the flashbacks even make sense anymore? Why would I want to watch Oliver in Russia next year if it's all about Buckle Canary and Atom in the present - and whatever new hero they'll get their hands on for next season? 

I'd ask MG, but I'm sure I'd get some dickbag answer in response. 

I am insanely curious as to who will be at Paley from Arrow. I wonder if the movie SA got was that one he was up for with Susan Sarandon, and whatever movie it is, if he'll be able to do it with his schedule. 

• Love 8