Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I think the "plan" was to have Laurel become BC, I don't think anything could have prevented that from happening, but I don't think Laurel will become Black Canary (and that is all I think they knew) qualifies as a fucking plan. That is a RESULT, a plot point, that not a plan or a story, much less a believable, organic character based evolution. Every time they argue this it makes it so obvious why Laurel is a failure (because Laurel had no value to them  only Black Canary does). As ever they have failed this story and this (semi) iconic character in spectacular fashion.

• Love 15

As much as I didn't want the time spent on a Ray Palmer backdoor pilot (which is what I think will happen since there wasn't the excitement for him there was for Barry Allen) I will take anything that gets the focus off of Laurel, and Felicity propping her.

I don't buy that 95% of mail is ever about anything. I don't know there has ever been a storyline or character on any show that was so universally disliked all but 5% of it was negative.

While I think people will tweet in more about what they don't like than what they do, any storyline that is so disliked that 95% of mail is about hating it, suggests that the whole writers room became brain dead or pod people.

• Love 2

As much as I didn't want the time spent on a Ray Palmer backdoor pilot (which is what I think will happen since there wasn't the excitement for him there was for Barry Allen) I will take anything that gets the focus off of Laurel, and Felicity propping her.

While I think people will tweet in more about what they don't like than what they do, any storyline that is so disliked that 95% of mail is about hating it, suggests that the whole writers room became brain dead or pod people.

I'd rather her not prop Ray, it's a damn Shame that Felicity is losing fans cause she doesn't hate Laurel and cause MG is a dumbass who thinks we will like someone cause Felicity said so. How is it OOC for Felicity to be compassionate for even a dumbass like Laurel

DC is going to release a Green Arrow/Black Canary Kiss statue this year:

tumblr_inline_njvg8oJBFd1s4dmpd.jpg

Blech. Quite apart from this show, I have always hated the Green Arrow/Black Canary relationship. Because she's awesome and he's a philandering dickhead. But funnily enough, infidelity on the part of male characters is usually presented more favourably by writers.

Also, if he lets go of that arrow, Dinah is losing some vital parts of herself.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

Aren't they rebooting New 52? Maybe they are going back to Green Arrow/Black Canary. Or was that Marvel? I can't keep up with who's rebooting what.

Not a reboot, the 52 Universe is continuing just not being called The New 52 and Dinah Drake Lance is still the Black Canary.

They seem to be doing a mini-reboot, collapsing the multiverse. As I said in the Comics thread DC is doing Convergence Comics which is pulling from all different eras and storylines, a Speedforce story, pre-Flashpoint with Wally West and his kids; Batgirl with Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain as Batgirls; Batman & Robin with Damian Wayne and Jason Todd facing off; Barabara Gordan is back as Oracle and teaming up with Nightwing.

It's a nostalgia trip, 80s Superboy, Fat Amanda Waller, 80s Supergirl and 80s Donna Troy, 70s looking Green Arrow and Speedy (Roy) in one title and another title has Green Arrow and Connor Hawk teaming up, while a 3rd title has Roy as Arsenal and his daughter is still alive.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think you guys are reading way too much into something that is nothing to DC or Comics fans, just a cool toy to collect (one of 70+ figures including Diggle, Felicity, etc)

I agree - it's nothing to worry about with regards to the show. It's actually a really cool pose/figure, IMO.

• Love 1

Then why is it unsettling? Honest question, not trying to fight, haha.

Simply because it's giving people more reason to be all 'see, Oliver and Laurel have to end up together because comics.' It's just more ammunition for discord and debate and I'm so bored of it. I didn't see that statue and think 'oh no it's clearly going to happen on the show now.' It's more the fuss that comes from it. Maybe 'unsettles' was the wrong word to use.

I just think it looks weird. No matter what characters you put there, it's just a weird position to be in. It just makes no sense. 

But then again, I don't really get memorabilia statues. If you're not going to play with them, whats the point? And you can't really play with that. 

• Love 2

Stephen's going to be at Wizard World Chicago in August. Since I already met him I'm more excited that Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk are going to be there!

The Captain and Wash - that's a great combination.  Tudyk loves how much people hate that he died. You are going to have fun.  They are so good to their fans.  (and vice versa)

• Love 3

The Captain and Wash - that's a great combination.  Tudyk loves how much people hate that he died. You are going to have fun.  They are so good to their fans.  (and vice versa)

And Nathan loves making jokes about the fact that Wash died. That's my favourite bit of their double act.

At NerdHQ this year:

Fan question: "What's one thing you wish you could have done as one of your characters, that you didn't get to do?"

Alan: "..."

Nathan: "Live!"

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

Stephen's going to be at Wizard World Chicago in August. Since I already met him I'm more excited that Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk are going to be there!

http://www.wizardworld.com/home-chicago.html

I love that Stephen does as many cons as he can. He really is the biggest supporter of his show despite it being pretty crappy lately. 

I met Nathan Fillion when he was on OLTL, he is a sweetheart. I want to go see SA in Philly, so if I choose OP, it means I get a photo WITH him? Do I get to talk to him? I don't know how these things work. 

Edited by Hook75

Thinking about Firefly makes me long for Arrow to do something like the scene where Mal and Wash were being held and tortured and though they were bloody and beaten and nearly drooling idiots they wouldn't stop the absurd argument about Zoe  and it has to be one of the funniest, more horrible, touching, awesome bits of action slash character development ever on screen.  The Arrow writers claim they want to do the unexpected but all they think of is in terms of huge shocking twists instead of taking a standard and normally probably forgettable bit of staging - yes, see, they are in danger! - and made it something wonderful and unforgettable. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 11

I met Nathan Fillion when he was on OLTL, he is a sweetheart. I want to go see SA in Philly, so if I choose OP, it means I get a photo WITH him? Do I get to talk to him? I don't know how these things work. 

Yeah, if you choose a photo Op with Stephen you take a photo with him, you can choose your pose too, silly, serious or just have put his arm around you. With Manu I was giving him hug and since I took a Team Arrow pic I put myself between Stephen and David. You get a few minutes to talk to them but not too long because there are hundreds of other people waiting in line behind you. 

• Love 1

"Stephen Amell threw a bit of a pearl-clutching fit over an unnamed woman who is totally nameless and definitely not Miley Cyrus. He’s being ridiculous, but “overly sexualized velociraptor” is not only a great descriptor, but also maybe the best Halloween costume idea ever. (DListed)"

http://www.pajiba.com/pajiba_love/lena-headey-confirms-shes-pregnant-has-not-yet-confirmed-if-this-is-a-baby-viper.php

http://dlisted.com/2015/02/15/blind-item-which-incredibly-famous-young-woman-does-stephen-amell-think-is-an-overly-sexualized-velociraptor/

Edited by AyChihuahua

I have a question, do you guys think that it's Felicity who's taking up the screentime for other characters like Diggle/Roy/etc.? 

I saw someone complain about that somewhere and I'm wondering... It doesn't really make sense because in order for Felicity to take screentime from other characters, she'd have to have scenes that Diggle or Roy can replace her in. So far, her scenes have been with Ray, with the team doing her thing, and with Oliver (which usually involves romantic conversations). Diggle or Roy wouldn't fit in those scenes. So, really, I don't think she's taking screentime from other characters because her parts are usually to prop other characters up... What I'm trying to get at is most of Felicity scenes aren't Felicity scenes as much as they're Ray scenes or Laurel scenes. hmmm

I think out of anyone, it's Laurel who's taking Diggle's screentime because she's the reason he's not out in the field (Laurel propping duty) in the last few episodes. And before that, I think it's Ray who's been taking a lot of screentime for someone who adds nothing to the show... I also think that Diggle falls prey to the Arrow-has-too-many-characters syndrome... 

• Love 9

I have a question, do you guys think that it's Felicity who's taking up the screentime for other characters like Diggle/Roy/etc.? 

I saw someone complain about that somewhere and I'm wondering... It doesn't really make sense because in order for Felicity to take screentime from other characters, she'd have to have scenes that Diggle or Roy can replace her in. So far, her scenes have been with Ray, with the team doing her thing, and with Oliver (which usually involves romantic conversations). Diggle or Roy wouldn't fit in those scenes. So, really, I don't think she's taking screentime from other characters because her parts are usually to prop other characters up... What I'm trying to get at is most of Felicity scenes aren't Felicity scenes as much as they're Ray scenes or Laurel scenes. hmmm

I think out of anyone, it's Laurel who's taking Diggle's screentime because she's the reason he's not out in the field (Laurel propping duty) in the last few episodes. And before that, I think it's Ray who's been taking a lot of screentime for someone who adds nothing to the show... I also think that Diggle falls prey to the Arrow-has-too-many-characters syndrome... 

I think if anyone is taking away screen time this season, it's Ray. Unfortunately, because Felicity is basically his shadow in all scenes, it implies that she's the problem and haters will always jump on her to blame. But if Ray wasn't there, her time could be better spent elsewhere. She could even have her own storyline if they cared enough, which they clearly don't because Felicity doesn't wear a mask so she's not important. Honestly though, with Ray I've never known such a waste of a character before. Seriously, what is the point of him? His character and so called 'arc' has zero effect on the show. Remove him and pretty much nothing changes, except Felicity will be free and much loved characters might get a chance to do more than chew scenery.

Sadly though, there's been a few episodes where Ray is absent and Diggle is still sidelined and I do think it's a consequence of the Thea/Malcolm arc as well as Laurel's arc to BC. I can't fault that as much as I fault Ray because they were already on the show and Laurel's inclusion in the team was always going to happen. I think in this case they just need to balance their stories/characters better. There's no reason why Diggle can't go out in the field also. It's like the writers can't think of a way to do more than one thing at any one time. It's just bad writing.

Haha. No. This season is a mess and even if they manage to repair the damage in the final few episodes, nothing will ever make me want to buy s3 on DVD. I have no desire to rewatch any episodes and specific moments I can just watch on youtube.

He’s being ridiculous, but “overly sexualized velociraptor” is not only a great descriptor, but also maybe the best Halloween costume idea ever. (DListed)"

Halloween costume? That's going to be my band name!

Actor are always so over dramatic. His daughter is two, she was probably only thinking about the pancakes. Drawing attention to Miley or whoever is causing it to be an issue. 

Here's my updated list of upcoming comic cons where Arrow cast members and/or producers are scheduled to attend:

Wizard World's Cleveland Comic Con, Feb. 20-22, 2015
Michael Rowe

Long Beach Comic Expo, Feb. 28-Mar. 1, 2015
Marc Guggenheim (and wife Tara Butters)

PALEYFEST, Mar. 6-13, 2015 (New York, NY)
Unidentified Arrow cast/producers will attend.

Wizard World's Chicago Fan Fest Comic Con, Mar. 7-8, 2015
Caity Lotz

Planet Comicon, Mar. 13-15, 2015 (Kansas City, MO)
Stephen Amell

Fan  Expo Vancouver, April 3-5, 2015
Stephen Amell and John Barrowman

Megacon, April 10-12, 2015 (Orlando, FL)
David Ramsey and Summer Glau

Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo, April 16-19, 2015
Stephen Amell

Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo C2E2, April 24-26, 2015
David Ramsey

Queen's Rebellion, April 25-26, 2015 (Germany)
Paul Blackthorne, Manu Bennett and Colton Haynes

Wizard World's Minneapolis Comic Con, May 1-3, 2015
Katie Cassidy

Wizard World's Philadelphia Comic Con, May 7-10, 2015
Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy

Rogue Events' The City of Heroes, May 15-17, 2015 (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Katie Cassidy, Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh and Manu Bennett

Dallas ComicCon's Fan Expo, May 29-31, 2015
Manu Bennett

Wizard World's Greenville Comic Con, May 29-30, 2015
Manu Bennett

Super Heroes Con, June 6-7, 2015 (Paris, France)
Willa Holland

Wizard World's Des Moines Comic Con, June 12-14, 2015
Manu Bennett

Wizard World's Sacramento Comic Con, June 19-21, 2015
Katie Cassidy and Manu Bennett

Montreal Comicon, July 3-5, 2015
John Barrowman

SAN DIEGO COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL, July 9-12, 2015
No guests posted yet, but assume Arrow cast/producers will attend.

Wizard World's Chicago Comic Con, August 20-23, 2015
Stephen Amell

Dragon Con, September 4-7, 2015 (Atlanta, GA)
Stephen Amell and John Barrowman

Wizard World's Fort Lauderdale Comic Con, Oct. 2-4, 2014
John Barrowman

NEW YORK COMIC CON, Oct. 8-11, 2015

No guests posted yet, but assume Arrow actors/producers will attend.

EDITED FOR CORRECTIONS.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Megacon, April 10-12, 2015 (Orlando, FL)

Stephen Amell, David Ramsey and Katie Cassidy

Stephen had to cancel this one because of a filming schedule conflict. :)

Thanks for posting this in one place!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

Wow some of them will have tight schedul in the May period with the CW upfronts on 14th May and then flying to London for the Rogue Events from 15th-17th May.

They'll probably stop off at Birmingham International because it's closer. 

I was looking at the website, and it listed KC and Candice Patton as sponsored guests, and BR as a special guest which I found curious. 

Can i ask what is the difference?

According to their Website

1 Autograph is included in each attendee pack for each attending regular guest.

Sponsored Guests (Yellow Dot) are included in upgrade packages only.

Special Guests (Green Dot) are not included in any packages.

Autograph and Photo Op vouchers will be on sale at the event for all attendees.

Beyond that, I have no idea.

Referenced earlier from MG's Tumblr account:

How do you stand the hate mails all of you get? How do you move past it and keep writing a magnificent show?

You just recognize that everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  Also, we don’t get as much hate mail as you might expect.  And the vast majority of the hate mail we do get is from people who are just angry that they’re not getting what the want immediately.  For example, last year, 95% — I’m guesstimating — of our hate mail was from people who were pissed off that we made Caity Lotz the Canary instead of making Katie Cassidy Black Canary.  But we always had the plan that you’re seeing unfold this year.  A lot of what looks like “hate” mail is really misguided “impatient” or “I don’t have faith in you” mail.

With MG's knack for incorrectly predicting audience reactions, I'm now wondering if he thought shooting Sara full of arrows, throwing her on a dumpster, and stuffing her in a freezer would be welcomed by the Arrow audience.  I get the impression that he equated hatred of a storyline by a portion of the audience with hatred for the character of Sara. 

• Love 3

I think they wanted Sara so dead that we couldn't ask for her to come back and challenge Laurel for being the Black Canary, and  he thought all that was so cool to do it like that.

I also think he overestimated how glad people would be to see the Rise of Laurel Lance, the Real Black Canary.  The people who really wanted her are happy, but the rest range from "okay, at last she has something to do" to an even greater dislike of her.

• Love 5

I'm sure there are people who hated Sara, for various reasons. No character is universally loved, or hated for that matter. But did even the people who didn't like Sara want to see THAT?