Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

There are a lot of good rebuttals to it, calm and logical.  And mentioning that Stephen's AN ACTOR.  Those people really need to step away from their computers.

I think MG is doing okay on tumblr.  Two that I particularly like are Emily's superpower and

fight--for--now asked:
I appreciate that you guys saw natural organic chemistry, saw that certain characters BETTER each other and let the story progress naturally. You guys may not adhere to our wishes but it's nice that almost all of us seem to have a common ground there. :)

MG:  Amen!

He must get a lot of hate tweets because he's always saying 'thank you' to people who say anything nice.

• Love 2

I think they only meant for his behavior to be stalkery when he was trying to track her down for professional reasons.  This is why they had Felicity accusing him of stalking in 3.01 & 3.02.  They didn't  intend for his behavior to be viewed as that afterwards so in their minds it's not.

This is one of the main problems I have with it though. I don't care if the intent wasn't there, it still comes across as stalkerish behavior. The fact that the EP's are completely clueless as to how that type of behavior can be viewed by some is worrying. It sends out the wrong message IMO. MG dismissing people's completely valid feelings just because he doesn't agree with them is seriously wrong. But then he doesn't see a problem with killing off all the women on this show so I'm not surprised.

Omg so much second-hand embarrassment. I can't even read most of that. I really hope SA doesn't see it. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1

Then he goes and pings her cellphone to find her at Verdant because he just NEEDS to tell her that he doesn't regret kissing her and explain about his dead fiance. That? Is stalker, over-the-line behavior, and can't be excused as professional pursuit. They need to stop with that immediately. 

I don't see it as stalkery so much as impulsive behaviour. He wanted to talk to her to explain, she made herself unavailable so he went looking for her.  It's impulsive and inappropriate but not stalking in the sense of "I want to get you and keep you."  (Yes, I live with ADHD people.)

In a TV world where Sheldon Cooper sets the bar for weird behaviour, I can see what the writers were going for.

• Love 3

I don't see it as stalkery so much as impulsive behaviour. He wanted to talk to her to explain, she made herself unavailable so he went looking for her.  It's impulsive and inappropriate but not stalking in the sense of "I want to get you and keep you."  (Yes, I live with ADHD people.)

In a TV world where Sheldon Cooper sets the bar for weird behaviour, I can see what the writers were going for.

I get what you're saying, but that is stalker behavior (I didn't write that he was a stalker, merely that he was behaving like one). Felicity made it clear that the conversation was over, and he decided it wasn't, that his need to explain himself trumped her decision to leave things as they were. Instead of calling her or talking to her the next day at the office, or basically explaining himself at any other time when she was readily available to him, he tracked her down and showed up at a place where she was and was unlikely to refuse him. I don't think he's a stalker, and I get that intent plays a part here (and that they weren't intending for his behavior to come off as stalkerish and inappropriate), but this kind of thing isn't okay and it shouldn't be romanticized and I'd really prefer that they stop that particular quirk of his, because I really don't like it. He can be impulsive and screwball and socially inept without tracking her down to talk to her about things that aren't even related to her job.

• Love 12

This...is why I never direct any social media messages towards actors or producers. I'd rather just indirectly rant about them on here. Heh.

For real! God knows there have been times when the actors and producers have said stuff that made me roll my eyes and wish they would shut up, but I would never, ever tweet or otherwise direct any of my comments toward them. Good lord. People are thoughtless and rude, and need to get a grip.

• Love 3

For real! God knows there have been times when the actors and producers have said stuff that made me roll my eyes and wish they would shut up, but I would never, ever tweet or otherwise direct any of my comments toward them. Good lord. People are thoughtless and rude, and need to get a grip.

I only comment when they say something I find especially problematic. For example, I tweeted MG this morning when he said that Ray hadn't engaged in any stalker-like behavior. Wrong, sir! (I was nice about it)

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

I only comment when they say something I find especially problematic. For example, I tweeted MG this morning when he said that Ray hadn't engaged in any stalker-like behavior. Wrong, sir! (I was nice about it)

And I should clarify, I don't have a problem with directing critical comments to them as long as those comments are politely. Nothing wrong with that at all! But people so frequently cross the line into being rude or confrontational, and that's what I can't stand. I'm embarrassed for all the people involved with that missive to Stephen.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 5

The problem is that books such as Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey popularize the stalker-like behaviour and make it look romantic. I thought that only teen girls and bored wives go for that (all due respect, but these are the intended target groups of such books) but it looks like some male writers are prone to romanticizing such behaviour as well. Which is sad as it justifies certain aspects of toxic relationships that should never be justified.

I believe that Ray can be quirky and cute without the stalker aspect, unfortunately it became his defining feature and from what I can see, Guggenheim sees nothing wrong with that. And if he sees no wrong, he will not present it in bad light - ergo, stalkish behaviour will be glorified some more in th eyes of boys and girls who watch Arrow.

• Love 5

Ooh what did you say (nicely)?

MG tweeted: When he did those things, he wasn't the least bit interested in her romantically. He was stalking her for business reasons.

And I pointed out that he did ping Felicity's phone to find her at Verdant to explain the kiss. And that he needs to not do that.

• Love 4

The problem is that books such as Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey popularize the stalker-like behaviour and make it look romantic. I thought that only teen girls and bored wives go for that (all due respect, but these are the intended target groups of such books)

Twillight was poorly written but oddly engaging and I won't go near Shades of Grey cause it's crap, but I'll defend these "types" of books very heavily because I'm sick of the Romance genre being denigrated as something for the naïve, weak minded or desperate aka female.  Target badly characterized stories but leave the genre alone please. 

I've read soooooooooo much worse in action thrillers, or westerns, or certain sci-fi that intend to target men and no one ever complains about the message sent in them.    Even mainstream stuff like Grisham has had the most ridiculously sexist way of treating female characters.  Feel free to berate authors or certain books or characters but please don't dismiss the whole genre that earns more than double the number two genre behind it. 

And now I'll get off my soap box. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 11

I think what irritates me even more is how Ray ignores Felicity's "No!". No I don't want to work for you, OK Felicity I'll buy your company so you technically are. No I don't want to talk to you, alright lemme ping your phone so I can get this off my chest.

...yeah it just annoys me. No means no Ray!

I'm actually glad MG replied to that stalker question. Now I know I'm not reading Ray's character wrong. The writers ACTUALLY want me to like him and his behaviour.

Edited by Limbo
  • Love 2

I actually stayed and read those from the Facebook message.. I'll admit it's been a stressful week and i needed a good laugh and eye roll.

It was.. An experience. I am still waiting for the Lauriver fan who is able to give me the reason why laurel and Oliver should be together, without saying "comics", FYI there is a theoretical reason i can accept to support a L/O endgame.... I will rage against my tv and the ep's but.. Theoretically. If they'll be able to pull what ER did with Doug and Carol. Similar shit (cheating and all that- though not with the sister) and yet, even though we knew of all of that we were still able to accept them as a couple because as fans we saw them grow and change over three years and in that time they were still able to push the other to be better and grow.

Except what Arrow did was shift that to Felicity. Theoretically they could have made it work with Laurel.

Of course their biggest problem was the lack of chemistry between Stephen and Katie.

And now I'll stop cause this is moving towards the relationship thread type of posts.

MG tweeted: When he did those things, he wasn't the least bit interested in her romantically. He was stalking her for business reasons.

And I pointed out that he did ping Felicity's phone to find her at Verdant to explain the kiss. And that he needs to not do that.

Guggenheim acts as if it's okay because it was for business reasons. Newsflash: It's not. Most professional recruiters don't ping prospective candidate's cell phones to locate them nor do they buy they companies they work for. Furthermore, if my boss randomly showed up on my doorstep first thing in the morning without my knowledge I'd be finding a new job. I don't know why he thinks this is okay.

• Love 6

I think it's over the top TV/Movies ok.

As for the Boss showing up, it isn't completely unheard of.  I think it depends on the place of work.  I can think of many times over the years when Bosses showed up unexpectedly for my mother, father or brother to bring out forms, products or swap out company vehicles..  Me, not so much, but I think that's the difference between a low level office worker and in my Dad's case, a top director and in my brother's case, a bus driver, and in my mother's case a sales rep. 

Felicity is a highly paid (we assume) VP which means she's probably subject to whatever idiosyncrasies the boss manages to think up within the law.  Showing up on her door step was shocking (at least the first time) but it's not against the law. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Yeah, I think some of the work-related weirdness can be explained away by him being a quirky boss or whatever and him wanting/needing to talk to her about work stuff. Could be considered a trade-off for him giving her leave and being lenient with her hours. Him following her to Verdant though for personal reasons? Not okay. They should just stop that all together, regardless of the reason.

• Love 1

Since I usually like to entertain myself by reading comments on IMDB (I see some people who post here on there too! So hand waves :p), I was able to handle reading that thing on SAs page about Lauriver and the comments. It's not much. Most people in the comment section who like them together just want them together for comic reasons, and the main complaint was that SA is just terrible for downplaying Laurel's importance in Oliver's life even though that's not true and how "Oliver/Dinah" are so much more interesting than "Oliver/Felicity". They tried to make their point by saying that Oliver changed in season one because of his interactions with Laurel and some other season 1 stuff about Oliver saying that the island didn't changed him, just scraped away the BS (which IMO is not true. You can't go through a crucible and not change) and yeah. Just a lot of season 1 stuff to back up their argument. Which is interesting because Season 1 is the past, and Stephen literally said Laurel was Oliver's past or something to that extent. Which imo makes their point moot. :p 

It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but yeah, that stuff doesn't belong on Stephen's FB page. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Stephen Amell asked his fans on his Facebook page for some reflections on the word “sinceriously”. These reflections are going to be used for his next https://represent.com/charities campaign that will be dedicated to mental health awareness. You can find his post here:

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/posts/788729094545693

Please consider taking part in this campaign. Stephen deserves any support he can possibly get!

Apart from that, if you happen to like my own contribution regarding “sinceriously” (see pic), I would appreciate very much if you took the time to like it on Stephen’s page, please! You find that post here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=314462758762757&set=p.314462758762757&type=1&theater

Thank you in advance!

ETA Please forgive me for this little self promotion! Of course, any kinds of (critical) comments are welcome :-)

10806338_314462758762757_893024701531979

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 3

Since I usually like to entertain myself by reading comments on IMDB (I see some people who post here on there too! So hand waves :p), I was able to handle reading that thing on SAs page about Lauriver and the comments. It's not much. Most people in the comment section who like them together just want them together for comic reasons, and the main complaint was that SA is just terrible for downplaying Laurel's importance in Oliver's life even though that's not true and how "Oliver/Dinah" are so much more interesting than "Oliver/Felicity". They tried to make their point by saying that Oliver changed in season one because of his interactions with Laurel and some other season 1 stuff about Oliver saying that the island didn't changed him, just scraped away the BS (which IMO is not true. You can't go through a crucible and not change) and yeah. Just a lot of season 1 stuff to back up their argument. Which is interesting because Season 1 is the past, and Stephen literally said Laurel was Oliver's past or something to that extent. Which imo makes their point moot. :p 

It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but yeah, that stuff doesn't belong on Stephen's FB page. 

In my experience you've got this backwards, the majority of fans that want Lauiver together are Lauiver shippers and have never read a single comic.  They use the "Because COMICS!!!1!" as a reason why their ship has to happen, not the other way around.  I've tried to engage several of these types with discussions on Dinah, Dinah/Oliver, BoP and Green Arrow comics and they don't know the comics.  

Now, there are comic purists who insist Oliver has to have a goatee, that Laurel has to be BC and that Oliver/Laurel have to get together because comics, but they are a very small minority of a small group, in my experience.  

• Love 8
In my experience you've got this backwards, the majority of fans that want Lauiver together are Lauiver shippers and have never read a single comic.  They use the "Because COMICS!!!1!" as a reason why their ship has to happen, not the other way around.  I've tried to engage several of these types with discussions on Dinah, Dinah/Oliver, BoP and Green Arrow comics and they don't know the comics.

I know you're right but this is still mind boggling to me. Because comics! as a justification when you have no idea what is IN the comics, No one on the show yet really matches their comic counterparts in anything but the name really.

• Love 2

I know you're right but this is still mind boggling to me. Because comics! as a justification when you have no idea what is IN the comics, No one on the show yet really matches their comic counterparts in anything but the name really.

Could be they're Katie Cassidy fans who watch for Laurel and want her to get the guy, then use comics to justify that. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11

MG is back on Tumblr this morning:

lindsayshalstead asked:

Hi Marc! Thanks for all the hard work on Arrow, I love the show so much! How would you describe Laurel in 3 words during the next few episodes? She's such an amazing character and I've learned so much from her. Thank you!

Three words?  Black Canary, bitch!

chall-enge-accepted asked:

the writing for season 2&3 has been 1 sided regarding the shows "ships" which is the reason why Katie/Laurel is getting a lot of hate from the fans. Also it doesn't help when she's barely shown! Pls do something about it cause Katie is AMAZING!

Katie is front and center in our upcoming episodes.

So...I guess that's that.

Cue more questions in a few hours from people who say they're not interested in a Laurel trilogy, and Guggenheim's response:

"What? Who said these episodes were just about Black Canary? Team Arrow will be front and centre, and a strong presence throughout."

• Love 7

Could be they're Katie Cassidy fans who watch for Laurel and want her to get the guy, then use comics to justify that. 

That has very often been my impression, most  (not all) are KC fans who want Laurel to be the heroine, get the guy and be the lead=equal to Oliver.

Okay, I've lost track then. Is this four part trilogy (!!!) Laurel centric or not?

He's playing to his audience, so who knows?  They said Laurel was front and center last season too (210-214) and she did have more screen-time then in 201-209 but only 211 was Laurel Centric.

Basically to Laurel/KC fans he's telling them it's Laurel's arc, for people who don't like Laurel or are afraid she's going to take over 310-314 or people that accuse them of "killing of Oliver" just to prop up Laurel it's no, no, no Malcolm, Roy, Diggle, Felicity, Ray and oh yeah Laurel's in there too.

Maybe someone should ask him why Laurel thinks it would kill her father to know Sara is dead but he'd be cool with her out as BC...

He seems to be doing just fine on Tumblr, or is ist just me. There are some rather interesting, let's call them very passionate, people on there.

Maybe someone should ask him why Laurel thinks it would kill her father to know Sara is dead but he'd be cool with her out as BC...

I did. 

This is what I asked him: 

Hi Marc! In trying to figure out Laurel's motivations this season, can you offer some insight as to why she's too scared to tell Lance that Sara's dead because she's worried he'll keel over and die, but she's not so worried about him dying that she's willing to break the promise she made to him in the hospital that she wouldn't go out and try to be like Sara? Part of the reason there's a disconnect (at least for me) is because her reasoning is contradictory and/or nonsensical (for plot, maybe?).

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 14

Excellent question, pinknightmare. I'm certain if he answers (I'm doubtful) it will make just about as much sense as everything else they'd done with her story. ;)

More and more I'm convinced that these guys get severe myopia when it comes to their costumed heroes on this show. Your question is a prime example. You've spelled out exactly why it makes absolutely zero sense for Laurel to become her sister when she's supposedly so concerned about her dad's fragile state, yet MG is determined to make it happen because "Black Canary, bitch!"

• Love 2

"Black Canary, bitch"

If he means Laurel's Black Canary's bitch, then yes I agree. Sara would own her ass along with every other hero (costumed or not), criminal and villain. 

Stop trying to make Laurel, happen show! She's got no motivation, no skills, an abrasive and selfish personality. That is not comic BC. With that "Because Comics" does not work. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

Excellent question, pinknightmare. I'm certain if he answers (I'm doubtful) it will make just about as much sense as everything else they'd done with her story. ;)

More and more I'm convinced that these guys get severe myopia when it comes to their costumed heroes on this show. Your question is a prime example. You've spelled out exactly why it makes absolutely zero sense for Laurel to become her sister when she's supposedly so concerned about her dad's fragile state, yet MG is determined to make it happen because "Black Canary, bitch!"

I don't expect him to answer me, but if he does I think it'll be along the lines of watch and see what we do with her, it'll make sense, blah blah blah. Or he'll say that Laurel doesn't expect him to find out about that, which so isn't the point.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I don't understand the "because comics!" answer.  From what I understand, Green Arrow and Black Canary are no longer together in the comics - they've split up, so how does the comics canon argument support an Oliver/Laurel endgame?

Edited by tv echo

I don't understand the "because comics!" answer.  From what I understand, Green Arrow and Black Canary are no longer together in the comics - they've split up, so how does the comics canon argument support an Oliver/Laurel endgame?

Because the people who want Oliver and Laurel together want the comics to support their argument. If they were real Black Canary fans, then they'd know full well that her true love is one Barbara Gordon.

"Black Canary, bitch"

I think that comma was supposed to be a full stop.

• Love 4

Because the people who want Oliver and Laurel together want the comics to support their argument. If they were real Black Canary fans, then they'd know full well that her true love is one Barbara Gordon.

Really? That's interesting because I know Babs is bi in Gotham. Wow in that case Sara really was a dead wringer for BC, other characteristics included.

Babs/Dinah was never confirmed, just implied in the comics. 

Considering Arrow just killed the first on screen openly Bi Super Hero so the straight one can take her place, I wonder if they are still talking about how they are supporting the LGBT community. I know they have Nyssa, but you can't see her in a relationship with her girlfriend because she's dead. So still only the straight characters get love interests. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Three words?  Black Canary, bitch!

Curious. I've always thought of her in that third word but didn't expect him to say it.

He's playing to his audience, so who knows?  They said Laurel was front and center last season too (210-214) and she did have more screen-time then in 201-209 but only 211 was Laurel Centric.

It was the Lance Family Drama, which was all about Laurel, that tanked Time of Death IMO.  If they hadn't had to do the dinner and her scenes with Sara, they might have done Team Arrow justice.

• Love 3

Really? That's interesting because I know Babs is bi in Gotham. Wow in that case Sara really was a dead wringer for BC, other characteristics included.

Yeah, Gail Simone has said she always thought of Dinah as bi, but DC never ler her take on it other than in subtext. I suppose Gotham's Babs is a nod to that. Except for the last year or so, Gail has been the most prolific writer of Black Canary since the mid 2000s, and it's more or less a consensus that her take on the Birds of Prey is the ultimate one, so I'm inclined to accept her take on Black Canary way way WAY above Arrow's.

As recently as the Batgirl Annual last year, Simone was totally writing Babs/Dinah with all of the possible 'shippiness in the world:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1404/29/batgirlannual21.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1404/29/batgirlannual22.jpg

Edited by dancingnancy
do-youunderstand asked:

Hi Marc, I was wondering how far ahead of filming you finish writing the scripts? And does each script have a set length of time? Just like each episode is filmed within a set amount of days or does it vary how long it takes to write depending on what you want to accomplish in the episode?

We usually have scripts ready for production by the first day of prep at the latest, which is 8-9 business days out from the start of production.

The length of time it takes to write a script completely depends on the episode, the speed of the writers, how much else is on our plate, etc.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/post/108106447624/hi-marc-i-was-wondering-how-far-ahead-of-filming

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Yup. It's not canon, because DC would never allow it with established characters. New, created for the purpose characters? Sure, they can be gay. Minor characters that people struggle to even remember? They can be turned gay. But Batgirl and Black Canary? What? Might as well make Green Lantern and Hawkman gay.... actually, those two are fond of one another.

But Gail Simone wrote BoP with it in mind, Chuck Austen apparently wrote it like that by accident (which is hilarious), and Babs/Dinah was always a really sweet, strong relationship that provided that book with so much heart. Adding Helena later was great too. Funnily enough, the book began to fall apart when DC mandated that Dinah marry Oliver Queen, and she left BoP to become a supporting player in Green Arrow.

Considering Arrow just killed the first on screen openly Bi Super Hero so the straight one can take her place, I wonder if they are still talking about how they are supporting the LGBT community. I know they have Nyssa, but you can't see her in a relationship with her girlfriend because she's dead. So still only the straight characters get love interests.

Well the producers seem to think that being able to use a character in flashbacks still means they're alive, so they'd probably still crow about having the first gay couple in a superhero show, and how they're going to do great things with Sara and Nyssa, when the opportunities arise. But all that would result in is further bitterness from fans that this is a relationship doomed to one of them being casually and brutally murdered.

• Love 1

So basically it takes 7 - 8 weeks to do an episode?  3 - 4 to write, two to prep, and another two to shoot.

They're shooting 3x16 now, so they would be prepping 3x17 and writing 3x18 and 3x19.  Their season is almost done.

• Love 1

I'm wondering what Gail Simone thinks of Sara's Black Canary. Was she okay with the name change or think that Sara embodied the BC as close as she could? I know she doesn't watch Arrow, but I'm just curious what a comic writer thinks, especially the one that writes for the BC. 

I'm wondering what Gail Simone thinks of Sara's Black Canary. Was she okay with the name change or think that Sara embodied the BC as close as she could? I know she doesn't watch Arrow, but I'm just curious what a comic writer thinks, especially the one that writes for the BC. 

I don't know if she's said anything, but my guess is that she'd be more interested in the spirit of the character being right, than the actual biodata. And on this show, one sister had all the spirit, the other had nothing but the name. I don't think Gail would like this show's version of Helena Bertinelli though. She went out of her way to fix her reputation and redeem her as a character in BoP, and was quite open about the sleazy way male writers just threw her into bed with whichever "sidekick" they wanted to validate.

• Love 1