Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

they're all facing the same way. if you look at all the passengers they're all facing to the front of the plane.

yeah, I initially thought the seats in the back were facing the opposite direction, because the economy seats seemed to be slanted too far forward or something.

B6_0dkdCQAAI6cx.png

Awww how lovely just 1 female at the panel.

LOL, could they be any more obvious about the blatant misogyny of this show? If they have to fill up the panel with tons of guest stars, why not feature Katrina Law, at least? She has appeared on the show several times and is part of the ongoing LOA storyline.

The whole thing is only 30 mins? All those people for 30 mins? That's like maybe a question each.

Hardly. Most of the panelists won't get to answer a single question. They're just there to fill up space and look pretty.

Are the TCA's usually posted online? I would like to watch it. 

Nope.

• Love 5

Hopefully MG got a number of tweets about the lack of women on the panel.  It's ridiculous that Robbie Amell is there, not to mention Dominic Purcell who is a 'C' level actor and hasn't been on the show yet but Danielle Panabaker and Candace Patton aren't.

If EBR is on the plane, probably Willa Holland is going down too so they'll be available for a last minute addition.  Let's see if David Ramsey is right and the EPs listen to social media.

• Love 3

Nope.

Wait so the whole point is just to sell the show to he press right? It's not a fan event or anything. Do we find out spoilers that were discussed there?

Edited by ban1o

Yes, the press get spoilers and they eke them out bit by bit.

Could it be just a matter of money? I'm assuming the network pays the actors to attend  this event, and they surely wanted the publicity boost that the guest stars will bring. So maybe they had to cut on some people to afford them being there?

I don't know if they get money or if promotion is tied in with their contracts. I imagine someone like Victor Garber would cost a lot but I can't imagine they would have to pay Dominic Purcell a lot.  And why even include him when they've got Wentworth Miller?  Also noteworthy is that the actress who plays Stoat's sister is not there while the guy is.

It seems to me that the regulars on the show would have doing p.r. in their contracts (you know, EBR, Willa Holland, Danielle Panabaker) so it wouldn't cost the studio anything to include them also they might have to pay the guest stars extra. Which just makes it even more ridiculous to have guest stars there and not regulars.

Yeah I maybe get not having EBR there. But no other women on the panel at all? As someone else said, if they're pulling in guest stars, Katrina Law would have been an excellent choice. And I also don't get the exclusion of Jesse L Martin, as well as the two Flash ladies. Danielle Panabaker is part of the Firestorm story, so why not include her?

I don't know - it just looks weird.

• Love 2

Well Stoat's sister doesn't show up until episode 15 or 16 so that's kind of understandable. I do agree that I'm a little confused by how all these were chosen. Katrina Law would have been a good person to have but maybe she's not a big part of the 2nd half of the season? Annd Willa with her arch with Malcolm, I`m surprised Jesse L Martin is excluded as well but he's a guy lol. And any of the 2 Flash ladies could have been included since NO females form the Flash are there. 

Edited by ban1o

Yeah I maybe get not having EBR there.

I don't.  Not since the panel is called Heroes and Villains (suggesting Felicity's not worthy of being considered a hero) but also for her part in Ray's story, especially since Felicity has been almost the sole character Ray has interacted with.

I do agree the whole thing was ill thought out.

• Love 3

I don't.  Not since the panel is called Heroes and Villains (suggesting Felicity's not worthy of being considered a hero) but also for her part in Ray's story, especially since Felicity has been almost the sole character Ray has interacted with.

Caitlin and Cisco weren't included either and although they have been on the show for a lot less than Felicity,  they pretty much tell him what to do to stop all the villains lol. I think they think they think if you don't wear a mask or are a fighter then you're not a hero.

Edited by ban1o
. I mean, Felicity Smoak is by no means an ass-kicker, but she's very tough and she has an inner steel to her. Same thing with Thea

Except for that time that Felicity took down her ex boyfriend and pistol whipped him and that time that Thea kind of kicked Oliver's ass and jumped off the balcony.....

Does he watch his own fucking show?

• Love 1

I don't. Not since the panel is called Heroes and Villains (suggesting Felicity's not worthy of being considered a hero) but also for her part in Ray's story, especially since Felicity has been almost the sole character Ray has interacted with.

Not for that, but for the fear of her overshadowing KC. With her there, people might be more interested in asking about Olicity than the Black Canary arc. I'm not saying I don't think Felicity's a hero - just saying that I could maybe see, if they're trying to drum up media support/coverage for the BC arc, they might think EBR would distract from that.

Edited by Starfish35

Starfish35, I can absolutely see where your train of thought is coming from and I don't necessarily disagree with that idea.  We discussed that a bit when the list first came out a couple of days ago (this thread? somewhere else? I'm not sure now).  But I think it all goes back to the panel and the theme being not well thought out because, to me, by bringing so many cast members but excluding EBR it brings up questions about why she's not included, rather than just making her part of the pack of 16+ people on stage and letting her blend into the crowd.  Olicity questions will probably happen whether or not she's there, imo, and with all those people and various stories to cover over the two shows, I can't see her pulling focus.  Basically, I think the whole thing makes the CW/producers look clueless. 

• Love 7

That panel guest list is bullshit. I can't believe any higher ups didn't stop for one fucking second and realize how that looks. I'm not even talking about who's important on the show anymore. They have one woman and 15 men on that panel. That is unacceptable. For The Flash, they are bringing in a guy who hasn't even appeared on the show (DP) over one of their series regular women. I am no joke appalled at this. 

• Love 10

That panel guest list is bullshit. I can't believe any higher ups didn't stop for one fucking second and realize how that looks. I'm not even talking about who's important on the show anymore. They have one woman and 15 men on that panel. That is unacceptable. For The Flash, they are bringing in a guy who hasn't even appeared on the show (DP) over one of their series regular women. I am no joke appalled at this. 

This. Two hero/superhero shows, and on a panel entitled "Heroes and Villains," there's one women. It basically gives the impression that all the women on both shows are peripheral to the action, and that's a horrible message to send. (Not to mention, the one woman who's on the panel has arguably been the character most peripheral to the action on Arrow for the past 2 1/2 seasons). One great thing about the TCA critics is that they are very thoughtful, care a lot about issues relating to diversity and representation of women on television, and have a history of asking questions about those issues during press tour and upfronts. So I really hope one of them asks about this tomorrow. The producers need to be made to explain this fuckery.

• Love 11

My city sends a couple of tough TV critics to the TCAs, and if  they're not asking tough questions, they're still doing tough analyses of the show.  

Natalie Abrams got some questions about why there are so few women on the panel, so did Laurel Brown and Matt Mitovich, as well as tweets to MG, so even if the questions about the lack of women don't get asked in the interviews themselves, the EPs are going to know they're out there.

• Love 1

There are a whole bunch of crazy good critics who write a ton about social issues on tv shows currently at the TCAs. Alyssa Rosenberg from the Washington Post immediately comes to mind. And Troy VanDerWherff. And the dude from the Hollywood Reporter, his name escapes me now, but his Twitter handle is BastardMachine. And I'm not sure Maureen Ryan and Margaret Lyons are there, but again, super deep thoughts folk who cover tv, and Mo Ryan actively watches Arrow.

[For real, google Aaron Sorkin + "listen here, internet girl", or look up the Stalker panel in the last Summer tour. Kevin Williamson had a meltdown over the TCA panel. These folks do ask the hard questions.]

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

Catrox14 you're GD right that one woman should be EBR or better yet besides KC, EBR DP CP and WH should all be there and not some of those guys

Statsgirl I was one of the people who tweeted Natalie Abrams to ask why KC was the only woman

Edited by jay741982

I doubt it will be addressed tbh.  Willa was the only girl at the comic-con panel i believe. i don't remember it being a big deal then. That was a fan event though do I guess that's a little different.

It does sound bad though. I wonder if the EP's thought about it at all when they were deciding who was going.

Edited by ban1o

There are a whole bunch of crazy good critics who write a ton about social issues on tv shows currently at the TCAs. Alyssa Rosenberg from the Washington Post immediately comes to mind. And Troy VanDerWherff. And the dude from the Hollywood Reporter, his name escapes me now, but his Twitter handle is BastardMachine. And I'm not sure Maureen Ryan and Margaret Lyons are there, but again, super deep thoughts folk who cover tv, and Mo Ryan actively watches Arrow.

[For real, google Aaron Sorkin + "listen here, internet girl", or look up the Stalker panel in the last Summer tour. Kevin Williamson had a meltdown over the TCA panel. These folks do ask the hard questions.]

Exactly, dancingnancy.  The now-legendary Two Broke Girls panel is one of the best examples of the critics holding a showrunner's feet to the fire about diversity and sexism issues. Arrow and Flash are fortunate in that a lot of the TCA critics are fans of both shows, so I certainly don't expect the joint panel to become hostile. But it's hard for me to imagine this group of critics will look at a wall of 15 men on stage with one woman and not have any questions about that.

• Love 2

Look, I would question this even if the one woman was EBR instead of KC. I would still think it was absurd. This isn't about slighting EBR/Felicity. It's about the fact that out of all of their casts, and guest stars apparently, they brought only one woman. I would hope someone would ask about that.

• Love 11

Exactly, dancingnancy. The now-legendary Two Broke Girls panel is one of the best examples of the critics holding a showrunner's feet to the fire about diversity and sexism issues. Arrow and Flash are fortunate in that a lot of the TCA critics are fans of both shows, so I certainly don't expect the joint panel to become hostile. But it's hard for me to imagine this group of critics will look at a wall of 15 men on stage with one woman and not have any questions about that.

Wow, thank you for that link, quite a fascinating read. I personally dislike 2 Broke Girls, I don't find it the least bit funny and the diner is the worst aspect of the show.

I'm now dying to see these reporters, especially Mo Ryan tackle Goffman and Sleepy Hollow (I have no idea if they'll be there).

• Love 2

Look, I would question this even if the one woman was EBR instead of KC. I would still think it was absurd. This isn't about slighting EBR/Felicity. It's about the fact that out of all of their casts, and guest stars apparently, they brought only one woman. I would hope someone would ask about that.

Yep. At first, I was annoyed that it appeared that EBR was excluded, but finding out guest stars who haven't even appeared on the show are going to be there and 1 woman/15 men is what pushed me over the edge. I hope they either add some women to the panel or that it's addressed by the TCA critics. Even if EBR/CP/DP don't say a word, they are still vital parts of their shows, and for shows that likes to tout how diverse they are, they need to be called on the representation they put out there. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 8

It's not just KC as the token woman, but also David as the token person of color in a sea of super white peoples, especially when we know Flash has an actual great racially diverse cast with Martin, Patton, and Valdes. They basically excluded all women and all POCs but one of each. Looks terrible.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 16

I doubt it will be addressed tbh.  Willa was the only girl at the comic-con panel i believe. i don't remember it being a big deal then. That was a fan event though do I guess that's a little different.

Willa was only the only woman at the SDCC panel because the other 3 women in the cast were unavailable due to filming, which is not the case here.  Here they apparently just chose not to include any other women, and imo, that's a big difference.

• Love 3

Willa was only the only woman at the SDCC panel because the other 3 women in the cast were unavailable due to filming, which is not the case here.  Here they apparently just chose not to include any other women, and imo, that's a big difference.

To this day I still wonder what was being filmed that none of them could show up. Like Sara was dead and all of Laurel's scenes in episode 2 were with Team Arrow or her father, who were all there. But I guess that's a different discussion lol. 

It's not just KC as the token woman, but also David as the token person of color in a sea of super white peoples, especially when we know Flash has an actual great racially diverse cast with Martin, Patton, and Valdes. They basically excluded all women and all POCs but one of each. Looks terrible.

Not to be that person but I think Wentworth Miller is biracial or something but yeah I agree that the panel is un-diverse. Basically all white males. Which sucks because Flash actually has a more diverse cast. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

But it's hard for me to imagine this group of critics will look at a wall of 15 men on stage with one woman and not have any questions about that.

I'm sure they'll notice it .  But whether they call out the EPs on it in public is another question.

It's one of the those things where they probably thougth "Hey, we've got all these villains and heroes, let's to the TCA panel about them" and thought no one would question anything about it.  Hopefully enough people have commented and tweeted the EPs about it that they know that's not going to happen.

To this day I still wonder what was being filmed that none of them could show up. Like Sara was dead and all of Laurel's scenes in episode 2 were with Team Arrow or her father, who were all there. But I guess that's a different discussion lol.

I wonder myself. In retrospect, I can maybe understand them wanting to limit access to KC and CL in light of Sara being killed off. It would probably have been difficult for either of those two to answer questions under the circumstances without giving something away. And Sara's death was a tightly locked-down secret. But I don't know why EBR couldn't have been there. And I still don't understand why CL was there at all, considering. But I'm probably just bitter because it made me feel like Sara was safe for a while, when actually not so much. :(

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

According to KC there was a scene where she carried Sara down into the Foundry that ended up on the cutting room floor. Maybe that is what she and CL were filming. EBR could have been filming with BR.

It was never stated but I assume EBR was filming a scene with Brandon Routh or she was filming a solo scene in the foundry (if there was one in 302).

For CL/KC according to MG they were filming Sara's death scene. I think he meant the Laurel "carries" Sara (which KC said took multiple shoots and ended up getting cut anyway), or perhaps filming a pickup scene for 301, the alley scene.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

What's hilarious to me is that Katie Cassidy who can't even speak coherently about her character is going to this panel. Yet you have someone like Emily Bett who knows her character and can speak eloquently about Felicity Smoak not there. What a crock. I'm going to tweet these reporters and ask them why not bring the whole Team Arrow crew to this panel. Team Arrow meaning Oliver, Diggle and Felicity.

• Love 2

It does seem as though it's relevant time to boost the BC arc and makes sense to have KC there.

I imagine it is also useful to have the actor there as any questions about the 'polarising' nature of Laurel and the writing of the character will will be tempered by politeness towards KC. It allows them to control the tone if not entirely the content of any criticisms.

That said, the make up of the panels is problematic as noted by many here.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Stephen Amell posted the following tweet:

"Great day working with fantastical people. It's a wonderful world that we've built."

I suppose this tweet refers to the TCA panel, and the last sentence might hint at why they invited the actors they did: They want to show off the big amount of DC comic book superheroes they have integrated/ are going to integrate into their shows. They are so proud that the Arrow-/Flash-verse now contains/ is about to contain all those characters. EBR (aka Felicity) is not present - I suppose - because her character is "nothing new". Now, I admit that this is also the case for DR's character (aka Diggle), but unlike Felicity, Diggle has a special "world enhancing" comic book connection, namely, a connection to HIVE and ARGUS.

I don't write this in order to defend the selection of actors for the TCA panel. (I'm angry that they haven't included other females.) I just try to understand what is on their mind. I guess they are so excited about their "shiny new toys" (superheroes/ villains from the DC Comic universe) that they overlook other aspects. And this makes me sad, because my fear is they commit themselves to the rule "The more capes and tights the better"... and I beg to differ. I think the appeal (and ultimately the success) of the show depends less on the presence of as many DC comic book characters as possible and more on a well written multifaceted story and the presence of multilayered relatable characters and their believable interaction.

• Love 4

I wonder if they'll add EBR as a last minute addition to the TCA panel due to all the backlash, if she's going to be in LA anyway.  Or maybe she's on the plane - albeit in a different section - because she was a last-minute addition.

Here's my speculation as to why they have such a testosterone-heavy TCA panel.  One, the CW wants to establish itself as the network to watch for superhero shows (since superhero shows and movies are so popular right now) so they want to show off all their shiny new DC Comics toys - er, characters - that they've gotten the rights to use (as Kordi said).  Two, the CW wants to change its old rep of being the teen drama network that appeals mostly to girls and show that they are a network that'll attract the male demo as well.  Hence, you've got all these men on stage playing DC "heroes and villains".  Then, they had to add at least one female so they picked KC because they want to promote the upcoming BC (non-)arc for ratings reasons and because she's playing a black leather clad DC character who fights (again the geek boy sexual fantasy).  As has been mentioned, DR is the question mark because he's not playing a costumed, classic DC superhero or villain and Diggle has as much of an arc on the next three episodes as Felicity or Thea (I don't think the Suicide Squad/HIVE stories will air until later in the season; even so, Lyla has an equal connection to them, but AMM's not on the panel either).  However, he does fight, he's a man, and he adds diversity to the panel.  But still, the panel looks odd and gives a bad impression of both shows.

Incidentally, I think it's right for KC to be there but she should not be the only female cast member included.  Some of those guest stars could have been omitted, and their characters just mentioned by the EPs.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I wonder if they'll add EBR as a last minute addition to the TCA panel due to all the backlash, if she's going to be in LA anyway.  Or maybe she's on the plane - albeit in a different section - because she was a last-minute addition.

Well she was at the CBS Golden Globes party with Berlanti & Colton. Seems is partly also a CW party with it being co-owned by CBS.  But dont know if it means anything.

Yeah I maybe get not having EBR there. But no other women on the panel at all? As someone else said, if they're pulling in guest stars, Katrina Law would have been an excellent choice. And I also don't get the exclusion of Jesse L Martin, as well as the two Flash ladies. Danielle Panabaker is part of the Firestorm story, so why not include her?

I don't know - it just looks weird.

EBR plays the 2nd most popular character on the show and is arguably the main driver behind much of Arrow's positive media publicity since TV critics love her character and EBR's acting on the show. She's an essential part of the show and there is absolutely no reason that she shouldn't be included. I think they didn't include her because they are well aware that KC plays the least popular character on the show by a mile and KC is not a favorite of TV critics for her questionable acting choices. Clearly, the reason that EBR was kept off the panel is because the EPS (and possibly KC herself) were worried about EBR overshadowing KC. That's really inexcusable.

But, even if EBR was included I'd still be annoyed. Willa, the two sidekicks from Flash should have been included before these silly guest stars. And if they are including guest stars, Karina should have been included before some of these men.

• Love 2