Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I remember the show Power Rangers used to replace it's actors like some people do their underwear and occasionally, they would bring all of their former actors back for special episodes (e.g. one episode featured just about every incarnation of the Red Ranger). Let's hope the Arrow production staff never comes up with the brilliant idea to do a special Black Canary episode with Dinah, Sara and both versions of Laurel because I can't imagine anything creepier than watching 4 blonde women, all dressed in black leather and using a variation of the same superpower (the sonic scream), chasing down criminals in Star City. The implications of that are just too much for me. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It was her choice, she told people at Portland that she wanted to go Blonde to embrace the character.

Stupid choice IMO but she's the one that made it and, yes the EPs could have thrown a fit but, shows tend to lighten up in S6

Yeah, it's a really stupid choice because it makes no sense from a character point of view. The Dinah storyline wasn't well-thought out to begin with because she's being pushed to take up the mantle of a woman she's never met and knows next to nothing about instead of carving out her own superhero identity/destiny. While she goes on this journey, she has to face constant reminders of her predecessor in the form of Laurel's mannequin and now Black Siren. A woman in Dinah's position should be fighting for her own individuality instead of turning herself into a physical copy of the person she's meant to be replacing and keeping the brunette hair would have gone a long way to accomplish that. It's sad, but sometimes it feels like we fans put more logical thoughts into these characters than the actors who portray them. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 19

I think Dinah has potential but the idea that she has to be BC is just weird to me, especially as she knows nothing of Laurel. She's still pretty much a stranger to the whole team, IMO, so the fact that they just picked this random woman from another city simply because she has the canary cry is just...ridiculous. I thought Laurel's rise to BC was shaky at best but it somewhat made sense because it was her sister and she took on her sister's mantle/identity to find her killer or whatever. Dinah, however, is the case of "Well, she has the comic book name and she's a meta so it's okay" and no, it's not.

I still find the whole interchangeable Canaries thing so gross so Dinah going blonde just makes it worse for me, haha. I know I need to let it go but sigh. I don't wike it!

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I still find the whole interchangeable Canaries thing so gross so Dinah going blonde just makes it worse for me, haha. I know I need to let it go but sigh. I don't wike it!

Assuming from JH's comments that dying her hair was her choice, I am seriously questioning what the EPs are telling her about the character then that she is taking steps to be MORE like Laurel.  Honestly, I have no idea why this woman would even want to be on the team except that Oliver wants her to, especially since she's supposed to be a generic "strong woman" who immediately starts copying the physical characteristics of the dead woman who's mantle she is taking. If she starts wearing power suits and crossing her arms...

Edited by leopardprint
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Assuming from JH's comments that dying her hair was her choice, I am seriously questioning what the EPs are telling her about the character then that she is taking steps to be MORE like Laurel.  Honestly, I have no idea why this woman would even want to be on the team except that Oliver wants her to, especially since she's supposed to be a generic "strong woman" who immediately starts copying the physical characteristics of the dead woman who's mantle she is taking. If she starts wearing power suits and crossing her arms...

I don't think it's anything to do with the EP's. This was her decision so I'm assuming she's been studying the comics and BC in the comics was blonde, most of the time. I think that's probably the extent of it tbh. I don't think it's specifically about being more like Laurel or anything. 

6 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I don't think it's anything to do with the EP's. This was her decision so I'm assuming she's been studying the comics and BC in the comics was blonde, most of the time. I think that's probably the extent of it tbh. I don't think it's specifically about being more like Laurel or anything. 

Which isn't even accurate because for over 4 decades, BC was a dark-haired woman who put on a blonde wig when she took to the streets as a vigilante. But I agree, Juliana went blonde because she read a couple of BOP comics where Dinah has dyed blonde hair and that was the extent of her decision-making. Very disappointing to say the least. 

• Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

Which isn't even accurate because for over 4 decades, BC was a dark-haired woman who put on a blonde wig when she took to the streets as a vigilante. But I agree, Juliana went blonde because she read a couple of BOP comics where Dinah has dyed blonde hair and that was the extent of her decision-making. Very disappointing to say the least. 

Absolutely but, i don't really think she put that much thought into it. She sees pictures/comics and BC/Dinah is blond.  She sees CL and KC when they played previous Canaries and they were blond at the time, so JH embraced the character and went blonde.

I disagree with her decision, she should have stayed her natural hair and wore a blond wig. It made sense for the character, set the actress apart from previous versions and honored BC history to boot. But it was her choice so I'll just shake my head and move on.

I can't believe that Smallville handled the character the best (secret identity wise) with BC having short blond hair and Dinah wearing a red or brown wig.  Of course secret identities were way more important on Smallville than Arrow.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think today was supposed to be the first one back shooting.

I remember when Juliana Harkavy was cast and people  were saying Yay, a POC.

59 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Who said that the ghost of Black Canary was haunting these actresses?  ? 

Me, but probably others too.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Belinea said:

Reminded me of that old TV mini-series, Stephen King's The Stand, when Nadine (played by Laura San Giacomo) had sex with the Devil and her dark hair turned grey overnight.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Chaser said:

These are not flattering blonde shades.

Im concerned about EBR and WHs hair.

EBR grew out her hair and is back to being however blonde she was at the end of season 5. I doubt she's going to change it! And Willa? there's not much to do with her hair haha I'm glad she's pretty adamant on keeping her natural hair color.

That shade on KC is terrible. And that shade on JH is also terrible.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Reminded me of that old TV mini-series, Stephen King's The Stand, when Nadine (played by Laura San Giacomo) had sex with the Devil and her dark hair turned grey overnight.

OMG you're right! ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

Is she getting blonder also?

Just a few days ago, I saw some KC fans on Tumblr wondering when she would go full blonde to lay her claim to the BC mantle. I can't believe that this is what this show and fandom has devolved into, but the EPs have cultivated this toxic culture, unfortunately. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, way2interested said:

By letting actors make changes to their hair?

No, by playing musical chairs with the Black Canary identity and their unwillingness to write for more than one woman at a time. 

• Love 10

It seems to me that the actresses show a good degree of superficiality regarding this choice..it's not on anyone else..just to be clear I'm not saying they are superficial people, I don't know them so I can't even speak on that, I'm saying in this they focus on something superficial. The hair don't make the character but they all go there..

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

No, by playing musical chairs with the Black Canary identity and their unwillingness to write for more than one woman at a time. 

Ah. Well, fandoms are going to fandom, actors are going to act, writers are going to write, producers are going to do their thing, and networks and companies are going to interfere. It's a collab effort, so I don't solely blame the EPs for anything, or that's how I see it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ultimately, it's the EPs and writers who are responsible for the characters though. So either they are telling her nothing about the character so she is drawing from the source material? Or her character bio is just superficial elements like "tough cop girl, screams, wears fishnets, blonde." Who knows though? I suspect maybe it's just typical Arrow careless characterization . It is strange how all the Canaries have gone with the same physical characteristics though. 

Edited by leopardprint
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Ultimately, it's the EPs and writers who are responsible for the characters though. So either they are telling her nothing about the character so she is drawing from the source material? Or her character bio is just superficial elements like "tough cop girl, screams, wears fishnets, blonde." Who knows though? I suspect it's just typical Arrow careless characterization. 

They are responsible for the bad writing but they don't seem to be involved in the appearance (hair/costume). Also for people like some of us that say trying to be different would have added something to the character there are for sure others that want them all to have the same look. Like there are people that still really care about Oliver having a goatee for some reason.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Like there are people that still really care about Oliver having a goatee for some reason.

Ah yes, facial hair is crucial characterization. ?  I totally get your point but the 4 Canaries are all supposed to be different people so it's super weird that they want them to look the same. It's not a recasting of the same character (allegedly). I could see an argument for the Black Canaries to maintain a consistent look but not for Sara, Laurel and Dinah to. I expect we are going to find out Dinah went undercover with a rogue gang of assistant District Attorneys. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4

Who's "they," though? It's not the EPs, since JH and KC went blonde on their own accord and CL was already blonde. If anything, it's the actors who want the same look and the EPs just giving them an ok, not their prerogative.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Ah yes, facial hair is crucial characterization. ?  I totally get your point but the 4 Canaries are all supposed to be different people so it's super weird that they want them to look the same. It's not a recasting of the same character (allegedly). I could see an argument for the Black Canaries to maintain a consistent look but not for Sara, Laurel and Dinah to. I expect we are going to find out Dinah went undercover with a rogue gang of assistant District Attorneys. 

If you are talking about the fans I think it's kind of like that. People talk about who is their Black Canary, so it's basically four different actresses and characters competing for one spot.

The EPs didn't tell KC or JH to go blonde for the role..it was the actresses..(CL was always blonde I think?) and I think it's also because they think about being Black Canary..they didn't think it made sense for Laurel or Dinah in that moment to change their look..mask >>> character.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby

I think the EPs should have told JH "Look Juliana, I know CL and KC were blonde Canaries but we'd like you to go with the classic Black Canary look of brown hair, blonde wig.  That's who Dinah was."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Ultimately, it's the EPs and writers who are responsible for the characters though. So either they are telling her nothing about the character so she is drawing from the source material? Or her character bio is just superficial elements like "tough cop girl, screams, wears fishnets, blonde." Who knows though? I suspect maybe it's just typical Arrow careless characterization . It is strange how all the Canaries have gone with the same physical characteristics though. 

I really don't think the EP's would have cast JH or let her keep her darker hair all last season if they hadn't approved of her appearance.  I mean, that's the look they CHOSE to cast, lol, only for another actress to request to switch it up.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I really doubt hair/hairstyles are high on an EPs priority list.

Not for Dinah apparently.  Interchangable Canaries.  Willa Holland had to get permission to cut her hair, as did EBR.

• Love 5

It brings me back to my Buffy days when Charisma (Cordelia) was going blonde at the beginning of S2 and Joss was like "nope. Go back to brunette, SMG is the only blonde we need on the show" and then of course she went over to Angel and was allowed to make that mistake of going full blonde and then they brought in Emma who dyed her hair every other week.

It's nice that MG and co. let her do what she wants but they also need to determine if they have a certain look they want to go for for the show in general. But their failure to care shows in the show overall. 

2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

It brings me back to my Buffy days when Charisma (Cordelia) was going blonde at the beginning of S2 and Joss was like "nope. Go back to brunette, SMG is the only blonde we need on the show" and then of course she went over to Angel and was allowed to make that mistake of going full blonde and then they brought in Emma who dyed her hair every other week.

I've heard stories that Joss really did the dirty on Charisma and screwed her over a bit. I can't remember exactly what now but I just remember people saying Charisma really got the short end.

Just now, LeighAn said:

I've heard stories that Joss really did the dirty on Charisma and screwed her over a bit. I can't remember exactly what now but I just remember people saying Charisma really got the short end.

He did, wasn't one of his finest moments. Charisma got pregnant and didn't tell anyone until later in the pregnancy which forced them to change up the back half of Season 4 so they put the character in a coma at the end of the season and killed her off in a one off episode in S5. She was expecting to return to work after she gave birth just to find out she had been written out.