Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

He responded to somebody saying he asked all three guests 2 questions each. The tweets I've been seeing said most of the questions were comic book-y and for KC. I don't know if those overlap. Can anyone clarify?

Capture.PNG

My impression from watching the panel was that it felt like KC got the majority of the questions because her answers were longer and more rambling than Josh and especially Emily, who spoke quickly and had succinct answers. It just felt like she talked A LOT, whether the question was for her or not. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3
(edited)

This video is 43 minutes long...

Stephen Amell Heroes And Villains Fan Fest London 2017 Full Q&A Panel
Published on May 28, 2017, by Super HeroNexus

-- SA first talked about doing American Ninja Warrior. He said that when the obstacles are over land, you're fine, but when the obstacles are over water, "you panic immediately 'cause you think you're going to fall in." He said that after second obstacle, you'll see him tapping his arm and that's because he thought he "tore [his] bicep off of the bone after the second obstacle" and he "couldn't feel anything from there to there (indicating parts of his arm)." He made it as far as he expected. He was "really worried" about the floating blocks that you have to run across. He thought that that was the most challenging obstacle because sometimes the blocks tilt at weird angles and because they're over water. So he said it was just like - he then crossed himself and made a forward zipping gesture. He thought he could learn how to do the other obstacles.

-- Fan: "Season 4, you became the magical Green Arrow, do you reckon that was the greatest thing?" SA: "You know, we tried magic on the show, and you have to try things on the show. We're going to try things in Season 6. They're going to work. We're going to try things in Season 6 that aren't going to work. I think that ultimately - I was reading a review about Season 4 of Arrow. And there were lots of parts of Season 4 that I really love, uh, that people didn't like. Lots of parts of Season - every season - that I love that people don't like. And there are parts that I dislike that people enjoy, which is part of viewing a television show. But I read something online from a reviewer that I really respect that he said, 'you know, it feels like the most Arrow part of Arrow Season 4 happened on an episode of Legends of Tomorrow when they showed Old Oliver.' And I read it and I went, 'Shit! He might be right.' So I just thought that - uh, I loved having Neal McDonough on the show and would have him back in a second - but I thought that, you know, leaning back into some of the stuff that we knew on the show, that have cultivated over, you know, the first three seasons and also the fourth season was the better way to go."

-- When asked who was his favorite villain in all the series, SA: "Is Josh right behind me? ... I thought, obviously - I thought Manu Bennett in Season 2 did a marvelous, marvelous job. I don't - I don't think of John as a villain so much, maybe because I know him. But, uh, I thought... I thought that the personal element this year between Oliver and - uh, between Oliver and Adrian... just because we were able to button up so much of the story and so many of the things - (He then talked about watching video of people reacting to watching the finale and going, "Full circle. Full circle.") ... I think that Josh and the Prometheus villain probably fit the very best into a season. But I think that from an iconic standpoint, it's certainly - it's certainly, uh, Deathstroke."

-- Child fan asked what he should do if he wants to become an actor when he's older. SA replied that he doesn't have to wait to become an actor if he has a phone. He can start creating content right away. He also recommended acting classes, etc.

-- EBR then crashed the panel. Fan asked about their favorite moments across the three series (Arrow/Flash/Legends).  EBR said that she "will always remember fondly" when the Flash was introduced on Arrow because it changed everything going forward. SA said that he liked "the quieter moments on the show" and then talked about filming the trapped-in-the-bunker scenes in 520. [tv echo: Transcriptions of the rest of EBR's portion of this panel were previously posted upthread.] Then EBR left.

-- When asked if there was ever a time when he wanted to punch Oliver in the face, SA: "Um, like today? (Audience laughs) No, I mean, look, I do like playing a character that has flaws, for sure, because flaws are what make us interesting. Um, I haven't talked with the producers a lot about Season 6, but one of the things that I did say is that, based on everything that has happened this year, everything about the introduction of the team and relying on other people and not just getting yourself in a predicament and immediately drilling down and saying 'I'll handle it by myself.'  I said, going forward, Oliver has to learn that's not the right way. If we're still doing that after everything that's happened this year, people are going to be like, 'well, he's never going to learn, I'm probably going to change the channel.' ... And I think it's very important that, next year, he learns those lessons. And you start to - it would be nice to see someone be irrational and, like, brick-headed, and have Oliver go, 'ehh, maybe think about this for a little bit for the following reasons.' I think that would be a more interesting thing to play going forward with the show."

-- SA then responded to a question about his inspiration to become an actor.

-- Josh Segarra then crashed the panel. SA answered a question about his favorite thing to do in his free time (spending time with his family). JS gave the same answer (family), plus watching professional wrestling, reading and watching TV. Both said "The Flash" was their favorite superhero. When asked for his hardest stunt, SA talked about shooting the finale scene on the boat (worried about the weather and missing the crucial shots). JS talked about shooting the scene where he tortured Oliver in the cell (real shackles) and how he really respected SA. They then talked with child fan about favorite movies, and SA mentioned Boss Baby scene. Fan asked about SA's WWE appearance. SA and JS talked about how "sad" it was that JS couldn't join him at Wrestlemania, and SA texting him every hour with cardboard cutouts of JS' head. SA said that he was "so nervous" when he made his first wrestling appearance. JS talked about his "fangirling" reaction to watching SA's WWE appearance ("He's doing amazing. I'm so proud.") and then going in to shoot his first day of Arrow.

-- When asked for S6 theme, SA:

"The theme for Season 5 is legacy. From what I understand, the theme of Season 6 is family." Fan: "So we're going to see William again?" SA: "Sure."

-- When asked for his favorite Flash crossover, SA said it was his first crossover with Flash

-- Fan: "So we know that you and Emily do a lot of improv. And Marc did release the script for the 520 scene... So I wanted to know, how did it go?" SA: "I was explaining it to you - if you pull out my table later, you will see a very, very awful drawing of a tree, which I was trying to use as an analogy. But the script is like a tree. And you don't want to poke a hole in the tree. But you can add additional stuff around it that they can take or they can leave. Right? So, a lot of the things that happen on the show that are ad libs are not recreating lines. But a lot of times the stuff is written, it's written like speeches and not like conversation. Which I think is a - is a commonality through all of television and film. And just occasionally, it's - it's honest and truthful to react to something. And they can take that reaction or they can leave it. You know what I mean? So Emily and I just had fun with that scene. And, um, I'm sure there was a version that was very close to exactly what was on the page. And we leave it up to the director and the editors and producers to pick the moments that they like. You know? Sometimes they do. More often than not they don't, and it more closely resembles what we saw on the page." Fan then said the whole episode and scene was great. SA: "Oh, thank you, thank you. I like playing red wine drunk Oliver." JS: "Yeah, that's a good Oliver."  JS then left.

-- When asked if he got to see each episode before it airs, SA: "That's a great question. I watch the network cut. The network cut tends to be somewhere in the area of 45 second - 45 seconds to a minute longer than what you guys see. So they'll take - they'll pull a minute out of it. And generally, that's not by taking out a scene. That's more - they sort of pluck the air out of things where you condense something. Uh, but the network cut is the equivalent - you remember that trend of people who were taking selfies of themselves in the morning with no makeup on? That's what the network cut is like. If you like the network cut, you're gonna love the episode. Because it's not color corrected, the sound mix is not done, it has a temporary score, and it has temporary visual effects. So you really have to focus in on the performance and the story, because all the other bells and whistles aren't there. I watch that episode, because that episode is the proper litmus test of, are the performances on point, do I like the story, and do I have - And also, at that point too, if I have a note, or if I find a glaring omission, I can pass it on. So I watch that one."

-- When asked to do his intro speech, SA said that he forgot it and that he records it in August and then doesn't think of it again. He said that when the next one comes out, he'll tweet it.

-- When asked how he thought Oliver would cope as a full-time dad (if something happened to Samantha), SA: "Um, that would be a very interesting story, I'll tell you that much. I think that - I think that Oliver is more equipped to be a father than maybe he realizes... And I think - I hope that he would do a good job. Um, but that would certainly be an interesting dynamic... Yeah, it's too bad that at the end of the season, everybody died." (Audience laughs)

-- When asked what trait of Oliver he would want to get rid of, SA: "Uh, eyeshadow. No. Any trait of Oliver that I would get rid of? Uh, I would just say that Oliver is a very - he's a very linear thinker. He's a very task-oriented person. And, based on the nature of our show, he doesn't take a lot of time to stop and relax. You know, in our penultimate episode this year, Felicity says to Oliver - she's like, 'How's this going for you? You don't know how to relax.' 'It's torture, it's awful, I hate it.' It would be nice if that wasn't something that he [needed?]- conflict and strength and adversarial people in his life [to feel normal?-unintelligible words]." 

-- When asked which character he would play if he could play anyone other than Oliver in the Arrowverse, SA: "Diggle."

-- When asked for his favorite scene with John Barrowman, SA said that he didn't know that Malcolm was the Dark Archer in S1 when they were shooting his first scene with JB. He said that he peppered JB with questions back then (just like Josh Segarra peppered him with questions this season) and that was one of the most valuable experiences he had on the show.

-- When asked for what hero he would want to have a drink with, SA said John McClain (fictional hero of Die Hard).

-- Fan asked, of all the girls that Oliver's been with, who would he choose? SA: "It's Sunday morning, dude... What do you mean, 'been with'? ... You mean, like, had a meal with? ... Uh, what's your next question?"

-- When asked, if he could be in any of the British programs, which one would he like to be in, SA: "You mean other than Loose Women? ... I would love to be just somebody in the original U.K version of The Office, which is one of my favorite series of all time."

-- When asked if he thought Earth 2 Oliver would've treated Laurel better than Earth 1 Oliver, SA: "I think that everything is different for Oliver if he doesn't get on the boat. I mean, everything is different. And, uh, you know, there was obviously - there's obviously a version there, there's an Earth where, you know, it's Oliver [and? against?] Laurel forever. Uh, but I think that, [unintelligible word] Sara and a variety of other things, um, almost all his [faults? fall?]... made him into who he was meant to be." [tv echo: I had a lot of difficulty understanding what he said at the end there.]

-- SA ended his panel by praising the audience and thanking them.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

@tv echo, thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to do these transcripts. The first crossover is my favorite as well, because unlike the following ones the primary goal was to have fun.

I have to disagree with SA about Oliver not being able to relax. He was so relaxed in 401 that he could have led a spiritual retreat.

• Love 16
(edited)

A fan's report on some of what KC said at HVFF-London (I don't think her statements are actual spoilers, despite how they're phrased, but just her speculation, so I didn't use spoiler tags)...

'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Hints That Black Siren Will Finally Meet White Canary In Season 6, But Will They Be Enemies?
David Opie    May 29, 2017 
https://moviepilot.com/p/katie-cassidy-black-siren-meet-white-canary-arrow-season-6-laurel-lance/4280792

Speaking at the #HVFF in London, actress Katie Cassidy revealed Sara Lance may in fact see double next season, encountering her sister's evil doppelganger for the first time.
When asked how the two birds of a feather may interact with one another in the future, Cassidy explained to us that;

"I think thats something we'll definitely get to see next season... The different relationships, how each character will react. I don't know how Black Siren will react... I think she's very mysterious."
... However, suggestions that Laurel, Felicity and Oliver could form a love triangle of sorts seems unlikely — although Cassidy did state at the Fan Fest that this "would be a really interesting dynamic."

Instead, we're more likely to see further friction develop between Black Siren and Laurel's successor, the new Black Canary... While it's unlikely that the two will easily forget their fight, Black Siren and Black Canary may form an uneasy alliance if the rumors are to be believed and Laurel does in fact end up joining Team Arrow.

However, Cassidy doesn't share the same kind of animosity towards the new Black Canary. During her panel at the Fan Fest, Katie explained exactly how she feels about Tina continuing the legacy that Laurel left behind;

"I'm very supportive, especially of strong women. Laurel said that she wanted the Black Canary to live on and to pass the mantle. I fully support that. We live in a world now where women are becoming stronger... Another girl who gets to kick ass is amazing. Julia [Harkavy] is so sweet and so kind, such an amazing person. I was more than happy that she gets to fulfil those shoes."

Edited by tv echo

That's hard to take seriously. Its "Dinah" not "Tina". The "rumors" are fanmade. We've seen every reaction to BS already. I think KC is just talking about want she wants to see, I doubt she knows much about S6. I doubt anyone except SA knows much.

• Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Oliver has to learn that's not the right way. If we're still doing that after everything that's happened this year, people are going to be like, 'well, he's never going to learn, I'm probably going to change the channel.' ... And I think it's very important that, next year, he learns those lessons

Oh Oliver is going to learn his lessons?

IMG_3088.GIF.68b0be6916247c2f13eac44e63b9cbc3.GIF

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 11

Not a fan of this look tbh but if it means the comic fans will stop whining about the lack of goatee, whatever. 

29 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Not a fan of this look tbh but if it means the comic fans will stop whining about the lack of goatee, whatever. 

I'm surprised at how thick it's become. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

"I'm very supportive, especially of strong women. Laurel said that she wanted the Black Canary to live on and to pass the mantle. I fully support that. We live in a world now where women are becoming stronger... Another girl who gets to kick ass is amazing. Julia [Harkavy] is so sweet and so kind, such an amazing person. I was more than happy that she gets to fulfil those shoes."

https://moviepilot.com/p/katie-cassidy-black-siren-meet-white-canary-arrow-season-6-laurel-lance/4280792

I'm glad to hear that. Now if only KC's rabid stans could follow their idol's lead - it would make the whole Arrow fandom a much nicer place to be at. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

And I think it's very important that, next year, he learns those lessons

I would say it's very important for him to have learned those lessons. HE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO LEARN THEM AGAIN NEXT YEAR. 

Also, I hate to be this way, but girls can be strong without "kicking ass," people. 

Edited by bethy
  • Love 21

aaargh when will KC stop about the notion that in order to be a strong woman you have to be "badass" and "kick ass". She could've just said she supports someone taking on that mantle and it's nice to diversify the show but of course with Emily just minutes ago saying she didn't need to be in a costume to be a hero you'd think she'd correct herself.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

aaargh when will KC stop about the notion that in order to be a strong woman you have to be "badass" and "kick ass". She could've just said she supports someone taking on that mantle and it's nice to diversify the show but of course with Emily just minutes ago saying she didn't need to be in a costume to be a hero you'd think she'd correct herself.

From what I've seen of her at group panels, I'm not sure she even pays attention to what the other people on the panel say.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, strikera0 said:

I'm glad to hear that. Now if only KC's rabid stans could follow their idol's lead - it would make the whole Arrow fandom a much nicer place to be at. 

You know that's a lie lol. 

59 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

You can be a kick ass/badass woman and not be in an outfit. 

KC has never aknowledge that a woman can be kick ass and not wear a mask. During s4 she was claiming that Felicity can keep the LI role, because LL is a strong kick ass woman. But then she was also claiming this great connection with Oliver. 

• Love 18
(edited)

Media recap of DR's panel at Puerto Rico Comic Con on Saturday (this is the English translation provided by Google - I think some of his quotes were mistranslated - hope someone posts video)...

David Ramsey: Diggle is the most evolved character in Arrow
The CW series actor chatted with fans during a forum in the Puerto Rico Comic Con 2017.

29 DE MAYO DE 2017 POR NATALIA RODRÍGUEZ
http://dialogoupr.com/david-ramsey-diggle-es-el-personaje-mas-evolucionado-en-arrow/

As part of the Puerto Rico Comic Con (PRCC), special guest star David Ramsey, an actor in the Arrow series of the CW Channel, felt this weekend the support of Puerto Rican fans through a question and answer interaction made in the Ballroom Of the Convention Center.
"I think it's the human element that attracts  fans . Unlike other programs, there are many realistic elements and this makes the fans identify and stick to the show's relationships," explained the American guest.

Also, he emphasized the passion for the personage that has been interpreting for more than five seasons, and with which he even feels attachment. "We're family men, yes, but if I had a friend like Oliver, I would not be as handsome as Diggle. That guy kidnapped [on the show] my wife! "He exclaimed with laughter from the audience.
Still, Ramsey said the show returned to its origins this season. "We return to our roots: fighting crime in the streets. We move away from the mystical aspect and focus more on what the fans want to see. Some left the show , but we recovered others and got new fans," he said.

In the forum the actor discovered a talent to write, since in less than an hour he released some possible "storylines" for the next season of the series as: the origin of the Diggle character, villains and the crossover episodes that do with the other series Derived from Arrow. These are  The Flash , Legends of Tomorrow , Supergirl - which was adopted by CW after CBS dropped it - and Black Lightning .

As for the future of the series, Ramsey stressed that he would like the program to stay in its roots and that, for lack of stories, "just open comics, there is a lot of good stuff we can use."

"I think John Diggle is the most evolved character in the series. Comparing him to Oliver, he is just a regular man. But his sense of loyalty and responsibility is what makes people stick to the character, "he said.

To questions about which villain would like to see in Arrow , to which Bruce Wayne replied (Batman), with the proviso that would be more like an antagonist than a villain. He was also asked what superhero he would like to play, to which Ramsey did not hesitate to say Moon Knight, by Marvel. In fact, while he mentioned that he would like the DC universe of television to merge with the universe of films (DCEU), he warned that he understood the reasons why they are separate. However, he did not abound in his reply.

Regarding how he feels that his character was introduced to the world of comics thanks to his performance, he stressed that "it was not me who did that, it was you, the fans and I am very grateful."

David-Ramsey.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

"We're family men, yes, but if I had a friend like Oliver, I would not be as handsome as Diggle. 

This part gets mangled by Google. It's actually, We're both family men [DR and Diggle], but if I had a friend like Oliver, I wouldn't be as generous as Diggle.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

KC has never aknowledge that a woman can be kick ass and not wear a mask

I don't think it occurs to her which was a big part of why I did not like LL early on - the show kept telling me how strong she was, but the portrayal never matched the words.   It always seemed she was so busy waiting for the mask that she didn't understand she needed to be playing kick ass (and I am not talking about the physicality of the role) even without it.  

• Love 10
(edited)

I thought Jo-Anne Rowney was a fan when I posted her tweets from HVFF-London upthread, but apparently she's Social Media Editor for the U.K.'s Mirror Online (Daily Mirror). Here's her recap article (despite the headline, it's not really spoilery)...

Arrow season six spoilers, Olicity bunker scene and more as Emily Bett Rickards crashes Stephen Amell's HVFF panel
BY JO-ANNE ROWNEY   29 MAY 2017
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/arrow-season-six-spoilers-olicity-10522991

And here's another media recap of HVFF-London (warning: mentions S6 theme spoiler from SA panel)...

Heroes & Villains Fan Fest London Visit – Arrow, Captain America & More
29th May 2017 James Thompson 
http://www.filmoria.co.uk/heroes-villains-fan-fest-london-visit-arrow-captain-america-more/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

KC has never aknowledge that a woman can be kick ass and not wear a mask. During s4 she was claiming that Felicity can keep the LI role, because LL is a strong kick ass woman. But then she was also claiming this great connection with Oliver. 

I never said she did. I was talking about using those words as you can be a badass without the mask. KC has talked about Laurel being strong before she turned into Black Canary.

8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Lol did she call Juliana Julia or was that the authors mistake? 

(edited)

Transcriptions from above Super HeroNexus video of EBR/JS/KC panel at HVFF-London on May 28 (audio wasn't clear)...

-- Mod said first that they will not talk about the S5 finale (because it hadn't aired yet there). They then talked about how they liked London. Mod said that it's been an "absolutely amazing season" and that Arrow "is back on top." 

--Mod asked panel for their highlights of the season. EBR: "Well, Katie Cassidy came back. We had Mr. Josh on our show... which is such a treat. I mean, I [unintelligible words] before they started the show, so I'm kinda just living the dream." JS: "Let me tell you, this one over here (pointing to EBR) - the Captain is awesome, you know. Like Emily, she's just, uh - she was great. She kinda took us all in, you know. I felt welcome from the jump, you know, and, uh, that has a lot to do with her. She's the best. She's as cool as you guys think she is." EBR related a story about how she first met Josh. It was dark outside and she was about to get in her car, when he came up behind her and went, "Yo, man." She "freaked", screamed and turned around, and "Oh my god, I'm a huge fan." Then KC interjected something I didn't totally understand; and she and EBR exchanged some compliments about working together. JS talked about being a fan of Arrow before he got on the show, growing up as a little boy, and now wearing a mask and getting to play with "swords and ninja stars." He also talked about being a big wrestling fan. He then related how he described his work day to his wife as he walking out to door: "I'm going to kill a housewife, and then, uh, I'm going to put, uh, the Arrow in a choke hold, and then I'm going to eventually manipulate about 7 or 8 different people. I'll see you at about 7 pm tonight." KC said that it's "cool to be able to say that and be like, 'I'm just going to go to work and scream and blow over a bunch of buildings.'"

-- Mod asked KC if she always knew she was going to come back and if that was always the plan. KC: "Uh, I - no. I have no idea what was going to happen. Look, I've been very transparent about the whole - I didn't ask to leave... I understand from a producing standpoint and a writing standpoint, it makes sense." About coming back, she said that she had a conversation with MG after they shot her death scene in which he asked if she would "consider coming and playing with us, you know, in the future" and she said, "yeah, absolutely."  KC: "I've been here since - I've been [linked?] to the show since day one, [uintelligible words] not going to be around as often. As sad as that was, I'll always be [unintelligible word] the show. I love the show. Yeah, absolutely. And it sorta - one thing led to another, and... the rest is history."  JS: "KC's the boss, okay." EBR: "She really is." JS talked about how everyone told him how they missed her at work because they always had such a good time, so when he met KC, "she definitely didn't disappoint" and they "became buddies right off the gate." EBR said that KC was "irreplaceable" and "no one could fill her spot." KC said that it was "all of us. We're a team. We're a family" and blah, blah, blah,... "lifelong friendships" and "we're blessed." (It was an all-around lovefest.)

-- Mod said to EBR that this season she became "a bit of a badass" and even "got to dress this part in Legends," and then asked if next season she'll be "donning that outfit for Team Arrow."  EBR: "Well, I think that, uh, the character - I could be totally wrong on this, so please don't write me down for it - I do think that that character lives only in the Legends universe and the Legends timeline, so I think it would just depend on how we could manipulate our story and [unintelligible words] a badass Felicity Smoak who hasn't been named as a superhero on the [unintelligible word] if she can come over to, sort of, our show. But, in terms of our show, like, I always stand by the [unintelligible word], I don't think Felicity should a superhero or whatever. She's already a hero in her own [sense?]. I like who she is, and who she plays. [unintelligible words]... I like this other character... She's kinda gritty and edgy and I love doing that. But as far as Felicity goes, ... she is who she is, and she's already doing [superhero stuff?]." 

[tv echo: As you can tell, I had trouble understanding the audio, but according to the Daily Mirror's report on this panel, EBR said, "I already feel she's a superhero... just without a mask. I've never felt that she needed that," that Felicity's abilities - hacking and helping the team - made her a hero, rather than powers, and that she's "happy to listen to those who want to argue, but I will always think Felicity at her core is a hero anyway... She doesn't need to get a suit."]

-- Mod then asked EBR about the Helix storyline and whether that was going to be a big arc next season. EBR said that she worked on her first film ever with Kacey Rohl (I think it was the Flicka: Country Pride movie), so she was "very very lucky" to be able work with her again. Then I think she said that we'll probably see Kacey again.

-- Mod asked JS if it's true that he's been on Broadway. JS confirmed, mentioned his stint on On Your Feet, and said that he was a "theater nerd." JS demonstrated a dance move and twirled both KC and EBR. 

-- Mod then opened up for fan questions. Fan asked EBR about "Smoak Industries." EBR: "Well, I do think it's definitely in the [platform?] for the story that'll [unintelligible word] eventually. But I can't tell you when because I think it's sort of one of those things where [unintelligible words-something about if there's time for it, etc.]... But it has to happen, because didn't we see it in Legends? So it does have to happen."

[tv echo: Again, I had trouble understanding the audio, but according to the Daily Mirror's report on this panel, EBR said: "We're working towards Smoak Technologies, I can't say when but I'd say that's going to happen."]

-- Fan asked KC about Black Siren. KC talked about working with Paul Blackthorne and how the dynamic is so different because they're used to playing a father-daughter relationship. She said that we can expect to see next season how different characters will react to Black Siren. She doesn't know how they will react or how she will react because Black Siren is "very mysterious." EBR then asked KC if Black Siren has the same family on Earth 2. KC said that Black Siren had same family (sister Sara, father Quentin) and "same boyfriend" (Oliver), but they're different people. Stupid mod then asked if we might see a Black Siren/Oliver/Felicity love triangle next season. EBR said that she'd watch that show. KC said that it would be an "interesting dynamic." She then said she had so much fun playing Black Siren against Felicity, and that she and EBR are "so close" in real life.

-- Mod asked KC and JS if they liked playing the bad guys or the good guys. KC said that it was "so much fun" playing a bad guy. She also said that it was a "tough" decision (which she preferred), because she played Laurel for four seasons and felt close to that character, but playing a villain made things "fresh." JS said that you can't play a villain like he's a villain. JS: "I don't think Chase is a bad guy. I think he's a misunderstood guy. I think that he's lonely. I think he likes Oliver a whole lot." He then said to go back and watch the scene where Chase said Oliver hit on his girlfriend, Oliver said he was a different man back then and that she went home with the better man, and Chase said she went home with Oliver but that he didn't hold grudges. JS said that he wasn't playing Chase as a bad guy. KC then praised JS' acting and EBR's acting.

-- JS said that he wanted to "make something very, very clear" - SA let him beat him, because in real life, he wouldn't have a chance against him.

-- Fan asked the panel that when they have to shoot scenes that are "sad or dark or emotional" if they listened to music to help them prepare. KC said that she doesn't listen to music or watch anything because, on the days when she has to get emotional, she gets "really weird", likes to be by herself and sometimes paces a lot and is pretty quiet. KC: "I mean, I don't think Emily and I spoke at all in Season 2." EBR: "We didn't. Katie and I barely conversed in Season 2 because Katie's character was in such a dark place." JS said that he loved when "people talked about the Prometheus music because I never really listened to it... But now, somebody played it for me and I was like, 'oh, that sounds pretty spot on.'" JS then turned to EBR: "What about you? She, okay - also, time out. (Puts hand on EBR's shoulder) This is who I go to - this is who I go to for my music knowledge, okay. I promise you, weekly, I'd say, 'yo, EmBett, what's in the iPod, man?' And she'd say - [rest cut off]." EBR said that when she has to be emotional, when she's not talking like the character in a scene, she "has to be the opposite...I'm more jovial, more over the top...like I have to be two extremes" and she "has to be on the opposite side of the spectrum... like, when I'm out of it, I'm out of it, and when I'm in it, I'm in it." She said that "there's an energy that comes from having to drop into that, that I almost have to be the opposite [when I'm not shooting the scene]." EBR: "It's a weird process. I'd think of like a really small part of my body, like a bow, and I'll just put all of my energy into it [and release it?]."

-- Fan asked the panel if they miss their family life when they're on set. EBR: "You always miss the people you love when you're not around them. But as long as you're happy and you can think about them being happy, then I think you're in a good spot." JS: "That's what so great about this set, is that everyone connects with each other, you know, because we get to shoot in Vancouver. So, Em's our resident Vancouverite. She's from - that's her hometown. So she's the local, right. But everybody else would go out after work, and some of us would have - get to bring our families with us and some of us can't. Um, but I'll tell you, my love, I have a little boy at home. He's 8 months. And he's my guy. And, yes, when you go to work, you miss them a lot... But you try to put that into your work. You try to - you try to take those feelings that you have and you tr to put them into everything, you know, so you do." KC said that when she went to Vancouver, she left her family in Los Angeles and she missed her sister, but then she got to meet "these incredible people" who became her "family."

-- Fan asked the panel for their favorite TV program. EBR: "Firefly." KC: "Stranger Things." JS: "The Sopranos."

-- Fan asked KC how it felt having someone take up the Black Canary role after her (after she had taken up that role from Sara). KC said that she's "very supportive of strong women" and that Laurel had asked for someone to take over the Canary role when she died. She praised JH as "so sweet and so kind" and a "hard worker" and an "amazing person." She was very happy to have JH take over, "and who knows what goes on, I have no idea... obviously I don't write the show."

-- As the final question, mod asked the panel what the audience can look forward to in the S5 finale (without giving too much away). EBR: "I think you can look forward to the things you love, which is, a lot of heroic events, a lot of explosions, definitely death, and, um - I hope that all of you don't breathe through the whole thing, but live through it." JS: "I was sore for about a week and a half after we wrapped. And when you see it, you'll understand why. And it has to do with that big, strong, fast dude that's running around here somewhere. Yeah, it goes down. It goes down." KC said that you'll want to know what happens the next season. Mod said that the finale was the "one of the best episodes of television this year."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm going with the charitable read, KC's headcanons not withstanding, and say they were both being polite to the asker about the love triangle question.

Thanks so much for the transcript, @tv echo.

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 7
(edited)

You're welcome. You know what's both funny and sad? Based on that HVFF-London panel above, one of the comic book sites published an article with the headline, "Emily Bett Rickards Wants a Love Triangle with Oliver and Black Siren."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I'm going with the charitable read, KC's headcanons not withstanding, and say they were both being polite to the asker about the love triangle question.

Thanks so much for the transcript, @tv echo.

Yeah I didn't watch the video, so maybe it comes across differently there, but going by the transcription, "interesting dynamic" is a pretty noncommittal answer, and she transitioned to talking about working with EBR rather than expounding on the love triangle issue.  That's.....more tactful than I'm used to her being on the subject.  

It was a really stupid question though.  Why, seriously, why?

And yes, thank you @tv echo for the transcription. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6
(edited)

Finally! From May 27 (video is 48 minutes long)...

David Ramsey @ Puerto Rico Comic Con 2017
Published on May 29, 2017, by LosCriticologos

-- On why he thinks Arrow is so popular, DR: "Well, no one knew, right? No one knew Arrow was gonna, like - the Green Arrow arguably is - you can't see it now, from the success of it - but arguably, to begin with, it was kinda of a sub-tier character in terms of his popularity. Right? There's Batman, Superman, Flash. Uh, much more popular characters than Arrow. So, when Arrow first hit, believe it or not, we were being compared to the success of Smallville, uh, which went 10 years. So, um, we had some big shoes to fill. And we shoot in Vancouver, and much of the crew had even worked on Smallville before they came over to Arrow. So nobody knew. Stephen Amell, our great leader of the show, was, you know, relatively unknown, and, um, this huge responsibility got thrust on his shoulders to carry this show and just - no one knew. So it - we're very, very grateful. And, it's really the fans. I mean, the fans have really made this successful. You guys have done this - the four spinoffs. Flash, Supergirl, Legends, and now Black Lightning. I mean, you guys all made that happen. And, um, it really is a testament, I think to, um - just in direct answer to your question. I think the human element. Right? This is a guy who - with really exceptional abilities. Um, but I think Arrow, as opposed to the other shows, there's a certain amount of - if you can be real as a crime fighter with a bow and arrow - but there's a certain amount of grounded, uh, element to Arrow. And I think people just kinda - have latched into the relationships on the show."

-- On whether he thinks his character, John Diggle, has evolved throughout the seasons, DR: "I think so.... Oliver's top three fighters in the world, right? Felicity's one of the top three smartest people in the world. Diggle's just a regular guy. Right? Joined the military. Decided to help his community, you know, by fighting crime. But he's just a regular guy who did a few tours in Afghanistan. And I think, in that sense, he's very accessible. So I think his evolution has been wonderful. Last season, we had a great arc with his brother. Uh, but I think that just in terms of who he is, his sense of loyalty, his sense of responsibility, I think people just kinda latch into that - kinda identify with how he's protective of his family, of his friends. I think he's probably the most normal of the group." 

-- On whether he identifies with Diggle, DR: "Well, we both love family. Right? I have a six-year boy who I'm just in love with. So I identify in that sense with John Diggle. I don't know if I had a friend with Oliver, if I would be as giving. He kidnapped my wife, man! His best friend changed my little girl to a little boy, man! (Audience member shouted something) I know, but it's still his friend! That's not cool. That's not hot. So, listen, David Ramsey would've cut this relationship off a long time ago. But, you know, with John Diggle, he's an exceptional friend."

-- On how he sees the Arrow producers/writers working to be as true as possible to the comics or if they take creative liberties with the comics, DR: "Well, obviously, they take creative liberty. Right? Going back to the relationships, some of the biggest relationships on the show - Oliver and Felicity - is not in the comic book. Diggle doesn't exist. He does now, but at first he didn't. And that was another relationship that just jumped off the screen. I mean, obviously, there's a certain amount - that's really a producer question, I'm not a producer of the show but - there's a certain amount of, uh, liberty they've taken. But the audience really kinda lets us know, I think, a certain amount, to a certain degree, um, what relationships they're really identifying with. Not to say that everything's written for the audience, but I think there is some sort of reaction that the writers and the production gets that they heed to a certain degree."

-- On why one tier of superheroes was on the big screen while another tier of superheroes was on the small screen, DR: "Well, I think some of it is politics, right? I mean, clearly these are Warner Brothers properties. I can't speak in terms of Marvel's or some of the other shows that are not DC's or Warners'. But in terms of Warner Brothers properties, this is - every single time there's a character on our show, there's some sort of check and balances that goes through in terms of DC and Warner Brothers. I don't know, that's way above my pay grade in terms of who that goes to. But there's approval and approval and approval and approval. And, you know, the public... the fans are well aware of this." DR then talked about the issues with Harley Quinn in S2, which ended up with her being a voiceover and side shot. He also mentioned the show killing off Deadshot and Amanda Waller. DR: "There's a long list of people that kinda have to approve of this... So I don't know how that is attached to what they want exactly. Like I said, that's above my pay grade. But, um, you know, that's part of the game." He then talked about how wants to see Justice League and how Aquaman's Jason Momoa was a good friend. He also said that he got invited to the Wonder Woman premiere, but he has to miss it (to be at this comic con). He then said that he doesn't know how it works that the bigger characters were on the big screen, while the smaller characters ended up on TV. But he said: "I think again, it doesn't matter how small the characters are or how big the characters are. It's about the writing. And, uh, it's about the connections - the relationships. The reason that Arrow, Flash, particularly have jumped off the screen is because of these great relationships within these stories."

-- On going forward into S6, DR: "Season 5 was about trying to get back to some of the nuts and bolts of Arrow, right? The way we started - kinda being, uh, street level crime fighting. Away from some of the magic, I think, and some of the supernatural things we kinda got into in Seasons 3 and 4 particularly. And I think we did a good job with that... I'm not exactly sure how that theme will continue in Season 6. The island, as you know, is gone. So there's no more flashbacks... So that's 7, 8 minutes or so of television, of storytelling, that now we have to get into. And, um, so there're other stories to tell. I mean, Diggle particularly is married to the leader or ARGUS. That's a great story. What is going on with the Suicide Squad? Um, how does - how do the prisoners on ARGUS, in ARGUS, how does that [film?]? ... That story alone is a six-episode arc if you wanted to go there. Then you have these other new characters. So I think, you know - I think we're going to delve into a lot of the other supporting characters next season. I don't know that for sure, but 8 minutes of television is a lot of storytelling."

-- Fan asked how he felt when he found out that Diggle was going to be introduced in the comics and that it was because of him. DR: "No, it's because of you. No, it really is. The fans identified with the Oliver-Diggle, Oliver-Felicity, Oliver-Diggle-Felicity relationship. That was something that really jumped off the screen, and the fans latched onto it." He then talked about the old speculation that Diggle was Jon Stewart. He was originally disappointed that that wasn't the case, but now he likes the idea of being an original character that's now in the comics. He's now "proud and grateful."

-- On his favorite cast member, DR said SA. His next favorite cast member is JBarrowman. He said that the three of them "crack each other up all the time" with dumb, low-brow pranks and jokes. He talked about how they shoot long days and just work out in between shooting. He also said that they shoot in the dark a lot and then joked about how the Flash set was "all bright and pretty" and "they shoot in the daytime."

-- DR then tactfully responded to a question about having the DC universe be one shared universe, film and television combined, using the same actors. 

-- When asked about his most fun when filming the Invasion crossover episodes, DR said that it was probably when they were in the pods and running in "pajamas" around the spaceship. He also said that they had basketball players playing the aliens and they were "hilarious." He also noted that the Invasion crossover did get away from S5's groundedness.

-- When asked for his top 3 picks for DC villains to join the Arrowverse, DR said that his #1 pick for" villain/we're not quite sure he's a villain" would be Bruce Wayne. DR added: "There's your ratings." His #2 pick would be Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett). And his #3 pick would be a vengeful Thea, "now that a certain person has left her life." But he said that he didn't know, but was just thinking as a fan.

-- When asked for his favorite line in character, DR (using deep Diggle voice): "No, Oliver."

-- Fan asked if he would like to compete in American Ninja Warrior like SA did. DR said that SA "rocked it." DR then told the story that about a week after he first met SA (and also KC), they had to do promo shoots. When he passed by SA's room, SA said, "Hey, David." And he had his shirt off, and when he turned around, he was just muscles all over his body. (DR said it in a funny way.) So DR was thinking to himself, 'And I'm your bodyguard? Like for real?' He said that SA was all "jacked." After that, he realized that he "had to hit it hard." So they've always had a healthy rivalry. He said that he could never do Ninja Warrior better than SA. However, he'd like to do it with SA against another show: "Like, call out the Supernatural boys. (Audience erupted in applause) ... Call out their little skinny asses." Or another show.

-- On his favorite villain from the whole Arrowverse, DR said Slade Wilson. He said that "Manu is a method actor" and that he's "really intense." He then talked about shooting the S2 scene where he's up in the rafters looking down, an 'unconscious' CH is strapped down, SGlau's character is shot by Diggle, and MB comes in and upon seeing SG's dead body, screams "AHHHH!" Then CH, who no one other than DR can see, opened his eyes wide.

-- On which superhero he would like to be, DR said Moon Knight.

-- Fan asked what other storylines he would like to see more of. DR: "I think we should make a decision on Oliver and Felicity. Get them together or apart. One or the other. Get that out of the way! And, uh, just make a decision... But for me, if they're together, they should kinda be like, uh - like - like Diggle and Lyla. It's just a matter of fact they're together. No big deal. Whatever. Keep it moving. You know what I mean? So - or they're apart. I think, just for me, there's a storyline there that just has to be fleshed down. Finally. Alright?"  DR: "Thea. Obviously. There's a big chunk of what happened on the island and what she feels about that - we can just delve into."  DR: "Diggle and Lyla. She's the leader of ARGUS, for god's sakes. Like, what does that do to their household? His son grows up to be Connor Hawke. Gimme a break! That's like rich. We can do some time-travelling... Who the hell is Diggle's doppelganger? Right? I'm just saying. I'm not a writer... Was Diggle hatched or does he have parents? Have we seen his parents, for god's sakes? Everyone has parents on this show, except for John Diggle. Okay. I'm just saying. So there's a story." DR: "And then you have the back story of Rene... And you have the back story of the new Canary. Um, you have the new Black Siren. Katie Cassidy, welcome back. Her redemption story or not redemption story. Is she a bad guy? Is there a team-up bad guy between the Canary and Speedy. Who knows?"

-- Fan said that Diggle started from a military man/bodyguard to now a family man/vigilante known as Spartan, and asked if he expected that or liked that. DR: "Well, a couple of things. Number one, practically, Diggle could no longer run around while you had Speedy in a red leather outfit, Green Arrow in a green leather outfit, the Canary in a black leather outfit, and Diggle in jeans and a bomber jacket. You just couldn't do it, right? He had his Glock and everyone else was a superhero. So practically he had to get some sort of concealment and armament, and we wanted to make sure that was some - in some way practical with his character, so we made kevlar and camouflage and [unintelligible words]. We have to find out what the heck this helmet does by the way, which is another story. Anyway, um, Diggle has been through his catharsis. He has been through his Afghanistan. He has been through his island. Arrow is a character that - the character's being created. I think that the Diggle-Lyla relationship and Diggle as a character is probably about three or four years more evolved than Oliver. He's adjusted to the idea of being both a father and a vigilante. Oliver's still struggling with that. He's still trying to figure out how to be true to his family, have a relationship, be a vigilante, deal with his darkness. He's still figuring that stuff out. Diggle has - he's been through that. And that's why he's such a wonderful friend to Oliver. Because he can mentor him. And he can deal with his post-traumatic-stress syndrome, which is exactly what Oliver's been dealing with. So - and he understands that as a soldier. So I think, um, Diggle has made the adjustment. So how is - how was that done? I think, just understanding the character. I think John Diggle is a very evolved character. Probably the most evolved of the group."

-- On where he would like to see Diggle go as a character, DR said that you "explore some of those relationships that you haven't seen," the Lyla storyline, the future of Connor Hawke, and his alternate universe doppelganger. DR: "And also, I think, the Oliver-Diggle-Felicity dynamic, which I think is one of the strongest things on the show."

-- They talked about some kind of food in Puerto Rico. They also talked a little about Dexter.

-- On how he would convince someone who hasn't seen Arrow to watch it, DR: "I would first ask them if they like - if they like stories with a lot of action. I wouldn't ask them if they are comic book fans. Because I think you can be a fan of Arrow without being a fan of the comic books. Because I think it is - it is first loaded with action. There's a lot of human drama. I think we can - there was a time when I could have said there's a certain amount of lightness to it, that there were some funny elements. But I would say that if you like a lot of action, um, if you like a lot of human drama with your action, a lot of cool relationships, I would say, watch our show. I think it's a lot of fun. A little dark, uh, but I think that's the appeal. So, uh, I would start with that."

-- They talked some about Flashpoint affecting Arrow, especially Diggle. DR would like to see how Flashpoint affects Arrow even more.

-- On what character he would like to play, DR said Luke Cage, but "that's gone now."

-- They then talked about Diggle's reactions to the Flash and to Supergirl. DR said that he loved the crossovers and would love more of them during the year. He thought that they could "go even bigger next year" but he doesn't know what they have planned. He'd also liked more DC characters in these crossovers as Easter eggs.

-- Fan asked if he was "Team Canary or Team Felicity for Oliver." DR: "I got friends! Um, yeah, well, I'll tell you something. In terms of the two actresses, they're both awesome. Um, I -I think - I've always loved Oliver and Laurel, you know. I've always loved that in the comic book. I - you know. Reading the Injustice series of how Oliver Queen gets killed by Superman and [Black Canary] goes berserk on him and takes a pill and she's going after Superman - and people who know the comic books know what I'm talking about. But just - just that thing - you know, that Canary/Green Arrow relationship is something that I love. But I can't deny what - you know, what you see on screen. You know, between - the chemistry between these two characters. I don't know, how about this? Since there's so many Earths, we can have it both ways, can't we? Oliver has slept with all of Starling City anyway. He slept with everybody except for Diggle's wife. Or has he? I'm just saying! So go to one of these Earths and see - ... I don't see if we can't have both. That's a very political answer."

-- DR said that he'd like to play Galactus.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1