Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm gonna have nightmares about Colton's Miss Piggy costume FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. *shudders*

*still shuddering*

Whatever you do don't look at the last couple of pictures on CH's instagram. Just...don't. 

*Shudders*

27 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Whatever you do don't look at the last couple of pictures on CH's instagram. Just...don't. 

*Shudders*

You realize all you did, was make me go look. What could possibly be so bad about a few pics of CH in drag as Miss Piggy? LOL

Edited by Morrigan2575
37 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

What could possibly be so bad about a few pics of CH in drag as Miss Piggy? LOL

Topless Miss Piggy.

28 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Topless Miss Piggy.

Oh yeah, I'm just saying that was my thought process. 

18 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Didn't he go topless as Ursula as well? I'm still not opening them because I'm not sure if you guys aren't covering up something worse.

He's posed topless like a Playboy Centerfold. I thought they were funny ?

• Love 3

I understand the issue with dressing up as an indian, but why are people mad that Hillary Duff dressed up like a pilgrim?  Is it that it was a couples costume so she's held responsible for the other half of the costume?  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I understand the issue with dressing up as an indian, but why are people mad that Hillary Duff dressed up like a pilgrim?  Is it that it was a couples costume so she's held responsible for the other half of the costume?  

Personally I am more upset with the BF's costume than Hillary's-- though the whole idea behind the couples costume was terrible. EBR's initial tweet completely missed the point- she also failed to realize people were upset about the BF's/couple's costume and not a "sexy pilgrim". Fanta stepping in made it worse. Instead of realizing the tweet was wrong, they defended EBR (with EBR retweeting Fanta's tweet too). It is especially glaring and ignorant as it's is happening at the same time as North Dakota Pipeline Protest. I have to say, EBR disappointed me and lost major points. If you are uninformed and don't realize why people are upset then don't talk about it. Which I believe as been her MO in the past. Why she chose this topic to voice her opinion on, who knows. 

And there is a bit of correlation between cultural appropriation and costumes, and Trump. Both are extremely racist, and those that are okay with the costume are probably those who are supporting Trump. So we should be worried about both. 

• Love 5

Plus, there's the assumption that one who calls out HD's BF doesn't ALSO advocate for POC the rest of the year. Like, I can have more than one thought at one time. Ah well, my problematic bae, we all have to keep learning and growing. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

I'm not defending her but we don't know what she advocates for. Most of the time whenever she does do something charity wise it comes out long after she does it and from other people. 

But there's no such thing as advocating in secret. To advocate for something you have to show support for a cause or you aren't advocating. Also it wouldn't make defending offensive Halloween costumes any better..we all have a lot to learn, she does too.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

But there's no such thing as advocating in secret. To advocate for something you have to show support for a cause or you aren't advocating. Also it wouldn't make defending offensive Halloween costumes any better..we all have a lot to learn, she does too.

Sorry I mean doing things/giving to charities. Not all celebrities do it out in the open. 

I just mean we can't assume just how she shouldn't have said what she said. 

I know some people will say "well how do you know she does or doesn't." I'm a fan of Britney Spears and she is a person who doesn't really like her charity to be out in the open. She does do some of her stuff for publicity but most of the time she has said she'd rather not get recognized for it. That's all I was trying to say. I guess advocate was the wrong word to use.

• Love 2
Just now, EmilyBettFan said:

Sorry I mean doing things/giving to charities. Not all celebrities do it out in the open. 

I just mean we can't assume just how she shouldn't have said what she said. 

I know some people will say "well how do you know she does or doesn't." I'm a fan of Britney Spears and she is a person who doesn't really like her charity to be out in the open. She does do some of her stuff for publicity but most of the time she has said she'd rather not get recognized for it. That's all I was trying to say. I guess advocate was the wrong word to use.

Yeah I think it was..because what Fanta said and Emily RTed about "advocating for minorities" has nothing to do with charity and that was the thing people were questioning..like you want to call out people that you think are focusing on a issue and don't advocate for minorities when you don't know what people do and you don't advocate for minorities..

I know many celebrities donate to charities without making a big deal out of it and it's great, but having a good, kind heart doesn't mean you can't say ignorant things..

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Yeah I think it was..because what Fanta said and Emily RTed about "advocating for minorities" has nothing to do with charity and that was the thing people were questioning..like you want to call out people that you think are focusing on a issue and don't advocate for minorities when you don't know what people do and you don't advocate for minorities..

I know many celebrities donate to charities without making a big deal out of it and it's great, but having a good, kind heart doesn't mean you can't say ignorant things..

Oh I know. Like I said above... she shouldn't have said what she said. Everyone says stupid crap at some time lol. I know I have.

5 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Ah well, my problematic bae, we all have to keep learning and growing. 

Hopefully she's willing to learn. That her first instinct was to retweet Fanta instead of taking a step back and thinking about what people were telling her is disheartening.

I hope she has a friend in that big circle of hers who understands cultural appropriation AND that a person can be concerned about two things at once that will sit her down and educate her on why that costume and her tweet (and the thought process behind it) are ignorant and offensive. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11

I hadn't heard anything when I read her first tweet so I thought people where slut shaming Hilary. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it until I looked up the whole situation and saw the BF. I had wondered if she had missed that too but then she retweeted Fanta. Which doesn't even make sense. It's like acknowledging they are offensive but at the same time it shouldn't be called out because...?

Never double down. I'm disappointed in her.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 3

It's the typical derailing that progressives use for excusing problematic behavior that they think is ~just harmless fun~! Why are you upset about cultural appropriation? There are worst! things! Privilege is being able to choose what's worse, you know.

• Love 12

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in EBR. I'd hope she'll learn from this and apologize (because we all make mistakes and say dumb shit and we are all ignorant about things until we're educated) but seeing as she tweets like she lives in her own world and never interacts with fans on Twitter, I doubt she reads her mentions which means she probably has no idea what she said was wrong.

So disappointed.

This is why I never stan celebs. Ever.

How do I put this, Twitter can inform but I wouldn't put it on her mentions to educate her. Last night I saw a lot of great responses that were aimed at expressing disappointment and explaining the situation but I also saw a whole lot of dragging. 'She can choke' 'Cancel her' 'ignorant bitch' and those were from her fans. It was brutal and unforgiving and I'm not sure what it teaches. 

She has people in her group who can give her the insight she needs. Aisha Tyler was the first one that sprung to mind. CH spent two three years in offensive costumes before recognizing the issue and apologizing for his actions. Even SA. I just hope they do and she learns from it. I'd love a public apology and acknowledgement (cough Bathroom Therapy cough) but we will see.

Yeah, don't ever Stan celebrities. Dont ever assume someone is without ignorance and that goes for everyone not just celebrities.

• Love 13

I hate when a celeb makes a mistake and people who were supposed fans all of a sudden have an epiphany about how they actually hate the celeb and they use it as an opportunity to publicly shame them instead of educating them. Emily made a big mistake tweeting that and the fact that she then double downed on it made it worse , people had every right to call her out on it but I saw some really nasty tweets from fans who claimed that just because you like a person doesn't mean you cant call them out. Educating someone doesn't mean you need to call them out. Emily rarely RT's and the fact that she RT fanta shows me that she was well aware of what she was doing. Emily only responds to tweets from friends or from verified accounts so it would have been fine if one of her friends educated her on the matter via a tweet or a message. Emily rarely tweets about social issues and the rare time she does, something like this happens, so it's a shame to see your fav being ignorant.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Talking like that to a person, any person, is gross to me. If you call names or say a person can choke it doesn't even matter to me if you were right because if you can be like that towards another human IMO you have very little to teach.

This is interesting timing for me. In the past couple of days two people I love have said something ignorant. We talked and it never occurred to me that they had no idea the implications. And then I realized that a few years ago, I wouldn't have either. I was in my mid 20s then, shouldn't I have known better?

It just made me realize education is an ongoing thing. I'm disappointed that EBR needs that but I'm not going to write her off. 

• Love 4

Someone responded to Fanta saying that most people who are against cultural appropriation also advocate for minorities the rest of the year, and she replied saying she knows they do but that the tweet is aimed at the people who don't. Like what?

Anyway, I don't think you have any leg to stand on telling people to care more about something than another thing, when you don't care about the first thing yourself. As far as I'm aware neither Emily nor Fanta have ever 'advocated for minorities' on their twitter feeds in their life, so they have no right really to go around telling others to over another issue*. 

*Like seriously what does advocating for minorities even mean anyway? Isn't being against racist depictions and stereotypes of minorities a way of 'advocating for minorities'? Why is one means of 'advocating for minorities' okay and another not? Oh I know, because you personally aren't offended by it. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

How do I put this, Twitter can inform but I wouldn't put it on her mentions to educate her. Last night I saw a lot of great responses that were aimed at expressing disappointment and explaining the situation but I also saw a whole lot of dragging. 'She can choke' 'Cancel her' 'ignorant bitch' and those were from her fans. It was brutal and unforgiving and I'm not sure what it teaches. 

She has people in her group who can give her the insight she needs. Aisha Tyler was the first one that sprung to mind. CH spent two three years in offensive costumes before recognizing the issue and apologizing for his actions. Even SA. I just hope they do and she learns from it. I'd love a public apology and acknowledgement (cough Bathroom Therapy cough) but we will see.

Yeah, don't ever Stan celebrities. Dont ever assume someone is without ignorance and that goes for everyone not just celebrities.

IDK, I saw some nastiness which is gross and completely unnecessary but I also saw a lot of people expressing disappointment and trying to explain the issue. So I feel like if EBR did read her mentions, she might have seen enough people expressing the same disappointment. And maybe that would've clued her in that she made a mistake. But she doubled down on it, which did her no favors, IMO.

I'm definitely not saying she should be educated by Twitter but I think it could open eyes to a different viewpoint. And then she could go educate herself on the matter. 

I tracked this tweet down because this is the person who's been building predicting models for the Arrow ratings on Tumblr:

Winning BACK viewers is always and forever a dumbass strategy, it doesn't even matter what they use to try and lure people back. Ships, masks, very special guests, dead people, etc. The only thing that gets Arrow extra viewers is crossovers, and those viewers are temporary.

From the spoiler thread:

I have to disagree with this, largely because winning BACK viewers is the corporate strategy at the heart of three of Disney's most successful franchises - and ultimately, at the heart of Disney's operations, which primarily focus on "Hey, if you loved Cinderella/Star Wars/Winnie the Pooh, come back to us - WE HAVE MORE OF THAT!" In general, it's been phenomenally successful, not just with films and merchandising, but also with television.  

Some television shows have also managed to win back viewers in later seasons after a second/third season or even later drop. The uber-example for genre television is probably Stargate: Atlantis, which not only regained some early viewers, but also managed to attract some Stargate: SG-1 viewers, before the complete collapse that was Stargate: Universe - and Stargate: Universe might have done better if it had tried to keep long term Stargate viewers instead of delivering something that had none of the elements Stargate viewers liked. On the other hand, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine initially lost Star Trek viewers because it "wasn't Trek," and then, in the last few seasons, slowly gained multiple Star Trek viewers who a) didn't have ST: TNG around, b) hated Voyager, and c) heard through word of mouth that Deep Space Nine not only really was Trek, but was arguably the "most Trekkie." 

Continuing with genre shows, in some cases - for instance, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 6, and Angel, season 5 - it's hard to tell if the bounces were returning viewers or new viewers. In other cases - X-Files season 6 - the gains clearly came from new viewers brought in after the post-season 5 film. Its most recent run did better than season 9, but failed to regain the peak of the X-Files audience. In other cases - for instance, Game of Thrones, which according to HBO resulted in several returning subscriptions this year, the networks have specifically credited increases in viewers/subscriptions to return viewers.

Leaving genre shows and heading back to television in general, in some cases, those "very special episodes" targeted specifically at gaining back old viewers - return or major guest stars, wedding episodes, series finales, etc - can and have been used to charge premium advertising rates - what Friends did with the Monica/Chandler wedding, for instance, and what the Arrowverse shows are presumably doing with the crossover episodes this season, even if those crossover episodes aren't in sweeps months and presumably won't be performing as well as they did in the prior two seasons. 

So the real question isn't whether or not former viewers should be targeted - the experiences of Disney and U.S. networks strongly suggest hell yes - but why the CW, in general, has not been particularly successful at winning back viewers, apart from occasional spikes for crossover episodes and after the CW bothers to remind people that oh yes, Supernatural is still on the air.  

TL:DR I think this is a pretty complicated question, and I don't know how much/if Arrow's numbers will recover.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

Ugh, Emily. Just NO. And don't make it worse by RTing your black friend saying it's all right for you to be problematic. Yuck.

TBH, I was mildly cringing at Emily's original tweet but that RT made me wanna bang my head against a wall. I get that not everyone is educated about these issues but no one with access to social media could be this dumb in this day & age, especially those who religiously celebrate Halloween and have friends/coworkers who have been called out for their ignorant costumes/remarks in the past and have apologized for that. 

Great post @quarks

Speaking only for myself shows can definitely win me back. I dropped The West Wing during S5 but would go back from time to time throughout S6 and watched S7 religiously.

I just recently started watching Criminal Minds again mostly because the Thomas Gibson BTS caught my attention and I learned Paget Brewster/Prentiss was coming back full time.

Hell, Arrow is a perfect example of a show that lost me and got me back. In S3, I quit after they killed Sara. I watched 10 episodes in S3 (anything that was heavily Felicity, OTA or Olicity promoted). In S4 I watched 16 episodes and so far I've watched all 4 episodes (3 live)

I almost always go back to shows in their announced Final Season, just because I'm curious to see how it ends. I might not watch every episode but, I'll watch, especially the series finale.

I think Big Event episodes can lure people back. Bringing back guest stars/characters, having a wedding/birth can also work to bring people back. I think the real question is to what extent can you lure them back? I think Shows can get audiences back on a temporary/casual basis but, I think that the loyalty is probably lost which leaves the shows open to ratings fluxes.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

I think Arrow had a window to gain back viewers it had lost in the latter part of season 4. The early chatter from Stephen and David about going back to basics got positive buzz in parts of the fandom because it was interpreted as a focus back on Original Team Arrow and rebuilding Olicity, which, arguably, are what made that stretch from 1x12 to 2x09 the best "season" of Arrow. If the summer marketing had promoted the masks, LL's return, etc. in ADDITION to OTA and Olicity, not instead of, I don't think they would have seen as big a drop.

I think Arrow can win back viewers. Most of my friends who'd dropped Arrow this season after rolling their eyes at the focus of the hiatus interviews asked me to tell them when "Olicity is back together and the masks are gone" so they could go back to watching. I have dropped shows and returned to them, such as Supernatural. I dropped it a few years back then caught a live episode that was interesting and began watching again, marathoning the ones I missed. 

The concern I see with returning viewers is that they might have much shorter patience with the show. Sort of a fool me once situation, so the moment they feel like their chains are being yanked again, they're out. Probably for good. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 8

I can't say I have walked away forever, but every week I almost muster the will to watch and then some interview that I hate comes out and I skip it. I did half-watch last week while catching up on work e-mail, but missed huge chunks when I got a phone call and haven't gone back and rewatched.  My big issue is that they are good at setting up seasons, with strong eps 1 - 9, only to have a complete collapse in eps 11 - 18, where it is all melodrama all the time.  I'm wary of the positive buzz, such as it is, because I know they could throw away the good plotting and goodwill in the second half of the season. 

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I think Arrow had a window to gain back viewers it had lost in the latter part of season 4. The early chatter from Stephen and David about going back to basics got positive buzz in parts of the fandom because it was interpreted as a focus back on Original Team Arrow and rebuilding Olicity, which, arguably, are what made that stretch from 1x12 to 2x09 the best "season" of Arrow. If the summer marketing had promoted the masks, LL's return, etc. in ADDITION to OTA and Olicity, not instead of, I don't think they would have seen as big a drop.

Exactly! I read all that about OTA you guys! Back to basics! What I watched, though, in the season opener, was not that, like at all. And if I hadn't been spoiled for the noobs, I definitely might have gone 'fuck all y'all' and left, never to return. As it is, my viewing doesn't matter (not in the US), and I've made sure to spoil myself this season, so if something truly unforgivable happens, I'll know not to watch.

I think Arrow can win back viewers. Most of my friends who'd dropped Arrow this season after rolling their eyes at the focus of the hiatus interviews asked me to tell them when "Olicity is back together and the masks are gone" so they could go back to watching. I have dropped shows and returned to them, such as Supernatural. I dropped it a few years back then caught a live episode that was interesting and began watching again, marathoning the ones I missed. 

The concern I see with returning viewers is that they might have much shorter patience with the show. Sort of a fool me once situation, so the moment they feel like their chains are being yanked again, they're out. Probably for good. 

I like that you're the goto 'breaking it to them gently' person, so that if what we're fearing will happen

Spoiler

and Oliver will bone some random woman just 'cause

you'll be all: "well, this happens, but it'll be ok, I promise . . . wait, come back!"

Re. the returning viewers - I see it in a different way. Basically, if all this bullshit is really walked back, and viewers return, they're more likely to put up with any chain-yanking going forward, because they'll have proof that it won't stick.

What I'm really worried about is the stubbornness of the EPs and showrunners, who see their every little addition and TWIST as wondrous and beautiful.

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I like that you're the goto 'breaking it to them gently' person

Oh, I don't know about being the "breaking it to them gently" person. That might be my friend Athena. Of all our friends, we're the only 2 left watching Arrow :(

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Oh, I don't know about being the "breaking it to them gently" person. That might be my friend Athena. Of all our friends, we're the only 2 left watching Arrow :(

Oh dear. I know only one person IRL who watches Arrow, and he isn't even caught up to Season 4b, heh. Also, I don't know if he's that invested as I am in Felicity and I don't want to find out.

I'm not up to proselytizing for the show, either, as I was in those faraway days of Season 3, I think. That was when we got nothing and were ok with it, because at least

Spoiler

Oliver wasn't boning some chick

Sure, we had Crazy Eyes, but he was soon dealt with. Now we have to pretend Felicity's condiment doesn't exist, pretend to like at least one of the noobs (sure, Ragman is . . . ok . . . I guess), pretend we're fine with Diggle's ludicrous military side-plot.

What I'm saying is, there's a reason I've been watching this video over and over, recently: Love kernels, in which we Olicity fans are all Rebecca, the EPs and MG etc are all Josh. Even the spoken word intro fits: "I’m like a sexy fashion cactus, living from compliment to compliment, hint to hint, storing them in my body through long periods of drought . . ."

It just struck me - this is us, making gifsets of every look between Oliver and Felicity, giving significance to every word they speak to each other.

So apparently, instead of flouncing off and being DONE with the SHOW, "I'll be patient, until the kernels rain down like candy on Shaquille O'Neal in the movie Kazaam." (OT I love the songs on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but because of crippling second-hand embarrassment am incapable of watching the show)

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 4

Regarding the conversation about getting back fans, jbuffyangel points that they may be trying to get new viewers using syndication in TNT the same way that they use the crossovers (attracting new live viewers -and DVD/ merchandising buyers- after watching old chapters). Making it easier with all this back to basics stuff, even copying scenes from S1. And that would be also the reason of the Fight!Fight! promotion, as TNT would be a channel more oriented to a male demo.

I found that this was an interesting theory and one of the possible reasons for this year's promotion (lack of?). That and that it is cheaper just using the same approach for all shows: watch CW, the superhero network!

• Love 2

I don't see how that makes sense. Season 5, except for in a few small superficial ways, isn't really like Season 1 at all. Plus, I'm not sure how someone watching earlier seasons on TNT would be enticed to tune in live to see re-done versions of the same scenes/moments they just watched? 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

MG clarifies age of Baby John...

Wow. I swear to gods. For all the shit I have tolerated in this show...this is pushing me very close to giving up.

Guggenheim's reply is so cold. Like yup, we just changed out the baby dolls so now we can make the new one into GA 2.0. I just...man. It's awful.

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

For anyone (anyone?) who loved last season's sleeveless GA suit...

@IconHeroes Announce Green Arrow TV Statue Paperweight
Nov. 1, 2016
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/iconheroes-announce-green-arrow-tv-statue-paperweight/

Photo-Aug-01-3-16-38-PM.jpg?w=600

I really miss Oliver's first recurve bow :(. And ewww it's the yucky costume.

• Love 3

ETA: And another thing.

So not only is erasing Baby Sara erasing a baby girl of color, it also erased Dig and Lyla's tribute to Sara Lance.  Fuck you, show. Just fuck you so much for this. I'm not even blaming Barry only because the writers didn't HAVE to make Baby Sara the casualty here. They could have given them another child. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

So really just a gender swap because Flashpoint had to happen. #FuckYouBarry

Actually the FU should really be at the writers & TPTB. Barry is a dumb selfish prick at times. But the writers had it in their power to not erase a female character just because. I can forgive Barry to some extent. However, the writers do not get an apology or forgiveness on this. There were a million other reasons to have Flashpoint negatively affect Arrow. However, it seem like the Old Boys Club mentality of the Arrow writers room of takes precedence. I'm surprised they didn't make John Jr a white boy. No seriously, I'm surprised it wasn't attempted. I'm sure it was tossed out in the writer's room by some asshat.

26 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

ETA: And another thing.

So not only is erasing Baby Sara erasing a baby girl of color, it also erased Dig and Lyla's tribute to Sara Lance.  Fuck you, show. Just fuck you so much for this. I'm not even blaming Barry only because the writers didn't HAVE to make Baby Sara the casualty here. They could have given them another child. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

It covers up their tracks on the whole we never intended for Sara to be dead. Lil Sara was a daily reminder that they killed off a successful character and were forced to bring her back. It probably hurt their pride to have the Saras around. Lil Sara was a daily reminder of their idiocy & piss poor story telling. Of course the children have to suffer because of the stupidity of their parent writers.

Lastly, if they really wanted to kill off Lil Sara. They could have simply had her die as a result of Flashpoint. Maybe somebody kidnapped her, maybe she never made it out of Hive alive, maybe she had an illness and died as a baby. It would have erased her, but at least it would have made her still exist. And it would have added another layer of tragedy to John's life. As it stands now, it still feels like a big misogynistic middle finger to the audience, especially females.

• Love 9

I'm confused because that kid in the picture with Diggle looked at least 18 months older than baby Sara. But they're supposed to be the same age? Haha. No.