Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Me too. She seems like a nice person and she really got shafted in that role.

14 hours ago, quarks said:

Well, in films, sure, directors have a lot of power - and screenwriters have more input into the pacing and the look of a film than I think they're often given credit for.  But even there, executive producers and film executives can and often do exert a lot of creative control: they're signing the checks, after all, and they have ultimate control on what goes out on screen. On television, writers and directors typically do not have the real power, and everything I've seen/heard from Arrow and interviews with cast, crew and network/WB execs suggests that Arrow is a pretty typical WB production in this regard.

I agree, it's EPs and execs who call the real shots.  I was commenting in response to a comment that the producers are talking to the actors and I don't think that means much in terms of the overall show.  Sure, Paul Blackthorne got a Lance/Donna relationship after lobbying very hard for one but in s4 it seems more of an afterthought than anything.

The Flashbacks are an example of what I meant.  I'm pretty sure they were determined by Berlanti & Co. but it was up to the writers and directors to do what they could to make them suck less (which usually didn't happen). Even with a better accent, I'm not sure ER could have done much to make Poppy a person anyone cared about, including Oliver.  (I suspect Oliver will care more about her in s5 flashbacks than he did in s4.)

(edited)
14 minutes ago, bijoux said:
Cautious optimism.

Lots of spec that it's an OTA panel. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Of course i did get a partial OTA panel at CoH2 so, i can't complain too much if it doesn't happen 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
(edited)

Aw. Haven't seen an EBR/WH pic in forever! 

As for SA's panel, I'd love it to be an OTA one but I have zero expectations for that tbh. It'll probably be with RA or whoever was in TMNT2.

Edited by Angel12d

Yeah, also not getting my hopes up it's an OTA panel. But ... Stephen when he promised to do something for the fans helping out with his MLB poll said he was going to go through his mentions and see what the most popular thing was, and next to the EW cover, an OTA panel at Nerd HQ was the most popular, IMO. In fact, there had been a trend earlier in the day. Sooooo .... *desperately crossing all available digits*

• Love 2

I like to think that he surely knows what kind of expectations he's setting up with this tease, that people will assume it's OTA because it's what they've been asking for, and that they'll buy tickets to the panel for that reason. And that they'd be supremely disappointed if it winds up being something not related to Arrow. But he has a history of doing dumb shit and there's a reason why the panel isn't being marketed with his guests' names - which could be completely well-intentioned, like genuinely wanting it to be a surprise or keeping it under wraps in case something comes up with filming or whatever. Here's hoping that whatever it is - there isn't a disappointed audience after the fact. 

• Love 13
Just now, Angel12d said:

Felicity and Friends? Because I really love that show. :P

Lol I had that thought too.

2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Maybe I shouldn't read into his phrasing considering his not-so-great grammar, but he did specify that the panel was with friends, not just a friend. 

Cody is bringing his wife. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm actually joking. 

I don't think they would give an extra slot to SA just so he can put his WWE credit on display. 

He's going to play an, I believe, recurring role, on Arrow. He's an official part of the comics-on-tv world, with the added benefit of maybe bringing in new eyeballs. I think it's entirely possible.

31 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm actually joking. 

I don't think they would give an extra slot to SA just so he can put his WWE credit on display. 

I would think that that wouldn't happen either. However, if it does, and if this is what SA meant on twitter by doing something from his mentions that would make people happy, then I will truly believe that SA has basically now completely disconnected with fan interests.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

He's going to play an, I believe, recurring role, on Arrow. He's an official part of the comics-on-tv world, with the added benefit of maybe bringing in new eyeballs. I think it's entirely possible.

NOPE

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

NOPE

Ha!

I find tv wrestling to be unbearably stupid. But, millions of people not only watch, but actually pay for pay-per-view events. So bringing him on realistically interests some viewers not otherwise interested. It doesn't matter that he's a douche or a TERRIBLE actor. It's just reality.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I would think that that wouldn't happen either. However, if it does, and if this is what SA meant on twitter by doing something from his mentions that would make people happy, then I will truly believe that SA has basically now completely disconnected with fan interests.

People here, yes. But lots of people, I believe in the millions, are totally into WWE. I don't get it, but I know it. 

Would it really be that bad? SA trading barbs with some silly wrestler and/or maybe the silly wrestler's wife? For me, no harm, no foul. SA should be hanging with DR and EBR, but from his perspective, the audience has been there, done that. The totally silly wrestler is new, and SA is all about the new.

For the record, this isn't a prediction. I just won't discount the possibility.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Isnt she just lovely

I want to know what happened with her. What triggered the switch from good natured trolling to mean spirited attention grabbing trolling. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Idk but she claimed several times that Olicity fans were imagining things and that she wasn't trolling/baiting the fans, she was actually pretty nasty about it, but I mean come on this is clearly baiting those fans.

ETA: I mean I cold be way off base but come on, she talks about women being treated fairly and then she goes after a largely female (tho ofc not all) female fanbase. This is why I consider her a hypocrite.

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 12

SDCC is not the WWE crowd. SA would have to get this approved by NerdHQ and I just have a hard time thinking they would think it's a winner. 

Flooding mentions (his and NerdHQ) with OTA wishes, his talk about doing something for the fans and a panel is added to included him and friends. Timing wise, I totally see people thinking we could get an OTA panel. I'm keeping my expectations down but it would be nice. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I want to know what happened with her. What triggered the switch from good natured trolling to mean spirited attention grabbing trolling. 

I think she actually legit hates Olicity and isn't just trolling. So her comments come off more biting and without humor because she isn't trying to rile people up by making them believe she hates Olicity, she's trying to rile people up by actively, actually hating Olicity. 

I mean, half of the fun of her glory days of trolling were people taking her seriously when she was clearly kidding. She ain't kidding about this particular subject. Maybe she feels protective of her new BFF Katie or something. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 14
13 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I would think If that that wouldn't happen either. However, if it does, and if this is what SA meant on twitter by doing something from his mentions that would make people happy, then I will truly believe that SA has basically now completely disconnected with fan interests.

WWE Is part of his twitter fanbase so maybe a Rhodes panel would appeal to them.

I feel like SA Is trying to diversify, so I wouldnt be surprised If this new panel was non-Arrow. Then agaIn OTA would bring  $$$$

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

SDCC is not the WWE crowd. SA would have to get this approved by NerdHQ and I just have a hard time thinking they would think it's a winner. 

Flooding mentions (his and NerdHQ) with OTA wishes, his talk about doing something for the fans and a panel is added to included him and friends. Timing wise, I totally see people thinking we could get an OTA panel. I'm keeping my expectations down but it would be nice. 

Jared Padalecki is doing a solo panel at Nerd HQ after he does the SPN group panel, maybe they are going to join each others' solo panels?

2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think she actually legit hates Olicity and isn't just trolling. So her comments come off more biting and without humor because she isn't trying to rile people up by making them believe she hates Olicity, she's trying to rile people up by actively hating Olicity. 

I mean, half of the fun of her glory days of trolling were people taking her seriously when she was clearly kidding. She ain't kidding about this particular subject. Maybe she feels protective of her new BFF Katie or something. 

I wouldn't even say she is sincere about KC.

I think she hates everything Arrow. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I wouldn't even say she is sincere about KC.

I think she hates everything Arrow. 

I have no idea if she is or not. If she hates everything Arrow seems to me she'd be sympathetic to a person who played a terrible version of her fave and then got killed off by those she despises. They could have both commiserated over how wrong they did Dinah/Laurel for all I know. 

11 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I feel sorry for GS that she feels like she has to bait Olicity fans just to get some attention. At this point, it's pathetic. I'm sad for her. Hopefully most Olicity fans are too busy voting in the SOTY poll to pay her any attention.

Also, I wonder if there will be a day when Olicity or its fans aren't likened to cancer or Trump or all other gross things thrown at us? It's a fictional relationship. Get a life.

I enjoy a fictional pairing on TV, and it brings me joy in a sometimes shitty world. Such monstrous behavior. Guess I'll go back to kicking kittens. I'm sorry if other Olicity fans attacked or annoyed her or whatever, but jeez, rein it in lady.

• Love 20
(edited)
18 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I enjoy a fictional pairing on TV, and it brings me joy in a sometimes shitty world. Such monstrous behavior. Guess I'll go back to kicking kittens. I'm sorry if other Olicity fans attacked or annoyed her or whatever, but jeez, rein it in lady.

Exactly. I don't excuse any fans that attacked her, there's no need for that at all and I will never understand people like that, but she's being truly awful right now and it's not the first time. I'm sick of it tbh. We take so much crap because why? Because it interrupted a comic canon couple. OH THE HORROR. Get the f*** over it. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I find  Gail Simone's comments especially hilarious since there is a "make arrow great again" movement a la Trump, which mostly consists of "get rid of Olicity".

Killing Felicity is also one of their talking points.

For someone who is supposed to have a legacy championing feminism, GS seems to enjoy disparaging the mostly female fanbase of a female character and the female character herself.

• Love 19

It's sad because she used to be someone worth reading.

3 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

People here, yes. But lots of people, I believe in the millions, are totally into WWE. I don't get it, but I know it. 

Would it really be that bad? SA trading barbs with some silly wrestler and/or maybe the silly wrestler's wife? For me, no harm, no foul. SA should be hanging with DR and EBR, but from his perspective, the audience has been there, done that. The totally silly wrestler is new, and SA is all about the new.

They may get more eyeballs for a while but they would be people who would tune in for the silliness of the costumes and the fight sequences.  So either they'll be disappointed when they figure out the show is about character development, or I'll be disappointed when the show caters to their expectations.

I can see it happening at a HVFF but does SA have the clout to get a room for a vanity project like that at SDCC?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I can see it happening at a HVFF but does SA have the clout to get a room for a vanity project like that at SDCC?

He had the clout to get the guy a recurring gig on the show.

36 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

Spoiler

All I'm seeing is Guest Star in Ep 3. Not recurring.

A spot on his show is vastly different than a panel at a SDCC event. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

There is a really good documentary called Showrunners that explains just how much clout the "name in the title" actor has on a show. If I remember rightly it's something like:

• Year 1 they work for you
  • Year 2 you work together
  • Year 3 you work for them.

Arrow is going into year 5. SA did voice some displeasure at the BMD story and got a few things changed. Then raved about it.

He might not get everything his own way, but I'm sure he got CR the audition and a recommendation. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Chaser said:
  Hide contents

All I'm seeing is Guest Star in Ep 3. Not recurring.

A spot on his show is vastly different than a panel at a SDCC event. 

I thought he got

Spoiler

the Jewish flashback character?

If he's only in one ep, that's great news. I think he's a douche. (At least his persona, no clue re his RL personality.)

I think his additional event is for NerdHQ not SDCC, so rules might be a little different. It's really what Zach Levi & co want to do. I think SA & ZL are buds or enough of buds to pull some strings. Honestly, I hope its just a good panel no matter who his friends are.