Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

The problem with cons is that people have paid for a service, and they do have a right to be upset when they don't get that service. Obviously, we can't expect everyone to be John Barrowman levels of entertaining, but turning up, being on time, being mentally present and attempting to engage with fans should be expected. If an actor isn't willing to do that, then I'd rather they not go to con at all. That goes for everyone.

Same. And @EmeraldArcher, I think your con sounds great. But the key problem with it is that in the moment, you can't enforce those "rules," practically speaking. As an event planner, I assume that your guidelines are probably exactly what most convention organizers and staff try their damnedest to achieve. But the talent aren't your hired staff, to whom you can give orders--they're your invited VIP guests and the actual draw of your event, and actors are notoriously difficult to wrangle. You can give them an itinerary and a very thorough list of expectations, but you have basically no leverage to get them to do what you want them to do--and they know that--aside from not inviting them again in the future (or in extreme cases, maybe, not paying them but I doubt most cons really want to get into that mess with rich people and their attorneys). In the moment, you are going to do your best to please and accommodate them, because that's what you do for your guests of honor to try to ensure they're happy, which theoretically will make your attendees happy. In this case, I think it sounds like the con accommodated every request made of them, and it still wasn't enough to get certain guests to hold up their end. Maybe they could have had better moderation for the panel, but honestly it sounds like the panelists were ignoring the moderator/translator anyway, so I'm not sure that would have worked.

• Love 4

What I got from @EmeraldArcher is that there should be an inobtrusive moderator who would engage only when necessary. A guest starts checking their phone during their panel? Yes, lady in blue, you have a question? So they would just be there to refocus the guest. Maybe that was the way things worked in Paris, I honestly don't know. But from what I've read (mostly here), the biggest transgression in my eyes is the behaviour during the group panel in which they apparently excluded the audience and acted clique-y. 

• Love 3

Maybe some fans went to the con thinking the actors were there because they couldn't wait to meet them and hang out together? I don't know but it's the feeling I got reading some reports. I think there are actors who enjoy meeting fans more and some who enjoy it less but at the end for everyone it's meeting complete strangers and they all do it for money. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Maybe some fans went to the con thinking the actors were there because they couldn't wait to meet them and hang out together? I don't know but it's the feeling I got reading some reports. 

Since the guests are there voluntarily and being paid - even if they are attending just for said paycheck - they probably should pretend for however long they're with fans that they're excited to meet them. They are actors after all, haha. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

Since the guests are there voluntarily and being paid - even if they are attending just for said paycheck - they probably should pretend for however long they're with fans that they're excited to meet them. They are actors after all, haha. 

Hahaha, true, but being a fan I prefer to be well aware that those people are meeting me because I paid them not for other reasons :D

Not that they shouldn't be nice because that's just being a decent human but one thing is a friend another is someone you pay to see, LOL.

• Love 3

The actors should treat Cons like a work function. They are being paid to be there to meet their fans, they should at least act like they care. As a frequent Con goer, I don't expect John Barrowman level of entertainment from all of them or for them to do whatever I want, however I do expect them to show up at a reasonable time for their panels, photo ops and autographs and be mentally present for those. I don't care if they don't do special poses, but I don't want to see them checking their phones constantly and barely be paying attention in panels. The panels are 30 min to an hour, I'm sure they can act like they care for that short time period. If you are being paid do a job, do your job. I expect that from everyone. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Hahaha, true, but being a fan I prefer to be well aware that those people are meeting me because I paid them not for other reasons :D

Not that they shouldn't be nice because that's just being a decent human but one thing is a friend another is someone you pay to see, LOL.

Isn't it worse if you are aware that they're doing it because they're being paid though? It's like I'm paying you to meet/talk/take pics with me and you still can't be bothered to gimme your attention. 

Anyway whoever it is that said never meet your idols - I'm totally on board, the illusion may definitely be better than the reality when it come sot celebs.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Isn't it worse if you are aware that they're doing it because they're being paid though? It's like I'm paying you to meet/talk/take pics with me and you still can't be bothered to gimme your attention. 

Anyway whoever it is that said never meet your idols - I'm totally on board, the illusion may definitely be better than the reality when it come sot celebs.

Well it's the truth that they are doing it for money so I don't see how not being aware of that can be helpful. I don't really care about meeting actors but if I ever went to a con I'd care about them being professional not to give me some particular attention and treat me like I wasn't a stranger, because I am one.

I got the feeling, that could be wrong by the way, that for some there was disappointment because they expected something "more".

• Love 2

So far I haven't been disappointed with my Con experiences. The actors/actresses I met have been nice and as friendly as I would expect them to be to someone they don't know. I got to talk with CL and EBR longer than most because at the time I went no one knew they were there. With Kristen Bell and Hayley Atwell it was quick because they had long lines.  That's what I expected though. It could be I just go into most things expecting less. Lol. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Carrie Ann said:

Same. And @EmeraldArcher, I think your con sounds great. But the key problem with it is that in the moment, you can't enforce those "rules," practically speaking. As an event planner, I assume that your guidelines are probably exactly what most convention organizers and staff try their damnedest to achieve. But the talent aren't your hired staff, to whom you can give orders--they're your invited VIP guests and the actual draw of your event, and actors are notoriously difficult to wrangle. You can give them an itinerary and a very thorough list of expectations, but you have basically no leverage to get them to do what you want them to do--and they know that--aside from not inviting them again in the future (or in extreme cases, maybe, not paying them but I doubt most cons really want to get into that mess with rich people and their attorneys). In the moment, you are going to do your best to please and accommodate them, because that's what you do for your guests of honor to try to ensure they're happy, which theoretically will make your attendees happy. In this case, I think it sounds like the con accommodated every request made of them, and it still wasn't enough to get certain guests to hold up their end. Maybe they could have had better moderation for the panel, but honestly it sounds like the panelists were ignoring the moderator/translator anyway, so I'm not sure that would have worked.

They should write a liquidated damages clause in the contract. Every minute you're late to event A, $1000. They can't really get to attitude with that, but they could get to a lot of other issues.

This is why, when I lived in LA, I never tried to talk to any celebrity I saw. I was like 10 feet away from Sarah Michelle Gellar (with her very handsome and tall husband), who played my all-time favorite fictional character, and I barely even looked at her. I didn't want to be disappointed. I got an autograph from James Marsters after his band played, and I moved away from him so fast you'd think I hated him, but I basically just didn't want him to ruin Spike for me.

• Love 3

I think there is also just worsening level of etiquette when it comes to human/human interaction since the improvement and readily availability of smartphones. People now find it acceptable to check in with social media during stuff that before would never happen. Years ago you would never accept a casual phone call or pull out a magazine in the middle of a function. But over the past week I have seen people update/check social media during church, graduation, intimate family birthday dinner, while talking with a patient and at a concert. In fact, last night during the concert I went to, more people were checking their phones during lulls & breaks then talking to each other. It's kind of a sad commentary on current day human interaction. 

I don't know how to fix other bad behavior at cons. But I think the only way to stop stars from taking selfies and checking their phones during panels is to not allow them to have them during panels. Because it's just part of human habit now to check phones whenever they want to.

As for the fan/star interaction, having never gone to a con but having read about them, it seems like fans need to calibrate their expectations because not all people are comfortable hanging out with complete strangers in an uncontrolled environment. Fans may feel they know these stars but at the end of the day they are all strangers. So although the fans may be looking to hang out, but these stars are not necessarily seeing it as hanging out, for them its a work commitment. I totally expect stars to professional and courteous in panels & photos. But I can understand how a more unstructured party may be something more shy or socially anxious stars might avoid, although they should give proper notice if they are going to bail.

• Love 8
(edited)

Maybe EBR should just be like Grant Gustin and not attend any comic cons. 

CORRECTION: Apparently, it's not that GG doesn't do cons, it's that he's just been too busy with The Flash (and when did attending comic cons become an obligatory part of an actor's job?).

Grant Gustin responds to accusations that he won't "do cons"
Dany Roth  Thu, Feb 18, 2016 2:53pm
http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-18/grant-gustin-responds-accusations-he-wont-do-cons

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

CORRECTION: Apparently, it's not that GG doesn't do cons, it's that he's just been too busy with The Flash (and when did attending comic cons become an obligatory part of an actor's job?).

http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-18/grant-gustin-responds-accusations-he-wont-do-cons

I also had the impression that Grant didn't do cons.   Much like Emily.   But I don't think I got this opinion out of nowhere.   I'm pretty sure Stephen or Emily have mentioned that Grant didn't do conventions other than the obligatory SDCC because he gets nervous in big crowds. 

(edited)

This pantomime will run from Dec. 19, 2016 to Jan. 29, 2017, so I wonder what this means (if anything) for JB's role on Arrow next season...

Edited by tv echo

Probably not much, they're on break for a good portion of that run.  Plus JB isn't in every single episode and when he does appear his screentime is usually limited.

I'm still hoping he's recurring in S5 with 8-10 episodes max. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

steve_reverse.gif

Even though it is TOTES up to GG if he wants to do cons or not, but the whole "not enough time"....he has just about as much time as everyone else does, especially during hiatus. Just say that you aren't interested, it's fine.

2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Even though it is TOTES up to GG if he wants to do cons or not, but the whole "not enough time"....he has just about as much time as everyone else does, especially during hiatus. Just say that you aren't interested, it's fine.

While I do agree with you that it's up to Grant whether or not to do cons, I disagree with you about assuming he's just not interested... What is a lot of time for some people is very little for others... Like, for me, spending more than an 1.5 hours at the gym is exhausting and it tires me out whereas for other people that's a walk in the park.. 

And I think it's unfair to say he has about much time as anyone else does. That's simply not true. He has as much time as SA does in terms of how much/long he films for, but there's absolutely no way he puts in the same amount of hours as his other cast members, not even Emily who has had the 2nd most screentime in Arrow.

In the end I think SA/GG are completely different people and it's unfair to compare them both.

When the show is on hiatus, he has the same amount maybe minus a week or so when compared to everyone else. If he wanted to a do 1 or 2 non-work cons he certainly could but no one is really comparing him to SA, that would just open up even more things (family, stunt training, etc)

Honestly I don't understand how SA and JB for example can do so many cons, especially while they film. I'm exhausted just at the thought, LOL. Also I'd probably want to spend some time with my family that I can't see during the week.

During the hiatus they have free time but most of them try to do some new projects and it's also important to relax a little to be back on set in top shape both physically and mentally. And that's more important than doing cons.

Everyone is different and if GG says he doesn't feel he has enough free time to do cons I believe him. It's not that there's no time technically speaking, but it's matter of priorities that from his POV makes him feel there isn't enough time.

• Love 6

What missed oppurtunity for a conversation with Laurel does one of the interviewers mention? I didn't catch that part.

SA should steal her answer about Oliver in Ivy Town, it's really good. It reminded me of someone saying how even 401 happy go lucky Oliver ran with purpose. Her bringing up the massive consequences in case they stayed in Ivy Town. Namely, the world would have gone boom.

51 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

onestly I don't understand how SA and JB for example can do so many cons, especially while they film. I'm exhausted just at the thought, LOL. Also I'd probably want to spend some time with my family that I can't see during the week.

JB started in theatre and had done cons since he was on Doctor Who, has a concert tour pretty often and does Panto in the UK over the holidays. I really do think he would literally die if he didn't have that connection with fans and a live audience. 

I'm amazed at how many cons the Supernatural folks do every year. I think they did do like 15 to 20 a year in the US, including Comic Con and a couple in the UK and Italy. Apparently they are quite generous and kind to the fans with photo ops and autos. I don't know how they do it.

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

What missed oppurtunity for a conversation with Laurel does one of the interviewers mention? I didn't catch that part.

SA should steal her answer about Oliver in Ivy Town, it's really good. It reminded me of someone saying how even 401 happy go lucky Oliver ran with purpose. Her bringing up the massive consequences in case they stayed in Ivy Town. Namely, the world would have gone boom.

The missed opportunity would have been Felicity and Laurel discussing their parents dating.

• Love 1

I adore that Emily confirms 1) everyone involved in production assumed Felicity was moving out of the loft and 2) that she was pissed a few episodes later when it's revealed that she was still living there and it was only logistics that made the writers go that way.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm amazed at how many cons the Supernatural folks do every year. I think they did do like 15 to 20 a year in the US, including Comic Con and a couple in the UK and Italy. Apparently they are quite generous and kind to the fans with photo ops and autos. I don't know how they do it.

Supernatural cons look like so much fun. Mind you, not only is it Jensen/Jared/Misha who do the cons, but a lot of the past actors who may not have been on the show for a few seasons. For example, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plays Dean and Sam's dad, hasn't appeared on the show since season 2! And he's still attended a couple of cons here and there and talked about the show. They all seem rather invested in the fans, which is totally nice, but I also know it's a very rare thing. 

I don't blame any actor for not wanting to attend cons, just like most of you guys. As much as I'd pay a ton of money to go to a con with Grant Gustin (he's probably my favourite actor of the bunch), I also am aware that he has his reasons for not going. Much like EBR or CH (CH has been to a few cons, even though he has spoken out about his anxiety so I seriously applaud him), I can sympathize with them not wanting to deal with so many people in such a stressful situation. But it does make their appearances all that more special. 

• Love 3
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

Supernatural cons look like so much fun. Mind you, not only is it Jensen/Jared/Misha who do the cons, but a lot of the past actors who may not have been on the show for a few seasons. For example, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plays Dean and Sam's dad, hasn't appeared on the show since season 2! And he's still attended a couple of cons here and there and talked about the show. They all seem rather invested in the fans, which is totally nice, but I also know it's a very rare thing. 

I almost went to one in Pasadena last year and then looked at the cost and said "NOPE!" LOL

I think one thing that makes a big difference for the SPN cons is they have a band that's fronted by Rob Benedict who can actually sing, as can Dick Speight, and Jensen too. So they have good music, and it's a big ole party mostly I think LOL. JDM did his first con at  VegasCon last year and he was like why didn't I do this before! LOL. He seemed to think that since John Winchester is generally...not loved by fans that they wouldn't love to see JDM. He was warmly welcomed read: fans went crazy when he was announced. LOL

I don't know how it would be to do the big cons with so many different actors from different shows. That probably makes it different for them. They seem...like not as much fun to me. But that's just me outside looking in. Like I want to go to Comic Con being I live in San Diego but sheesh it's also really intimidating.

2 hours ago, bijoux said:

Now that we have LoT in the mix, I would love to have a crossover where we could see what would have happened if OQ/FS had never come back or if OQ had never gone on the boat. Because the balance of life is so precarious that the only guarantee is that if OQ/FS had stayed in Ivy town is things would be different - but better or worse is unknown. Perhaps if they had stayed in Ivy Town, Argus would have found out more about Rubicon and Havenrock might have never happened. If they had stayed in Ivy Town, perhaps she could have been pulled in earlier by Lyla and designed a way to stop all the nukes. Maybe OQ could have marathoned more Harry Potter and found the secret to defeating evil magic :) Perhaps it was them returning to SC that set in motion worse things to happen.

IDK, I find it an interesting philosophical process to wonder what would have happened if you change one thing. People think it will turn out one way, when truly nobody has any clue how things would have been different if you had made different choices. Staying Ivy Town still could have set whole other things in motion that made things better. Or like you said, the whole world could have gone boom. The cool thing is that really we have no idea what could have happened. Life is made up of choices and decisions.

• Love 2

I was thinking of going to HVFF in San Jose, but I don't know. I used to love Comic Con, but then it got crazy big super fast and passes became difficult to get and you have to stand in line all day, and I am too old for that. WonderCon in Anaheim is like a way smaller Comic Con and more my speed, but I was out of town for it this year. 

I will say, the Cons I have gone to, it's been more about fellow fans for me. I never know what to say to celebs even though I quasi work with them so I feel super awkward with that aspect (even though that's why I'm usually going,) but I've met such wonderful fans at cons. People who get me. Kinda like this board. :D

• Love 5

HVFF SJ was pretty small for a con, I think. I went to WonderCon a long time ago, and I'd say HVFF is maybe 1/3 that size. I'm going to go because it's the closest con to where I live and I didn't get a DR photo op/hug last year. 

13 hours ago, bijoux said:

What I got from @EmeraldArcher is that there should be an inobtrusive moderator who would engage only when necessary. A guest starts checking their phone during their panel? Yes, lady in blue, you have a question? So they would just be there to refocus the guest. Maybe that was the way things worked in Paris, I honestly don't know. But from what I've read (mostly here), the biggest transgression in my eyes is the behaviour during the group panel in which they apparently excluded the audience and acted clique-y. 

I can't help wondering if language might have made the panels more of a problem since what is described sounded an awful lot like what often happens in the group panels with the actors going off together on their own tangents.  That the translator wasn't sure if she should be translating the back and forth between EBR and Willa is a problem all by itself and instead of the audience being entertained by a glimpse into the real person, they are left confused and excluded.

It would have been impossibly hard probably to translate that kind of quick back and forth which is why there probably should have been a moderator keeping it more straight forward but that kind of short cut in joke thing is what happens during panels with friends.  I know I've heard people saying when SA and DR are together they go on their weird tangents too so yeah, I do suspect the additional language barrier didn't help.

The thing with sitting during the photo op, I can't fault any of them for that.  The party sounds like it very easily could have been a miscommunication about expectations. 

For the group mix and mingle chat thing where EBR left to use the bathroom, honestly, ten minutes does NOT sound very long to me.  It's a shame that she didn't stick around when she returned but there again is where I would have expected the Con handlers to step in and at the very least directed EBR to someone waiting to chat with her when she returned.  Otherwise it's asking an awful lot of someone with some social issues to point herself at a crowd and figure out where to go or who to talk to. 

I'm not what you would call someone with social anxiety since I can flip a switch and just not care about appearances (makes bathing suit season much easier to handle) but to do so is exhausting so often it's getting myself to take that first step to interact that is the hardest.  I can see myself in those circumstances to be very unsure and nervous and then just go with the flow when my group was leaving.  I might regret it later but with something that unstructured, yeah, it would be very easy in the moment to convince myself that it was fine. 

I can play the part of an extrovert and even enjoy it in the moment, but I couldn't cope with hanging even with my best friends for too long without needing time alone to unwind afterwards.  If I'd been in EBR's circumstance, by the end of the Con I would have barely been holding on and unless there was structure to make it more of a work feel thing, I would have bolted at first chance.   - Even if later I regretted doing so.   

7 hours ago, tv echo said:

Bamford is back at work..

Hint perhaps about the big bad?

• Love 3

Do you think the writers read each other's scripts in the back half of the season? 

Late to this, but yes, they do. The problem is that they may only have the chance/opportunity to read the first and second drafts, not necessarily the shooting script, and may not be aware of script changes made during filming. 

7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

When the show is on hiatus, he has the same amount maybe minus a week or so when compared to everyone else. If he wanted to a do 1 or 2 non-work cons he certainly could but no one is really comparing him to SA, that would just open up even more things (family, stunt training, etc)

Do we know that for sure, though? I think we can say that he's not exactly trying to clear his schedule for cons, but that doesn't mean that he's not genuinely busy.  A number of television actors use a hiatus to get additional training (vocal training, stunt training) or pick up additional vocal or stage work, or teach acting classes or do charity work. I don't think we know that he really has less to do than, say, David Ramsey.  For all I know Gustin's contracted to do various audio books, or has been told that in upcoming seasons of Flash he'll need to be able to speak some Spanish or use a British accent. 

It's also possible that he's just resting up for what's going to be a pretty hellish, intense 14 hour work days for 8 straight days, minimum, when the crossovers are filmed, given that he's almost certainly going to be in at least three and probably all four of the shows, and feels that he needs the downtime.

• Love 3

This is neither here nor there, but is it just me, or does Fanta kinda have a "so over this/so better than you" expression in most photos? Can't decide whether it's intentional or she has some weird type of BRF.

• Love 1

JB now has more comic cons scheduled in 2016 than any other Arrow actor (the following is based on info that I have to date, but we won't know for sure until 2016 ends)*...

John Barrowman - 15 
Katie Cassidy - 13 
Katrina Law - 10 
David Ramsey - 9
Stephen Amell - 8 
Willa Holland - 7
Paul Blackthorne - 6
Charlotte Ross - 4
Colton Haynes - 3
Emily Bett Rickards - 2 
Echo Kellum - 2
Neal McDonough - 2

(* I did not include past or recurring Arrow actors like Colin Donnell, Manu Bennett, Alex Kingston, Summer Glau, Matt Ryan, Michael Rowe, Amy Gumenick or Bex Taylor-Klaus because I don't keep track of their comic con appearances, except when they attend the same comic cons as the above actors.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bijoux said:
Would someone please give this woman a hot oil treatment?

I think her hair is naturally wavy/curly meaning it is susceptible to humidity related frizz. Mine is the same and at this time of year it doesn't matter how much effort/time I spend on it (or how much moisture/conditioning it gets) my hair typically looks like a frizzled, dried out mess. Most days I leave my house looking put together and by the time I get to work my hair looks like wavy pine straw.

Anyway, she has my sympathies.

• Love 11

I think her hair is naturally wavy/curly meaning it is susceptible to humidity related frizz. Mine is the same and at this time of year it doesn't matter how much effort/time I spend on it (or how much moisture/conditioning it gets) my hair typically looks like a frizzled, dried out mess. Most days I leave my house looking put together and by the time I get to work my hair looks like wavy pine straw.

Same. Heavy sigh.

• Love 5

@GirlvsTV and @Velocity23, I feel for you, and I'm on the other end of the hair spectrum.  Mine is naturally straight without any texture or body or anything, and during this time of year, I only have to run my fingers through it a few times before it starts to look oily and gross. Summer hair is not my favorite. Ugh.  

• Love 4

You know there's a drought on spoilers when the conversation veers to hair :) - to be clear, not at all a criticism or a veiled way to put an end to it, just a fond remark on our habits :)

Is anyone keeping tabs on Axis? How's that going?

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Mine is naturally wavy/curly as well but I think in her case they look like that also because she had to bleach them to add the pink and now she dyed it back to blonde again. Last year her hair didn't look like that.

According to this fan who met EBR at SHC2, she said that the dye was temporary so I doubt she bleached her hair for temporary color

http://lakadyn.tumblr.com/post/145970206139/after-my-rant-thanks-to-everyone-who-wrote-me

2 hours ago, looptab said:

This is neither here nor there, but is it just me, or does Fanta kinda have a "so over this/so better than you" expression in most photos? Can't decide whether it's intentional or she has some weird type of BRF.

I just take it as her not being comfortable posing for photos. When people aren't comfortable, they tend to freeze and end up looking odd. Yours truly included.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

According to this fan who met EBR at SHC2, she said that the dye was temporary so I doubt she bleached her hair for temporary color

http://lakadyn.tumblr.com/post/145970206139/after-my-rant-thanks-to-everyone-who-wrote-me

Eh,  even with it being temporary when you dye hair pink or lavender you'll still need to go a few shades lighter just to get the colour go show up,  especially if your natural colour is anything darker than light blonde.

But then again,  she always has her hair blonde without it looking fried so I'm going to assume it's just the length plus humidity. 

2 hours ago, GirlvsTV said:

2 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Same. Heavy sigh.

I have found that the best remedy for this type of hair is to Not wash it every day and simply let the natural oils do their job.

when I do wash my hair (once a week sometimes even two) I try to avoid non natural shampoos or avoid it at all and just wash it with water (I may on occasions use a bit of conditioner).