Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

and I have never heard of any shipping wars in regards to Oliver and Chloe, so I can only assume it must not have been a major thing as it is on Arrow.

There were two 'shipping wars in the latter seasons when Chloe/Ollie were a thing. Chloe/Ollie vs. Chloe/Clark, and Chloe/Ollie vs. Tess/Ollie. Smaller scale than anything Arrow, since social media engagement grew about 100 times since then, but they happened. And were nasty. Just like every 'shipping war in history of the internets.

But Smallville's Oliver was not the main character of the show, so while it is a divergence it's not as a big of a deal...

That's a much more sophisticated argument. The usual argument is simply "Oliver has to be with Laurel, becuz Smallville."

Smallville also didn't have BC around for more then like 4 total episodes.

So? That was their choice. If they'd thought Oliver HAD TO be with BC, they could have just...brought BC in as a regular character. Obviously they didn't care enough to do that.

• Love 2
Anyway back to SA's book ~ I really don't feel the need for SA to write a non-fiction book yet. No offense but it seems like just another part of his ever growing ego and need to fuel it. I really do not see what is uniquely specially or even universally appealing about his life story. I guess he could write his opinions & deep thoughts down, but not sure why I would buy that book or even borrow it from the library. I mean maybe when he is old & grey or has discovered some great life philosophy through life experience. But he's just a well paid actor & Maverick's Dad, to me that is not worth a whole book. It just feels like a Vanity Project, that being said I can totally see why he wants to do it and why some stupid publishing house is willing to pay him for it. On the other hand, I do think SA has some pretty cool story ideas from how he talks about certain characters, relationships & TV shows that he has the potential to write a semi-decent fiction book. It would be interesting to see what he would do with a fiction book, it he had time to actually write one.

Andy Warhol said that everyone would have their 15 minutes of fame but I think he was wrong -- some have 15 minutes but others are just famous for being famous and have what seems like 15 years of it.  (I still don't understand why the Kardashians are any more worth watching than the people who live on my street.)  A publishing house offered him money and sycophanted him by offering to publish a book he wrote -- it would take a lot more maturity than most 31 year olds have to turn that donw.

Going by the Code-8 trailer, I don't think he has it in him to write a decent non-fiction book (unlike William Shatner who wrote the Tek War series).  At least not at this time.

There were two 'shipping wars in the latter seasons when Chloe/Ollie were a thing. Chloe/Ollie vs. Chloe/Clark, and Chloe/Ollie vs. Tess/Ollie. Smaller scale than anything Arrow, since social media engagement grew about 100 times since then, but they happened. And were nasty. Just like every 'shipping war in history of the internets.

The thing is, there's always going to be shippers wars or shippers vs non shippers, it's just the nature of fandom. No matter the show. Look at SPN, you have Dean Girls, vs Sam Girls, Destiel vs Wincesters, Team 2 Bros Only vs Crowley/Castiel/Destiel fans, etc.

People watch shows for various reasons and, it always seems to start well but in the end it devolves into a versus scenario. Even OTA (which I love) has become a versus for many fans.

• Love 4

Yeah. Arrow fandom has some interesting stuff happening because of certain circumstances [romance ending up generating more content than action/comic book stuff, the bizarreness of Laurel/KC, the gender divide, the extreme availability of showrunners/writers/cast, etc], but pretty much none of it is unique.

• Love 7
(edited)

Yeah. Arrow fandom has some interesting stuff happening because of certain circumstances [romance ending up generating more content than action/comic book stuff, the bizarreness of Laurel/KC, the gender divide, the extreme availability of showrunners/writers/cast, etc], but pretty much none of it is unique.

I think the only unique thing is in the show itself, in that they aren't doing any sort of love triangles with the main character (not anymore, that is). And with the way Olicity has been portrayed on the show, it wouldn't make any sense to.

Edited by ArrowFan
  • Love 4

The comic book character was a serial cheater, wasn't he?  They could do that, but I'm glad they're not going to. I hope.

They really shouldn't. It doesn't make sense with the character they've been cultivating the past 3.5 seasons. I really find it funny that they are making the Arrow a one-woman man when the comics are so different about it.

(edited)

Yes, he asked them to make Oliver a one woman man in s3 because the feedback on womanizing Oliver was so bad.  But he's not an EP and doesn't have any real power over the show.

eta:  SA said that if Oliver kept up with "the caravan of women", it would kill the story they were building with Felicity..

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

Well, I kinda see why he did that because they were building his love for Felicity at the same time and IDK, I think if he just kept sleeping with anything with a vagina it would kind of undercut what they were trying to sell. LOL.

That's a much more sophisticated argument. The usual argument is simply "Oliver has to be with Laurel, becuz Smallville."

So? That was their choice. If they'd thought Oliver HAD TO be with BC, they could have just...brought BC in as a regular character. Obviously they didn't care enough to do that.

Of course they could have but it is different when you have the character around from day 1 and a full time cast member instead of a 4 episode guest star instead of bringing her in full time and Arrowing her. 

Yes, he asked them to make Oliver a one woman man in s3 because the feedback on womanizing Oliver was so bad.  But he's not an EP and doesn't have any real power over the show.

eta:  SA said that if Oliver kept up with "the caravan of women", it would kill the story they were building with Felicity..

He might as well be. He reads through the scripts and gives them notes which they listen to. 

It's nice to see them having fun.

He might as well be. He reads through the scripts and gives them notes which they listen to. 

SA can make suggestions but it's up to the EPs whether they carry them through or not.  Unless he's attending the writers' retreats and planning the season, he's got less power than one of the writers.

• Love 1
(edited)

For starters, I find amusing that Beth is the only one willing to do something - even if she doesn't know what or how she should do it - or at least the one that has acknowledged the problem. I believe the official pr has been told about this issues?

Second, I don't see how this kind of reaction can be productive in any way - what do you resolve by "outing" the trash shippers? What's the harm in what they do? It's not like they were tagging Stephen or Emily or his wife in their convos. Just another move to give fandom a bad name.

I've never been involved in a fandom before - I don't even know if I really am now, since I engage just here and occasionally lurk on twitter. But this stuff is...I don't even know, haha. Worrisome, I guess?

I do get my feet wet engaging in a small venue with the opposition, a left over habit from my Smallivlle days, but even there a level of control and civility remains.  Unless there is moderating (even if it's just posters moderating themselves) things go really negative in an extreme way and the moderate voices leave.  Those are dark corners I don't venture.  It's just IMO pointless.  Facebook isn't supposed to be one of those dark corners but antidotal evidence implies the extreme comments are once again driving the moderate voices away, leaving nothing but warfare on both sides.  

Did we win, though? I'm forever bitter that we only got two measly kisses in 7 seasons (I stopped watching when DD left the show) and one was technically AU. MSR taught me to have a YOLO attitude about 'shipping. Endgame doesn't matter as much to me as getting to see the characters actually be in a relationship onscreen.

I think you won.  I wasn't online so I won't count myself among that battle but for me, what made the show was the relationship, no matter whether or not the payoff was completely satisfying in the actual show.  One thing that Smallville taught me is there comes a point were is stops mattering what happens on screen. It's all fiction and I know with Smalliville I left the show feeling as much right to dictate where the characters ended up on their journeys as the show runners.  It's all fiction.  I'd go as far to say that it was the fans that in the end stayed more true to the characters and the history of the show.  That freed me from feeling like my experience was completely in the hands of the show.  Which was rather freeing. 

Except there were fits thrown over Oliver/Chloe in Smallville fandom. There were endless cries of Chloe has to die so Oliver can end up with Dinah...because comics. There were tons of comic fanboys who hated Chloe because Clark was the big damn hero and the show/teenage female fans were too obsessed with the sidekick making her way more important than necessary (especially in S8).

Honestly i don't see much difference between Chlollie/Olicity and Chloe/Felicity as far as fandom goes. The same arguments are/were used for both. Only difference I see is that it's louder in Arrow because were not talking about a secondary pairing, we're talking about the main hero going against comics.

In fact, way back in the summer post S1 most of the anti-Olicity arguments were that Felicity was just like Chloe she can't end of with Oliver (on Arrow) just like she couldn't be paired with Clark on Smallville. Becuase comics demands that Clark be with Lois and Oliver be with Laurel. Chloe/Felicity as the geeky blonde sidekick could only be paired with a secondary heroe

I've said it before.  Arrow is my Smallville redo.  My vindication that what I expected from the show based on what seemed to have mapped out was a rational expectation that should not have had to bow to the pressure of "because comics".  I've been extraordinarily proud of Arrow for sticking to the story it wants to tell.  If it so happens to be the one I want told, even better. 

I can honestly say that I've never 'shipped TV show family members.  Yuck.

Lois versus Chloe.  Just in case there is an actual need for clarity.  Technically at it's core it was a fight between Lois vs Lois, it's just a matter of opinion as to which character was the Lois in the show (Lois was the named character but Chloe for many like myself with or without the name was always going to be the preferred choice for best reporter and gal pal to Clark Kent)   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

There has never been more social media presence by Emily than now. It has to mean something.

Ignoring the deeper meaning, I disagree with the surface comment, EBR has done this before with Colton.  Basically, EBR will not initiate Social Media on her own but can be dragged into to via others.  Echo reminds me of Colton in both his online presence and his influence over EBR regarding Social Media. 

• Love 15
(edited)
ArrowWritersRoom ‏@ARROWwriters

Just received this AWESOME #Arrow Season Two trading card binder from @Cryptozoic!

CfPKVsZUMAAJF2N.jpg

4:58 PM - 4 Apr 2016

https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/717139249133301762

ArrowWritersRoom ‏@ARROWwriters

Here's the first one! (Fun fact - the text was written by @NolanDunbar  & @rebeccabellotto!) #ArrowTradingCards

CfPKstGUsAAo2T1.jpg

4:59 PM - 4 Apr 2016

https://twitter.com/ARROWwriters/status/717139635206377472

Edited by tv echo
quarks, that's yet another good point regarding the writers/EPs caving to audience pressure--the time factor. A LOT of what goes on in these episodes happen well before the audience has a chance to respond. Based on what we've heard from multiple official sources, the show already had plans for Felicity before the audience even saw the first episode so I really don't find it ridiculous to believe that pairing her with Oliver was in their minds long before the viewers started shipping them. As you said, they may not have established that she would be Oliver's great love, but I do think they entertained the possibility that they could have something worthwhile, saw how well SA and EBR were playing off each other, wrote to that, and then continued to do so once the audience responded so positively. Regardless, none of that could have happened had they not gotten the ball rolling well before the viewers did.
  • Love 12
(edited)

Ignoring the deeper meaning, I disagree with the surface comment, EBR has done this before with Colton. Basically, EBR will not initiate Social Media on her own but can be dragged into to via others. Echo reminds me of Colton in both his online presence and his influence over EBR regarding Social Media.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant her doing her own. I didn't mean the ones with Echo. More like the stuff she's doing for Represent and like videos and more tweets and photos on Instagram. Edited by EmilyBettFan
(edited)

Just gonna leave this here, because I know some fans who blame a particular character on Arrow are going to be exactly like this tonight on, during, and after the damn show (:43 mark):

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 3

Oh dear, it's very late (and very early) and my brain is going to weird places. I read gratuitous butt shot and legit thought he was offering for someone to drink out of a shot glass he'd stick between his sweet cheeks.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh dear, it's very late (and very early) and my brain is going to weird places. I read gratuitous butt shot and legit thought he was offering for someone to drink out of a shot glass he'd stick between his sweet cheeks.

That actually, umm... sounds kind of sexy.

I'll see myself out.

She's liking tweets with that stupid hashtag. Really now? How does that even make sense? This show was never about LL or BC.

For real?

Oh KC, why are you trying to kill your career? I don't get it.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2
(edited)

KC probably thinks it's sweet. Her fans are trying to be proactive though some of them might be going about it wrong. I think it's sweet-on the surface anyway. I hope KC's just acknowledging the hashtag and not liking some of the nasty stuff. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

Oh KC, why are you trying to kill your career? I don't get it.

I honestly don't think liking some tweets is career killing tbh I sort of wish she'd understand the reasoning behind the tag... Alas, I doubt she looked at most of the tweets using that hashtag (which is filled w/ vitriol). 

• Love 1