Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Is anyone going to HVFF in Chicago next weekend?

Not me...I would ask so many questions about them portraying BM as the Virgin Mary when she's actually a lying hag, and WTF is up with valuing her over Felicity, and WTF with Oliver being as dumb as a decorative doorknob, and what is up with Spawn being maybe even dumber, and also WTF is up with Oliver's obsession with blood and did they do that on purpose, bc it's really super creepy and please knock it off...

Anyway, I'd probably get kicked out.

• Love 12

Okay but can you please go and ask all of this?? Because someone needs to call out SA to his face about how terrible this storyline is and how can Oliver actually say he loves Felicity and wants to be with her "for better for worse" when he was faced with "the worse" HE DIDN'T TELL HER. And when she was faced with "the worse" he didn't visit her in the hospital and then also had no idea that the dad who abandoned her when she was a kid was not only back, but was also the dude who attempted to destroy the city the previous night. 

So what you're saying is kicked out AND arrested?

• Love 8
(edited)

Why would SA need to be called out?

He may have been excited about the 'Oliver is a father' storyline but he didn't write the episodes.

ETA: I do want to know SA's thoughts on how the storyline progressed, I'm not a fan of blaming the actors for the writings or the plot points. Realistically, their input is probably limited. It reminds me of how some reporters treated EBR at Comic Con.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 13
(edited)

I'm going, but only for Caity, Katrina and Bex. And I'll probably just check out KC's panel (if she shows up) just to see how she acts. I don't watch Arrow anymore, so I don't really care what stupid thing is happening on that show now. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
(edited)

Why would SA need to be called out?

He may have been excited about the 'Oliver is a father' storyline but he didn't write the episodes.

Called out was a poor choice of words. But he was in support of this storyline, and called it his favourite of the series. It also has a lot to do with his acting choices. The boob cuddle and the break up scene could have come across a lot differently, but the choices he made gave me to sympathy for his character. If he had looked guilty instead of relieved in the 4x08 scene and a bit more heartbroken (and less inconvenienced) in 4x15 I may feel differently about this storyline. Not a lot, but a bit. 

Edit: I think SA has said numerous times that he does have input on the storyline (he gets the scripts early and goes through them to make changes). He was the one who fought to change the 4x08 scene and compromised with MG about what was said. While he may not have as much say a show runner, he does have some pull about the direction of the show/character I think. More than the other actors. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 5
(edited)

Called out was a poor choice of words. But he was in support of this storyline, and called it his favourite of the series. It also has a lot to do with his acting choices. The boob cuddle and the break up scene could have come across a lot differently, but the choices he made gave me to sympathy for his character. If he had looked guilty instead of relieved in the 4x08 scene and a bit more heartbroken (and less inconvenienced) in 4x15 I may feel differently about this storyline. Not a lot, but a bit. 

Overall I found the whole thing his worst acting since S1. I hate the boob-cuddling with such a deep passion that I can't stand seeing it retweeted...I think it's really unworthy of what we thought was Oliver's character. And I had a whole convo on twitter that during the breakup scene he looked mildly inconvenienced that his pizza delivery was late...but not sufficiently inconvenienced not to dial up the same pizza place in the future. I thought it was fairly terrible. Contrast that with his facial expressions after Roy left, and I was left thinking he's way more in love with Roy than with Felicity.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 10

@AyChihuaha, I thought you weren't watching. When did you start again?

Wondering if there is gonna be a Lance family panel.

With Charlotte Ross included as honorary Lance?
(edited)

OK, now I'm curious. What's the "boob-cuddling scene"?

After they finish whatever it was that happened in Central City (and Barry turned back time and Oliver decided to hide the truth about his son from Felicity), this scene happened:

(Wow. After rewatching it again, and knowing what happens, I think I hate the scene and Oliver even more)

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 4
(edited)

@AyChihuaha, I thought you weren't watching. When did you start again?

GIFs, baby, GIFs. Haven't watched any eps or parts of eps outside of GIFs since 4.7. I plan to start back up, though, since most of my rage triggers are over, and I'm sooooo looking forward to Oliver being supersad for an ep or two (and then hopefully getting his shit together and fighting/changing for her).

HighHopes, WHAT HAVE I EVER DONE TO YOU!!!

Also, as an aside, part of the reason I so loathe the boob-cuddling scene is that it's a total parallel to the scene when Oliver goes to Laurel for comfort after finding out about the kid back in S2. It's a very similar scene, caused by BM and Spawn in both cases. It's calling out a parallel bw O/F and O/L and I EFFING HATE IT.

Btw, how weird is it for everyone that I am now the relatively optimistic (or at least somewhat less pessimistic) and cheerful person on this board? Thank GOD for the breakup!

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 6

Just because an actor has some pull doesn't mean that they can dictate what can and can't happen on the show. Regardless of how hard SA fought, this storyline was always going to happen. So going after SA won't do anything at all

As for scenes like the boob cuddle, every actor makes odd choices, even EBR who's made a lot of odd acting choices over the years. I get being angry at the storyline, but direct that to MG, not the actor who's just trying to do their best. 

That being said, there was literally an interview with TVGuide before episode 15 aired where he said this that if you take away the fact that this storyline has caused some angst in the fandom and set aside the that people think that keeping a secret is Oliver regressing (which he never refutes), SA liked this storyline because Oliver being a father is new and different. I think SA genuinely liked playing Oliver as a father and a lot of that came out in that scene where he was saying goodbye to William. 

So saying SA likes this storyline including the lying, is a bit of a stretch. The fact that SA had to argue with MG to not make Oliver lie completely shows just how much he was against the lying bit, but again, SA doesn't have that much power and this storyline was going to happen regardless. 

• Love 14
(edited)

Instead of asking about the lies, I'd much rather someone ask if Oliver's just going to sit back or if he's going to fight for Felicity this time. Because that's a much more interesting question than something that's over and done with. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 18

It would have made so much more sense to me that he loved the father crap if he'd had more than one two-minute scene with the spawn. My guess is that originally he was going to have more scenes with him, and he was excited about that, but that plan changed bc of the, shall we say, negative reaction to the storyline. At that point if he quit saying he loved it after being so publicly excited, that removal of praise would be taken as a negative, and he's a good little soldier...plus he's pretty stubborn.

Instead of asking about the lies, I'd much rather someone ask if Oliver's just going to sit back or if he's going to fight for Felicity this time. Because that's a much more interesting question than something that's over and done with. 

Those who do not understand the past are doomed to repeat it.

• Love 1

Those who do not understand the past are doomed to repeat it.

I mean... It's not like I'm hoping, I'm resigned to believe that Oliver/Felicity will only grow closer because of the death and not because of Oliver's doing... I just think that asking about future events of the show is 10000x more interesting than asking about past events. 

• Love 4

I mean... It's not like I'm hoping, I'm resigned to believe that Oliver/Felicity will only grow closer because of the death and not because of Oliver's doing... I just think that asking about future events of the show is 10000x more interesting than asking about past events. 

Unless it's a BTS Tell-All. 'Cause I want.

• Love 8
(edited)

Different strokes...I would very much like to learn about both. I like to understand things. For example, quarks told me by PM about possible reasons Barrowman is still around, and it was fascinating and  helpful. I haven't been able to understand why they haven't gotten rid of him, and "he's a nice guy" just doesn't work for me. So now that I understand I'm much less ragey. A LOT of the decisions they made around the BM storyline were clearly idiotic at the time they were made, and I'd like to understand why, both bc I just like to know things and bc that could make me less ragey and less concerned about it happening again.

Honestly, I'm not at all resigned to thinking the reconciliation will just be about the death. I think all the partner talk is foreshadowing, good foreshadowing for once, that he's going to work to become a good partner to Felicity. I think the death will be a big shove, but I think Beacon of Hope is going to be his turnaround/stopmopingstartworking episode, and I'm psyched about it. I doubt very much there will be a lot of conversations about it, bc these writers mostly suck at that, but I think it'll be made fairly clear that's what it's about.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 5
(edited)

There's really only so much they can say about upcoming storylines though because of spoilers, especially with the death. They probably won't be able to say too much because the death is going to play a huge part in the rest of the season.

Acting choices and whatnot from past episodes gives them a lot more to talk about I think.

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh. Now I wanna know about Barrowman. Because I don't get it either.

Eta: remember 320, Stephen let's spoilers out of he can most of the time. Though he's probably more likely to do it one on on.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 4
(edited)

I think Stephen can still be asked about all the things that have made many fans furious about the BMD drama and Oliver not being by Felicity's side after being shot up, just not in a confrontational tone. It just really depends on how the questions are phrased. I have a feeling Stephen would be more than willing to discuss what the show's thought process is regarding those situations. 

Edited to add: I want to know exactly what he meant when he told TV Insider he'd been hammering for Arrow to get back to what fans fell in love with. Does he mean Oliver's amazing solo stunts? Does it have anything to do with Original Team Arrow not having as many scenes anymore (OK, maybe that's just me)? 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 5

Edited to add: I want to know exactly what he meant when he told TV Insider he'd been hammering for Arrow to get back to what fans fell in love with. Does he mean Oliver's amazing solo stunts? Does it have anything to do with Original Team Arrow not having as many scenes anymore (OK, maybe that's just me)? 

This is what I'm curious about as well. Fortunately, I'll be at HVFF and the Nocking Point party so I'll try to get an answer :).

• Love 16

This is what I'm curious about as well. Fortunately, I'll be at HVFF and the Nocking Point party so I'll try to get an answer :).

Thank you! Have a fabulous time and let us know all the juicy details. :)

• Love 2

Awesome! Thank you very much, and have a great time! I hope you post about your experience at the con and the party here.

• Love 1

After they finish whatever it was that happened in Central City (and Barry turned back time and Oliver decided to hide the truth about his son from Felicity), this scene happened:

(Wow. After rewatching it again, and knowing what happens, I think I hate the scene and Oliver even more)

Try it with the sound off.  It's lovely.

• Love 6

Try it with the sound off.  It's lovely.

I would, but I still know the context of that scene. I think that will be the one O/F scene I won't rewatch. Someone commented that she was cuddling him like a son. If the circumstances were different - after a tough mission, a nightmare, him actually telling her he found out he had a kid... - I would have no problem with it and find it cute.

@quarks, I'm putting myself down as being interested about Barrowman.

• Love 3

I would, but I still know the context of that scene. I think that will be the one O/F scene I won't rewatch. Someone commented that she was cuddling him like a son. If the circumstances were different - after a tough mission, a nightmare, him actually telling her he found out he had a kid... - I would have no problem with it and find it cute.

@quarks, I'm putting myself down as being interested about Barrowman.

third (fourth?) on the Barrowman thing.

• Love 3

Why are you guys asking quarks about Barrowman? I can't find her post is it hidden or deleted or in another thread?

She told me some possible reasons he's still around by PM. I don't think it's secret, but it's not my info to tell. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm a snoop and I love gossip, but if it's something personal or possibly hurtful, I don't think that should be on an open board.  I'll leave it to quarks.

I agree. There's a reason why none of this spec was outright stated on the open board in the first place. Let's leave it at that.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1