Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

There are three things in life that are certain: Death, taxes, and this tired-ass argument coming up every single time someone from the show mentions OTA. 

This isn't that argument. At all. 

But OTA ARE Diggle's family because they've been fighting together for 3 years. They've fought for one another and supported one another. It's not like he's lying. He's proud of this aspect of the show. Why can't he 'harp' about it? 

Thea/Diggle rarely have had any scenes together so I can see why he doesn't talk about them. As far as Diggle/Laurel. IDK why he doesn't promote their relationship. But then again, it depends on the question being asked. I'm guessing most of the questions from HVFF were about OTA.

Because the family's grown. Changed...Roy became a part of the family first...now it's Thea and Laurel. 

It isn't just panels..it's interviews as well. He didn't spend much time talking of the dynamic he had with Laurel and Thea at SDCC (which granted was because the writers failed at the premiere). 

IIRC, non-fans of LL used the term "redacted" to tweet about the character without it showing up in KC's mentions or generate buzz for her.  Fans/stans caught on so they started sending screenshots to KC and letting her know they were defending her.  Non-fans switched to "Felicia" occasionally saying "bye" because they thought CL was brought on to replace her.  Eventually the fans/stans caught on and repeated their behavior.  About this time KC acquires a dog and names her Felicia.  She also starts tweeting the hashtag "Bye Felicia" frequently.  Coincidence or passive/aggressive behavior?  I don't know but it did lead to some non-fans of LL becoming non-KC fans.  Some fans embraced it as KC fighting back.     

That's funny .  From the way KC brought up the topic, I got the feeling she was kind of clueless about what the phrase could represent. I still have that feeling and so doubt that KC was actually being passive aggressive, but rather just going with some trend she didn't quite understand but saw popping up a lot, lol. 

• Love 2

IIRC, non-fans of LL used the term "redacted" to tweet about the character without it showing up in KC's mentions or generate buzz for her.  Fans/stans caught on so they started sending screenshots to KC and letting her know they were defending her.  Non-fans switched to "Felicia" occasionally saying "bye" because they thought CL was brought on to replace her.  Eventually the fans/stans caught on and repeated their behavior.  About this time KC acquires a dog and names her Felicia.  She also starts tweeting the hashtag "Bye Felicia" frequently.  Coincidence or passive/aggressive behavior?  I don't know but it did lead to some non-fans of LL becoming non-KC fans.  Some fans embraced it as KC fighting back.     

I never knew this. Interesting.

It's weird though because wouldn't LL/KC fans prefer it if non-fans didn't fill her 'tag' with hate? So saying 'redacted' seems like the twitter equivalent of anti tags, IMO. It's like those who tweet 'Nolicity.'

I don't understand why anyone takes screenshots though. But everyone does it. Like, why bother? Who has the time?

Edited by Guest

Because the family's grown. Changed...Roy became a part of the family first...now it's Thea and Laurel. 

It isn't just panels..it's interviews as well. He didn't spend much time talking of the dynamic he had with Laurel and Thea at SDCC (which granted was because the writers failed at the premiere). 

Think of it this way, two people get married and have a family.  Everybody new is loved but Mom and Dad still get to celebrate the anniversary of their marriage without worrying about making the kids feel bad. 

SA looks genuinely exhausted. 

• Love 2

I''m not trying to be wanky here. It seems to me  KC seems to mostly speak about Laurel and the Lance family more than the dynamic of the lair. I honestly feel like that's the case but I could be wrong.

My point is that outside of SA, the writers and the showrunners, I don't think any other actors are really under any obligation to speak beyond what they find important to their characters. I mean it's great if they do, but David isn't the lead, you know?

• Love 5

Again, it's not wrong for him to promote his favorite parts of the show? KC talks about what she enjoys about the show like her scenes with PB and CL (rarely talks about FS/JD), PB talks about getting laid a lot, SA talks a lot about Olicity/Bromance and rarely talks about LL... IDK why David has to be dinged for talking about what he likes most when pretty much the entire cast does the same thing?

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 16

I''m not trying to be wanky here. It seems to me  KC seems to mostly speak about Laurel and the Lance family more than the dynamic of the lair. I honestly feel like that's the case but I could be wrong.

My point is that outside of SA, the writers and the showrunners, I don't think any other actors are really under any obligation to speak beyond what they find important to their characters. I mean it's great if they do, but David isn't the lead, you know?

She does, and that's annoying in its own right. 

I kinda think they should especially as they are relationships that we're seeing on screen. Laurel-Diggle-Thea is something we see a good deal more of. He could promote that a bit more (the instagram pic of the three is a good example of what he should do imo) 

• Love 1

PB talks about getting laid a lot

No kidding!  Enough already.  He's going to gets some soon.  You've made it happen.  Stop bringing it up.  It was funny the first couple times.  Now it's creepy. 

• Love 13

I think it's because David Ramsey, the actor, is talking about what scenes and dynamics he likes the most. David Ramsey, the actor, didn't actually spend 5 - 6 months with WH and KC playing those scenes we never saw. Why would he bring up a dynamic that he never played? DR still, to this day, says his favorite scene was when he found out about Oliver. That was back in season one. That doesn't mean there hasn't been anything he enjoyed in the past 3 years. 

Plus, hey, I have co-workers I connect with and enjoy working with more than others. Doesn't mean I dislike the other people I work with. Just means I'm not going to pretend to have fun experiences and history with them if asked because I don't. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 24

No kidding!  Enough already.  He's going to gets some soon.  You've made it happen.  Stop bringing it up.  It was funny the first couple times.  Now it's creepy. 

It was ALWAYS creepy. Like there's so many more things you could want for your character and he's worrying about the last time Lance had sex. Yuck. 

Edited by Guest

It was ALWAYS creepy. Like there's so many more things you could want for your character and he's worrying about the last time Lance had sex. Yuck. 

The first couple times I heard him bring it up it played to my mind as shorthand for his whole life and how alone and lonely and sad he was with nothing in his life but his job and Laurel (who at the time was lying to him about Sara's death so that equaled nothing in my mind).  I took it as a cry for Lance to at least have something good happen to him.  But now, yeah, it's just about getting the wick wet.  Which, ew. 

• Love 4

It's an argument about OTA, which is pretty much guaranteed here anytime someone from the show mentions it.

Except it really isn't. 

I think it's because David Ramsey, the actor, is talking about what scenes and dynamics he likes the most. David Ramsey, the actor, didn't actually spend 5 - 6 months with WH and KC playing those scenes we never saw. Why would he bring up a dynamic that he never played? DR still, to this day, says his favorite scene was when he found out about Oliver. That was back in season one. That doesn't mean there hasn't been anything he enjoyed in the past 3 years. 

Plus, hey, I have co-workers I connect with and enjoy working with more than others. Doesn't mean I dislike the other people I work with. Just means I'm not going to pretend to have fun experiences and history with them if asked because I don't. 

Then Ramsey needs to realize that the trio isn't going to be as important as it once was. It never will be again. 

Again, it's not wrong for him to promote his favorite parts of the show? KC talks about what she enjoys about the show like her scenes with PB and CL (rarely talks about FS/JD), PB talks about getting laid a lot, SA talks a lot about Olicity/Bromance and rarely talks about LL... IDK why David has to be dinged for talking about what he likes most when pretty much the entire cast does the same thing?

Because David was the actor of choice here. Those you mentioned deserve varying levels of flak for it as well.

Because David was the actor of choice here. Those you mentioned deserve varying levels of flak for it as well.

But you only ever give David flak about this subject? I mean it's one thing to say they deserve it, but it's another to actually give it to them... Heck even Willa Holland rarely talks about Diggle. 

I mean if Willa/KC rarely talk about JD, why does it matter if DR talks about LL/TQ?

Obviously there's no love lost here. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5

I wonder how you ask for something like this? 

It's almost like the hug from 4x05, complete with hair kiss, with a lot less angst and terror from the possibility of being trapped in the netherworld and not seeing Felicity ever again :)

ETAL Or what Velocity23 said above, LOL! This is what happens when you don't refresh.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

There is also something to be said about giving the fans what they want, and these fans are paying tons of money to go and ask questions about what they care about. So DR is going to talk about OTA when asked. In interviews I am sure he talks more about the group as a whole. However, it's not his fault he isn't getting asked about LL/TQ...So why would he bring them up in an answer when the question didn't ask about them?

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 11

IIRC, non-fans of LL used the term "redacted" to tweet about the character without it showing up in KC's mentions or generate buzz for her. Fans/stans caught on so they started sending screenshots to KC and letting her know they were defending her. Non-fans switched to "Felicia" occasionally saying "bye" because they thought CL was brought on to replace her. Eventually the fans/stans caught on and repeated their behavior. About this time KC acquires a dog and names her Felicia. She also starts tweeting the hashtag "Bye Felicia" frequently. Coincidence or passive/aggressive behavior? I don't know but it did lead to some non-fans of LL becoming non-KC fans. Some fans embraced it as KC fighting back.

Seriously? Just wow the drama

• Love 1

I think the actors are allowed to have their favorites and talk about it more.As others said KC or WH rarely talk about Diggle so its not like its just a thing with DR.He did talk about the Thea Laurel Diggle dynamic during the promo for the premiere.We didn't see much of it on screen though so its not like there's much of a dynamic there imo.He doesn't even talk to Thea and has a random emotional scene with Laurel that feels strange because we never saw them grow closer and just went straight to having heart to hearts.

This was a con and the fans asked about OTA.They usually ask about OTA at his panels.I would find it kinda weird if he started talking about Thea and Laurel when they aren't included in the dynamic fans are asking him about.Its not his fault he doesn't get asked about about Diggle's relationship with them very much.

• Love 13

Okay, I'll let you have that. As you argue about OTA comments. Again. :)

I haven't even brought them up beyond my original post. 

Point: I think should David should discuss other actors when he can. It's not arguing about the O-F-D dynamic. 

But you only ever give David flak about this subject? I mean it's one thing to say they deserve it, but it's another to actually give it to them... Heck even Willa Holland rarely talks about Diggle. 

I mean if Willa/KC rarely talk about JD, why does it matter if DR talks about LL/TQ?

Obviously there's no love lost here. 

But this is the first time I'm doing so IIRC. 

Point: I think should David should discuss other actors when he can. It's not arguing about the O-F-D dynamic.

I just don't understand why David has to talk about other characters on the show when they don't talk about him... I mean the last time KC talked about Diggle, IIRC, was about who she would want to walk her dog (I'm only talking about KC here because WH doesn't really say much).

I also think it's kind of unfair because David talked about Team B over the summer and how they're a well oiled machine, but narratively, Team B didn't really measure up to anything. Diggle/Thea barely have scenes. Laurel/Diggle have shared 2 meaningful scenes (but DR doesn't talk about those, IDK why. One can only speculate). How can David talk about the new team members when they barely have scenes and when their introduction to the team hasn't really changed much other than the fact that there are more bodies in the team?

I guess I don't know what David's supposed to say about TQ/LL?

But this is the first time I'm doing so IIRC.

Mmm I don't think so, I recall you saying hte same thing before. But I think we should just move on at this point.

• Love 7

I haven't even brought them up beyond my original post.

And I'll ask again, why? Why should he HAVE to talk about the other actors if he is not asked about them? He's not their publicist. He's not an EP. So please, why *should* he go out of his way to talk about them when they are not brought up? Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 15

Speaking of horses (live ones), I'm seeing Cavalia's Odysseo in a few weeks. If anyone loves horses and/or Cirque du Soleil, I highly recommend Cavalia.

Back on topic: So glad you got to have a nice chat with SA, lemotomato! My friend couldn't get over how much younger he looks in person. At one point during the party when the music was loud, I had to speak directly into his ear and inadvertently put my hand on his shoulder while he leaned down and he is a very solidly built man. Can't even imagine what DR's arms/shoulders would feel like! Must be nice to hug DR. Anyone care to share their experiences?

Did anyone from the forum attend the panels? Any thoughts/impression?

They seemed more lively then they did yesterday.

Definitely. I thought SA was relatively subdued at his solo panel yesterday.

I decided to skip today. Hopefully, lemotomato went?

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 3

That baby freaks me out. How about this baby?!

200_s.gif

Cry-Baby works, I guess. Let's call it a temporary measure until ragey baby wakes up from a nap.

That baby freaks me out. How about this baby?!

200_s.gif

Thank god!! I'm not the only one!

Speaking of horses (live ones), I'm seeing Cavalia's Odysseo in a few weeks. If anyone loves horses and/or Cirque du Soleil, I highly recommend Cavalia.

Hee, I ban any live shows that have animals as part of the show, especially cirques shows. I just find it cruel to the animal! I also don't go to zoo's for the same reason, I find it cruel to lock a wild animal and than train it to do stunts for the enjoyment of people.

Did anyone from the forum attend the panels? Any thoughts/impression?

They seemed more lively then they did yesterday.

While I liked Stephen's solo panel yesterday, I found the one with him and Robbie was my favorite between the two. Stephen and Robbie played a game on stage with two fans while they answered questions. I found the questions from fans to be better.

David Ramsey's panel was right after and it was great. He is very funny. The story he told about There was this one girl who went up to the mike to ask him a question and she had her boyfriend standing behind her and she started crying after she told him he was her favorite character on Arrow. He asked her to come sit up on stage with him for the reminder of the panel and hugged her when she got on stage It was so sweet. 

I had to leave John Barrowan's panel a little early for my photo op, but what I saw was really good. Neal came out for a bit, but he didn't really talk too much. Katie Cassidy came on stage for a bit and they said that bye Felicia is something that they do with each other. They also mentioned the face times they have with each other. 

• Love 8

Back on topic: So glad you got to have a nice chat with SA, lemotomato! My friend couldn't get over how much younger he looks in person. At one point during the party when the music was loud, I had to speak directly into his ear and inadvertently put my hand on his shoulder while he leaned down and he is a very solidly built man. Can't even imagine what DR's arms/shoulders would feel like! Must be nice to hug DR. Anyone care to share their experiences?Definitely. I thought SA was relatively subdued at his solo panel yesterday.

DR is an excellent hugger. And he was also hotter than hell holding my three year old daughter and talking about Flash. His hands are ginormous!
  • Love 11

Hee, I ban any live shows that have animals as part of the show, especially cirques shows. I just find it cruel to the animal! I also don't go to zoo's for the same reason, I find it cruel to lock a wild animal and than train it to do stunts for the enjoyment of people.

I agree. I've never been a big [traditional] circus fan, but I used to go to zoos all the time. My friends and family used to laugh at me because no matter where I was—Sydney, Berlin, Singapore, anywhere—the zoo was always high up on my agenda.

As for Cavalia, I've heard that they're known for treating their horses well and when we toured the stables after the show, the horses seemed happy and well-cared-for, but I guess you never know for sure. I do know that my first Cavalia experience was something I'll never forget: as soon as the house lights went down, two foals galloped onto the stage from opposite directions and proceeded to frolic around the stage for a few minutes—without a human in sight, no music—it was magical.

http://www.wellsphere.com/pet-health-article/cavalia-why-not-all-animal-acts-are-inhumane/979345

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_26644485/horses-reign

DR is an excellent hugger. And he was also hotter than hell holding my three year old daughter and talking about Flash. His hands are ginormous!

Jealous! I never even saw him yesterday but I was only at the con for two hours. Definitely something to shoot for someday!

I don't go to shows with animal acts and I tend to avoid movies with them too.  But I loved Cavalia.  The first time I went, one of the horses in the freedom section (where the horses aren't on leads) decided he didn't want to do what everyone else was doing.  The man running it had to come on stage and he got the horse to agree to participate again.  I say 'agree to' because it didn't look like there was any coercion.

On topic:  it's very clear what DR likes about the show and what he doesn't.  Isn't the chance to see an actor be genuine why we go to these panels?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Back on topic: So glad you got to have a nice chat with SA, lemotomato! My friend couldn't get over how much younger he looks in person. At one point during the party when the music was loud, I had to speak directly into his ear and inadvertently put my hand on his shoulder while he leaned down and he is a very solidly built man. Can't even imagine what DR's arms/shoulders would feel like! Must be nice to hug DR. Anyone care to share their experiences?

Definitely. I thought SA was relatively subdued at his solo panel yesterday.

Haha, thanks to you guys for giving me something ask him. I'm terrible at small talk until I've had a couple drinks.

I wish I had gotten the DR experience too, but I couldn't because of time and budget. If I go to another con, he'll definitely be my priority. He was soooo nice at his panel and so thankful to the fans. Today's panels were much more relaxed and fun, and I agree with Chasity that the questions asked at the SA/RA panel were better than yesterday's. I thought the people asking actually sounded like they had watched the shows and were familiar with the characters, which was a nice change.

And for what it's worth, I thought DR's answers were direct and honest and from the heart. He's not the lead character, so he doesn't have to be diplomatic like SA. I'll post more details about his panel once I go through my notes. I also think, based on his expressions when answering questions, nothing he said was throwing shade at anyone. Except maybe Tom Selleck.

• Love 7

I'll start with the Tom Selleck story. DR starts off describing how TS is a big, formidable guy, even now, and how he's maybe an inch taller than DR. In the first season of Blue Bloods, during DR's first episodes, they were looking at each other eye-to-eye, their characters were growly and combative. Then 4 episodes later, DR's character gets shot and put into a wheelchair. So he jokingly accused TS for that plot development, because TS didn't want to be standing toe-to-toe with him. 

I tried to summarize his answers, but he gave really detailed explanations, so I just ended up transcribing. I'll pick the questions that seem to have gotten the most attention and haven't had clips up yet. There are also youtube vids up (not mine) of some parts of the panel (DR talks about his favorite Olicity moment, about why OTA works well, about Oliver and his women)

Q: In season 1 and 2, you and Felicity have some great scenes together. Are we going to see that again?

"Yeah, you'll see more of them, because this season is-- you'll be seeing more of her backstory and more of mine. So hopefully that meansmore of that relationship being fleshed out. But I think the writers are trying to find different combinations of relationships, like there was a moment that me and Paul Blackthorne had together... there was a moment that me and Thea had. There was a nice moment between me and Laurel Lance last week. So they're trying to find these little nice combinations, but hopefully they'll get back to Diggle and Felicity in the future."

Q: What does DR think of the mask?

"All I have to say about the mask is 'I am the law!' Doesn't it look just like Judge Dredd? Between Magneto and Judge Dredd... The mask will change. It will be streamlined. It'll go through a Cisco-Starlabs re-creation."

Q: Did DR know how Digg's storyline was going to evolve when first signed up for the role as Oliver's bodyguard?

"What I was told was 'You, my friend, are named John Stewart Diggle.' That's honestly the truth. There was a trajectory for all the characters... I think there were some things about Felicity being Oracle. All this stuff is very political. Any character that appears on our show goes through a myriad of approvals from DC and Warner Brothers. So that was the plan for the producers, but they didn't get the approval that they wanted, and it didn't happen in terms of me becoming John Stewart. But originally, that was what I was told by producers. I was also told that he's be intergral, that he'll be the first to know Oliver's secret and be his mentor, and things like that. So yeah, I had a great expectation. I had no idea he was going to become this. I don't think anybody did. No one knew that Felicity would show up. No one knew that the trio of Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity would become kind of the core. Things change, as the audience becomes a part of it. Certainly you guys have an input on what you want to see. So all that plays into it. Some of the things I was told worked out, and some things didn't."

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 21

Q: In season 1 and 2, you and Felicity have some great scenes together. Are we going to see that again?

"Yeah, you'll see more of them, because this season is-- you'll be seeing more of her backstory and more of mine. So hopefully that meansmore of that relationship being fleshed out. But I think the writers are trying to find different combinations of relationships, like there was a moment that me and Paul Blackthorne had together... there was a moment that me and Thea had. There was a nice moment between me and Laurel Lance last week. So they're trying to find these little nice combinations, but hopefully they'll get back to Diggle and Felicity in the future."

@Lemotomato, where were you when we were discussing how DR never talks about anyone else??? LMAO That could've easily fixed things. 

• Love 2

SA said that they play a Christmas carol for the first time.

But I have a recollection of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" playing during the Queen Christmas party in s1. Am I misremembering?

Edited by statsgirl

@Lemotomato, where were you when we were discussing how DR never talks about anyone else??? LMAO That could've easily fixed things. 

Haha, I had recorded it on my phone, but I couldn't take notes on my phone and listen at the same time. And it was like, two sentences in a really long answer. Probably not enough to satisfy the demand for DR to expound at length on how Digg, Laurel, and Thea are totally BFFs now!! 

Anyway, here are the answers to the fluffier questions:

- DR thinks that Diggle is very principled. He's the best adjusted character in the core group. strong sense of justice, morality, and goodness. he sees things very black and white. there's not much room for the gray.

- He made fun of Eugene Byrd, who caught pinkeye (and a bronchial infection) after their recent shoot of scenes set in Afghanistan. "Who gets pinkeye in their 30s? Wash your hands!")

- NM is a huge practical jokester and is really silly. So between him, JB, DR, and SA, no work is going to get done.

- There's only one actress playing baby Sara because she's awesome and the best.

- DR would love to see what Earth 2 Diggle is up to ("wearing a power ring?"), but he has no idea.

- He and SA don't have a running gag this season like "What's in the box" from a previous season. But their go-to gag is fart jokes. He said they might bring back "What's in the box" because he recently took a pic of SA dressed as GA, in an actual box.

- Digg is going to go through waves of emotion regarding his brother, from "my brother doesn't deserve anything/ he's been alive this whole time/ he's an enemy of the state" to "I love my brother". Regarding whether or not Andy is undercover: "Well, there's always a twist on Arrow, right?"

- Andy might become a member of Team Arrow for a while, but DR can't really say for sure what will happen because he only knows part of where Andy's story is going for now.

- About the photo of DR sitting on GG: he sat on him for 5 minutes, and GG's leg went numb.

- DR would fanboy over Patrick Stewart, Brett Spiner, and William Shatner. He's a huge Trekkie, so anyone on those casts. And Harrison Ford.

- DR loves SA, but he'd totally beat SA in a muscle up contest. And then as he goes on, he gets an epiphany about what he would want on a Diggle shirt (referring to a question he was asked earlier about lack of Diggle merchandise): "Muscle Up!" in the front, and "Diggle Time!" in the back.

- If he could play any comic book character, DR would want to be Moonknight.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 11