Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

The one with SA seems to have a connection to one of the places Arrow was shooting at a couple days ago, so that one could be recent. 

The only location I have seen recently is 

the hospital

. Were there other pics from this place?

Yeah, location was definitely the wrong word :) I meant that I couldn't see the connection between that photo and 

the hospital

, so I assumed @lemotomato was referring to another set/place/something they had been shooting at recently.

What's the issue?

Actually, the eye roll was at the obviousness of the promotion.  I thought, it's no coincidence that DC Comics is using a BC banner pic when we're in the middle of a Canary arc storyline.

So Amell made a post about Ryan Adam's 1989 album: "He covered Taylor Swift's new album. I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song in my entire life on purpose. The whole album is spectacular. Seriously. Here's Blank Space."

And then minutes later made another post on a video about some guys not liking Arrow: This is disappointing but you have to consider the source. Tim and Sid is probably a decent show, but I've never taken the time to watch. But listen... anytime you can flippantly shit on something that you've clearly never seen, as a professional broadcaster, you ABSOLUTELY have to do it."

He also tweeted: Hey @Sid_Seixeiro -- any chance you want to bare knuckle fight on live television?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I am getting some not so great vibes from him lately and how he views women. (There was also a tweet about how he was holding a pink hoodie while watching the sports game. Amell, you are a father to a little girl - you better get used to holding "girly" things) 

• Love 3

So Amell made a post about Ryan Adam's 1989 album: "He covered Taylor Swift's new album. I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song in my entire life on purpose. The whole album is spectacular. Seriously. Here's Blank Space."

I have no opinion on the Sid S thing, but I didn't like the Taylor Swift comment.  If he likes the album that means he likes HER songwriting.  Show a little respect, dude.  

Also, I think KC needs to work on her lower-body musculature.  Not to look good, but to be a believable non-superpowered superhero.  She's done a lot with her upper body to look like she could throw an effective punch, and it shows.  

• Love 2

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I am getting some not so great vibes from him lately and how he views women. (There was also a tweet about how he was holding a pink hoodie while watching the sports game. Amell, you are a father to a little girl - you better get used to holding "girly" things) 

I don't think the pink hoodie comment was meant to be disparaging necessarily, just "look at me, a manly man at a manly hockey game, secure enough in my manliness to hold a pink hoodie while doing man stuff!"

But yeah, I think he's got a pretty consistent track record of expressing some not-so-great thoughts about women on both his Twitter and Facebook. 

Also, this is just an aside, and I know this also has something to do with musical preferences as well, but talking up Ryan Adams' male take on a song that Taylor Swift wrote, from her own POV, as a superior version while putting her down is gross. And I've seen a lot of people do it, not just SA. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 6

I have no opinion on the Sid S thing, but I didn't like the Taylor Swift comment.  If he likes the album that means he likes HER songwriting.  Show a little respect, dude

"He covered Taylor Swift's new album. I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song in my entire life on purpose. The whole album is spectacular. Seriously. Here's Blank Space."

Yeah, I got the opposite impression from what he wrote.  I read it like him admitting that while he'd always purposely avoided it before, now he's been confronted with it being spectacular music.  

• Love 4

Yeah, I got the opposite impression from what he wrote.  I read it like him admitting that while he'd always purposely avoided it before, now he's been confronted with it being spectacular music.  

What it seems to me like he's saying is that no way would he ever listen to Taylor Swift, but what Ryan Adams did with HER music is totally amazing, go listen to his version now!

I think it would've been better if he just said something about enjoying the cover album, and left any commentary about Taylor Swift out of it.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

He said he's gone out of his way never to listen to a Taylor Swift song.  If he'd meant he realized it was spectacular, I think he would have mentioned he was also going to listen to the original, rather than going on about Ryan Adams' version while saying nothing about the original.

His tweet about it was more ambiguous: "Is Ryan Adams covering 1989 luring me into listening to Taylor Swift eventually? Probably." I have seen grown adult males who HAVE actually listened to the TS 1989 after this and realized they like it and her, and it would be great if he came to the same realization. That she's been good all along and he's a smug jerk for being too cool to listen to her. Buuuuuuut, he's not great at admitting he was wrong, so.

• Love 6

I totally took it as him leveling sarcasm at himself for his close-mindedness about Taylor Swift.

Like he had decided on principal to not listen but then he heard it from this other artist and he's all  LHWIW (Look how wrong I was)

• Love 3

His FB page:

"True story. Up first, when of my favorite artists, Ryan Adams. Or, as I need to say it to my Canadian friends, NOT Bryan Adams. He covered Taylor Swift's new album. I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song in my entire life on purpose. The whole album is spectacular. Seriously."

I totally took it as him leveling sarcasm at himself for his close-mindedness about Taylor Swift.

Like he had decided on principal to not listen but then he heard it from this other artist and he's all  LHWIW (Look how wrong I was)

Except on Twitter he said maybe he'll eventually listen to her originals.  

• Love 1

His FB page:

"True story. Up first, when of my favorite artists, Ryan Adams. Or, as I need to say it to my Canadian friends, NOT Bryan Adams. He covered Taylor Swift's new album. I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song in my entire life on purpose. The whole album is spectacular. Seriously."

Except on Twitter he said maybe he'll eventually listen to her originals.  

Okay well I didn't see that on Twitter. I still think he's poking at himself and probably poking at those that undoubtably gave him shit about this.  For me, it's much ado about nothing really. 

• Love 2

Okay well I didn't see that on Twitter. I still think he's poking at himself and probably poking at those that undoubtably gave him shit about this.  For me, it's much ado about nothing really. 

There's no ado - we're just discussing it. 

I doubt anyone gave him shit about liking that cover album. Glad he took the time to let us know he never listened to the source material, though. Extra cool points for him!

• Love 1

There's very little ado.  There are a couple people telling him to listen to her album, and there's me here saying it's disrespectful to diss the songwriter while praising the singer.  That's pretty much the sum total of the ado.

• Love 1

Full disclosure: I ducked listening to Taylor Swift for years. Every time she came on I rolled my eyes and changed the station. Everything was Taylor Swift and annoyed me to no end.

Then I listened to All Too Well. Ended up listening to all of her music and 1989 is one of my favorite albums ever.

Avoiding an artist isn't new. 

• Love 9

LOL I didn't mean "ado" here. Just in general.  I saw some people hassling him a bit. I don't think it's an indication that he's a misogynist or whatever. That's all I'm saying. 

I don't listen to Taylor Swift on principle either but I have enjoyed a couple of her songs that showed up in Supernatural. But I wouldn't seek out her music. I also doubt I'll ever listen to the other guys cover of her song. 

• Love 3

LOL I didn't mean "ado" here. Just in general.  I saw some people hassling him a bit. I don't think it's an indication that he's a misogynist or whatever. That's all I'm saying. 

There was a whole other part where the OP pointed out other posts of his and thought maybe they were indicative of a certain attitude of his. No one said him not listening to or liking Taylor Swift was misogynist. 

There was a whole other part where the OP pointed out other posts of his and thought maybe they were indicative of a certain attitude of his. No one said him not listening to or liking Taylor Swift was misogynist.

Okay well interpreted the criticism as pointing towards him being misogynistic or at minimum sexist. If that wasn't the case, my bad.

• Love 1

I think a lot of us are bringing baggage in here from the past few years of SA on social media, and tbh, a picture emerges or at least a vibe that I don't love. Like I said above, I think most of it falls more into him being overly concerned about his own masculinity, rather than denigrating women (like the TS thing). And hey, it's been at least a year since that sexual velociraptor thing, right?

• Love 7

image.jpg

I don't know where to post this. But apparently I can't even state what I like on GATV because someone thinks I'm doing it on purpose.

I find it funny that I state what I like and how primarily 4x06 is being talked about as being a Felicity episode. Yet we have two commenters on there listing everyone in the show (especially the Delaney person) but Felicity, yet I'm commenting about what I'm looking forward to on "purpose?"

I wrote an email to the people at gatv and said this is ridiculous that I was being treated that way.

Okay well interpreted the criticism as pointing towards him being misogynistic or at minimum sexist. If that wasn't the case, my bad.

Oh, I 100% think he's sexist.  Not because of the Taylor Swift thing, though.  I more think he's a bit close-minded on that one.  And I don't think he's a misogynist.

• Love 1

I think a lot of us are bringing baggage in here from the past few years of SA on social media, and tbh, a picture emerges or at least a vibe that I don't love. Like I said above, I think most of it falls more into him being overly concerned about his own masculinity, rather than denigrating women (like the TS thing). And hey, it's been at least a year since that sexual velociraptor thing, right?

Not quite, the "sexual velociraptor" happened in February.  I do think the one or two comments aren't terrible, but when you stop and think and you add them all together? I get a picture I am not really a fan of. I used to brush away the comments before, but they seem to be more frequent now? And then you add in the whole "Not All Texans!!" thing and I think he should really consider taking a real social media break. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 5

Full disclosure: I ducked listening to Taylor Swift for years. Every time she came on I rolled my eyes and changed the station. Everything was Taylor Swift and annoyed me to no end.

Then I listened to All Too Well. Ended up listening to all of her music and 1989 is one of my favorite albums ever.

I was pretty apathetic to her, just because I didn't think her music was my kind of music. Then Mr. WordHere was listening to 1989 one day and I instantly realized that her music really is my kind of music. I also love reading her posts on tumblr.

Music fail: in the last scene with Oliver and Laurel, the score playing is the same from the date in 301 and the exchange in 319 "you're the man that I l--you're the man that I believe in". Can't remember if it's heard any other time between other characters. By the way, does anyone know what's the title? I can't seem to find it.

Screen times for 404, 405 have not been posted yet.

I think I’ve started a tradition now. Here are screentime counts for Arrow 404.

Arrow 404 Beyond Redemption
Oliver - 24:47
Felicity - 11:21
Diggle - 8:19
Thea - 10:41
Laurel - 11:08
Lance - 15:44
Malcom - 0.00
Damian - 1:37
http://apinksunset1.tumblr.com/post/132187022068/i-think-ive-started-a-tradition-now-here-are

Season 4 Totals

Oliver - 1 hr 32 min

Felicity - 50:22 min

Diggle - 37:20 min

Thea - 44:18 min

Laurel - 39:26 min

Lance - 26:48 min

Malcolm - 9:19 min

Damian - 13:17 min

Edited by Morrigan2575

Doesn't he realize how dumb that sounds? He's never listened to the biggest popstar in the world "on purpose" (which, sure! And also, what purpose?) and the second a man deigns to sing her songs, he claims they're spectacular? Um, does he realize who wrote the "spectacular" songs he likes? Maybe if he weren't such a prejudiced jackass he could have listened to them a whole lot sooner?

I also don't get not listeing to someone "on principle". I mean, yes, I get it if it's Chris Brown or someone like that, where the principle is "I don't support abusers". But what kind of "principle" is there in not listening to someone otherwise non-offensive? And why brag about it? 

Edited by Serena
  • Love 3

Similar story, but she got me with the Speak Now album. I'm actually not a huge fan of 1989 from a music perspective (a lot of it sounds repetitive musically speaking), but her songwriting is killer. The music videos are amazing and from throwback to when music videos were actually something people put effort into. Her vids actually got me to like some of the songs. She has a way of finding just the right words & images to reach a lot of different audiences. She is also the Queen of marketing and selling her brand. Hands down, the woman is a genius. Is she the best singer or musician, probably not imo. But her talent as musical artist is undeniable.

I have no idea what SA was trying to really say. It seems like he was closeminded about TS, but not he's openminded. Her songs are universal, which is why they appeal to many & crossover so well. Maybe he just needs to hear a male voice... Who knows? What would have been nice is after starting the statement out with some implied shade about T.Swift, he could have been more clear about who he was giving the credit to, esp on FB where there is no character limit. He could have thrown some respect or acknowledgment TS way. As it reads, I'm not sure the compliment is for Ryan Adams or Taylor Swift, or both. Instead he is very ambiguous, which I think was intentional on his part.

• Love 1