Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

This SA response about fan influence on the Arrow writers was sourced by jbuffyangel and is worth repeating here (from January 29, 2015)...

Beth Buxton Sanders Do you think the fans influence the direction of the story arc or do you think the writers will stick with the plans laid out at the beginning of the series? I know it's because of the fans that Felicity went from a one-off to a regular character, but do you think the writers allow the fans to affect the decisions they make regarding Oliver and Felicity's relationship? Thanks!
26 · January 29 at 4:22pm
Stephen Amell In short... Felicity became a part of the long term plans well before the show even aired and anyone in the fandom saw her performance. As for ongoing storylines, I believe the writers room exists in a vacuum free from almost all fan influence for the simple reason that they're privy to more information than the viewer. At the beginning of every season, they have to consider the arc of 23 full episodes, whereas the fandom is living ep to ep and drawing their conclusions / aspirations based on what the writers have given them. There's a famous Don Draper line to throw in here, but instead I'll just suggest you watch the pilot of Mad Men and search for the line on nylons.
260 · January 29 at 4:36pm

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/797720413646561/?comment_id=797726133645989&reply_comment_id=797744296977506

Edited by tv echo

Is FB sponsoring SA in some way?  Cause he supposedly hates Twitter but he tweets an awful lot. He supposedly hates Periscope but is cool with FBs version.

I used to read into the amount of BTS photos and who is in them and what not, but now I realize PB and KC just really like to post photos.

• Love 2

His tweet about Facebook "changing the game" made me laugh. Does he not know that there are other sites where people can live stream? That this is not new? FB changed its own game - it added existing technology to its site.

I think live streaming is kind of iffy - filming people who don't know you're doing it is meh to me, and as tarotx wrote, it's going to blow up one day. Maybe not him, but some celebrity. Although I'd be careful about filming someone and saying "Hey, (so and so), you're live on Facebook!" without telling them beforehand, haha. 

His love for FB runs deep, that's for sure. 

• Love 8

His tweet about Facebook "changing the game" made me laugh. Does he not know that there are other sites where people can live stream? That this is not new? FB changed its own game - it added existing technology to its site.

I think live streaming is kind of iffy - filming people who don't know you're doing it is meh to me, and as tarotx wrote, it's going to blow up one day. Maybe not him, but some celebrity. Although I'd be careful about filming someone and saying "Hey, (so and so), you're live on Facebook!" without telling them beforehand, haha. 

His love for FB runs deep, that's for sure. 

Well he is an Apple fan...

• Love 1

Now, admittedly, I am an Elder by internet standards, so maybe I'm just too old for this shit. But I truly don't get the point of the livestreaming video apps. Like...most people aren't actually going to view the thing live unless it's either planned well in advance or they just happen to see you post the link at the exact right time. Most people will still watch it after the fact. So...what is the substantive difference between this and his other FB Q&As that were posted likely minutes after he recorded them? The only difference I can imagine is more annoying questions because he/his assistant won't have had the time beforehand to sort through them? More dead time while he scrolls past all the "hi" "hello" "Arrow!" "I love you!" posts? I just...don't see the big opportunities and exciting possibilities Stephen does, I guess.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 11

Is FB sponsoring SA in some way?  Cause he supposedly hates Twitter but he tweets an awful lot. He supposedly hates Periscope but is cool with FBs version.

I used to read into the amount of BTS photos and who is in them and what not, but now I realize PB and KC just really like to post photos.

To be fair, PB has a lot of time on his hands :p He doesn't exactly have a lot of scenes in the show. 

Did he actually do a Q&A or something?

I think he intended to, because he gave users a time that he would be on, but he had technical issues, so he was 45 minutes or so late. He said he'd be back on later - so I guess he'll do one then?

Now, admittedly, I am an Elder by internet standards, so maybe I'm just too old for this shit. But I truly don't get the point of the livestreaming video apps.

Same.

I mean, I actually livestream a whole lot of stuff -- but it's always something pre-scheduled, and with an actual goal -- classes, discussions on a specific topic, music concerts. But first person POV celebs are way beyond my caring, to be honest.

I wish there was an app that livestreamed fictional characters. I like those better than real people anyway.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 4

Periscope videos self destruct after 24 hours, so it wouldn't work for SA's purposes. As for livestream vs uploading videos to Facebook, in my experience, it takes a long freaking time to upload videos to FB, and mine were only about 2-3 minutes long, not 15 min Q&As. I can see why streaming would appeal to someone as busy as SA.

Thanks for that explanation, lemotomato! I can see the upload time being annoying and given that SA doesn't seem to really edit the videos he makes, I suppose a livestream makes sense. I just hope SA ends up limiting the real-time interacting element, because sifting through the useless comments to get to actual questions could be painful.

Or he could actually just read ALL of the comments on purpose, including every single "say hi to Brazil" and "DAD!" and do nothing else, ever. I would watch that.

That would be hilarious. Bonus points if he gets appearances by David and Emily. They could do their best impersonations of 'Patrick Stewart's dramatic readings of Taylor Swift Songs.'

• Love 2

He's really a fan of Mad Men, isn't he?

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the ACTRA rates for a Background Performer (I'm assuming that's who the extras or one-line actors would be) and the rate is $201.75 a day.  Their budget must really be sliced to the bone if they can't afford even that to make their show look better.

Is he talking about this one? 

"When you mean love you mean a big lightning bolt to the heart, where you can't eat and you can't work, and you just run off and get married and make babies. The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons."
  • Love 2

He's really a fan of Mad Men, isn't he?

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the ACTRA rates for a Background Performer (I'm assuming that's who the extras or one-line actors would be) and the rate is $201.75 a day.  Their budget must really be sliced to the bone if they can't afford even that to make their show look better.

I think that's non-speaking, which means that if you are trying to fill the two level Verdant set, which needs about sixty people to look "full," that's a little over $12,000, assuming you can shoot in one day. Almost certainly the reason why in both "The Brave and the Bold" and "The Climb" the club scenes were on the upper level, so they could hide the lack of people on the dance floor while saving $12,000. 

For other sets they can go smaller - I think they only had about 10 or 12 background extras in the restaurant for the Felicity and Oliver date, for instance, which worked because they kept the restaurant small.  That's still about $2000, which probably helps explain why the current day timeline in "This Is Your Sword," which had the ATOM suit and the plane crash, had no one day speaking parts or extras other than the stunt guys. Not quite a bottle show, but similar. 

• Love 1

I wonder how much time/money it would take to create a crowd digitally? I remember reading about how movies that did this for scenes with large background crowds.

And I just remembered that someone posted a BTS pic of an inflated dummy sitting in the seats of the boxing arena for 3x01. So I guess that's an even cheaper way to create background extras.

Edited by lemotomato

I'm having one of those days where my brain isn't functioning properly so can someone please explain what SA means about that Mad Men quote? Because I'm not connecting the dots here.

• Love 1

I wonder how much time/money it would take to create a crowd digitally? I remember reading about how movies that did this for large crowd scenes

They did that for the crowds at the boxing match in "The Calm" - but they had a handful of real actors close to the ring - I'm guessing that kind of thing is difficult to make look realistic on a CW budget unless they're super, super blurry in the background. 

I'm having one of those days where my brain isn't functioning properly so can someone please explain what SA means about that Mad Men quote? Because I'm not connecting the dots here.

The Mad Men quote is saying that all of our feelings and desires are a product of the creators. Stephen was using it as a counterpoint to the ridiculous claim that Arrow's storylines and characters are being driven by the fans rather than the fans reacting to what the showrunners have presented to the audience. In other words, the reason people fell in love with Felicity is because the producers and writers created a likable character and the audience responded--not the other way around.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

That would be hilarious. Bonus points if he gets appearances by David and Emily. They could do their best impersonations of 'Patrick Stewart's dramatic readings of Taylor Swift Songs.'

Is that a real thing? Because if it is, I neeeeeeeeed to know where I can find it!

LOL It's totally a thing. Patrick Stewart does Blank Space and Style. Ian McKellan even gets in on the action with Bad Blood. I believe it was done for Access Hollywood. They were posted on SoundCloud too.

• Love 1

If anyone is interested, these are the rates for the various parts.  I thought it was interesting that the stunt actors get paid more than the stunt coordinator.  (But then, it is more dangerous.)  Sorry that the formatting is off, it's different in the editing window than in the thread

B101 Minimum Fees - On Camera      Daily       Hourly      Overtime      Weekly
Principal Actor, etc.                              696.00    87.50        130.50         2959.00
Singer, etc.                                           521.75    65.50         98.00          2217.75
Actor, etc.                                             470.00    59.00         88.50          1998.00
Variety Principal                                   1044.25 130.50       195.50            4438.50
Chorus Performer                                  677.00    84.25      127.00           2878.25
Stunt Coordinator                                  905.50  113.00       170.00
Stunt Actor                                          1044.25   130.50       195.50

http://www.actra.ca/main/wp-content/uploads/2013-15-Rate-Sheet.pdf

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

Has anyone ever explained/shown how they keep the hoods up for various action/stunt scenes? Do they somehow attach them to the actors/stuntmen's heads? Are the hoods really stiff or reinforced? There are all these scenes with jumping, flipping, falling back, etc. and the no one's head gets uncovered, no matter what. How do they do it?

Here's what I have listed for the remaining 2015 cast appearances (fyi):

Shore Leave 37, August 7-9, 2015 (Hunt Valley, MD)
John Barrowman

TCA Summer 2015 Press Tour - The CW/Showtime, August 11, 2015 (Beverly Hills, CA)

?

Wizard World's Chicago Comic Con, August 20-23, 2015
Stephen Amell and Summer Glau (also Arthur Darvill)

Nerdist Writers Panel, August 23, 2015 (Los Angeles, CA)
Marc Guggenheim

MCM Ireland Comic Con, August 29-30, 2015 (Dublin, Ireland)
Katrina Law

Dragon Con, September 4-7, 2015 (Atlanta, GA)
Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Katie Cassidy and John Barrowman (also Robbie Amell, Danielle Panabaker and Candice Patton)

Wizard World's Columbus (Ohio) Comic Con, September 18-20, 2015
David Ramsey and Karl Yune

Rose City Comic Con, September 19-20, 2015 (Portland, OR)
Brandon Routh

Salt Lake Comic Con, September 24-26, 2015
John Barrowman and Alex Kingston (plus Robbie Amell)

NEW YORK COMIC CON, Oct. 8-11, 2015
No guests posted yet, but assume Arrow actors/producers will attend.

Heroes & Villans FanFest, November 21-22, 2015 (San Jose, CA)
Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Katie Cassidy, Caity Lotz and John Barrowman (also Robbie Amell)

Edited by tv echo

I hate Malcolm so much, that I can't stand to look at Barrowman anymore.  And I don't hate Malcolm because he's such an evil villain, I hate him because his continued presence on the show was a major cause of the idiocy of the S3 plot, and his continued state of being alive is one of the many reasons I now think Oliver is himself a moron. 

• Love 4

Malcolm doesn't even seem like an evil villain to me anymore, but he should! He drugged his daughter and made her murder her family friend so that Oliver could save his villain ass. Pure evil.

But, Malcolm just seems incredibly smarmy, and I blame Barrowman for that. All of these BTS pics show that he's a major ham, and he never turns it off.

Edited by EmeraldArcher
  • Love 2

Somebody said he's so hammy now that he's like a villain on that terrible 70s Batman show, and I thought that was really accurate.  I thought he was good as a villain in S1, but he's terrible now.  I need him gone.

• Love 4

she just need a pair of black gloves and.. black canary cosplayer costume.

Someone on twitter posted and side by side with the new suit promo and was like 'there's your Green Arrow and Fishnets.' I laughed.

• Love 7