Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Not everyone can dance. Sadly, that video proved some significant lack of rhythm & smoothness by SA. It still looks like he had fun, which I think is more important. Dance is about fun, so just let loose a little. I was never expecting him to be able to break out into a Broadway number or take the stage at some grand dance recital. But everyone can sway or twirl... that's all I ask for for OQ. And clearly SA has proven he can at least have fun. Now its time for OQ to do the same. :)

• Love 2

Wow, thanks for sharing all this information!

- Eliminating small voiced parts that appeared in the original script.  Many of the scripts Guy shot originally called for actors to come in for one or two lines; Bee worked with the writers to figure out alternative ways to stage/shoot these scenes so that the lines could either be eliminated entirely or voiced by the regular actors, since "studios always like to save money."

I had to say "ugh" out loud to this, because it is something I have NOTICED with the show in later seasons.  Especially season three started to feel like a play with only the regulars.  This isn't a good thing in a show where "the city" should be an extra character, because the whole thing starts to feel hollow.  I understand that actors cost money and speaking roles are even more costly, but I miss the crowded scenes at Big Belly Burger or the background action at QC.  It started to feel obvious to me that they were scrimping to save money, which made me start to resent places where money was obviously spent, like Ray's effects, when I didn't like them.

I know that budget drives choices on TV all the time, but the show has started looking cheap in places which have already been pointed out on this thread.  I hadn't realized until reading the above quote how much the day players also fed into that.

Additionally, can I point out that Felicity was brought on originally as a one-off, day play part.  I know they had more money then and were experimenting with things, but I feel sick to think that she literally could not have happened in season three because the networks want to cut costs.

• Love 13

I was meh on Tom Hiddleston until I caught his dance moves:

And it doesn't hurt that he went to Cambridge and speaks Spanish, French, Italian and Greek.

Is there anything the man can't do?  I go to Thor movies just to see him.  He's pretty good shirtless too.  The National Theatre put out some BTS vids of him rehearsing for Coriolanus.

• Love 5

Guy Bee was the director for the episode that brought Felicity in as a one-off, day player.  So that role stayed.

But yeah - in the first season almost every episode had at least one one-off appearance - the judges, Thea's various one-line friends, Cyrus Vanch's girlfriend in episode 13, the lawyer that came into Laurel's office after Joanna left, and so on. Not so much in the second season, and really not so much in the third season, and I would argue this detracts from one of the real strengths of Arrow's first season: the realism.  (To the extent where any show about a billionaire who likes to leap across roofs and shoot people with arrows can be called "realistic.")

• Love 8
It's pretty embarrassing how big of a crush I have on Tom Hiddleston :p I saw him play Caius in Coriolanus and it was just phenomenal.

I saw Coriolanus at the Donmar too and agree that he was fantastic. I even watched it a second time when NT Live screened it in the U.S.

I assume you've already seen this? I don't know much about Hank Williams or country music but I'll see it for TH.

Tom Hiddleston knows Greek? Omg my dream man. We can communicate in another language!

• Love 1

Season 3 was downright weird in how obvious they were trying to save money. Apparently no one besides Felicity and Ray worked at Palmer Inc, because as soon as it changed names, they never filmed with any extras on that set. Did Jerry (Gerry?), Felicity's EA, even get to speak in his one brief appearance?

• Love 3

I'm surprised this is happening - what if SA gets injured? Are TIIC that desperate to increase their male demo ratings? The third SA tweet was even retweeted by GB...

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood
Ok @StardustWWE -- you asked for it. See you next Monday. #AmellGetsRaw
CLh2e9uUkAAhDYa.jpg
6:50 PM - 3 Aug 2015

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/628382428344778757

Trish and I will be in heavy consultation all week.
Trish Stratus @trishstratuscom
Oh, and @amellywood, if u need any tips, I'm ur gal #championsecrets #winnerinsight #ringwisdom #grizzledvetran
@WWE
8:17 PM - 3 Aug 2015

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/628404386709008384

#AmellGetsRaw
CLiZTLjUMAA9WU0.jpg
9:22 PM - 3 Aug 2015

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/628420707853033473

Edited by tv echo

Nope, he just nodded and smiled and went to get Felicity coffee. His name also gets mentioned but we never see him in the Flarrow crossover. I do hope the actor/character returns and maybe even get some lines when/if Felicity takes over the company. I like the idea that she keeps him :)

I'm awfully curious now how the budget will affect sets this season, if Felicity/Oliver do indeed get a home together and what kind it will be. No one seems to live in a house on "Arrow." Except maybe for Roy, but his house is like a studio. Even Palmer's pad was basically the QC set with new furniture and dividers.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

One aspect that was lost without the extras was the conspiratorial relationships between the characters who had secret identities and missions to protect from the rest of the people in any location. There were lots of great moments--furtive looks and hushed tones, arm touching/guiding to a more private spot to hold a conversation in an otherwise public place, subterfuge, quick changes, etc. Even Verdant was empty most of the time, and never full when they bothered to show patrons.

• Love 4

I'm surprised this is happening - what if SA gets injured? Are TIIC that desperate to increase their male demo ratings? The third SA tweet was even retweeted by GB...

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/628382428344778757

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/628404386709008384

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/628420707853033473

Well Stardust is feuding with Neville currently. I'm thinking SA might not wrestle but help out Neville at Summerslam. Neville's finisher is called "Red Arrow"

I wasn't watching Arrow all that much in early S1 because I found it hard to like the main characters then, so I never saw these tweets until today (someone posted them, I guess, as a 3rd anniversary thing)...

Emily Bett Rickards ‏@EmilyBett

First day on the set of #Arrow today? Dont mind if I do. #acting #DCcomics #super

9:43 AM - 3 Aug 2012

https://twitter.com/EmilyBett/status/231430109268168705

tumblr_inline_nsirmnPM5Q1sd8y98_500.png

(source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

I don't know why the WB store doesn't have it. There is an Arrow Action figure.

0761941326917_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg

There is also a Buckles one, that manages to make her look more like a dominatrix. 

Untitled_zpszlyeukbs.jpg

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

You actually think he's going to wrestle?  Don't most of the Guest Stars, just get in the ring, talk some shit and then give the dumb stares of anger?  Maybe he'll hit someone over the back of the head with folding chair and then slide through the ropes.  I don't think i've ever seen an actor or sports figure (other than former Wrestlers) that actually wrestled.  Most just get up in the ring, climb the ropes and act like peacocks LOL. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

I don't know why the WB store doesn't have it. There is an Arrow Action figure.

0761941326917_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg

There is also a Buckles one, that manages to make her look more like a dominatrix. 

Untitled_zpszlyeukbs.jpg

I never noticed those diagonal straps on the thigh holsters. Wouldn't that hinder any leg movement?

This is the costume that just keeps giving.

• Love 3

That costume looks like it takes at least an hour to put on. Then she has to put on her lipstick too.

No wonder Laurel's not in any of the big moments on the show, she's too busy getting ready. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8

You actually think he's going to wrestle?  Don't most of the Guest Stars, just get in the ring, talk some shit and then give the dumb stares of anger?  Maybe he'll hit someone over the back of the head with folding chair and then slide through the ropes.  I don't think i've ever seen an actor or sports figure (other than former Wrestlers) that actually wrestled.  Most just get up in the ring, climb the ropes and act like peacocks LOL

So SA is pretty much perfect for this right?

• Love 10

I never noticed those diagonal straps on the thigh holsters. Wouldn't that hinder any leg movement?

This is the costume that just keeps giving.

I believe those straps are supposed to mimic garter belts. Why? I have no idea. That costume doesn't make an ounce of sense. 

rs_634x950-141112100802-634.Katie-Cassid

• Love 1

That costume looks like it takes at least an hour to put on. Then she has to put on her lipstick too.

No wonder Laurel's not in any of the big moments on the show, she's too busy getting ready. 

Don't forget her matching nail polish--those gloves are fingerless for a reason!

However, she saves some time by skipping the blackout around her eyes, like everyone else who wears a mask. So, there's that.

Because it's so important to look pretty and feminine and sexy when you're beating the crap out of people. So. Dumb. 

Though I had a real problem with the exposed cleavage of Sara's costume too. 

Princess Leia had no problem kicking butt while wearing functional, practical clothing (With the exception of the Jabba-kini. And that wasn't her choice. Okay, the white dress from A New Hope wasn't so great either. But I digress).

Edited by Menrva
  • Love 3

Princess Leia had no problem kicking butt while wearing functional, practical clothing (With the exception of the Jabba-kini. And that wasn't her choice. Okay, the white dress from A New Hope wasn't so great either. But I digress).

In fairness, Leia wasn't planning on doing any butt-kicking in that white dress. It was her equivalent of the maxi dress for comfortable, intergalactic travel.

• Love 5

Do any of you have the link of the interview in SDCC 15 where Caity said that Sara was talking about Felicity when she told Oliver he needs to find someone to harness his light?

Never mind I found it!

Edited by wonderwall

I love that after Season 3, with Olicity not only canon but established as the main romance on Arrow, Emily seems more "free," for lack of a better word, to promote Olicity. She's generally stayed mum in past seasons. But this hiatus, there were several tweets about MTV Ship of the Year. And now this:

tumblr_nskpzoZoPG1tphqoao1_540.jpg

jbuffyangel does a nice job of summarizing, in animated gif form, SA's enthusiasm for the Oliver & Felicity dynamic...

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/125432967728/stephen-amells-complete-lack-of-a-poker-face

We're all familiar with THAT face Stephen made when told by an interviewer she felt Oliver was still in love with someone other than Felicity. That one's a classic. But my favorite has to be his answer to the question whether Felicity is the long game. THAT SMILE! :)

tumblr_inline_nsb1t9EVGp1shrb8p_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nsb1ubf5sw1shrb8p_500.gif

• Love 15

Nothing will ever top Stephen telling that one fan that Oliver and Felicity were gonna have sex in 320 two days after they filmed the scene. He had to tell someone who would ~*UNDERSTAND*~, because that's how fangirling works.

I'm still shocked he did that. That was a huge gamble.
  • Love 1

I would also add bringing up Felicity's scar with that dumb smug look on his face. 

Oh Stephen, never change.

Literally if the show ever went back to Oliver and Laurel for whatever apocalyptic reason, I want that lack of poker face. I want to think a Dementor is near every time someone brings up Laurel and Oliver. 

• Love 6

The boy has NO chill when it comes to his fangirling. I love it. IF they ever moved away from Olicity, I wonder what he would demand in his contract to help ease his pain & promote positive interviews.

• Love 3

I had to look him up. Then realized I just googled 'Speed Weed' from my work computer. LOL

His credits include Haven, L&O: SVU (wrote an episode titles 'Mask' ironically), NCIS: LA, etc.

Tempted to watch his Haven episodes again.

• Love 1

Maybe he just learns about trick arrows in the Flashbacks? That's what I"m hoping for or if it's just a call out to the text since it seems 4-3 might be Sara's return.

Does the Arrow Production Office pose with every new actor that comes on set?...

Arrow Prod. Office ‏@ArrowProdOffice  15h15 hours ago
Goofing off and striking a pose with @Misskatrinalaw and @EchoK!
CLnHQ2iUEAAjR8j.jpg

https://twitter.com/ArrowProdOffice/status/628752721353535488

Arrow Prod. Office ‏@ArrowProdOffice  Aug 4
Ok #Arrow fans, let's give a warm welcome to @iamjrbourne! #ArrowSeason4
CLlEaI6UAAAOSbE.jpg

https://twitter.com/ArrowProdOffice/status/628608849512165377

Edited by tv echo