Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Now, wait just a darn tootin' minute. He's singing Jason Mann's song that Jason sings with Jensen.  What is going on here? Look Stephen you get to share Jared with Jensen...can't Jensen have his song with Jason?  LOL. 

These boys are all a bunch of hilarious goobers. 

• Love 1

404 must be a Laurel interacting episode since SA is always Meh about Laurel and Oliver.

I wonder if Roy will be back for episode 5? I know "He" could be anyone even Sexual but because of the new Thea LI, a triangle seems up The CW'S ally.

I wonder if the "meh" is sarcasm, and it's ultimately a big episode. 

I know CH said he'd be back, but I don't think it'll be for anything other than a small part. 

Does anybody remember if Stephen's reactions to previous episodes matched the general reaction after episode aired?

apinknightmare, I'm wondering the same thing. I can't imagine SA just dismissing an episode like that :P

Taking it to the speculations thread.

onlywiththeheartcansee asked:

Hi marc. Can you tell when we have Olicity photoshoot? All fans are dying for this, we can't wait. Thank you! xx

Photoshoots are organized by the network, not the studio nor the show.  That said, it’s my understanding that Felicity will be a part of the next Arrow photoshoot.  Hope that helps.

crazyboldninja asked:

When are you going to release the trailer for season 4? Also, which episode are you currently filming?

We’re currently filming Ep. 402.  I’d like to have a bit more footage from multiple episodes before we release a Season 4 trailer.

colorlessmindss asked:

WHEN IS THE SEASON 4 TRAILER COMING OUT IM DESPERATE

We’re still only just shooting Episode 402.  I really want the Season 4 promo to be based on footage from more than just the first 2 episodes.  It’ll be worth the wait, I promise!

geeky-monkey-is-the-new-black asked:

What has been the most challenging part about integrating the Legends of Tomorrow with Arrow and the Flash?

So far, it hasn’t been difficult.  But then again, we haven’t started shooting those pieces yet.  That said, when we do, I suspect that the most challenging part is getting all the actors’ schedules to line up.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo

New non-spoilery posts from MG at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/ 
(spoilery posts have been added to the Spoilers thread per the updated spoiler rules, b-t-s posts have been added to the Slings and Arrows thread, and a comics post has been added to the Green Arrow in Comics thread)...

smoakd asked:
I wanted to take this time to thank you for creating the gorgeous character that is Felicity. There’re a few people who like to complain that all Felicity did was whine and cry this season, but they forget that without Felicity and her support Laurel would probably have never donned that mask again, Oliver would’ve died, Ray wouldn’t have had his suit, Barry probably would’ve died in the Flash, Lyla would’ve died at the hands of the Boomerang, Starling would’ve perished. She is a true role model

Thank you!  All the credit goes to Emily for portraying her and you guys for supporting her.

smoakandarrow asked:
I read your EW response re Diggle/Green Lantern & was thrilled that Arrow has its own plans or him that excites you. Diggle's a fabulous character (on Arrow & in the comics) & I think both he & Felicity have both earned the right to blaze a trail with unique hero destinies w/o having to become "someone else" just because it fits a preexisting comic role. Who knows where that could lead them (and DC Comics) one day. Maybe they'd even inspire comic titles of their own for future generations.

Diggle and Felicity have already joined the DC Comics universe!  Something we’re all very proud of!

buffydairsolicity asked:
Sending some random love. Didn't think I'd fall in love with characters so strongly after Buffy and Veronica Mars, but you got me with Felicity. And Oliver. And Diggle. Those three mean so much to the show, and I love tuning in to see what you all have in store for them. Thanks for writing such an amazing trio, and for creating an amazing woman in Felicity. She's inspiring, brave, funny and utterly adorable. Hope to see more of her story, both with Oliver and as her normal hero self ;)

Thank you so much!  Comparison to Buffy and Veronica is high praise indeed!

tv-smoak asked:
Hey Guggie!!! some people have been implying (and openly saying) that Felicity is a woman with loose moral (you know what I mean) for having kissed 3 guys and slept with 2 this year. As a man, what do you think? i mean about these people. I know you don't believe that bc a woman has had 2 relationships in a year is anything but normal. xx

Far be it for me to avoid the temptation to wade into political correctness on the Internet…
I believe women are free to do as they please, the same way men are, so long as their actions don’t hurt anyone else.  Everyone’s mileage may vary, but I certainly don’t see anything wrong with Felicity being intimate with Ray and Oliver last year.  She had genuine feelings for both of them.  (And even if she didn’t, it’d still be okay.)

If people put 50% of the energy they spend judging fictional characters for their alleged immorality into calling out elected officials for their actual immorality, the world would be a much better place.

lisam100 asked:
I'm sorry you've been receiving hate and complaints about fan service, like they know what's best for the show. They don't see the plans you have for the coming seasons or the vision you have for the series. The relationship between Oliver and Felicity is SO beautiful and it's an important part of the show. It's my favourite part! It's pure gold!! So please keep up the excellent writing you've done in developing their relationship organically! We love them!! Thanks!

Thank so much!

bkwurm1 asked:
Loved your and Wendy's interviews from Comic-con. So excited for season 4. I have a question though that goes back to the pilot episode. In Laurel's first scene, she overhears a news report reporting that Oliver was returning to Starling City. Could you tell me if this was intended to show Laurel finding out for the first time that Oliver is alive or was it just her hearing yet another report on Oliver? Thanks for your help. There are bragging rights at stake here. ;)

The news report was how Laurel found out that Oliver was still alive.  I hope that helps.

blueberrymayrose asked:
I just finished rewatching season 3, and I have to say that I am just so happy and excited. That you had a female character who was pushed aside by the male character for 'her own good', and instead of writing her sitting back and chastely pining away waiting for the stars to align and the hero to work things out with her- you guys had her stand up, and live her life on her own terms, she owned her decisions and love life; she knew her worth. That's feminism in action, and not seen enough in TV!

Thank you!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The vids didn't play for me either but you can find them and others here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/olicitybex

Thanks so much for the videos. I was in the room and couldn't hear anything. Also, I was drunk. I'm such a goober that I didn't even meet SA because I waited too long, but I saw him bunches. Beyond all that, I met so many really fun people, and even without saying anything to SA, had an absolute blast. 

• Love 1

I unexpectedly ended up attending a panel and later hanging out for a bit with Arrow director Guy Bee this weekend. A lot of this has already been discussed on this thread, or come out in other interviews, but some production tidbits that I thought might interest some of you:

1. Arrow books their directors well in advance - often months in advance - but the directors generally don't get shooting scripts until a couple of days before the prep work.

2. Most episodes involve about eight days prep, eight days shooting - a tight, exhausting schedule.  Early in the season, when they still have months before an episode airs, things are relatively relaxed, since going slightly over the filming schedule isn't a huge issue at that point, but towards the end of the season, when an episode is going to air just three or four weeks post shooting, there's a lot of pressure.

3. Prep work includes location scouting (major location shots are booked months in advance, but smaller scenes - like a scene in a bar, for instance - can be booked sooner) - where Guy works with the people on location to determine if/how that site would work. It also includes planning the action sequences with the stunt team and sometimes the actors, and working out lighting, camera shots and tracking shots. Guy tends to take a lot of notes during this process.

4. Guy usually spends the last three days of prep and the first three days of shooting working with one of the writers; sometimes a writer will be there for the entire episode. Script changes continue throughout the shooting process. Some of this is from the showrunners, some from the networks.  (The "s" is there on purpose - there are separate CW and WB comments.)

5. Guy also works with/takes feedback from the actors when they have ideas to simplify shots/scenes or think something would look "cool." That often involves getting additional feedback from the writer and the showrunners. In the first season, some of the actors were still unsure about their characters/what they should be doing in a particular scene. By the second season, most of Arrow's actors tended to know their characters very well, making some later scenes more of a collaborative effort, with actors bringing in input during table reads and shooting.   

6. In episode 3, Arrow was still getting a sense of the look and feel for the show - they'd already realized that the voiceovers weren't working well at all, and knew they were eliminating those, but were still tinkering with other aspects, and asked Guy to help with that, which allowed for a lot of experimentation. With later episodes, like "Deathstroke," the look/feel was already set, so Bee had less creative input, but was still working to make the episode as "cinematic" as possible.

7. Speaking of which - the general goal he has as an Arrow director is to make everything look like as much of a movie as possible, while also trying to follow the general television dictates of "save as much money as possible."  (This later led into two separate discussions of the differences between film/television/animated episodes, the type of people you meet in all three instances and budget things.) This can include:

- Choosing location shooting based on lighting needs, since lighting = money. Arrow often goes small in location sets for that reason. The other reason is that Arrow sometimes wants a cramped, claustrophobic look for dramatic tension purposes.  

- Eliminating small voiced parts that appeared in the original script.  Many of the scripts Guy shot originally called for actors to come in for one or two lines; Bee worked with the writers to figure out alternative ways to stage/shoot these scenes so that the lines could either be eliminated entirely or voiced by the regular actors, since "studios always like to save money."

- Keeping the camera in motion during action shots.

- Having actors move during dialogue whenever possible, or fight during dialogue - for instance, the Isabel/Oliver confrontation in "Deathstroke."

This wasn't specifically said, but in general, my sense was that Guy really prefers to have a scene proceed visually instead of verbally - for instance, if he can have the camera show Slade walking around, he prefers that to having a character say "Hey, Slade's here!"  

8. Arrow shoots digitally, not on film, which for him makes watching daillies these days really boring - with film, you're trying to see if you got the shot at all, and what you got. With digital, you know what you have immediately, and you don't have the sound effects/music yet.

9. His favorite part of working with Arrow: the action sequences.  

• Love 22

Weird that the news report that we saw was how Laurel found out.  Also weird that her first reaction was not full-on jaw-dropped unable to move astonishment.

Really weird. Based on her pissy reaction, I always assumed she'd already heard about it and didn't want to be reminded of it any further. 

• Love 6

Really weird. Based on her pissy reaction, I always assumed she'd already heard about it and didn't want to be reminded of it any further.

Weird, but consistent. Her first reaction to seeing Sara alive was to scream and throw stuff at her in anger.
  • Love 5

That was our very first introduction into Laurel's "Me, Me, Me" personality. She just got up and turned off the tv that other people were watching. I get that it would be hard for her but that's why she could've just left the room. Then she did again when she wanted to gloat to Sara about her delusional fantasy relationship with Oliver. She probably threw the glass at Sara because their parents were paying too much attention to their not dead daughter and so she had to bring all the focus back to her and forcing Sara to leave. 

I know cheating with your sister's boyfriend is wrong and I would never do that do my sister. But if my sister was like Laurel, thoughts like that might have crossed my mind. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I really don't get what the big deal with Laurel turning off the TV is, and I'm not just talking about the reaction here, I've seen it in other places. It's rude, yeah, but she was upset, and it's not like she broke the thing. To me, it's not really any different than Felicity turning off the lights in the Foundry when she told Digg and Roy that there was no mission without Oliver after he died, and they were still standing down there in the dark while she walked off. It's a simple fix: you want the lights back, turn them on. You want to watch the TV again, find the remote.

• Love 6

Same, I didn't really think anything of Laurel turning off the TV nor did I think anything of Felicity turning off the lights. Laurel was a new character at that point so I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. But I think Laurel lost me when she was openly hostile towards Oliver in front of her client. At that point I just didn't like her.

• Love 2

If someone just walked up and turned off the tv while I was watching it, I would be like WTF?

It was a public tv and a bunch of other people were watching. The world doesn't revolve around her and her problems. Yes, they could just turn it back on but it was unnecessary for her to turn it off in the first place.

Then as I said she did again when Sara was watching tv. She could've just left the room and with Sara she should've asked if she watching the tv. 

I didn't see the light thing with Felicity, so I don't know the context it was in. But I do think it's still rude to turn off the lights when other people are still in the room. It's again, yes they can turn the lights back on, but why should they have to, if the other person knew they were still there? 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I'm not even talking about her selfishness or rudeness or whatever.  I just can't imagine any initial reaction beyond jaw-dropped gaping astonishment.  I mean, her boyfriend who was dead, for five years, turns out to be alive.  That is simply shocking.  I always figured she'd already heard and that was just her first time seeing it on the news with others around. 

I guess you gotta give her this, she recovers from utterly shocking news really, really quickly. 

• Love 4

I don't mind Laurel turning off the TV either, I think it's a clear way to show the audience how she felt about Oliver being back. They had one scene to set up who Laurel was, and they did it: she's a social justice lawyer, and she hates Oliver Queen.

I also don't mind that she told Oliver she wished he stayed dead, it's again quick shorthand to display how they wanted Laurel/Oliver to be. I suppose that was the set up to contrast L/O with the planned Laurel/Hood partnership. She apologized to him later in the episode anyway.

And then Oliver was fake-nasty to Laurel in the next beat, and I knew this relationship would never ever work. EVER. I'm just glad the showrunners realized it too.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 7

I don't mind Laurel turning off the TV either, I think it's a clear way to show the audience how she felt about Oliver being back. They had one scene to set up who Laurel was, and they did it: she's a social justice lawyer, and she hates Oliver Queen.

I also don't mind that she told Oliver she wished he stayed dead, it's again quick shorthand to display how they wanted Laurel/Oliver to be. I suppose that was the set up to contrast L/O with the planned Laurel/Hood partnership. She apologized to him later in the episode anyway.

And then Oliver was fake-nasty to Laurel in the next beat, and I knew this relationship would never ever work. EVER. I'm just glad the showrunners realized it too.

To me that didn't tell me she was upset that Oliver was back. It was the look she gave to her co-workers as though they had done something to her by watching and that she was mad at them more than being upset about Oliver. I thought why not have her just run out of the room. Or ask her coworkers to please not watch that. Then we might have had some sympathy. I just saw this petulant teenager being mad other people.  It was just a weird scene that unfortunately set a tone that I don't think Laurel ever recovered from.

• Love 4

Storming out of the room would've conveyed the same message (and gained her more sympathy) then making her look like she thinks the world revolves around her feelings. Half those people probably didn't even know her relationship to Oliver and just saw some newbie Lawyer turn off the tv with a bitchy look on her face. I would've loved if they did turn the tv back on and ignored her. They wanted to see what was going, it was big news. 

• Love 1

In the pilot script there's a line that says Laurel shuts off the TV right when the reporter is about to say Sara LANCE. I haven't seen the pilot in forever, is that what happens? So the original intent was that Laurel was stopping her co-workers from watching the news, probably because she didn't want anyone in the office to connect her to Oliver.

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Arrow_1x01_-_Pilot.pdf

SMASH TO:

LAUREL and OTHERS in front of a TV.  The Starling EVENING
NEWS.  An ANCHOR reports, that now-familiar photo of Oliver
chyroned behind her --  

ANCHOR (ON TV)
-- Mr. Queen has reportedly
confirmed he was the only survivor
of the accident that took the lives
of seven people --
(a young BLONDE WOMAN’S
PHOTO replaces Oliver’s)
-- including local resident, Sara --

CLICK

Laurel intentionally snaps the TV off before we can
hear her last name.  She just stares at the black screen.

They should've made that much more clear, since it seems none of us got that. The people like me thought Laurel was being rude and others thought it was to explain Laurel's whole character in regards to Oliver. I don't think any of us got that it was about not wanting to be recognized because of her sister. 

They should've let that continue, then had the office turn to look at her and she gets up and runs out of the room. Of course that would've made it about Sara more than Oliver, which may have actually been better. Sympathizing with one of the lead is instrumental in liking the character. I also would've helped explain Laurel's rude and abrasive behavior with Oliver later. 

• Love 1

I try to be consistent about giving people a pass for their behavior during legit acute emotional crises not of their own making (so, you know, not Oliver).  So while I think she was rude, I'm going to give her a pass, because apparently, she JUST found out he was alive, and that information, for me, definitely qualifies as a legit acute emotional crisis.  Just like I gave Felicity a pass for her nasty comment to Oliver re having no feelings right after Sara died, but not for her nasty comment about him wanting Ray dead (finding out Ray was the ATOM doesn't qualify as an legit emotional crisis for me).  But again, how could she not be totally floored by that information?  I will rewatch tonight, but I don't remember her seeming very surprised.  Just pissed.  We saw how shocked she was when she found out he was dead (also from the news - another parallelism?), she dropped a plate.  But when she found out that he was alive, after five years of definitely, for sure, knowing he was dead, she just bypassed shock entirely.

• Love 3

If someone just walked up and turned off the tv while I was watching it, I would be like WTF?

It was a public tv and a bunch of other people were watching. The world doesn't revolve around her and her problems. Yes, they could just turn it back on but it was unnecessary for her to turn it off in the first place.

Under normal circumstances, sure. But she was in an office environment where all of her coworkers were gaping at a news story about her ex boyfriend and dead sister who ran off behind her back, when she had apparently just found out that the ex was still alive. It's rude, but understandably emotional. I honestly don't understand what the issue is. 

• Love 3

They should've made that much more clear, since it seems none of us got that. The people like me thought Laurel was being rude and others thought it was to explain Laurel's whole character in regards to Oliver. I don't think any of us got that it was about not wanting to be recognized because of her sister.

Yeah, I got "Laurel hates Oliver" from that scene, instead of the fact that she was actively impeding her co-workers from figuring out Oliver and Sara cheated on her, but I'm fine with her turning off the TV either way.

• Love 1

In the pilot script there's a line that says Laurel shuts off the TV right when the reporter is about to say Sara LANCE. I haven't seen the pilot in forever, is that what happens? So the original intent was that Laurel was stopping her co-workers from watching the news, probably because she didn't want anyone in the office to connect her to Oliver.

No, she turned off the TV right after the anchor mentioned that Sara Lance was lost in the accident, and she was survived by her sister Laurel. I always figured it was a big story, everyone knew about it, and she was embarrassed. One of the guys in the background even looked down when she walked past him before she turned off the TV. (I just rewatched)

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

Did the rest of the people in the office know about her issues? I'm going to guess not. So to them it was rude and to me it was rude. It wasn't a favorable introduction to her character. Especially since it could've been conveyed in a number of different ways without showing us she was thinking only of herself and her issues. As myself and other have pointed out running out of the room would've been the better and more sympathetic option 

Then they had Laurel do it again with Sara. If it doesn't bother you, fine. It does bother me. I would hate for someone to just turn of something I was watching. That is my issue with it.

My issues with Laurel are more than just that. Everything else she's done is far worse. So it's not a big deal, but it wasn't a good start for her. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

No, she turned off the TV right after the anchor mentioned that Sara Lance was lost in the accident, and she was survived by her sister Laurel. I always figured it was a big story, everyone knew about it, and she was embarrassed. One of the guys in the background even looked down when she walked past him before she turned off the TV. (I just rewatched)

Oh, thank you! Yeah, embarrassed, mortified, and forever angry at Oliver, so she turned off the TV and stormed off. I'm good with that.

Another thing is if she hadn't done it again with Sara, I probably would not have been reminded of it. 

Back to the topic, I can't believe that's what they wanted to go with Laurel's first reaction to finding out Oliver's not dead. 

• Love 1

I think for me he TV scene from the pilot doesn't work in terms of making me sympathetic to Laurel is that she doesn't look shocked by her action. What I mean is, if she were to shut the TV and than do a "snap out of it" sort of move and shockingly look at the remote as if she can't believe she just did it and than quietly say "i'm sorry" shaking her head and than run out.... than i could buy that it was the shock that drove her to act that way; but KC never played it that way- to my recollection.. I can't seem to find the scene on youtube.

• Love 3

So apparently Stephen said in Austin that "“Felicity can’t cook.”

IDK why but that made me smile ridiculously because it confirms my headcanon of her. I feel a little vindicated. 

Also, because Oliver cooking will be all sorts of hilarious. That's something I'd like to see lmao

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 12

Much as I dislike Guggenheim's answers to many questions he's been asked, the one where he shuts down all suggestion of slut-shaming Felicity is top notch - "And even if she didn't, it'd still be okay".

• Love 10

So apparently Stephen said in Austin that "“Felicity can’t cook.”

IDK why but that made me smile ridiculously because it confirms my headcanon of her. I feel a little vindicated. 

Also, because Oliver cooking will be all sorts of hilarious. That's something I'd like to see lmao

Same. I've always had that head canon too, weirdly! It just seems so appropriate somehow. She's pretty much a genius who can do crazy things but can't master the art of cooking. I love it.

I hope Felicity can bake though, while Oliver does better with cooking

.  Baking is science, while cooking is an art.

And now I understand why SA refuses to let Oliver dance :p

That was just unbelievably painful.

• Love 4

Much as I dislike Guggenheim's answers to many questions he's been asked, the one where he shuts down all suggestion of slut-shaming Felicity is top notch - "And even if she didn't, it'd still be okay".

In three years she had sex with two men, and kissed one other. That is closer to prudish than slutty. However, I will FOREVER wish there had been more time between Ray and Oliver (or, you know, no Ray at all).

• Love 5

I had no issues with felicity's extracurricular bedroom activities this season. She is no where near a slut. But this is why I had fundamental issues with the writers choosing to place the break up in e20 for plot & symmetry purposes. It should have happened in 19. If ray was such a good guy & they maintained their friendship she still could have borrowed the jet.

But yeah, I loved the way MG handled that question. So far he seems better on tumblr.

• Love 2

http://kalichica12.tumblr.com/post/125790869910/captain-dancing

And now I understand why SA refuses to let Oliver dance :p

That was just unbelievably painful.

Yeah, SA isn't just being modest when he says, repeatedly, "I don't dance."

Just as well. He can't be good at everything physical, although it sure would be fun to watch him tackle dancing.

Dancing is up there with foreign-language speaking and musical-instrument playing for me. Cases in point: piano- and viola-playing Jeremy Northam and French-speaking Bradley Cooper.

I was meh on Tom Hiddleston until I caught his dance moves:

And it doesn't hurt that he went to Cambridge and speaks Spanish, French, Italian and Greek.

[Edited because: when I post from my phone I sometimes can't get YouTube videos to embed correctly.]

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 5