Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I'll take the lack of sleeves if it gives me a kinder gentler happier quipper Oliver. No question.

Wait, so it was the sleeves making him emo all this time?  Shoot!  As an old Veronica Mars fan, I should have realized.  *shakes fist at emo sleeves*

• Love 7

Actually that makes sense to me. I knew if they wanted Oliver/Felicity to be a couple, one of them was going to have to change. Either Felicity becomes mopey and depressed or he somehow becomes lighter and funnier. I honestly didn't think they'd actually consider changing Oliver, but if they're really going to do that? I say go for it. Maybe this is also part of his becoming closer to the comics GA, idk.

Although it's probably a reaction to all the acclaim The Flash got for being so light and fun.

(edited)

I mean come on. It's a fucking metropolis. How can they justify renaming a huge city?

Right, this has been my problem with it from the get-go. We talked about it somewhere on this forum back in the winter. I just don't think a huge city would rename, period. I think its citizens would have a stubborn pride about the city, the name, what they've all survived, etc. If they wanted it to be Star City like the comics, they should have just named it that from the beginning. Since they didn't, it is kinda ridiculous to just change it with so little fanfare around it (aside from Ray proposing it early on). I think it actually happened in S3, but we never saw it--I'm pretty sure Ray casually referred to it Star City at some point late in the season--and now I think they're just gonna go with it and that's that. Just like Black Canary getting her name. 

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 7

Yeah I agree they just want everyone to know its not gonna be all angst all the time.Last year they were teasing the date but still made it clear that it was gonna go wrong.I think they're gonna let Olicity be happy for awhile.Maybe her dad or Connor brings the problems.

• Love 1
(edited)

Diggle doesn't get a mask, but a helmet?!

He's RoboCop?!

ETA okay I think that photo was a joke . Massive sigh of relief

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

I'm loving the fact that Felicity is getting a best friend. TBH I don't care about the inconsequential things like the name of the city or the sleeves (even though I just relaly don't think it's practical) give the comic people the inconsequential things, but I'd like to keep my eyes on the prize AKA Digg getting a huge story, Felicity growing and getting a huge story, Oliver/Felicity working together, Oliver/Diggle becoming friends again, Felicity/Thea scenes etc. 

I hope that this happens. 

• Love 8

....Mr. Terrific as a villain?

This is what I read:

Beyond Damien Darhk, there’s “another big one coming,” in terms of DC Comics villains.

Guggenheim says Anarky (best known from Batman comics) and Mr. Terrific will be coming to the show.

This version of Mr. Terrific is gay, adding a new LGBT character to the show.

I don't know who Mr. Terrific is, so maybe I misunderstood this quote.

I don't really think it's a huge issue that a big city would change its name? Indian cities have done it, it could happen in America too? Like Madras became Chennai, Bangalore became Bengaluru, etc. 

Mr. Terrific is going to be Felicity's best friend :p not a villain

• Love 1

It's supposed to be a lighter season. Do you really think they'd kill off the love of Oliver's life and it'd still be a lighter season?! LOL no. He'd be devastated and certainly wouldn't be making jokes.

I don't think Olicity will be without problems though. Clearly outside issues are going to cause trouble. But I really doubt Felicity dies.

• Love 5

This is what I read:

Beyond Damien Darhk, there’s “another big one coming,” in terms of DC Comics villains.

Guggenheim says Anarky (best known from Batman comics) and Mr. Terrific will be coming to the show.

This version of Mr. Terrific is gay, adding a new LGBT character to the show.

I don't know who Mr. Terrific is, so maybe I misunderstood this quote.

Ah, ok. Anarky is the villain. Both Mr. Terrifics are Justice League members. I'm assuming this is the second one.

• Love 1

I don't really think it's a huge issue that a big city would change its name? Indian cities have done it, it could happen in America too? Like Madras became Chennai, Bangalore became Bengaluru, etc. 

But wasn't that because those cities wanted to go back to there cultural roots?

It's one thing to rename a city of like I dunno 30000 like a suburb like La Mesa, CA but quite another to rename a city of ostensibly 2 million people or more. And I don't think that happens too often in the United States. To me renaming Starling City is like renaming Chicago or San Francisco. You just don't do it.

• Love 3

I don't mind the sleeveless look on Hawkeye but so far Oliver's looks like he has a tee and shoulder pads for a sporting event or Swat team gear but hasn't put his shirt on yet.

I am also reminded of Hawkeye. I love Hawkeye's suit; I'm not totally feeling this new Arrow one. I'm with those who are feeling the Arrow of old that I fell in love with are gone, though. 

I need pics of DR's outfit because what people here are describing sounds terrible. 

Well, as they've said on the show, Starling City went through two terrorist attacks plus the bioweapon attack, and is draining its population. Maybe they have decided to go with the rebranding effort. 

• Love 1

But wasn't that because those cities wanted to go back to there cultural roots?

It's one thing to rename a city of like I dunno 30000 like a suburb like La Mesa, CA but quite another to rename a city of ostensibly 2 million people or more. And I don't think that happens too often in the United States. To me renaming Starling City is like renaming Chicago or San Francisco. You just don't do it.

Yeah, and Starling wants to change its name to revamp its image? I see no big deal becaues the last 3 years has been shitty for Starling. 

• Love 1

Yeah, was the Star City thing mentioned at all after 3.01? I remember thinking they dropped the ball on that one.

Count me in as a No on the sleeveless new costume, along with the shoulder pads. Just looks odd. Seeing it up closer, they did keep some design elements from the previous suit, but I'm still not loving it. Does make me appreciate my arrow statue a little bit more. (They did a nice job showing all the little details on it.)

Oh and I have to side-eye whoever mentioned the current costume designer did the suit all the way back to the first season. Hopefully it was just a mistake on the part of the live blog guy.

• Love 1

As long as there are good character moments and good stunts, I'm fine with the costumes (except for that ridiculous helmet???) and I'm fine with the renaming of the city because it'll only come up like what, a couple of times next season? 

• Love 2
(edited)

She may have been a minor designer, they probably had one major designer and than a few more minor to assist and provide extra input.

ETA: I don't know guys.. I think I am on the fence for this season. I was willing to suffer through buckles this season if they would prove to me that they can lightly use her and give me more of the good stuff. I can deal with the fanatical stuff because.. you know this is a show based on comic books. But the more I hear and read about this season the less excited I become.. that suit is the killer for sure. I may not watch live this coming year. we'll see, any excitement I had kind of died now. if they are turning this into Green Arrow Comics lite I may have to check out.. because to me that outfit tells me that that they may just separate Oliver and Felicity by the end of the show to reunite Oliver and Laurel..

that outfit looks like the love child of the Smallville costume meeting the Hood meeting TNMT meeting Hawkeye Meeting Robin Hood... meeting some army something. I can't. I'm gonna go and try and study tonight.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

Well, as they've said on the show, Starling City went through two terrorist attacks plus the bioweapon attack, and is draining its population. Maybe they have decided to go with the rebranding effort. 

Well, right, that was the show's argument. My point is that I don't agree that it would ever happen in the US with a city that size. No matter what happened there, unless all that was left was a smoking crater and they were literally starting over from Citizen 1, Building 1.

• Love 3

I just don't think that's something an American city would do. Like if they went from Starling City to I dunno, Dullsville...maybe but it's still keeping Star in the name...so how much are they trying to move away from the past y keeping all but 4 letters of the name.

Also, the attacks on the Glades didn't destroy the entire city. NYC didn't rebrand after 9/11 or the first WTC bombing or all the other stuff. 

It just doesn't hold up for me. I mean it's not enough to keep me awaay but it's just another nail in the Awesome Arrow golden years of s1 and s2. 

• Love 4

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam.  (Sorry, had to)  I'm fine with the name change, though I do hope they address the WHEN it happened on the show and don't just have people calling it Star City from the jump.

Love that Felicity's getting a best friend.  Another superhero?  *sigh*

• Love 2
(edited)

Favorite quote of the day:

“I have a Sugar Mama now.”

—  Stephen on in reference to Felicity when asked if Oliver will ever be a billionaire again
Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 22
(edited)

They should've just given him a full helmet like Daft Punk.

Right? If he's going for an identity concealer, be thorough with it. 

Oliver's arm guards are going to bug me as much as Laurel's fingerless gloves did in season 3. I can't believe SA didn't have some input on them, since I'm pretty sure he made fun of Hawkeye's at one point.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

Favorite quote of the day:

“I have a Sugar Mama now.”

—  Stephen on in reference to Felicity when asked if Oliver will ever be a billionaire again

And then Emily joked she was "making it rain." LMAO. These two give me life. 

As for the costume, I don't really care, TBH. I'm much more interested in what the characters are doing this season then what they're wearing. And I'm really pleased that it sounds like mopey Oliver is as gone as his sleeves.

• Love 5

Oh FFS show. That is so stupid with Diggle. Just make him John Stewart already.

No American city has gone through what Starling has in the span of 3 years though. So you can't really say that. 

Both were attacks by two crazy people.  I don't think an American city of that size would rebrand. Otherwise the crazy people win. 

NYC went through the worst terrorist attack soil that killed more people than Malcolm's attack.  They didn't rebrand. To me Starling City has always been the avatar for Chicago or Seattle or San Francisco.  Anyway, I think it's a bad idea.  Agree to disagree

• Love 1
(edited)

Both were attacks by two crazy people.  I don't think an American city of that size would rebrand. Otherwise the crazy people win. 

NYC went through the worst terrorist attack soil that killed more people than Malcolm's attack.  They didn't rebrand. To me Starling City has always been the avatar for Chicago or Seattle or San Francisco.  Anyway, I think it's a bad idea.  Agree to disagree

I agree. I think we best leave it as it is. Bringing up the very real terrorist attacks and comparing it to a fictional city is just not right in my books and is starting to make me really uncomfortable talking about this. 

ETA: I apologize for sort of spurring on this topic. It wasn't intentional. 

Edited by wonderwall