Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Yeah I think it's just better to address negativity in a different way. My dad always told me and my brothers that you can't always control a bad situation, but you can and should control your reaction to it. There will always be jerks online you can't control, but you can control yourself. I think that is especially true for actors, who have to learn to use interviews to promote themselves, their roles, etc without letting their ego get the better of them and without tearing down things they don't like and/or agree with. And that's not a dig at KC specifically - all actors have a healthy dose of ego, and she's no different. That weird Twitter war she got into is kind of proof of that IMO - it definitely could have been handled differently, so it (unfortunately) alters my perception of her. That's just the way it works when you're in the public eye. I don't pretend to know what she's like in real life since I've never met her. I don't think her fans or her enemies should pretend they know either. But perception? That's a whole different ball game, and PR is definitely a game that can be manipulated and controlled, and that's what she doesn't seem to be so good at. I find a lot of her interviews and public appearances off putting, and that could so easily be fixed. It's entirely possible for me to dislike a character but like the actor - Colton Haynes is a good example. Kristin Kreuk is another - I didn't follow Smallville fandom very closely, but Kristin was very personable in her appearances that I did see, and that helped me tolerate her character a lot better, even though I found Lana to be useless most of the time. That wasn't Kristin's fault - it was just the writing. With Arrow, KC is most often the one actor who seems to be off in her own little world rather than part of the Arrow fandom, and that's something good PR people can fix if you listen to them.

• Love 3

What amuses me is that it's another typical example of how she conducts interviews: the answer she gives has nothing to do with the question. It sure was a trick question, but I don't know if the comment on the "crazy fandom" from the interviewer was necessarily meant to be read in a negative light. Maybe he was alluding to the positive kind of crazy. You know, those fans who are so passionate about this show that organize twitter trends, make sure to be present at cons, follow your career beside the show, raise over a million dollar to support a charity you believe in, and are so invested in these characters you portray that they keep blog and discuss them on boards.

But she took that as a chance to complain about the hate, when apparently it was never mentioned in that question. He did ask if she just ignores it and keeps working, but I read it as "do you feel the pressure of such a fandom, are you afraid of disappointing them?"Maybe he meant that though, and I'm just being naive.

Either way, it was a problematic answer she gave. I remember an interview with Jennifer Morrison where, after being asked roughly the same question (how do they handle the passionate fans of OUAT), she very sensibly said how wonderful it was to have such fans, but that they can't be over-confident about the praise, because if you take into account and consider true the good, then you also have to take into account and consider true the bad. Watch and learn, KC.

• Love 5

Stephen at Dallas Con

B9QwHKiCMAIHdT8.jpg

David at Dallas Comic Con

B9QvQPnCYAEAEk6.jpg

John Barrowman at Dallas Comic Con

735647_640x640wc.jpg

LOL, why would she tweet that? Haha, oh my.

Well what she tag her Fashion site in the tweet of coming to Dallas. Probably her friend who lives in Dallas. But i just dont understand why publicize after you canceled a con in the same city.

Edited by Velocity23

Maybe it's work related to her fashion site? Still, it looks really bad when she's canceled so many appearances and then it turns out she's going to be in the city after all. The show should be her primary focus but she seems more interested in fashion than Arrow most of the time. If I had bought tickets to see her, I'd be pretty unhappy about her tweeting that tbh

Maybe it's work related to her fashion site? Still, it looks really bad when she's canceled so many appearances and then it turns out she's going to be in the city after all. The show should be her primary focus but she seems more interested in fashion than Arrow most of the time. If I had bought tickets to see her, I'd be pretty unhappy about her tweeting that tbh

Yeah, it seems like she might be going there for something to do with her website. But it probably would've been better to just be quiet about it since she canceled the con appearance, for the reason you mentioned. 

• Love 2

This fan comment to that SA pic (above) is hilarious:

Nicci Murphy Feel free to take out the one that has an issue dating Felicity!!!

24 · 40 minutes ago

I'm reminded of Farscape, when there were two Crichtons...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 15

Wow. I'm not a hater but KC doesn't make it easy when she does things like this. I hope her fans weren't too disappointed. Yikes.

Also that mini Felicity is adorable! Awwwwww.

Plus Barrowman is such a flirt. Look at him with DR. LOL.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2

It's so sweet that John Barrowman is an Elizabeth Sladen fan.  RIP, you were awesome.

Kristin Kreuk is another - I didn't follow Smallville fandom very closely, but Kristin was very personable in her appearances that I did see, and that helped me tolerate her character a lot better, even though I found Lana to be useless most of the time. That wasn't Kristin's fault - it was just the writing. With Arrow, KC is most often the one actor who seems to be off in her own little world rather than part of the Arrow fandom, and that's something good PR people can fix if you listen to them.

I remember an interview with Jennifer Morrison where, after being asked roughly the same question (how do they handle the passionate fans of OUAT), she very sensibly said how wonderful it was to have such fans, but that they can't be over-confident about the praise, because if you take into account and consider true the good, then you also have to take into account and consider true the bad. Watch and learn, KC.

Both Kristin Kreuk and Jennifer Morrison are smart ladies.    (Jennifer Morrison was the on the rest of the House cast went to to explain the medical terms (like Amanda Tapping, she made sure she knew what the jargon she was saying really meant) and Kristin Kreuk is one of the panelists on this year's Canada Reads.)

I get the sense that KC doesn't understand it when she makes a gaffe but I have never understood why the show doesn't get  her some p.r. coaching.

• Love 1

Aww, that whole family. So so sweet. 

SA has a panel going on now. I hope we get some good spoilers that don't make me dread the upcoming episodes anymore than I already do.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2

From Dallas Comic Con - about 50 minutes long, contains minor spoilers (already posted elsewhere), parts of this video are hilarious, audio is not great [videos with better audio are posted below]...

Stephen Amell Q&A - February 7, 2015
Published on Feb. 7, 2015, by Kate Gregorash

Significant clarification - SA disputes a fan's description of the ending 312 scene as Felicity "storming off".  Instead, he described it as Felicity "dropping a truth bomb and walking away."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

These videos have better audio (Part 1 is about 37 minutes, Part 2 is about 12 minutes)...

Stephen Amell Q&A Panel at Dallas Comic Con Fan Days 2/7/15 -part 1 of 2
Published on Feb. 7, 2015, by theceeb

Stephen Amell Q&A Panel Dallas Comic Con Fan Days 2/7/15 part 2 of 2
Published on Feb. 7, 2015, by theceeb

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Significant clarification - SA disputes a fan's description of the ending 312 scene as Felicity "storming off". Instead, he described it as Felicity "dropping a truth bomb and walking away."

I love Stephen Amell.

That KC thing, I hope she isn't really in Dallas and just bailing because that's kind of bad form. I'm not a fan do I wouldn't care but it seems reall stupid of her.

Mini felicity is adorbs!

• Love 1

I love Stephen Amell.

Mini felicity is adorbs!

So incredibly cute! I liked mom in old school BC garb (so I don't have to be sad about Sara or ragey about Laurel) I loved that her brother was in a red hoodie too. He even had the old Roy scowl down, lol.

Significant clarification - SA disputes a fan's description of the ending 312 scene as Felicity "storming off".  Instead, he described it as Felicity "dropping a truth bomb and walking away."

That's great. Hopefully that means the show wants us to agree with Felicity (and MG saying that stuff about Felicity molesting a kitten was just him being his usualy gross, troll-y self) and she'll be proven right sooner or later.

• Love 3

Barrowman..

About the time Stephen slept in his house recently and how it effected his husband. It's hilarious!

This is why Barrowman's so great.  Sure, the acting and all but what really great is that he's so generous, generous to the fans giving them credit for the great life that he has, and generous about SA.  Also, hilarious.

• Love 4

Listening to Barrowman gleefully cackle suddenly made me want him as the Joker in something, anything.  Someone start that campaign.

Naa! Barrowman deserve his own made up super villain. Wait does being the dark archer counts since it's technically Tommy who is the archer in the comics?

The show should be her primary focus

Not going to cons doesn't mean the show isn't her primary focus. 

She isn't filming and her second job required her...so she attended. Going to cons isn't on any job description (beyond SDCC)

Not going to cons doesn't mean the show isn't her primary focus. 

She isn't filming and her second job required her...so she attended. Going to cons isn't on any job description (beyond SDCC)

I don't care if she goes or not, and if she's not worried about disappointing her fans then I'm not going to worry about them being disappointed, but her people probably shouldn't have told the con that the reason she couldn't make it was because she'd be stuck in Vancouver (shooting, I guess). And it also probably wasn't a good idea for her to tweet that she was going to Dallas anyway after canceling an appearance she committed to.  

• Love 9

I can't imagine Stephen Amell turning down a con appearance so he could host a party for Nocking Point wine, and he actually makes money from that.

I think one of the reasons Arrow is a hit show because of the extracurricular work that SA puts into it, from his FB and tweets, to the interviews to his appearance at some many cons.   Your job is what you make it.  (And I wouldn't be surprised if Katie Cassidy's career is getting a boost from the work SA puts into promoting Arrow.  Even her interviews for The Scribbler described her as the actress from Arrow and her blog isn't well known.)

• Love 6