Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Oooh, first look at Katie Cassidy in action as Black Canary: "I'm the justice you can't run from." #Arrow #TCA15

Jesus Christ

Omg is that actually a line she says?! It reminds me of those cheesy lines David Caruso's character used to say in CSI: Miami just before he put on his sunglasses. 

Natalie Abrams ‏@NatalieAbrams

"She goes from avenging her sister to honoring her sister to becoming her sister." — @MzKatieCassidy #Arrow #TCA15 #BlackCanary

That's why she's looking too much like single white female to me tbh. Ugh, this could have been done so much better. 

What sickens me about that panel is that after all that Caity Lotz did to make BC the best female superhero on TV, KC is getting the really big spot on this huge panel of costumed superheroes and her character hasnt done goddamn thing to earn that spot. Caity Lotz is the one woman that should be there even if her character is dead.

• Love 17

David Ramsey: "Diggle is exceptional because he is exceptional." No doubt about that! #Arrow #TCA15

"Heroes don't need costumes!" - @david_ramsey on Diggle's lack of a mask #Arrow #TheFlash #TCA15

"I just like it when there's fight sequences with shirts off." John @Team_Barrowman on his hunky co-stars #Arrow #TheFlash #TCA15

• Love 5
Daniel Fienberg ‏@HitFixDaniel  4m  4 minutes ago

We have a big group, but I suspect NOBODY would have quibbled w/putting Emily Bett Rickards on this Heroes & Villains panel. #TCA15

https://twitter.com/hashtag/tca15?src=hash

Related conversation to that Daniel Fienberg tweet...

AnnM ‏@GeekTalk51  5m5 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel There's a lot of scratching of heads as to her exclusion

spicedrum ‏@spicedrum  4m4 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel @StilettoRoyalty TRUTH

Anetris ‏@StilettoRoyalty  4m4 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel Can the #FelicitySmoak fandom say, "Amen!"?

Michie ‏@michieww  4m4 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel I wish someone would ask about it and her chracter. (Felicity)

sara c ‏@wonderstruck20  4m4 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel please ask them why they didnt! I would LOVE to know their reasoning

A. Thena Agron ‏@AThenaAgron  3m3 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel @StilettoRoyalty That's been really disappointing. Heard the panel title was amended to "costumed" heroes/villains. *shrug*

Michie ‏@michieww  55s55 seconds ago

@HitFixDaniel @StilettoRoyalty  All of team arrow is on the panel except for Felicity.  Why exclude her? I really don't get it

Belle ‏@redpenandfern  28s28 seconds ago

@HitFixDaniel Hit the nail on the head.

Sblancap ‏@sblancap  3m3 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel @StilettoRoyalty completely agree. Almost shameful to have only ONE woman on the panel at all.  What year is this again?

Claire ‏@Boomtothemoon57  3m3 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel Yeeeah, what's up with that? If you find out, let us know. #FelicitySmoakIsAHero

Havein ‏@Havein  2m2 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel They obviously wanted Laurel to be the female focus, which wouldn't have happened if Emily was there.  #TCA15

Tammy Horlacher ‏@thorlacher  2m2 minutes ago

@HitFixDaniel While the panel seemed great from your tweets, this was very disappointing.

https://twitter.com/HitFixDaniel/status/554363507979063297

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

So all that BS about this is about costumed heroes and before that it's about heroes to explain why EBR wasn't invited ended up being exactly what we thought, pure BS.

Colton didn't even say anything about his arc...Diggle isn't getting a mask...

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

Bless DR for his shade. Damn right heroes don't need masks. I'm sick of that implication tbh.

Is the panel over? What was the point of it?

Michie ‏@michieww  55s55 seconds ago

@HitFixDaniel @StilettoRoyalty  All of team arrow is on the panel except for Felicity.  Why exclude her? I really don't get it

Belle ‏@redpenandfern  28s28 seconds ago

@HitFixDaniel Hit the nail on the head.

They left out all the other females on purpose to have Katie be the only female there.

• Love 6

Berlanti admitted after panel that they screwed up on that. RT @shipatadistance: between the two shows only one woman made the panel?

Yeah and its not like a femal actress who appeared on both your shows wasnt right in LA.

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 8

Yeah, I understand that the BC arc obviously needs promotion but it was really shitty to leave Emily out of that panel, considering all the other members of Team Arrow were there. They did mess up and it's so obvious why.

I believe they are bound to have a "Women of Arrow / Flash " panel to even things up in the future. (At some other event)

Still I wish they wouldn't have to make up for such an easily avoidable blunder.

I believe they are bound to have a "Women of Arrow / Flash " panel to even things up in the future. (At some other event)

Still I wish they wouldn't have to make up for such an easily avoidable blunder.

Did they say this? 

Did they say this? 

No, but I believe they have to do something like that in the future.

On a different note, I think David Ramsey is a gem and his remarks were golden, from what I can gather on twitter. I thought I cannot love this man more, and nope - still going stronger.

• Love 2

MG pisses me off does that idiot realize Felicity fans will be not happy hearing that Ray still mainly only interacts with Felicity! That SHE should be the focus of her storyline and not being used to Prop a Newbie who comes off as creepy crazy eyed wanna be Vigilante and isn't that well liked?? Nope it's about that unlikable witch who hasn't done a Goddamn thing to earn being BC!! He doesn't realize or doesn't care that it looks like he's mad Felicity is way more popular that Laurel

• Love 2

Others were also asking...

mcdimples ‏@redrubyhood  2m2 m inutes ago
what is #TCA15 and where is emily bett rickards
Emily Bett Fans Club ‏@EmilyBett_ES  2m 2 minutes ago
Sigo sin entender porque @EmilyBett no ha estado en el Panel de #Arrow y #TheFlash en #TCA15
Smoak ‏@Kayddelia 7m 7 minutes ago
Still scratching my head as to why emily isn't there! #arrow #TCA15
Gorda Estrógeno ‏@HelgaStarkey  7m 7 minutes ago
ME INDIGNA que no esté Emily Bett #TCA15 . Bue tan fangirl insoportable era.
Kristy Mauna ‏@kRissssM 8m 8 minute ago
Where was my girl Emily at though?! She's definitely part of what makes #Arrow so great. #TCA15
♣️ @balaisteack  8m 8 minutes ago
Where is my sunshine @EmilyBett #TCA15 ?
lydia rodgers ‏@lydiarodgers  8m 8 minutes ago
No #olicity or #FelicitySmoak questions :(:(:(:( #TCA15 #Arrow

And my favorite...

Lorraine ‏@bestforbidness  6m6 minutes ago
When there's no Emily is presence #Arrow #TCA15

B7GE26TCIAErmfz.jpg

https://twitter.com/hashtag/tca15?f=realtime&src=hash

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I hate Laurel but I feel sorry for KC after that panel.

I hope she won't be blamed for what is a PR major mess. She, an actress, has nothing imo to do with it. It must be horrible enough to feel that every other female actress on two shows weren't there, making it look as if no one would care about the character she plays otherwise (sorry, but that's totally how it comes off and I've already seen comments going this way, YMMV). TPTB push the Laurel character, they should trust Laurel all the way and allow her to be "one of the girls".

And seriously, after so many killing off female characters akin to fridging (when it wasn't a literal one...) in such a short time, and seeing so few actresses on the panel, I'm starting to question the misogyny of the showrunners.

Edit: I believe that TPTB realize that Ray isn't as popular as they wished he was. I think that by that time last year, The Flash pilot was already a done deal. Oops.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 8

TBH though most people only care about Felicity. Sure there are a few people tweeting about the lack women but most were just tweeting about how  EBR wasn't there 

Edited by ban1o

This panel felt like a PR miscalculation -- grandstanding all the white dudebros they scored as guest stars with comic book destinies, but the result was only super fluff questions were asked, because they're guest stars. I was following the #TCA15 tag earlier, during the TVD/Originals panel, and I haven't watched TVD in years, but the smaller panel brewed much more thoughtful questions about character development and storyarc, and crossover mechanics.

• Love 8

I would find that a little offensive.  They're more than just the women of ... it's demeaning.  We shouldn't have to point out how bad this all looks.

• Love 10

I'm trying to chalk it up to stupid PR doing stupid things but with the advent of Buckle Canary, the sidelining of the main fucking character Oliver Queen who I adore is just so aggravating and disappointing.

I am equally frustrated as an SPN fan. If this show continues with  what I believe is the trajectory from a cool show about Oliver Queen with the rogues gallery of villains and Oliver's sidekicks to being essentially the lesser Justice League featuring Buckle Canary and Oliver Queen that the my beloved SPN's ratings will suffer since it will be following this revamped Arrow. :(

Previously in this thread, I speculated that the almost all-male makeup of the TCA panel was driven partly by the CW's attempt to portray itself as a network that appealed to the male demo.  I just came across this article that seems pertinent to that speculation...

Pedowitz Promotes More Mature, More Male CW #TCA15
Says network in ‘preliminary discussions’ for third DC show
1/11/2015 03:00:00 PM Eastern  By: Daniel Holloway

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/pedowitz-promotes-more-mature-more-male-cw-tca15/136969

Pedowitz also hinted at future programming plans. The network, already home to Arrow and Flash, is in the early stages of considering a third show based on a DC Comics superhero property. “We are having some preliminary discussions in terms of expanding the Flash-Arrow universe.”
Edited by tv echo

This panel felt like a PR miscalculation -- grandstanding all the white dudebros they scored as guest stars with comic book destinies, but the result was only super fluff questions were asked, because they're guest stars. I was following the #TCA15 tag earlier, during the TVD/Originals panel, and I haven't watched TVD in years, but the smaller panel brewed much more thoughtful questions about character development and storyarc, and crossover mechanics.

I think the make-up of the panel was a mistake, but the size apparently wasn't. I read several tweets from critics who said that usually the large panel doesn't work, but this one was really fun and entertaining. And that's their only goal, really, is to make the critics in the room engaged and intrigued. As fans, we'd rather get the in-depth character questions, but I think a lot of TCA attendees don't cover these shows at that level, so that's not always what the panels are going for. Just my take.

I think some of it is down to CW bosses valuing courting male viewers over female viewers as Mark Pedowitz comments demonstrate

All told, Pedowitz is happy with the network’s current balance of genre vs. non-genre fare. For one, he noted, “We’ve gone from a 70/30 [female/male viewer] mix to 60/40. So we’ve brought men back to the fold.”

Hence the emphasis on comic cannon vs. good organic storytelling

ETA: or what @tv echo just said

Edited by Genki
  • Love 1

It's idiotic. And even if it was a CW decision, after the twitterverse bombarded them with tweets about it, they should have done something.  And changing the title form heroes and villains to costumed heroes and villains doesn't count.

Two, the CW wants to change its old rep of being the teen drama network that appeals mostly to girls and show that they are a network that'll attract the male demo as well.  Hence, you've got all these men on stage playing DC "heroes and villains". 

So they're saying "We're not a network for teen girls any more, we're one for teen boys.:"

"She goes from avenging her sister to honoring her sister to becoming her sister."@MzKatieCassidy on Black Canary arc. #TCA15 @CW_Arrow

Ergo she's excited to become a second rate Sara.  I'd have more respect for her if she could put together her own, consistent character instead of just being happy she gets to put on the mask and beat people up.

• Love 6

Ray can get his own show. As long as Felicity stays where she is. They are really trying to sell that Oliver is dead storyline. Maybe they should have let SA stay at home to make it somewhat believable. One thing that I find truly weird though: On the one hand they want to promote only certain characters and therefore exclude people. But yet they can't even stick up for their decision. Either you stick up for what you are trying to sell or you do it differently to begin with. The way they went about it is just a little hypocritical. As far as appealing to the demo. I assume that 2 more women might also appeal to men. Even if Laurel is a comic book character, men wouldn't say no to Felicity or Iris. 

• Love 2

If they want to be less teen drama network, with all due respect, they should ease down on the love triangles and dummy love interests (cough *Ray Palmer* cough) and focus on building believable characters - both male and female.

• Love 12

Reflects my feelings...

Jacqueline ‏@itshandled  6m6 minutes ago
Commended Arrow/Flash about the many strong female characters. Then, #TCA15 panel only has ONE woman on it. That's extremely disappointing.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/tca15?f=realtime&src=hash

Jacqueline @itshandled  ·  4m 4 minutes ago
The other ladies may not wear formal hero costumes but the significance of their representation is equally as great. #TCA15 #Arrow #Flash

https://twitter.com/itshandled

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Excuse me?!!

Tell me it doesn't mean, more mature = more male?!

*chokes* *chokes* *chokes*

I think it means separately--not as much teen focus (more mature), and I honestly don't know or care WTF "more male" means because EVERY OTHER NETWORK caters to men. Women had like WE, Oxygen, Lifetime, and unofficially The CW. I mean, I want all my shows to stay on the air, and more viewers = better, but I can barely handle the gender problems on the Flarrow programs as is, and those are hardly the only shows on the network with those issues. If The CW is going to focus more on dudes, can we at least get more women in the writers' rooms so that they can speak up for the female characters?

• Love 6

I think the make-up of the panel was a mistake, but the size apparently wasn't. I read several tweets from critics who said that usually the large panel doesn't work, but this one was really fun and entertaining. And that's their only goal, really, is to make the critics in the room engaged and intrigued. As fans, we'd rather get the in-depth character questions, but I think a lot of TCA attendees don't cover these shows at that level, so that's not always what the panels are going for. Just my take.

Yeah, I saw those tweets as well, but I also saw journos sounding legit relieved that 14 out of 16 people in the panel got to speak *anything* at all, because they've had big panels before where a lot of folks didn't get to say anything. It is a double edged sword situation for both panelists and critics.

OTOH, I think there was a whole lot of love for the shows, and for Greg Berlanti in particular in the audience there, and this always happens -- if the journos like the show, and the people, they get mellow during the panel and only ask happy-go-lucky stuff, and save whatever more complex questions they have for one-on-one interviews.

If they are aiming for a more male audience shouldn't they put more females on the panel besides KC who compared to Candice Willa Danielle and the Faboulus Emily isn't all that? As a male I like beautiful women who are tough smart and likeable on my Superhero shows!

• Love 2

As far as appealing to the demo. I assume that 2 more women might also appeal to men. Even if Laurel is a comic book character, men wouldn't say no to Felicity or Iris. 

Truly, most of the male reviews of the show find Felicity hot and she's a part of the reason they watch.  How stupid not to have EBR there, when she was in town anyway.

From Alan Sepinwall...

(*) You'll note Cassidy was the only woman from either show. After the panel, Berlanti admitted to a small group of reporters that he had messed up on that. They were juggling which actors to bring, ultimately deciding to mainly bring people who played costumed heroes or villains, because the CW was going to put all the costumes on display in the hotel lobby. But even given that, he acknowledged they could have brought the actresses who played Huntress or Cupid, and that it was a mistake to not have more women there, particularly given how much interest there is in characters like Felicity and Caitlin.

'The Flash' & 'Arrow' stars team up to talk heroes, villains and spin-offs
By Alan Sepinwall  @Sepinwall | SUNDAY, JAN 11, 2015 4:08 PM
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-flash-arrow-stars-team-up-to-talk-heroes-villains-and-spin-offs/

EDITED:  I didn't realize that statsgirl had posted this article link in the Starling City Media thread.  Sorry for  the double post.  Sometimes it's difficult to decide which thread to post something in.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

That answer makes no sense. Diggle was there, rendering that reasoning invalid. And you would have brought Cupid or Huntress before Felicity, Caitlin, Iris, or Thea? That's...I just...why...

I'm sorry, I'm going to keep going on this: "It was a mistake to not have more women there, particularly given how much interest there is in characters like Felicity and Caitlin." How is it still a surprise that female characters are popular? How is it still a surprise that when you have an underrepresented population, the few characters who represent those populations will receive above-average interest? Why don't you want to show off your female characters and actors? Your very few actors of color?

Okay, I have to step away from the computer before I get even crabbier about this.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 14

And you would have brought Cupid or Huntress before Felicity, Caitlin, Iris, or Thea? That's...I just...why...

Because that were the only characters he could think of in that moment. Trying so hard to come up with a last minute excuse he forgot all about Nyssa, the one female character who is alive and actually wearing a costume she deserves.

• Love 7

From the Alan Sepinwall piece:

But even given that, he acknowledged they could have brought the actresses who played Huntress or Cupid, and that it was a mistake to not have more women there, particularly given how much interest there is in characters like Felicity and Caitlin.

Did Greg Berlanti fall and hit his head?  Bring two actors who characters are not currently on or expected to be on the show anytime soon just because they wear costumes?  While at the same time admitting that there's a great deal of interest in Felicity (who is a legitimate hero, whose "costume" happens to be heels and a cute dress) and Caitlin?  That makes no sense, right?  Just bring the damn costumes, if that's so important to you. I just, wow.  I though Berlanti was supposed to be the one we could rely on to bring sense to the proceedings.

Bless David Ramsey for bringing some truth to the whole thing.

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 12