Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I think he uses nicknames for everyone? I don't know, I don't pay attention when he is on.

Anyway, the "Blondie" thing isn't really on him, is it? Maybe the writers were going for a Sawyer thing, except this dude hasn't got the charm to pull it off.

• Love 8

Yes, I definitely think the writers were going for a Sawyer thing--the guy who proactively pushes people away because of his pain--and I couldn't stand Sawyer's one-note tone and dumbass nickname thing, either. But I think it's just a matter of opinion, because I know a lot of people find it charming or funny, at least. It says nothing to me about RG IRL.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, looptab said:

I think he uses nicknames for everyone? I don't know, I don't pay attention when he is on.

Anyway, the "Blondie" thing isn't really on him, is it? Maybe the writers were going for a Sawyer thing, except this dude hasn't got the charm to pull it off.

I amended my previous comment, if anyone wants to go back and read it.

ETA: I don't get his reading on Oliver whatsoever. Maybe he's being told by someone that Wild Dog is a mirror to Oliver but he's not remotely like Oliver. Pre-Island!Ollie was selfish and wanted what he wanted and didn't consider Laurel's heart and mind when he cheated on her with Sara. But post-island Oliver was trying to make a new path and life after everything. And IMO was more humble after the Island. He was struggling with his inner darkness after going through a crapton of Hell on Earth. But IMO Oliver was confident in his skills but never arrogant like I think Wild Dog is.

If RG is drawing comparisons to himself and the lead character of his own volition, well he's missing the mark.  If he's being told that this is how he should envision the character...well, NOPE, whoever is telling him that is wrong.

He might be closer to Roy but Roy also didn't seem to dismiss Felicity out of hand by calling her "Blondie".

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

Yes, I definitely think the writers were going for a Sawyer thing--the guy who proactively pushes people away because of his pain--and I couldn't stand Sawyer's one-note tone and dumbass nickname thing, either. But I think it's just a matter of opinion, because I know a lot of people find it charming or funny, at least. It says nothing to me about RG IRL.

Yeah - personally, I started accepting it when I warmed up to the character :)

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't get his reading on Oliver whatsoever. Maybe he's being told by someone that Wild Dog is a mirror to Oliver but he's not remotely like Oliver. Pre-Island!Ollie was selfish and wanted what he wanted and didn't consider Laurel's heart and mind when he cheated on her with Sara.

Yes, this was actually the thing that bugged me from that Q&A--how many times he compared WD/Rene to GA/Oliver. I see very few parallels. He's more like Roy in terms of personality and like Laurel in terms of attitude and (unearned) high opinion of herself/her skills. Oliver's high opinion of his skills in S1 was presented and proven to be a rational evaluation. His mission was not self-centered, as he was just in it to get it done and probably die in the process, not to glorify himself or be a hero or whatever. Having some sort of trauma in his past is also not unique to Rene or Oliver, and what I've gathered from it--that something bad went down in the military--also doesn't connect to Oliver.

So uh yeah, either RG has puffed himself up about his importance to Oliver's narrative/the show, or people BTS have done that for him. But, in a common refrain from this season, none of this is actually coming across on-screen.

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, looptab said:

Yeah - personally, I started accepting it when I warmed up to the character :)

I never had a problem with Sawyer calling everyone a stupid nickname because he was on a level playing field with everyone else because he was introduced right along with everyone else. They all had faults and foibles and we learned about them all together. If Sawyer had come along say 3 seasons in as part of the Others or the Tailies and started throwing around nicknames I would have hated him just like I kind of hate Wild Dong.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

-- On whether Wild Dog will stop calling Felicity "Blondie," RG: "Absolutely not. Don't ask me again."

It is the writers who are having Wild Dog call Felicity "Blondie" in spite of the fact that she keeps asking him not to but as an actor, he's able to go to the writers and say "I'm getting a lot of flack on social media for calling Felicity "Blondie".  Can we do something about that?" (i.e. the naming, not the social media).

It is a sad fact that being a Latino actor in the US unless you have the looks of Antonio Sabato Jr. (yes, he's Italian) or the talent of John Leguziamo, it's a very hard road to travel.*  Other than Rush, which got cancelled after 10 episodes, this is the best gig he's had.  Making it work would help his career. 

It's clicked for him, or he's been told, that having Rene associated with Oliver is going to be good for his character ("the writers wrote a character to mirror [Oliver]").  He hasn't figured out that Felicity is the springboard that helped to launch Barry Allen which led to The Flash, and then Ray Palmer which got the character on LoT.  Pissing off Felicity fans by saying "Absolutely not. Don't ask me again" is not doing him any good when Wild Dog is already marginal in terms of fandom response.  He needs the character to stick on one of the TV shows, launching a comic book series is not going to do him much good except at cons.

ETA:  having seen the video now, I think some of what I'm picking up may be cultural.  But I do think that Echo Kellum, whose character also got established via an association with Felicity, needs to take RG aside and give him some social media tips.

* Carman Aguirrez, author, playwright, actress and revolutionary, titled her second memoir "Third Mexican Hooker" because those were the only roles she was getting as a Chilean actress, maids or hookers who weren't even important enough to be named.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It is the writers who are having Wild Dog call Felicity "Blondie" in spite of the fact that she keeps asking him not to but as an actor, he's able to go to the writers and say "I'm getting a lot of flack on social media for calling Felicity "Blondie".  Can we do something about that?" (i.e. the naming, not the social media).

It is a sad fact that being a Latino actor in the US unless you have the looks of Antonio Sabato Jr. (yes, he's Italian) or the talent of John Leguziamo, it's a very hard road to travel.*  Other than Rush, which got cancelled after 10 episodes, this is the best gig he's had.  Making it work would help his career. 

It's clicked for him that having Rene associated with Oliver is going to be good for his character.  He hasn't figured out that Felicity is the springboard that helped to launch Barry Allen which led to The Flash, and then Ray Palmer which got the character on LoT.  Pissing off Felicity fans by saying "Absolutely not. Don't ask me again" is not doing him any good when Wild Dog is already marginal in terms of fandom response.  He needs the character to stick on one of the TV shows, launching a comic book series is not going to do him much good except at cons.

You see, I'm a Felicity fan, and definitely not a Wild Dog fan, nor do I particularly enjoy the actor. But I absolutely can't get behind this kind of reasoning.

Would it be smarter for him not to come across as dismissive of Felicity or EBR? Sure. But I don't think he should address the writers about a stupid nickname because of the fandom, or be careful to what he says in fear of pissing off the fandom. As long as he doesn't insult her, he is free to answer his questions however he wants.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 2

I like Rick Gonzalez but I just don't care about Wild Dog at the moment. I mean he might grow on me in the coming episodes but if they keep writing him like they are now, then I highly doubted. 

Anyways, from the vibe I got from the video, he promoting his character very hard as this heir apparent to the Green Arrow throne. He keeps comparing his character with Oliver season 1 which I am guessing is a talking point since he didn't watch the show before getting this role. As for EBR/felicity, I don't think he dislikes her or anything like that. I just think he is so focused on promoting his character and aligning himself with the lead character/actor that he doesn't see DR/EBR as people he should care about. He has his talking point and he is sticking with them regardless of what is happening onscreen. He reminds of me of KC in that way. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, looptab said:

You see, I'm a Felicity fan, and definitely not a Wild Dog fan, nor do I particularly enjoy the actor. But I absolutely can't get behind this kind of reasoning.

Would it be smarter for him not to come across as dismissive of Felicity or EBR? Sure. But I don't think he should address the writers about a stupid nickname because of the fandom, or be careful to what he says in fear of pissing off the fandom. As long as he doesn't insult her, he is free to answer his questions however he wants.

I would appreciate him addressing why the character calls her 'Blondie' at all. He could say, "I don't really know, that's something the writers wanted". He could address why he doesn't honor Felicity's request to stop.  Like he could say well, "It's probably not the best thing for WD to keep annoying Felicity but he's got a stubborn streak that doesn't always serve him. Who knows? Maybe one day he'll stop being stubborn". 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, looptab said:

Composers and writers of books can work in a vacuum.  Some movie directors and producers can too (e.g. Werner Herzog) as long as they don't care about getting their next movie funded.  The rest of the entertainment work need people to watch what they produce.

Does fandom represent the casual viewer  completely?  No. But chances are if a lot of the fandom are reacting a particular way, many casual viewers are too.

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I would appreciate him addressing why the character calls her 'Blondie' at all. He could say, "I don't really know, that's something the writers wanted". He could address why he doesn't honor Felicity's request to stop.  Like he could say well, "It's probably not the best thing for WD to keep annoying Felicity but he's got a stubborn streak that doesn't always serve him. Who knows? Maybe one day he'll stop being stubborn". 

Perfect response, IMO.  In character and almost endearing.

• Love 2
Just now, statsgirl said:

Perfect response, IMO.  In character and almost endearing.

It would be so easy for him to take a less defensive attitude towards a fair question. And it would help me think WD has some layers because right now. I don't see it.

• Love 4

I'm just not comfortable with the idea that because there is (currently) a dearth of Latino actors in steady gigs, RG should be extra careful about how he comes across w/r/t his white coworkers. It's not on him to fix the problems of the industry, and I don't think that EBR-specific fans are going to be the thing that makes or breaks his career.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Composers and writers of books can work in a vacuum.  Some movie directors and producers can too (e.g. Werner Herzog) as long as they don't care about getting their next movie funded.  The rest of the entertainment work need people to watch what they produce.

Does fandom represent the casual viewer  completely?  No. But chances are if a lot of the fandom are reacting a particular way, many casual viewers are too.

And I do agree it would be a smart move if he tried to appease the fandom. Except, I don't like the idea that he has to have a certain behavior or else...honestly, it sounds very mafia-like.

• Love 1

The whole "Blondie" thing doesn't bother me that much. It fits his character - arrogant and brash. But I think what really gives it a negative vibe is the fact that Felicity and him haven't had any real scenes together. No actual conversation. So the "Blondie" reads as him being disrespectful and dismissive. If they had butted heads at the start I could see it as him trying to get on her nerves as it is, it just comes across poorly. 

4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

I love her hair.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Chaser said:

The whole "Blondie" thing doesn't bother me that much. It fits his character - arrogant and brash. But I think what really gives it a negative vibe is the fact that Felicity and him haven't had any real scenes together. No actual conversation. So the "Blondie" reads as him being disrespectful and dismissive. If they had butted heads at the start I could see it as him trying to get on her nerves as it is, it just comes across poorly. 

I love her hair.

I love the whole look. Including the tiny antlers, LOL! 

That's my problem with the "Blondie" ... it comes across to me as disrespectful and dismissive as well. I'm sure it's meant to be a "thing" with WD and maybe later he and Felicity will share a moment and bond but it annoys the hell out of me right now. It doesn't help that RG is kinda one-note as an actor.

• Love 4

Yeah, the blondie thing doesn't work for me because of the actor, not the line.  It's delivered in the same tone I'd expect to someone to say "toots" or "babe".  It's not teasing because they don't have that kind of relationship or any relationship.  And maybe he has nicknames for other team members (I don't recall) but no one else has asked him to stop.

• Love 4

That picture needs to be a poster. They'd sell a bunch of them at cons.

40 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I'm just not comfortable with the idea that because there is (currently) a dearth of Latino actors in steady gigs, RG should be extra careful about how he comes across w/r/t his white coworkers. It's not on him to fix the problems of the industry, and I don't think that EBR-specific fans are going to be the thing that makes or breaks his career.

I don't think it's EBR-specific fans.  It's  the whole way Wild Dog comes across.  This is just an example.

He doesn't need to save the industry, just keep getting jobs and having a good run on Arrow will do that.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TwistedandBored said:

I like Rick Gonzalez but I just don't care about Wild Dog at the moment. I mean he might grow on me in the coming episodes but if they keep writing him like they are now, then I highly doubted. 

Anyways, from the vibe I got from the video, he promoting his character very hard as this heir apparent to the Green Arrow throne. He keeps comparing his character with Oliver season 1 which I am guessing is a talking point since he didn't watch the show before getting this role. As for EBR/felicity, I don't think he dislikes her or anything like that. I just think he is so focused on promoting his character and aligning himself with the lead character/actor that he doesn't see DR/EBR as people he should care about. He has his talking point and he is sticking with them regardless of what is happening onscreen. He reminds of me of KC in that way. 

This.  I have a hard time believing there's any reason to worry about SA going away, but if I had any doubts, I would think from that interview that Wild Dong would be taking over.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chaser said:

Has he nicknamed any other character or just Felicity?

Evelyn is Short Stop, Rory is Rags, and I can't remember his nickname for Curtis even though I'm sure he gave him one. He's not targeting Felicity specifically, he's an all around asshole. And it says a lot about him that the only person he hasn't given a dismissive nickname to (prior to Dig coming back) is Oliver. He's the only one Rene doesn't see as being lower on the totem pole than him. This even considering there are two certified geniuses, one of whom has been fighing this fight way longer than him, and a guy in magical bullet-repelling threads.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, bijoux said:

He's not targeting Felicity specifically, he's an all around asshole. 

I agree. It's also why it's really hard for me to connect to or even want to like his character. Roy had a chip on his shoulder, but it didn't bother me. Maybe it was because I've always like Roy Harper in the comics or because I liked CH; I'm not sure. Rene wants to help people, and that's a good thing. It's the assholish behavior that surrounds the rest of him that's a complete turn-off. 

• Love 5

Reading RG's answers the vibe I get is that he thinks a little too much of himself and his character. A little humility wouldn't kill and reading how WD would defeat anyone just makes me roll my eyes. His character is arrogant and rude to everyone so I really can't stand him. He reminds me so much of LL, lol.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Carrie Ann said:

don't really have a problem with him being dismissive of his character calling Felicity "Blondie" because he doesn't write for the show, and if he thinks it's in character, then...I agree. Also it was fanon for so long that Roy called her that, that I wouldn't have even noticed it. The constant one-note arrogant tone Rene uses, that I do notice. 

When was it fanon that Roy called her "Blondie"? I have never heard that before.  He never said it in the show, right?

7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's clicked for him, or he's been told, that having Rene associated with Oliver is going to be good for his character ("the writers wrote a character to mirror [Oliver]").  He hasn't figured out that Felicity is the springboard that helped to launch Barry Allen which led to The Flash, and then Ray Palmer which got the character on LoT.  Pissing off Felicity fans by saying "Absolutely not. Don't ask me again" is not doing him any good when Wild Dog is already marginal in terms of fandom response.  He needs the character to stick on one of the TV shows, launching a comic book series is not going to do him much good except at cons.

ETA:  having seen the video now, I think some of what I'm picking up may be cultural.  But I do think that Echo Kellum, whose character also got established via an association with Felicity, needs to take RG aside and give him some social media tips.

* Carman Aguirrez, author, playwright, actress and revolutionary, titled her second memoir "Third Mexican Hooker" because those were the only roles she was getting as a Chilean actress, maids or hookers who weren't even important enough to be named.

Are we seriously expecting an actor, especially a brand new actor to the show to go up to the writers and tell them how to do their jobs? There are plenty of dick characters on tv, he doesnt need to tell them to change anything just because some don't enjoy it.

• Love 7

He would not be telling them how to do their jobs, he'd be reporting on the feedback he's getting from people engaged in social media about the show. Then they can decide if they want to do anything about it.

Seems to me they really want us to like the character.

Edited by statsgirl

I like Rick and I have since I was a teen. He was in two movies I was obsessed with when I was younger, coach carter and illegal tender. I dont care for wild dog but I dont care for any of the newbies or the direction of this show. I've actually met rick at a buffalo wild wings lol, oddly one of the few kinda famous people I've met, he is honestly just this tough puerto rican dude from Brooklyn and he has difficulty turning it off lol I'm a minority, not puerto rican ,however I grew up with a lot of dudes like him and I do think it's a cultural thing. Obviously, no one is obligated to like him. I'm just explaining to say that I truly dont think he dislikes felicity or EBR but he's not the type to well...kiss butt. I don't know how else to put it. They are probably not that close because they have little to nothing in common and his character has no scenes with her so my guess is he doesn't get people asking him questions about her. His don't ask me again jab I'm certain was just a joke. But if folks have an issue with him calling her blondie they really should take it up with the writers who think it's cute. Doubtful rick cares what his character calls her. He's just reading the lines.

Juliana/Tina is cute.

• Love 4

Couple of comments about the Blondie thing.

I don't like that someone uses a nickname when the person specifically asks them not to (consent matters). I don't like it with Blondie, I didn't like it with Speedy, and I don't like it with Wild Dog. And 2 of these could be offensive for the person being called this (yes, Blondie comes across as derogatory, similar to Bimbo).

Said that, I don't like that RG said "Stop asking". I think that it is a fair question and I don't like a bit that someone is telling me what as a fan I should or should not be caring about.

Specially in a season when I feel that a lot of people behind the scenes is telling me that I don't understand their wonderful work (particularly the writing).

And particularly in a season where female characters are having mimimal roles. Felicity, the certified genius, is comms operator and has a boyfriend. Thea is helping 2 men to do their jobs. Evelyn is there for almost nothing. Reporter did her reporter work at the beginning but now is not reporting and is either unprofessional (starting a relationship with someone that she should be reporting about) or using sex/ romance to get information.

As a female, I don't like any of this. And I don't like having a man telling me as a fan to stop asking why a fictional man is using a potentially derogatory nickname when the fictional woman is telling him (repeatedly) not to. I don't care if he does it with others as long as they don't ask him to stop.

If this had been season 1 of Arrow I would have never watched it. I still don't watch live or buy merchandising. I still haven't seen the last couple of episodes.

Edited by emarasmoak
  • Love 21

Said that, I don't like that RG said "Stop asking". I think that it is a fair question and I don't like a bit that someone is telling me what as a fan I should or should not be caring about.

If you watch the video it was pretty much said in a joking manor. 

In other news, in what world is the actor responsible for his character's dialogue?  Especially a recurring character, NOT a regular, not the Star of the show?  If you (general you) have a problem with RENE calling FELICITY Blondie, take it up with the Writers. They're the ones that WRITE the dialogue that the actors say.  

As has been pointed out a few times, Wild Dog has nicknames for all of the characters.  He just called Dig "Hoss", Evelyn is "Short Stuff" (I think), Rory is "Rags".  I'm surprised he hasn't already coined "Professor" for Curtis.  This is how the WRITERS believe/want the character to talk, that's not on the actor.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If you watch the video it was pretty much said in a joking manor. 

In other news, in what world is the actor responsible for his character's dialogue?  

Agreed that the character calling Felicity Blondie against her wishes is in the writers/ TPTB. As I said before, I don't care if WD does it with others as long as they don't ask him to stop.

Regarding the line "Stop asking", this is on the actor. He may be joking, but still is asking me (as a fan) to stop making questions. I don't like it.

Edited by emarasmoak
  • Love 2

Here's video of most of the DR/NM panel at Fan Expo Vancouver on Nov. 12 - for some quotes, I've used spoiler tags just to be safe because it's not always clear if DR's comments are based on wishes/speculation or actual knowledge of future storylines...

David Ramsay & Neal McDonough - Fan Expo Vancouver 2016 - Arrow Panel
Published on Nov 16, 2016, by Angelika Diana

-- Fan commented that Arrow never really deals with mental health issues, including PTSD, and asked if the show will deal with those issues in the future. DR responded that they did touch on it a little with Rene/Diggle and in the past with Oliver, but they probably don't do enough of it. He then said it was a producer question and the producers do respond to social media.

-- DR said that Diggle's awkwardness in returning to the team was genuine because he also felt some awkwardness when he returned to filming and there were all these newbies there, but the awkwardness passed quickly.

-- On what they'd like to see happen for their characters, DR: "Well, I think Diggle should now have yet another baby that Flash - (audience laughs) I'm like, you know, Lyla could've just had another child. Um, I don't know, man... I kinda thought that they might squeeze in John Stewart someplace for John Diggle... Well, they've talked about that, but I don't think that's going to happen... I think you'll continue kinda seeing, um - ...

Felicity and John Diggle, probably more so than any other characters, really facilitate the evolution of our hero, Oliver Queen. And, um - and I think the question of whether or not he's going to [burr?-unintelligible word]. I think that's going to come back under the table. I think you're going to see Oliver [I think he meant to say Diggle here] and Felicity in particular kind of, um, help our hero even become more of a hero, believe it or not. And I think they kinda facilitate that evolution. So, I think that's a big part of that. And I know that kinda takes away from their personal lives, but that's TV Land too. You have a hero and it's called Arrow for a reason. And it's about the evolution - and though you have these offshoots and these other relationships, it really is about Arrow - and these other characters kinda facilitate that. So I think that's a big part of it. And, I think the other part of is, I think you're going to flesh out what's happening between Lyla and Diggle because Lyla is now Amanda Waller. She commands, um, you know, a kinda shady, nefarious group of superheroes in the Suicide Squad. And, um, even though we aren't really talking about Suicide Squad, she's still part of that organization. So I think we'll kinda flesh that out. And maybe we'll see some type or another, what happens in the future in terms of JJ and how he becomes Connor Hawke and all this other stuff... There's a lot more story to tell with Diggle, uh, but I think the big part of it is how he helps Oliver become [a more effective hero - not sure of these words]."

-- On whether Oliver and Diggle will continue to alternate being the voice of reason for each other, DR: "I think so. I think you'll see more of that... I think for the most part - and you'll see some of it this season -

Stephen has a moment where Diggle is there once again to console, exhort, and, uh - because Oliver [gets/is?] going through something very traumatic.

And, um, I think, even though you see that kind of see-saw in terms of who takes the lead role in kind of being the mentor, I think for the most part you'll see Diggle taking that [mantle?-not sure of word]."

-- Since Diggle is the old Team Arrow member, with all the newbies, on whether he ever felt he had to add this nuance of Diggle asserting himself as being the #2 man to Oliver Queen and always will be, DR: "Challenge, right? ... No, not really... With all the actors who've come to the show... it's been great... I mean, everyone's been really cool...

Even though we've kinda gotten away from it so far, it'll be going back to kinda that core three because we really do think that's kinda the core of the show [not sure of these exact words]... But we'll find out through these - this new blood in terms of who fits into that. And I think they're kind of trying to figure that out right now. I think there will be additions to the team. Right? We lost a major piece of it. There needs to be - I think there needs to be more - some more feminine energy. It's kind of male dominated. And, um, we'll see. We'll see what happens with that.

But no, no one's questioning the Diggle, my friend. No one's questioning #2."

-- On how they incorporate the source material (comics) into their work, DR: "There was no John Diggle who existed in the comic book before this. Um, he was created because you guys fell in love with him and now he's in the DC universe and I really have you guys to thank for that... There's no canon. There's no existing [unintelligible word] for John Diggle. So he's being made up as we go along, which is great, because 20 years from now, someone else will play him and it'll be great to look back and think, 'wow, it started here.' So there's no canon for John, which is awesome."

-- NM pointed out that there are only two characters who have been in all 100 episodes of Arrow: "Stephen is obviously one. The other is sitting right next to me."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

He then said it was a producer question and the producers do respond to social media.

They respond by retweeting reviews that love the show and justifying themselves to criticism.

Sorry, David, don't believe  you about that any more.

• Love 1