Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Soulfire said:

Each photo op session lasted different times, and I can give estimates for each I attended (Stephen solo, Emily solo, Emily and Charlotte duo, Stephen and Emily duo, and a David Ramsey solo) but the Stephen and Emily duo specifically lasted longer than the given time (11.15-11.30am). The photo session before it finished early, so they decided to start Stephen and Emily's at around 10.45 instead -- and it ran til about 11.20. So roughly 35mins ish?

Thank you :) Glad to hear that in the end the S/E one lasted longer than what was scheduled - 15 minutes seemed a ridiculously short amount of time.

Can't wait to read your report on the weekend :) 

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1
(edited)

More kudos from the TV Upfronts...

Upfronts 2016: The Overachievers
by Nellie Andreeva • May 20, 2016 4:56pm
http://deadline.com/2016/05/upfronts-2016-the-overachievers-tv-producers-deadline-1201760180/

As we close the book on another broadcast development season, here is Deadline’s annual honor roll of those who excelled at the 2016 upfronts. Also included is a list of pods and independent production companies with multiple series on broadcast and cable:
The Uber Producers: Almost four decades after Aaron Spelling ruled ABC’s primetime with seven hours of drama programming a week, Greg Berlanti, Shonda Rhimes and Dick Wolf are enjoying a similar dominant presence, each with five drama series on one network — the CW, ABC and NBC, respectively. Berlanti added the new comic book-based Riverdale to his four returning series on the CW: Supergirl, moving from CBS, The Flash, Arrow and DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, four of which he also co-created. His company also produces NBC’s Blindspot, which was renewed for a second season, bringing Berlanti’s tally to six broadcast drama series. Wolf expanded his Chicago franchise to four series with the pickup of Chicago Justice. He also has Law & Order: SVU and a series order by NBC for Law & Order: You The Jury reality spinoff, with an anthology offshoot, Law & Order: True Crime, on fast-track development. Rhimes’ company Shondaland is behind five drama series on ABC, with the newly picked up Romeo & Juliet sequel Still Star-Crossed joining returning series Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal, which Rhimes created, as well as How To Get Away With Murder and The Catch.

Edited by tv echo
5 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I know I stand alone in this, and I am okay with that, but bring the beard back! The closer he gets to being clean shaven, the more SA's hotness level plunges for me. 

I agree. The scruff does a lot for him. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I think he looks great with the stubble but the full on beard is a no for me. It makes him look ten years older than he really is. I think his best look is stubble and slightly longer hair..basically his Oliver Queen look in most episodes.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, spartan said:

lies just to feed the gossip about olicity

That is a pretty strong statement.  May I ask what you are basing your statement on?  Surely you must have some sort of proof that those numbers are not correct to react so strongly.  I'm honestly curious.  Thank you. 

• Love 3

I think it might be a combination of the long surfer hair & clean shaven that is a hotness killer for me. The full on beard works, but not necessarily in the summer, he also needs to trim it better it can be full but it needs to be better managed so it doesn't look scraggly. However, I don't mind him more clean shaven, you could actually see his dimples and his piercing eyes. That being said I do think he does look better with some stubble and a slightly longer hair. Basically classic mid-season OQ. Regardless of how he adorns it, the man has one sexy jawline. 

It also helps when he is not wearing some stupid hat indoors all the time, his wardrobe does I think impact his hotness factor, sometimes he just looks like bum.

I'm talking about the suit and general Styling...I think this great suit was his best fitted look so far for upfronts.

I prefer scruff to full blown beard but SA is pretty enough to carry off both looks, IMO.

• Love 3
(edited)

These SA interviews included some Arrow/TV stuff (see my transcriptions below)...

Stephen Amell Exclusive Interview - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Published on May 19, 2016, by HeyUGuys

-- When asked to compare Oliver Queen to Casey Jones, SA: "Oliver would be more like Leonardo or Raphael than he is like Casey Jones... Oliver, you could argue, is like a Ninja because he's trained by the League of Assassins, amongst other people.  Casey Jones is not trained by anybody, right? He doesn't think with his head, he thinks with his heart, and he charges into situations, and he makes mistakes, but they're borne out of enthusiasm. So hopefully, they're easier to forgive."

-- On the increasingly blurred line between cinema and tv, and whether there's a huge difference between working on small screen versus big screen, SA: "Absolutely not, no. And anyone in Hollywood who thinks - anyone who thinks there's a difference between, uh, um, film and television is going to become obsolete within the industry. And if that's your attitude within the studio system, you're being stupid. I mean, the best content that has existed over the past 15 years - the vast majority of it has been on TV.  Mad Men. The Sopranos. Game of Thrones. We have this burgeoning comic book superhero universe on TV that stretches across not only networks, but Marvel and DC, and be it Netflix or ABC or CW. And there is still a prevailing attitude in some corners of the industry that the movies are just above it, and that they're better than it. And it's stupid. It really is. A smart, forward-thinking network studio, whomever, would recognize that the best content is the best content is the best content. And would operate from that principle."

-- When asked about the uncertainty over TV series' fates (like the Agent Carter cancellation) and the fact that his fate (as the star of a big TV series) is in other people's hands, SA: "No, I mean, we do one season of Arrow at a time. Season 5 could be the last season, or we could - or I could be here like the Supernatural boys going into Season 12. It all kinda depends. Some of the best - you know, Greg Berlanti who created Arrow - some of his favorite television shows have had their best seasons in Season 6 and Season 7. Every year really is like a new film. If you think of it that way, in that you got a new villain, you have to add new elements - you add new characters, you take things away, characters change, characters mature, you have a different slot of directors. And so a season can really pop. A season can be a little bit lackluster. But you never know. So, as long as we're interested in telling the story - I mean, obviously there are economics behind it - and, you know, the more episodes you do, the more the network wants you to do. But as long as we're interested in telling the story, we'll keep going."

-- On Kevin Smith expressing an interest in writing two episodes of Arrow, SA: "Well, I wouldn't want to just take away the writers from the writers' room. But if he would like to - you know, I know that we've had Geoff Johns kind of, uh, cameo on episodes of Arrow. And I think Kevin Smith would be a great - look, he wrote Green Arrow and it would be fantastic to have him involved. I would love to have him involved."

Stephen Amell on Ninja Turtles, Arrow/Supergirl crossover and WWE return
Published on May 18, 2016, by Loaded Online

-- SA: "You know, actually, when I booked the role of Arrow, I didn't do a ton of research prior to the pilot because the pilot was sorta the story unto itself. And it's - everything on the page and my interpretation of it seemed to jive with what the producers and director were looking for. So I didn't do a ton of research." (Same thing for TMNT2 because it's an origin story for Casey Jones and not the finished product that he is in the comics.)

-- On possibility of Supergirl crossover, SA:"I think that it's highly likely that if you have four DC superhero properties on one network, that that is an opportunity that may never exist again and that has certainly never existed in the history of television. So I would expect that we would do something."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

At the Nocking Point party in Birmingham, fan asked SA this question and here's his response (uh, yeah, stick to acting, Stephen)...

Stephen Amell and the Arrow episode he would write if all the writers went off sick. Funny answer
Published on May 21, 2016, by Catherine Wright

SA: "It's going to open up with Oliver and Diggle playing chess. That's going to be the entire teaser. The end of the teaser is going to be Diggle looking up at Oliver and going, 'Checkmate'. And then we open up and, uh, Oliver and Thea and Felicity and Diggle and maybe Felicity's mom are having breakfast Oliver cooked... And then we move on to Act 2. We decide to go out for lunch. Want to know why? It's Sunday. We think to ourselves, 'hey now, Sunday Funday.' And uh, apparently we learn that Donna can drink 7, 8, 9, 10 champagne cocktails and just (snaps fingers) keep right on trucking. That's Act 2... Uh, Act 3. Oliver works out because, boy, did he eat a lot of food. Diggle doesn't work out and just stays ripped. That's Act 3. Uh, Act 4, there's a  little bit of trouble. Let the police handle it, so the team just chills. Act 5, somebody dies... Sorry, too soon? Too soon? ... And Act 6, we find out it was all a dream and they're all in a cell in prison and there's about to be a nuclear strike. The end."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Ha, smart move. City of Heroes 3 is going to be 19-21 May

By the way, here's what's on their website:

City of Heroes #3 will be a weekend convention for fans with Guest Talks, Photo- and Autograph sessions, Evening Entertainment and lots of fun!
As we have changed the format of City of Heroes #3, we are currently negotiating for a new location, which will be announced soon. COH3 will be a smaller, more exclusive event than this years City of Heroes #2.

18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

i don't know that was actually a pretty funny answer.

I totally agree. Maybe it's also because of my wish to see such everyday scenes interspersed every now and then. I particularly enjoyed the part about Oliver working out because, boy, did he eat a lot of food. And Dig just stays ripped. Hee.

• Love 8

I don't get why the writers and MG don't understand the concept of middle ground when it comes to what fans want/expect from Olicity. No one expects a 40 minute episode of domestic tranquillity, but a 6 episode stretch (excluding 420) where they're at odds/barely interacting with each other is not my idea of entertainment.

• Love 18

When asked to compare Oliver Queen to Casey Jones, SA: "Oliver would be more like Leonardo or Raphael than he is like Casey Jones... Oliver, you could argue, is like a Ninja because he's trained by the League of Assassins, amongst other people.  Casey Jones is not trained by anybody, right? He doesn't think with his head, he thinks with his heart, and he charges into situations, and he makes mistakes, but they're borne out of enthusiasm. So hopefully, they're easier to forgive."

It bothers me that I'm getting a parallel between Casey Jones and Laurel's BC.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It bothers me that I'm getting a parallel between Casey Jones and Laurel's BC.

From what I've seen of the previews, at least Casey Jones seems competent. :)

Edited by looptab
  • Love 11
18 minutes ago, looptab said:

"The Arrow Writers: A History of Trolling".

:)

I know he is, but still. I see stuff like that, and I remember MG's comments last season about how fans just want Felicity and Oliver to get married and have babies, and I just shake my head. They should know what would make people happy. 401-407+409 is proof.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

I know he is, but still. I see stuff like that, and I remember MG's comments last season about how fans just want Felicity and Oliver to get married and have babies, and I just shake my head. They should know what would make people happy. 401-407+409 is proof.

Oh, yeah, I know what you meant. My post wasn't a direct answer to yours, just a comment on their tendency to have fun dropping stuff like that on twitter - it's bound to spark some "interesting" conversations :)

I honestly don't know if they really do think that's all Olicity fans want. And if that's the case, they either manage to misread what people tell them, or they come across (and focus on) all the wrong kind of content. Like, the tweet in question, it was in response to a series of tweets recalling all the shippy moments from earlier in the season - the fern, the packed lunch. Now, I don't know that fan specifically, but maybe BS draw his conclusion from them. or maybe he was just joking =)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, looptab said:

Oh, yeah, I know what you meant. My post wasn't a direct answer to yours, just a comment on their tendency to have fun dropping stuff like that on twitter - it's bound to spark some "interesting" conversations :)

I honestly don't know if they really do think that's all Olicity fans want. And if that's the case, they either manage to misread what people tell them, or they come across (and focus on) all the wrong kind of content. Like, the tweet in question, it was in response to a series of tweets recalling all the shippy moments from earlier in the season - the fern, the packed lunch. Now, I don't know that fan specifically, but maybe BS draw his conclusion from them. or maybe he was just joking =)

I hope he was joking ... but even if he weren't, I hope some of the responses gave him stuff to think about. A lot of the replies called for a more stable relationship, for them to be a supercouple fighting crime. A friend suggested having them do normal stuff with the other characters. I saw SmoakAndArrow jump in with a suggestion for a Nick/Nora meets Die Hard scenario. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I hope he was joking ... but even if he weren't, I hope some of the responses gave him stuff to think about. A lot of the replies called for a more stable relationship, for them to be a supercouple fighting crime. A friend suggested having them do normal stuff with the other characters. I saw SmoakAndArrow jump in with a suggestion for a Nick/Nora meets Die Hard scenario. 

Yeah, in this case I honestly think it was a joke all in good fun (still, way to fuel the fire in the fandom :p). About the suggestions in the answers, that's what I meant with either misreading what they read or reading the wrong stuff: let's hope they actually read the well-thought kind :)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Soulfire said:

Saturday began for me with John Barrowman’s panel. He’s hilariously entertaining. He told funny stories from set (including the entire story behind the ‘Fart in my mouth and prove it’ joke)

Next up was an autograph signing with Stephen. Asked him what he thinks Oliver writes in his journal, to which he smiled and said he didn’t know twice in a slow voice and an expression that told me he very much does know, so I called him out on it, telling him that and especially since it was his idea he would know -- to which he laughed heartily. He said maybe Oliver writes “This reminded me of that time on the island... Dear Diary.”

Lame. I laughed and shook my head, he smirked, I thanked him and moved on. 

• Stephen: "Know what Emily said earlier? We should have a female big bad next year.” (David talked about this in his Sunday lounge too, that he thinks Willa Holland would do an awesome big bad.)

Thanks for the exhaustive report. It's wonderful you had a great time but that reads like a really full schedule. Kudos for powering through.

So, what is the origin of the fart joke? 

Oliver keeping a journal was SA's idea? How did I miss this?

I'm going to have to disagree with DR here. While I certainly think Willa has a lot more to offer than what she's getting now, she doesn't really have the presence for the big bad. At least not yet. But a woman big bad, or a recurring bad, like Deadshot, yes, please.

Brandon Routh really sounds very sweet by all accounts.

• Love 1

So the journal was SA's idea? I didn't know. The theme he was adamant for Oliver that would overarch into next year has to be Oliver having a life outside of the lair, isn't it? Given his other recent comments.

Thank you for the recap. :) Glad you had so much fun, and the opportunity to interact with the cast. :) 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, bijoux said:

So, what is the origin of the fart joke? 

The origin of the fart joke is that during filming of 3x20, there's a longer shot of Oliver, with Thea in his arms, Diggle, Felicity, and Malcolm walking towards Ra's and the League. While they were filming John Barrowman told David Ramsey, "I need to fart". And David told him to let it rip, unless it smelled, to which John replied his farts don't smell. (Again, all this while the camera was rolling.) They kept filming the shot, and as soon as the director yelled "Cut!" Stephen turned around rapidly and said to John in a loud voice: "Fart in my mouth and PROVE IT!"

According to John the entire cast broke down in tears.

• Love 2

I came here to see if there was any photos of SA at his TMNT premiere (dude seems to be ecstatic) but there's nothing. This shows you how much we all really care about TMNT. Haha.

Thanks @Soulfire for your in-depth review &report. I'm glad you had a good time!

I was wondering if someone was going to ask BR to step out of the picture. It is a little rude. I'm sure there could have found a nicer way to have him in the picture but not in the pic. I probably would have asked him to be off to side shrugging or giving one of his evil stares. Easy to crop out but not outwardly rude. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Ahhh remember when the CW Twitter account did a bare minimum and did a character countdown for each big episode? 

Seems they've stopped that too :p 

You know, if they can't be bothered to create the graphics, there are tons of fans who do countdowns. Retweet, reblog or repost (using the app on Instagram) them. Takes 2 seconds and their millions of followers get a reminder. Arrow FB has 8.3 million followers. I don't think there's a fan account out there with that reach. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
to clarify that with repost I wasn't suggesting downloading the graphics and then uploading and presenting them as their own
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I came here to see if there was any photos of SA at his TMNT premiere (dude seems to be ecstatic) but there's nothing. This shows you how much we all really care about TMNT. Haha.

He's clean shaven and looking both young and not like himself. Here's a pic with his mom after the premiere.

• Love 3

Hard to recognize him without the beanie ;) But yeah, he looks a lot younger without the beard, and although I prefer him with a longer scruff than he has here, can't object to the look. :)

• Love 3